PDA

View Full Version : NC still lives, so what is the plan?

Jaeon
08-04-12, 16:06
Lately we've had events, people returning, people getting banned which gives the feeling that NC lives.

There's also been discussion about a possible NC:R and an NC3.

I believe that NC is at a crossroad with several paths possible, and it would be great to see a plan being devised.

My question is: Is there one?

Because if there is, perhaps there's some important things to do with NC to help NC:R become a reality:

- The automatic account creation could be reinstated, one that asks for a unique payment of a small ammount.

- Mailing all players back with some sort of explanation that NC still lives, is free to play, and for some $$ you can create a new account, or if you wish to donate for a future project you can do so in a...

...donation area (with a cash goal of X) for some minor tweaking or patching of the more obvious problems plaguing NC now.

I'll make this post short, and to clarify, the overall tone of it is:

Things are happening in NC. It's good to see it's still alive. Perhaps use that to bring some $$ to help out in the overall plan.

Who knows, you might get a few hundreds or thousands of dollars each month - use them to make NC stable somehow, or save it for NC:R.

r2d22k
08-04-12, 17:15
I think the biggest problem at the moment is that they are in a transition state with still many open questions concerning the insolvency. I would bet that this fact makes it hard for them to do much, apart from the events. Withouth everything being finally sorted out they sadly can't do much about the current problems. Registration of a user account also includes making some sort of contract, therefore they have to be careful what they do and when. As far as I know, it may take quite a while till an has insolvency finally and fully been taken care of, but all in all these are just guesses. I am also very interested in the answers to these questions :)

Drachenpaladin
08-04-12, 18:02
Current agenda will be probably getting everyone from ReaKKtor into work, whether under NuKKlear or somewhere else...
When this step is finished then there will be news about the future...

Kamuix99
08-04-12, 18:29
Current agenda will be probably getting everyone from ReaKKtor into work, whether under NuKKlear or somewhere else...
When this step is finished then there will be news about the future...

I think so as well. With the insolvency, Kirk most likely is busy with writing documents for his former employees and to juristic instances. I'm a little surprised that despite these happenings, there goes on so much in game.

aKe`cj
08-04-12, 18:43
I'm a little surprised that despite these happenings, there goes on so much in game.

NC always breathed from the work volunteers put up - same nowadays. I am glad there is still a bunch of die-hard volunteers arround (and it seems some have woken up recently too *waves to hoder*) that keep the patient in some sort of condition that is not yet dead - having Kirk's support and with that, someone that pays for the lung ventilator, helps too of course ;)

so kudoz to t nae', blacky ( :p ), triv and the rest of the team.

MrTrip
08-04-12, 18:48
Right now they are busy banning every account that is still active instead of fixing the problem, soooo have fun *shrugs*

Kamuix99
08-04-12, 20:28
Right now they are busy banning every account that is still active instead of fixing the problem, soooo have fun *shrugs*

We don't need the cheater scum that they are banning out. Either play fair or don't play at all! ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zCXnt8i6BII/TvDeQi1GUzI/AAAAAAAARok/4A5toQ10d6o/s1600/pink-pig-arrested.jpg

gamefreak
08-04-12, 20:40
Banning the duper without fixing the exploit is a bit useless though. After all, if you dupe, you can get your stuff back very fast.

Kamuix99
08-04-12, 21:13
Banning the duper without fixing the exploit is a bit useless though. After all, if you dupe, you can get your stuff back very fast.

You can't because the account is closed permanently and for getting a fresh account, you need contact to KK directly :)

gamefreak
08-04-12, 22:08
You can't because the account is closed permanently and for getting a fresh account, you need contact to KK directly :)
I think most of the people who have played for more than a few years will find it easy to get a new account from somewhere.

hatmankh
08-04-12, 22:27
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=145085

From reading this it seems like they can't actually detect duped items, they're just banning the really obvious dupers who have apartments full of WoC discs and rares. Some of these people might not have even cheated and were just given that stuff by a duper, they still shouldn't of accepted it though.

Faid
08-04-12, 22:28
We don't need the cheater scum that they are banning out. Either play fair or don't play at all! ;)
People who dupe things are hardly "cheater scum" in the grand scheme of things. Now if they actually banned, you know, the people that damage hack or speed hack that'd be something to boast about. And why didn't they do this years ago before the economy was completely screwed? Kudos for finally making a little bit of an effort I guess :rolleyes:

aKe`cj
08-04-12, 23:09
People who dupe things are hardly "cheater scum" in the grand scheme of things. Now if they actually banned, you know, the people that damage hack or speed hack that'd be something to boast about. And why didn't they do this years ago before the economy was completely screwed? Kudos for finally making a little bit of an effort I guess :rolleyes:

I was gonna write a long reply to this, but I'll keep it short:

1. In my book, massmurder does not justify rape. Screwing the economy just as well breaks a vital part of a MMO-RPG/FPS as PvP exploits do. In the grande scheme of things, it's still a major exploit.

2. Yes, the economy (heck - the game[servers]) is screwed beyond repair at this point.

3. Thats why I agree, that closing accounts now is not beneficial and thus not neccessary or worth the effort.

4. It doesn't do much harm either tho' and closing accounts for major exploit abuse is certainly not anything I object against. So whoever got caught should suck it up...

*shrugs*

Biglines
08-04-12, 23:13
The ones doing the banning are the ones actually trying to make it fun for others. Feel free to whine at Kirk all you want, but don't start insulting or badmouthing people who are actively trying to make the best of it.

I've also seen GM's show up in fights, and people getting warnings and worse for exploiting SL and safezones. The GM team is active and willing, so if you have to insist on complaining, aim it at the ones that deserve it.

and about the duping. If you dupe, you're already proven to be untrustworthy. By banning all dupers, we'll be rid of a very very large portion of the cheaters too.

Trivaldi
09-04-12, 02:34
Guys,

Please drop the topics of malicious activity in game and account bans.

Yes the GM team is active, the GM team have always been active but is now far stronger than it has been for a number of years. We're always watching and following any leads to the fullest of our abilities.

Accounts are being banned to remove those from the game who make it less fun for the remaining population. While certain individuals still think it's acceptable to carry on with this kind of activity and discuss it openly, in game populations will not rise. The banning of accounts is a positive step to ensure the quality of the game and the experience improves for every single one of you. Which based on the posts in this forum for the last decade, is what you expect from us. The community has begged us to rid the game of the cheating, exploiting and abuse and so the entire team - who freely volunteer our time and energy to all things Neocron - are doing all we are able with the tools at our disposal, to do just that.

Most of you will come back and ask why it's taken so long for this to happen and we really appreciate that concern. In the past our hands were tied by policies which have been adjusted with recent events, these changes in policy combined with improved tooling allow us to now act more swiftly in cases such as these.

Quite simply, this kind of bullshit is not acceptable and will be dealt with appropriately.

At the moment the objectives of the entire Neocron Support Team are to make the game fun and to make the game fair. Then to encourage people back into the game once those first two are achieved. There's a lot going on in the background and we're working to provide more in the future (old/forgotten things and new things) with what we have available to us.

To do your part you can watch out for and participate in events, give us your thoughts on what you'd like to see (at the current patch level) and report any and all suspicious or down right unacceptable activity to exploits@neocron.com (malicious activity) and abuse@neocron.com (malicious behaviour).

Cheers,

CrushOr
09-04-12, 04:40
It would be nice, if for once this was more than just talk and we were presented with more than "we are banning people".

Its not the broken economy or the state of balance or the state of woc or whatever that kept me and many others away from Neocron...It was the rampant use of sandwiches and KKs attitude towards that specific issue.

While I am saying that the above are not problems. I tolerate them to the extent that Neocron is worth playing. The sandwiching though is a different story.

Apocalypsox
09-04-12, 06:21
In the past our hands were tied by policies which have been adjusted with recent events, these changes in policy combined with improved tooling allow us to now act more swiftly in cases such as these.

Here, let me just point this out again if you didn't take time to read.

MrTrip
09-04-12, 07:17
The ones doing the banning are the ones actually trying to make it fun for others. Feel free to whine at Kirk all you want, but don't start insulting or badmouthing people who are actively trying to make the best of it.

I've also seen GM's show up in fights, and people getting warnings and worse for exploiting SL and safezones. The GM team is active and willing, so if you have to insist on complaining, aim it at the ones that deserve it.

and about the duping. If you dupe, you're already proven to be untrustworthy. By banning all dupers, we'll be rid of a very very large portion of the cheaters too.

Forget it Biglines, your blatant ignorance is not worth my time. When you learn Reading and Comprehension, come back for an intelligent conversation, or go ahead and drop in TS again I'll let you know whats up.

Dribble Joy
09-04-12, 09:51
Do we not bother to sentence murderers while it's impossible to stop people killing others?
No, we send them to prison as well as trying to sort out why they kill people.

Besides, are the GM team coders?

Jaeon
09-04-12, 10:13
Duping is an offense that gets you banned in *ANY* online game, so if a player knows that and still does it, he should be ready for the ban hammer at any moment.

But that's a whole different thread.

The purpose of this thread is to ask Kirk and GM's what's in store for current NC, since there's effort being put into it, and logically when that happens it means that there's a will to improve it... and make way for NC:R.

Like i said, perhaps restoring functionality to NC and solving the most offending bugs and problems plaguing it as of right now could be a way to grab some money to fund the porting process to a new engine.

I don't know how difficult or costly this would be, but it would be another step in the revival of NC.

Doc Holliday
09-04-12, 12:49
Deep breath. uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Big picture. everyone thats a part of neocron as it stands is doing what they can to improve the current game. The philosphy behind this is to clean up the game somewhat and fix some of the issues. The intention of this is to make the gameworld a much more fun and better place to play. The knock on effect (or at least what is hoped) is that this will promote a much nicer neocron and much less of the toxic environment that has been left to stagnate in the past.

end game is that hopefully people will come back to play neocron as it is right now. then in time they will bring friends etc and by the time neocron reloaded comes out (if/when?) it will have a substantially better subscriber base than it currently does. its an upward spiral from there.

How do i know this? i dont. but if I was making decisions over there this is exactly what i would be doing too.

gamefreak
09-04-12, 13:09
Obviously duping doesn t belong into a good game and logically dupers should be banned.

What gives me (and propably most others who expressed critically here) a bitter aftertaste, is that after playing for years and not bothering to make new characters anymore with the current population,

I don t have to farm or trade for stuff anymore, and I'm _much more_ bothered by people using PvP hacks which was the reason for most of the people to leave, that I know of.

To step in towards any kind of cheating is a good thing, but to ban only the dupers while other cheats stay ignored isn t going to bring anyone back. :(

Dribble Joy
09-04-12, 13:25
To step in towards any kind of cheating is a good thing, but to ban only the dupers while other cheats stay ignored isn t going to bring anyone back. :(
Duping is easy to spot, sandwiches less so. However, people who dupe are also likely to eat sandwiches. So are they actually after dupers or not?

gamefreak
09-04-12, 14:25
Duping is easy to spot, sandwiches less so. However, people who dupe are also likely to eat sandwiches. So are they actually after dupers or not?
I don't agree. Especially after Hoder told everyone how they go after dupers they can easily hide their stuff on other characters. (Really dumb move tbh)

And with the sandwiches so easily availible at the moment I think it's more of a dignity thing if you use them or not. (Although there s propably a small effect, but meh, still disappointing)

William Antrim
09-04-12, 15:09
Read post #15 gents.

MrTrip why so bitter? This is not a flame but more of a surprised reaction and question to your previous posts. You are someone I have looked up to on these forums for many years but this kind of venom seems out of character for someone usually so mild mannered.

What happened dude?

As to everyone else - the insolvency is still a black cloud evidently but instead of arguing here how about we log in and play the game sometimes?

much love.

home in a week or so! get in!

Brammers
09-04-12, 15:40
As to everyone else - the insolvency is still a black cloud evidently but instead of arguing here how about we log in and play the game sometimes?

Couldn't agree more - considering it looks like KK and the GM team are doing something... and yet we got a couple of people who moan nothing is done, and now still moan that something is being done. O_o

Also cheaters, hackers and dupers don't belong here or in game. I'm glad something is being done about them.

So to @Jaeon the post starter, my plan right now the plan is to log in and play NC, and let KK get things sorted.

MrTrip
09-04-12, 17:13
Read post #15 gents.

MrTrip why so bitter? This is not a flame but more of a surprised reaction and question to your previous posts. You are someone I have looked up to on these forums for many years but this kind of venom seems out of character for someone usually so mild mannered.

What happened dude?

much love.

home in a week or so! get in!

I was let down...just like other people who just aren't even here anymore, and aren't returning... I was lead to believe that most of this stuff was "just the way it was" and "nothing can be done".

I learned that the Anti-Cheat patch wasn't even really needed, and just an hour or two of real investigating could have fixed so many problems in Neocron, but it was all given up on and abandoned. We were abandoned and then picked up when their bright and shiny new game was taken away or whatever from them. Call me a broken hearted boyfriend, who feels like his ex is only coming back because her super model boyfriend screwed her over, and now she thinks she can rebound off me.

No. You can't rebound off me.... I waited for a solution for so long and when this crazy mass banning came....that isn't a solution, that is a band-aid. Like the exgirlfriend going "Look baby, the herpes dry up and disappear!" no, they are still there, they will be back, you need to cure them, not hide them....

I'm sorry I'm letting you down William, I'm sorry to anybody else who decided to look up to me, but I've offered all I have to offer upon deaf ears, so I give up. I won't rant anymore, I won't participate, forget it.

Danae
09-04-12, 17:41
I was let down...just like other people who just aren't even here anymore, and aren't returning... I was lead to believe that most of this stuff was "just the way it was" and "nothing can be done".

I learned that the Anti-Cheat patch wasn't even really needed, and just an hour or two of real investigating could have fixed so many problems in Neocron, but it was all given up on and abandoned. We were abandoned and then picked up when their bright and shiny new game was taken away or whatever from them. Call me a broken hearted boyfriend, who feels like his ex is only coming back because her super model boyfriend screwed her over, and now she thinks she can rebound off me.

No. You can't rebound off me.... I waited for a solution for so long and when this crazy mass banning came....that isn't a solution, that is a band-aid. Like the exgirlfriend going "Look baby, the herpes dry up and disappear!" no, they are still there, they will be back, you need to cure them, not hide them....

I'm sorry I'm letting you down William, I'm sorry to anybody else who decided to look up to me, but I've offered all I have to offer upon deaf ears, so I give up. I won't rant anymore, I won't participate, forget it.

Then your butthurt is directed at the wrong damn people. Those of us still here, daily, working to deal with the problems we have previously been unable to handle ARE NOT the ones who let it fester and ARE NOT the ones who have been inactive. I'll be damned if I will stand by and let people badmouth the hardworking, volunteers who have been able to comeback in force and get things accomplished. They have done an amazing job, and I for one appreciate all they do and will continue to do.

You can sit around QQ'ing into your Hello Kitty pillow, or you can step up and help US (not yourself - and you know exactly what I mean here). Things don't happen on your time table because you stomp your feet and whinge. I don't expect that sort of thing from my children, and I sure as hell don't expect it from grown adults on a gaming forum.

When we have a definitive plan of action it will be announced. For now, we will continue with the events, we will continue with the support, we will continue to eradicate the game of naughty monkeys. We, the volunteer team, appreciate all the support we can get and the kind words of those in the thread who know we are doing what we can have not gone unnoticed!