PDA

View Full Version : NC on Apple MAC ?

bluelights
28-03-12, 09:56
Just a quick question for anyone out there that has NC running on a MAC...

Recently got a Mac Mini at home connected to my TV.

Do you think NC will run fine through VMWare on Windows 7?
Or
Should i set up bootcamp and do it that way.

I can either install WinXP or Win7

maybe there is another way to install it on a MAC?

MadMeleeFreak
28-03-12, 11:21
If you set it up just for NC you should stick with WinXP. But I am not sure VMWare will do the trick. As far as I know those who had success in running NC on Unix based machines are using Wine or one of it's derivates like Crossover.

Also: What generation is your Mac? Isn't the newest generation a common Intel based x86/x64 setup that should be capable of dual booting MacOS and Windows?

james_finn
28-03-12, 11:39
Look on the wiki for a guide of how to make it work with wine, I think I managed to get NC working on my MBP Lion OS X a year ago. Theres someone on the forum who's very good at trouble shooting wine problems too.

aKe`cj
28-03-12, 13:11
1. Create a XP install via bootcamp.
you'll want to have a native install, so the updater works properly for the initial updates from 2.2 to the current patchlevel and future patches (given the frequent patches, this is important!)

2. Install VM on OS X and add your Bootcamp partittion

That'll do if you are happy with the VM for trading and booting into WinXP for PvE and PvP is not an issue.

If you PvE a lot and want to do so in OS X, copy the NC folder from your XP partition to OS X and use WINE or Crossover to launch Client.exe.

For PvP, I'd still stick with booting WinXP ;)

MadMeleeFreak
28-03-12, 14:44
...(given the frequent patches, this is important!)...
:lol:

You're quite a joker.

flib
28-03-12, 19:43
Any tips on installing Wine on OSX?
They don't seem to make it very easy, from what little I've been able to discern.

aKe`cj
28-03-12, 20:22
Any tips on installing Wine on OSX?
They don't seem to make it very easy, from what little I've been able to discern.

install homebrew (https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew, requires XCode) and then get brewing in terminal:
user$: brew install wine

The simple solution: Buy Crossover ...or see if you can find a forgotten version at some lonely bus stop in the internets.
Thats what I use myself... but then I received it for free as part of a promo back then.

james_finn
29-03-12, 00:39
follow this method: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

here your using macports to install wine, and then follow the wine instructions on the wiki - it *should* work!

bluelights
29-03-12, 03:04
thanks guys

I think its going to be easier just to use bootcamp and say 25GB partition and install Win XP.

I would only be booting into XP to play NC anyway and nothing else at all.

ill give it a go 2mrw :)

All this effort and NC reloaded will prob come out lol