PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Its 80 in my office

MrTrip
16-03-12, 23:40
And I feel like I'm dieing. Anybody else being slammed with a heatwave in the US? This weather is freaking nuts...

Sammson
16-03-12, 23:50
Hardly, been in a deep freeze for two weeks, freezing rain this morning made it a uber tense drive to work.
Should be above freezing tomorrow though, finally.
Then again I'm in Canada so....

MrTrip
16-03-12, 23:58
Hardly, been in a deep freeze for two weeks, freezing rain this morning made it a uber tense drive to work.
Should be above freezing tomorrow though, finally.
Then again I'm in Canada so....

I'm in Iowa, we go from LOL FREEZE to Hey a warm day! to HOLY BALLS ITS HOT.

Those are our seasons.

Warm Day - Hell - Freeze - Repeat

Danae
17-03-12, 00:19
I got my hair chopped off, rocking some flip flops, and broke out the shorts and capris. This heat is bloody bonkers.

80F in Central PA twice this week ^^ Hoping it holds tomorrow, we have a BBQ planned at my brothers! :D

Trivaldi
17-03-12, 01:19
Crazy Americans and your old skool measurements ;) tis a moderate 6 degrees celcius where I am. T-Shirt weather of course. BBQs when it hit 11C last week in my area.

Practically tropical in jolly old England.

MrTrip
17-03-12, 01:36
I got my hair chopped off, rocking some flip flops, and broke out the shorts and capris. This heat is bloody bonkers.

80F in Central PA twice this week ^^ Hoping it holds tomorrow, we have a BBQ planned at my brothers! :D

Pics of said rocking or lies.

Crazy Americans and your old skool measurements ;) tis a moderate 6 degrees celcius where I am. T-Shirt weather of course. BBQs when it hit 11C last week in my area.

Practically tropical in jolly old England.

Bah, Triv, check this out... http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=183

Danae
17-03-12, 01:38
80 degrees Fahrenheit = 26.6666667 degrees Celsius

^^ As I've taught my husband, I'll talk like you, I'll let our kids talk like you, but if you can't figure out what bleeding temperature I'm referring to GOOGLE IT! :lol:

Trivaldi
17-03-12, 03:03
Having walked home an hour ago in the rain at a whole 5 degrees (*googles it* - 41 fahrenheit!), it is most certainly t-shirt weather. Although I do really fancy a hobo pie. That and I kind of feel I need to set fire to something. For this I blame you MrTrip.

Mind you, those who met me during various meet ups will not be suprised. -1 celcius in the snow in Nottingham and it was still T-Shirt weather. :)

As for your 80 degrees fahrenheit, I'll experience that for about 3 days in July/August. Then promptly go back to freezing to death with the rest of the British Isles.

Drachenpaladin
17-03-12, 11:42
Freezing to death, cooked in your office? You people are lucky... In germany, we only have one weather: Grey

Nah, kidding, 20°C and no cloud.^^

aKe`cj
17-03-12, 12:56
Freezing to death, cooked in your office? You people are lucky... In germany, we only have one weather: Grey

Nah, kidding, 20°C and no cloud.^^

to spare 'nae the googling: he ment to say "gray" :D

Danae
17-03-12, 14:52
to spare 'nae the googling: he ment to say "gray" :D

Pfft. Not the one who needs to be doing the googling! I am, and have been able to capitulate my own culture and language for the benefit of my husband and our kids ^^ I've lived in Europe and am married to a Scotsman! But I'll be damned if I give up my measures :P It's inches/miles/pounds/degrees F! :lol:

Some day when I'm bored I'll tell you the story about my one Ameri-Scot taking his kindergarten entrance exam vocabulary test :P

Kamuix99
17-03-12, 15:17
That reminds me of the Nasa probe which got lost in Mars orbit, due to scientist forgot to change metric plannings to inches 8|

Why did Nasa missions work out great in 50s - 70s? Made by Germans :lol:

Ahum, now jokes aside. We've got around 18°C here and sunny in northern Bavaria. My gf told me, in Sapporo snow has molten just this week but staying cool.

Faid
17-03-12, 19:43
I'll be damned if I give up my measures :P It's inches/miles/pounds/degrees F! :lol:
As long as you call Gasoline "Gas" not "Petrol", and measure it in gallons not liters I'm ok with the rest :p
I was born in, and still live in, the US but my parents are English :D

Danae
17-03-12, 20:47
As long as you call Gasoline "Gas" not "Petrol", and measure it in gallons not liters I'm ok with the rest :p
I was born in, and still live in, the US but my parents are English :D

lol :) It depends on who is talking to me. At work I struggle sometimes switching to "normal American" mode :P We switch everything to British English and Scots slang in our house. This caused a big problem when our one little guy took his kindergarten vocab test I was told he failed because he could not identify simple pictures. He called a "trash can" a "bin" and he called a "shopping cart" a "trolley" and because he called a "flash light" a "torch". I then embarrassed the psychologist who administered it by explaining his dad is from Scotland and that's what we call all of those things in our house. I don't call it a "cell phone" it's a "mobile". If I'm talking to my in-laws it's petrol not gas, but I call it gas to my hubby who now also calls it gas (most of the time). My husband can't go to a McDonalds drive-thru anymore...between him and the inability for the people to understand him (his accent) he ends up just screaming at them to shove their mcfood up their mcarses (actually that's me greatly editing what he actually said :P)...it's a great reason not to purchase fast food! :D

William Antrim
18-03-12, 15:59
There is hope for the child yet.

Apparently (grammatically speaking) Scots folk actually have the best grammar and pronunciation of all of the English speaking nations, even more so than the rest of Britain. I read this somewhere on the internet a while ago so it must be true. I assume it is to do with the accent and the fact that noone else can understand a proper Scotsman, apart from another one. This is especially true when said Scotsman is either A) drunk or B) encounters a fellow kinsman and proceeds to chat.

I have spent 3 months recently living with 2 Glaswegians out here and I noticed that their accents both became much stronger when around each other compared to the rest of us "English" speaking folk.

That said I chuckled alot basically at the thought of Oath CSing the Mcdonalds Drivethru cubicle.

Danae
18-03-12, 17:04
There is hope for the child yet.

Apparently (grammatically speaking) Scots folk actually have the best grammar and pronunciation of all of the English speaking nations, even more so than the rest of Britain. I read this somewhere on the internet a while ago so it must be true. I assume it is to do with the accent and the fact that noone else can understand a proper Scotsman, apart from another one. This is especially true when said Scotsman is either A) drunk or B) encounters a fellow kinsman and proceeds to chat.

I have spent 3 months recently living with 2 Glaswegians out here and I noticed that their accents both became much stronger when around each other compared to the rest of us "English" speaking folk.

That said I chuckled alot basically at the thought of Oath CSing the Mcdonalds Drivethru cubicle.

lol our whole family is f'ed up - my hubby's aunt moved to England when her kids were wee, so they have English accents until they come up to Paisley to visit, then they sound like Chookters :P Our 7 year old switches between sounding like me and sounding like his dad at will (I think our youngest will too as he already tells daddy "Gonnae no dae that") and sometimes sounding like Billy Connelly in Open Season (yeah we don't know...) I used to think my in-laws were speaking another language when they got together :) I understand them now, even when they are going a mile a minute. Quite proud of myself! :) When we go back to Scotland to visit they think we're all Canadians because I sound rather "generic" and they think his Scots is watered down. Most people here don't understand him and just stare at him blankly and ask me what he just said when he leaves the room. I don't even hear an accent anymore though.

Biglines
18-03-12, 17:35
people often think I'm taking the piss when I'm talking English to someone with a very pronounced accent, because my own generally tends to drift towards theirs. But this is only because at my school we had two native teachers (bilingual education), who both insisted we spoke like them, so we had to switch between a northern London accent, and an Irish one every few hours. Now my default is a slightly generic one, drifting towards the accent of the person I'm speaking to.

Powerpunsh
18-03-12, 17:48
isnt that normal? I personally speak different in sentence, accent and kind depends on the people im talking to. Like former and cant to my parents especially my father (sometimes a shitload of fun). A broken language to people with migration background. A common heightened language to people with a higher education etc.
It makes it very easy to get sympahtie of your interlocutor

Faid
18-03-12, 19:15
My parents will slip back into a heavier accent and more slang when our relatives come to visit, it's quite funny to witness, especially when they tell me terrah instead of goodbye which they never do normally :lol: And for some reason none of my relatives like any kind of meat cooked less than well done, my cousin about died when she saw me eating a steak cooked medium. Good times :D

William Antrim
18-03-12, 20:29
yeah one of my friends back home (also a scot) does that danae. the accent thing i mean. it is funny to hear him on the phone to his mum.

Faid i love how even writing it you put your cousin "about died" as opposed to almost died.... :D

Biglines I never thought you sounded camp when talking to invinci..... :lol:

Powerpunsh... err yeah it is natural apparently to immitate someone when speaking to them. it is a sign of bonding I think. I read it in a Mcintyre article (investigative journalist who did a lot of undercover work in the 90s in Britain).

Personally I am half german but i cant understand a word my family ever said to me in german. I can read it ok (mostly thanks to nc) but pronunciation might as well be in Mandarin!

Dribble Joy
18-03-12, 20:38
Since when is 26C a heat wave or even uncomfortable?

Danae
18-03-12, 22:35

When it's only half way through March and you live in a temperate climate ^^ Next week it'll be freezing again and will all have pneumonia!

Biglines
19-03-12, 00:00
depends on how humid it is really ;)

William Antrim
19-03-12, 13:55
Well its 35+ out here, dusty, humid, shit and the rockets are falling.

But still I'm not gonna moan.... :D

Danae
19-03-12, 18:13
Well its 35+ out here, dusty, humid, shit and the rockets are falling.

But still I'm not gonna moan.... :D

Okay you totally win the shitey weather and horrific conditions award <3 Plus you get much respect! Thank you for doing what you do!

MrTrip
19-03-12, 19:17
I ain't even mad no more, I'm sitting at home in my central air feeling baus.

Doc Holliday
19-03-12, 21:25
Faid I knew there was somethin I liked about you ;)

William Antrim
20-03-12, 20:28
I would trade it all in for some decent ping though. I get shit wifi here but home in just over 3 weeks hopefully so yeah I will be back to the miserable english weather instead.

NC here i come! hahaha.

I guess whereever you are or however bad things get, there is always someone else worse off.