PDA

View Full Version : Is the server down?

Faid
03-03-12, 01:49
Anyone else having trouble connecting? I can't connect on either of my computers.

Kamuix99
03-03-12, 01:53
Hi Faid,

yes, the login server is down. But the guys from KK are working on it :)

Trivaldi
03-03-12, 01:55
Announcement (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=2180002#post2180002).

Yes, unfortunately at the moment the servers are unreachable but someone is working on it. :)

Faid
03-03-12, 02:31
Thanks for the quick replies :D

I initially thought NC was going wonky on my older comp because I was still online with my other one. Brought back some connection nightmares of old when you couldnt get nc to launch lol Im glad it's not that, sucks about the servers though :p

Jaeon
03-03-12, 09:59
Finally managed to remember my login....

Hope they fix it soon.

hybok
03-03-12, 18:32
they just need to feed the hamster thats in kirks shed^

William Antrim
03-03-12, 20:49
i heard Richard Gere stole it.

Chuck Norris
04-03-12, 00:59
this is pretty damned funny coming day after kirk telling us the doomsday clock had nothing to do with the servers lol

Yeti
04-03-12, 01:47
back online

MrTrip
04-03-12, 01:58
back online

Or not.

Dribble Joy
04-03-12, 02:00
It's up, just logged in.

MrTrip
04-03-12, 02:03
It's up, just logged in.
You guys must be magical

CoreInsanity
04-03-12, 02:03
It's up, just logged in.

Won't let me on.

Dribble Joy
04-03-12, 02:26
Well there's four people in P1 as I write.

CoreInsanity
04-03-12, 02:55
Been trying for a little bit off and on now, still can't get in :/

Stops at connecting to server then goes back to login.

CoreInsanity
04-03-12, 04:28
Yeah, I've tried from my computer in North Carolina and a friends computer in Texas via remote desktop, neither can get in. So it's either only allowing connections from a specific area, or you're lucky and it went back down after you got in.

I was logged in when it happened before, it only affected the login server from what I can tell (Some one told me they had a problem logging in, but I continued playing for a few hours until my internet DCd at which point I couldn't get back on).

Trivaldi
04-03-12, 04:51
Although the servers should be back online, please bare in mind work has not yet been completed to bring them back to the state they were on Friday evening (Europe time). Please be patient and keep trying if you currently can't get online. If you're experiencing any specific error messages or unusual faults please report them here so the team can take a look.

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this downtime but as per Kirk's post, the servers will be online regardless of the timer set for the end of March. The issue resulting in this particular downtime is unfortunately a case of bad timing from a key piece of hardware.

We look forward to seeing you all in game soon.

msressi
04-03-12, 20:37
loging in from Germany as I write, but no luck so far. Will keep trying.... :angel:

Dribble Joy
04-03-12, 20:42
Ping is quite high (150-200 more than usual).

Kirk Lenke
04-03-12, 21:11

Well :)

MrTrip
04-03-12, 21:45

That's because they moved the server to Canada. My ping is fucking AMAZING! I'm getting between 85 and 90 ping. I'm absolutely thrilled.

Biglines
04-03-12, 22:41
geolocator says new york... sounds like kirk is escaping German authorities and making a run for it! with the server! :D

(http://www.ipligence.com/geolocation)

that would also explain the incredible amount of information his last post gave us! :D

Biglines
04-03-12, 22:50
on a serious note though, it's odd that apparently the servers were moved, instead of "having hardware issues".

nabbl
04-03-12, 22:51
That's because they moved the server to Canada. My ping is fucking AMAZING! I'm getting between 85 and 90 ping. I'm absolutely thrilled.

that is not funny..

Dribble Joy
04-03-12, 23:12
I was used to 75 here in the middle of the countryside and 50 or less when I was in a town.

Can't say I'm too happy, but if it means the cost of hosting NC is less then I can't grumble (too much).

(Though the East Coast would have been preferable to the West.)

Powerpunsh
04-03-12, 23:14
My ping goes up to 350. Not cool. :p

Chuck Norris
05-03-12, 00:39
This means KK is about to have a huge breath of fresh air breathed into, I hope to god its on STEAM soon, youll be scooping up buckets of cash

MrTrip
05-03-12, 00:49
I was used to 75 here in the middle of the countryside and 50 or less when I was in a town.

Can't say I'm too happy, but if it means the cost of hosting NC is less then I can't grumble (too much).

(Though the East Coast would have been preferable to the West.)

Hey, everybody in the US has had to deal with 150-200 ping times for the last 10 years. Its about time the server has shifted over here =P

Kamuix99
05-03-12, 00:55
I'm not hardware buff and whatever these numbers mean that you're throwing around with, my gameplay was same fine as before.

Moving servers to an more international place ain't something bad, especially when you can evade some obstacles that are naturally given in Germany.

Therefore, peace out :)

Faid
05-03-12, 00:58
Hey, everybody in the US has had to deal with 150-200 ping times for the last 10 years. Its about time the server has shifted over here =P
^ This :p

Biglines
05-03-12, 02:36
Moving servers to an more international place ain't something bad, especially when you can evade some obstacles that are naturally given in Germany.
the usa isn't an international place for a game that has about an 80-90% european population (yes, thats a guesstimate). And seeing the amount of complaining over the years from american players about their pings, moving to the usa/canada is just plain stupid. If you don't want germany, try the UK, which afaik has the best lines to america anyway (from eu), being best for both worlds (eu and usa).

and a ping is the time in miliseconds it takes for an internet signal to move from your computer to the server and back. having a ping of 500 means that anything u do on ur computer, takes half a second to go to the opponent, then half a second back, meaning a delay of a second.

USA players didn't even have the same lag the europeans will now have, because their total lag to european players (the large majority) was around 200+50 = 250ms. Now all europeans will get a 250+250 = 500ms delay. Which is double the lag that american players have been complaining about for years.

And as usual we hear absolutely nothing from KK, either ahead of time or after, or any reasoning for why.

Unless this is some dodgy scheme to keep the neocron servers from being seized in the bankruptcy, I really don't get the logic.

edit: ping calculations aren't absolutely correct, though the fact that it's double what it used to be for US players still stands

Chuck Norris
05-03-12, 02:54
the usa isn't an international place for a game that has about an 80-90% european population (yes, thats a guesstimate). And seeing the amount of complaining over the years from american players about their pings, moving to the usa/canada is just plain stupid. If you don't want germany, try the UK, which afaik has the best lines to america anyway (from eu), being best for both worlds (eu and usa).

and a ping is the time in miliseconds it takes for an internet signal to move from your computer to the server and back. having a ping of 500 means that anything u do on ur computer, takes half a second to go to the opponent, then half a second back, meaning a delay of a second.

USA players didn't even have the same lag the europeans will now have, because their total lag to european players (the large majority) was around 200+50 = 250ms. Now all europeans will get a 250+250 = 500ms delay. Which is double the lag that american players have been complaining about for years.

And as usual we hear absolutely nothing from KK, either ahead of time or after, or any reasoning for why.

Unless this is some dodgy scheme to keep the neocron servers from being seized in the bankruptcy, I really don't get the logic.

edit: ping calculations aren't absolutely correct, though the fact that it's double what it used to be for US players still stands

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the idea was to get the population out of the elitist script kiddy toilet

ya your right all 30 euro players were 90% of the populous, because Americans had like five-hundred ping on their American server (made Americans not want to play), plus Euros always hated on them and trolling them beyond belief, yet for some reason Euros still flocked too to the American server, sandwich trolls killed every server pretty much and they just migrated on to the next one.

Go troll elsewhere sorry you lost your abuse outlet, you should probably do so more reading on Latency http://lmgtfy.com/?q=latency
peace!

deathclaw666
05-03-12, 02:58
any info from kk than it could be up again`?

Trivaldi
05-03-12, 03:21
As you're aware Terra is currently down at the moment, this has been reported and will hopefully be online again as soon as possible. Unfortunatley, I have no information regarding anything else at this time.

Kamuix99
05-03-12, 05:06
LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the idea was to get the population out of the elitist script kiddy toilet

ya your right all 30 euro players were 90% of the populous, because Americans had like five-hundred ping on their American server (made Americans not want to play), plus Euros always hated on them and trolling them beyond belief, yet for some reason Euros still flocked too to the American server, sandwich trolls killed every server pretty much and they just migrated on to the next one.

Go troll elsewhere sorry you lost your abuse outlet, you should probably do so more reading on Latency http://lmgtfy.com/?q=latency
peace!

Well, I as European can say that I always prefer a one shard server with international community. Regarding your idea of server, let me kindly direct you to following link (http://ng.neocron.com/index.php?id=13&L=1%2Findex.php%3Fort%3D)

It clearly states "Terra - English-speaking server, 4 character slots, standard PvP settings." which means it's a server for people speaking English. Where these people come from is totally irrelevant, we also have players from Australia and Asia. [ edited ]

MrTrip
05-03-12, 05:28

Moving them to UK doesn't help. Ping takes a massive dive as soon as it crosses the ocean. It goes from 50 to 150 and only increases from there. There is no happy middle ground.

Now, Terra is down again, so something was wrong there, heck even with the new awesome ping my buffs wouldn't work half the time.

How about the other two servers? Are pings horrible there?

*Dazz*
05-03-12, 06:31
[ edited ]

Neat....

MrTrip
05-03-12, 08:11
Hey KK, So what exactly did you do to bring the server back online? Is it hard? You should get somebody from outside to help with this stuff. What steps did you take?

Chuck Norris
05-03-12, 09:04
Well, I as European can say that I always prefer a one shard server with international community. Regarding your idea of server, let me kindly direct you to following link (http://ng.neocron.com/index.php?id=13&L=1%2Findex.php%3Fort%3D)

It clearly states "Terra - English-speaking server, 4 character slots, standard PvP settings." which means it's a server for people speaking English. Where these people come from is totally irrelevant, we also have players from Australia and Asia. [ edited ]

[ edited ]

Biglines
05-03-12, 12:24
I was simply stating latency and [ edited ] made it next to impossible for Neocron to become successful in the USA
which is where you go to be successful in the video game industry.
no you don't, you go to asia...

[ edited ]

let's face it, neocron won't get many new players unless those players are introduced by existing players, which is mostly european players. Of course I am biased as fuck, but it is simply a fact that the majority of players are european, and that KK are too.

and yes, I know about latency. and like I said in the edit, while a latency of 200 ms is from client to server and back, the relative doubling of latency for european clients is still true. instead of my 200+50, it's actually 100+25 for americans through the old nc servers, and 125+125 for current european servers instead of the 2way numbers I used to demonstrate the math before. Unless you don't understand the difference between the ping to the servers, and the ping to the player?

Here's an example. say at 0:00 I go into stealth in the old situation. 25ms later, the servers register the fact that I did this. Then 100ms later, your client in the usa registers this. The total lag between our systems is 125ms, even though your ping is 200, and my ping is 50.

now in the new system, if I go into stealth at 0:00, 125 ms later the server registers this. Then 125ms later, the other european registers it. the total lag being 250ms.

Now in most cases, prediction on the server will mean that you don't actually see that delay as much, but on neocron this results in clipping, hitting through walls, and general annoyance.

Of course this is all simplified, but it does mean that the lag that americans used to get playing against europeans, is only about half the lag europeans will now get playing against europeans. Please note I'm saying lag. Not server ping or server latency. Of course against american players the lag will be the same as before but reversed.

Moving them to UK doesn't help. Ping takes a massive dive as soon as it crosses the ocean. It goes from 50 to 150 and only increases from there. There is no happy middle ground.

Now, Terra is down again, so something was wrong there, heck even with the new awesome ping my buffs wouldn't work half the time.

How about the other two servers? Are pings horrible there?
are you sure? because I see invinci (UK) play with a 150 ping on american servers, while germans and dutch people play at 200-250. And I wasn't really proposing a perfect solution, just a solution that seemed a 25% improvement for the few existing US players, and the even fewer non-eu, non-us players. While at least remaining playable for the vast majority of players that have a dramatic decrease in their performance.

and it looks like all the servers are actually hosted on the same virtual server (vps.neocron.com), so I would be very surprised if the 2 german ones have a different ping (that's from ips gleaned from the ini files, I haven't used a tcp sniffer yet).

Biglines
05-03-12, 12:27
Btw, of course for a new game such as nc3, I think it would be better to have a server for the USA as well, or one that is located so that if KK manages to get any sort of market penetration in the US, The server is at least located to the satisfaction of the majority of players (I hate server splits, I prefer most people to be on the same server).

Chuck Norris
05-03-12, 13:20
no you don't, you go to asia...

Chuck, accusing others of both trolling and xenophobia is kinda hypocritical isn't it?

Not sure if you even bothered reading the hate speech he wrote I was just responding, not sure how its hypocritical.

And Americans spend insane amount of cash on random games and apps do some research we are ultra consumers. I know so many people that buy everything on every steam sale just to have it!

let's face it, neocron won't get many new players unless those players are introduced by existing players, which is mostly european players. Of course I am biased as fuck, but it is simply a fact that the majority of players are european, and that KK are too.

I thought I explained why this was LMAO, I dont think anyone reads anything and just spouts off random thoughts, no marketing or outlet to sell (IE STEAM, GOG ect)

and yes, I know about latency. and like I said in the edit, while a latency of 200 ms is from client to server and back, the relative doubling of latency for european clients is still true. instead of my 200+50, it's actually 100+25 for americans through the old nc servers, and 125+125 for current european servers instead of the 2way numbers I used to demonstrate the math before. Unless you don't understand the difference between the ping to the servers, and the ping to the player?

Here's an example. say at 0:00 I go into stealth in the old situation. 25ms later, the servers register the fact that I did this. Then 100ms later, your client in the usa registers this. The total lag between our systems is 125ms, even though your ping is 200, and my ping is 50.

now in the new system, if I go into stealth at 0:00, 125 ms later the server registers this. Then 125ms later, the other european registers it. the total lag being 250ms.

Now in most cases, prediction on the server will mean that you don't actually see that delay as much, but on neocron this results in clipping, hitting through walls, and general annoyance.

Thanks bud no one ever knew how lag worked, thank god your here to tell us

Of course this is all simplified, but it does mean that the lag that americans used to get playing against europeans, is only about half the lag europeans will now get playing against europeans. Please note I'm saying lag. Not server ping or server latency. Of course against american players the lag will be the same as before but reversed.

Ya you sure did, im not even sure wth your saying here seems very incoherent, and how would you even know, do you have all the server information and connection type?

are you sure? because I see invinci (UK) play with a 150 ping on american servers, while germans and dutch people play at 200-250. And I wasn't really proposing a perfect solution, just a solution that seemed a 25% improvement for the few existing US players, and the even fewer non-eu, non-us players. While at least remaining playable for the vast majority of players that have a dramatic decrease in their performance.

and it looks like all the servers are actually hosted on the same virtual server (vps.neocron.com), so I would be very surprised if the 2 german ones have a different ping (that's from ips gleaned from the ini files, I haven't used a tcp sniffer yet).

TCP sniffer lol damn you gangster!!

im sure some script kiddies took the one server anyone plays on down for vengeance, theyll probably keep doing it to like a couple of months ago when they didnt get what they wanted

Genji
05-03-12, 13:42
As I read page 3, the first thing that poped in my head was:

http://dash.ponychan.net/chan/files...32961662388.jpg

edit: hmm...whatever nvm

Biglines
05-03-12, 14:21
*lot's of weird stuff*
are these your real opinions or are you just trolling? I usually fail at spotting sarcasm...

if you're serious, you really need to learn more about the stuff you're talking about.

Danae
05-03-12, 14:30
This thread has become redundant, as the servers are up, and since it's degraded into a whose more xenophobic pissing contest I'm closing this thread. Consider yourselves all spanked.

Trivaldi
05-03-12, 14:32
Guys, cut the personal attacks or take it to PM. Discuss the impact of higher pings and latency sure, but do it within the forum rules. I don't want to see any more nationalist remarks either. If you know of someone or a group of people who are exploiting in game report them through the official routes. These routes are monitored and accounts are banned for this kind of activity.

When we have new information regarding the status of Terra, or the changes brought by the weekend, you guys will be the first to know.

Danae
05-03-12, 15:04
Guys, cut the personal attacks or take it to PM. Discuss the impact of higher pings and latency sure, but do it within the forum rules. I don't want to see any more nationalist remarks either. If you know of someone or a group of people who are exploiting in game report them through the official routes. These routes are monitored and accounts are banned for this kind of activity.

When we have new information regarding the status of Terra, or the changes brought by the weekend, you guys will be the first to know.

I totally already closed it, Triv! I'll spank you too! lolwut :X