PDA

View Full Version : [New GM] Dear Runners

Jord
22-02-12, 13:13
I come to you today with good news, in contrast to the bad which Kirk announced a few days ago, which can be found here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=144937).

Please allow me to begin by introducing myself.

I have long been an active player of Neocron - from the days of Open Beta, right through NC1 retail and all incarnations of Neocron 2 - across Pluto, Uranus, Venus and Terra. It is fair to say that although my character account isn't all that active on the forums, many of you will know of me. Of course, my new position as Game Master means I will never be able to share with any of you which character I play in game, but rest assured, I am as die-hard a fan of Neocron as one can become. I've loved this game for the best part of my adult life, and effective immediately, I'll be doing my bit in the hope of bringing Neocron back from the proverbial dead.

Of course, there's nothing I can do about patches and development, so please don't ask. What I can offer you though, is something that's been missing for as long as I can remember ..... an active GM with a huge involvement with the community.

In my new position as Game Master, I plan to work with you guys to breathe some much needed life back into the game. I see this happening in a number of ways:

1. Cheats

Whilst it has been (and continues to be) the policy of ReaKKtor not to discuss cheats on the forum, we cannot deny that they exist. Whilst I cannot promise to put an end to it, rest assured that I will be keeping an eye out.

2. Events

Back in the early days of Neocron, it wasn't out of the ordinary for GM's to randomly start events. I cannot remember the last time an event started out of nowhere. Well, this I very much want to change.

I have a few ideas (and I'm not yet 100% sure how far I can go with this), which range from random spawn events requiring runners to team together to fight off scores of angry warbots, to roleplay/storyline events and dynamic missions with temporary NPCs.

I'm also very much open to ideas. Nobody knows what you guys want to see in game more than you guys do. Please feel free to post any event ideas in the thread, or simply drop me a PM and I will get back to you.

3. Community Involvement

Whilst I have not been brought on board to act as the Community Manager, that position is very much vacant. As such, I will do my very best to fulfil this role in addition to my role as a Game Master. I will be here to watch over the forums in addition to being present in game. I will not be the typical in-game GM that only shows himself when absolutely necessary, I will aim to be more visible.

4. Role play support

I once asked a GM to help me convert our clan's apartment into a store, complete with NPCs and strippers for role play purposes. The fact that he took the time to oblige made my day.

Where there's a genuine demand for it, I will happily listen to all requests of this nature.

5. Support Tickets

Of course, a big part of my role will be to deal with in-game support tickets. Whilst primarily I will be actively looking to create new and fun content for you all, I will be available for support, too.

----------

Finally, I'd just like to say that I am incredibly looking forward to taking this role and running with it. I really think that if we can make this work, we can bring that server population peak up from 2% to 10%, at which point the world might truly feel alive again.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and please spread the word to anyone you know that plays the game that might not be a regular in the forums.

Jord

Doc Holliday
22-02-12, 13:23
Another step in the right direction. Nice one. This is a positive for sure.

Brammers
22-02-12, 13:26
Good luck Jord, and welcome. Hopefully you wont fall for the missing nailpolish vendor tickets that I've fooled a few GM's in the past with! :lol:

Biglines
22-02-12, 13:29
good news indeed!

- Power
Do you have the power to actually ban people? or do you still need permission from KK to do that? A large part of the problem used to be that GMs knew people were cheating, but due to personal relationships with certain KK employees or protests to people that simply couldn't tell a hack from a sandwich, the bans were either overturned or never accepted.

- Community knowledge
Do you know of the long lines of banevaders that get banned and get back within hours?

- Cheat knowledge
Do you actually know how the cheats work? (As in, mechanics and actual applications, and the effects they have on the game and how they can be detected?)

Jord
22-02-12, 13:39
Good luck Jord, and welcome. Hopefully you wont fall for the missing nailpolish vendor tickets that I've fooled a few GM's in the past with! :lol:

Rest assured Brammers, I couldn't live with myself if I were to play a part in depriving you of nail polish, or any other cosmetics for that matter.

Do you have the power to actually ban people? or do you still need permission from KK to do that? A large part of the problem used to be that GMs knew people were cheating, but due to personal relationships with certain KK employees or protests to people that simply couldn't tell a hack from a sandwich, the bans were either overturned or never accepted.

As I am new to the role, I am still very much learning the ropes. When a situation arises which requires action such as this to be taken, I will contact the powers that be. Sorry that doesn't specifically answer your question, but it's the best I can do at such an early stage.

Do you know of the long lines of banevaders that get banned and get back within hours?

Yes, I most certainly do.

Do you actually know how the cheats work? (As in, mechanics and actual applications, and the effects they have on the game and how they can be detected?)

I program in a number of languages, and my full time job is to backward-engineer software. Essentially, I am a professional (legal) hacker.

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. :)

Biglines
22-02-12, 13:59
nice to be reasured!

and I meant specifically the hacks that at this moment exist for neocron, though of course the fact that you can probably know how most work will be of immense help.

Trivaldi
22-02-12, 14:32
Welcome to the team, I'm sure plenty of people will be glad to see you! :)

Jord
22-02-12, 14:44
Welcome to the team, I'm sure plenty of people will be glad to see you! :)

Thank you very much, Triv.

L0KI
22-02-12, 14:45
Ooooooh, now this is interesting!

Welcome Jord!

William Antrim
22-02-12, 15:45
PM being sent. Thank you for making yourself visible.

Riddle
22-02-12, 15:50
Welcome to the new role as its clear you know NC :)

I look forward to random events and a presence here and in game which will push NC back on the right path in terms of fair game play :p

Best of luck!

Kamuix99
22-02-12, 16:30
Things get moving it seems, really nice.

Setlec
22-02-12, 17:54
hmmm new guy in KK team? well good luck at last something good happened!

Jodo
22-02-12, 17:57
Even though you aren't new here, welcome. Perhaps good luck is more fitting. :D

MrTrip
22-02-12, 19:15
Hey Jord, congrats on the promotion. You must finally be a US playing GM? East coast or West Coast?

Biglines
22-02-12, 20:10
oh and another question, what languages do you speak, because currently i'd say the majority playing is german :p

Jord
22-02-12, 20:13
oh and another question, what languages do you speak, because currently i'd say the majority playing is german :p

I speak British English, American English, European English, Asian English and Broken English. In fact, I am fluent in all five languages.

Seriously though, I can make out enough German to get by, but not enough to use it fluently. We have a number of other German GM's that I can work with when the need arises for both languages.

Doc Holliday
22-02-12, 20:21
I speak British English, American English, European English, Asian English and Broken English. In fact, I am fluent in all five languages.

Seriously though, I can make out enough German to get by, but not enough to use it fluently. We have a number of other German GM's that I can work with when the need arises for both languages.

you missed the art of bullshit. all gms must be fluent in this. its sometimes the only way to communicate with players.

however jord seriously. im really glad your on board. credentials aside (backward engineer = whitehat hacker? is that appropriate?) your a gm and soon to be active at that. this only breeds life in to this game and all that alot of us have grown to love. i cant help but think this is a positive step forward for neocron and the community and i sincerely hope that more people follow in your footsteps and sign up.

If i was in a position i would volunteer myself but sadly i am not due to geographical restrictions amongst others.

i am however still there very much in spirit and i will be as active as i can in support of this venture and the future of nc3.

I told my bro and he laughed but i had a plan to move out to and settle in australia. for permanent residency and a change of life and for (heaven forbid) my kids etc if i ever have some.

NC3 would change all of that. :D

Dribble Joy
22-02-12, 21:41
Hello Sir! Hope it all goes well :).

Faid
23-02-12, 02:51
It's nice to see things actually moving somewhat forward, I look forward to seeing you ingame Jord, hopefully with some fun events :D

daughterolilith
23-02-12, 19:08
my kitten that sits on my shoulder pet is missing

the on that jumps on your shoulder when you click on it and off again if you click again and goes "mew"

Garfield
23-02-12, 19:37
fat SEX! Jord. good luck with your job.

btw do u know where Mr. Jones office is? ive got secret plans to deliever :cool:

[K1]Luke
24-02-12, 00:50
Welcome Jord, I hope you're up for the challenge :) And... you know... if you ever feel like spawning a 5 slot artifact Ion Cannon... I certainly wouldn't say no :lol:

Iceflower
24-02-12, 18:12
Good luck!

Jord
24-02-12, 19:45
Just a note to all; I haven't officially started yet. I've not gone AWOL already ;)

Fuzzy Wuzzy
24-02-12, 19:48
good luck when you do start, hope this will bring back some of the population... trying to talk some friends into coming back

William Antrim
24-02-12, 19:49
So when do you start and what can you do?

zii
26-02-12, 13:37
Welcome!

Mr. Kassad
27-02-12, 15:57
Welcome Jord.

I am very glad to see that things are going towards the right direction and people are still committed to the game to that extend that they take positions like yours. I wish you best of luck and lots of motivation (and nerves^^) to archive all your goals. May you be the new all seeing eye of neocron ;)
News like this really motivate me to start playing again. :)

Chuck Norris
27-02-12, 17:18
[ edited ]

Placido
28-02-12, 14:16
I still want my appartments back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daughterolilith
28-02-12, 15:30
my kitin on shoulder pet is stil missing :(

Strife
06-03-12, 03:46
All hail Jord!

MrTrip
06-03-12, 03:54
All hail Jord!

I think he already rage quit.

William Antrim
07-03-12, 20:24
judging by the reloaded thread i would say not.

Jord
09-03-12, 17:49
I have not rage quit; I'm still here ;)

Just going through my GM training with the current (and semi-returning) GMs at present.

Some familiar old faces (avatars) popping up in this forum recently, and I get the feeling I couldn't have joined the team at a better time!

Hell-demon
09-03-12, 17:59
Abuse your powers........

psychowar
09-03-12, 18:02
Just going through my GM training with the current (and semi-returning) GMs at present.

I suppose you have a dedicated GM training server, huh?

William Antrim
09-03-12, 18:32
Did you get my pm?

MrTrip
09-03-12, 20:16
/set gm_settrainingcompelte 1

Don't tell them I told you that command ;) kgo.

William Antrim
09-03-12, 20:32
/set gm_settrainingcompelte 1

Don't tell them I told you that command ;) kgo.

Can you move? if not then its working.

However I thought that it was complete, not compelte maybe thats why its not working? :lol:

MrTrip
09-03-12, 21:20
Can you move? if not then its working.

However I thought that it was complete, not compelte maybe thats why its not working? :lol:

:( I'm an idiot.............

William Antrim
09-03-12, 21:46
not at all, it made me laugh.

Tharos
09-03-12, 21:54
in order to avoid misunderstandings: There have always been active GMs.

Faid
10-03-12, 07:18
in order to avoid misunderstandings: There have always been active GMs.
Active how?