PDA

View Full Version : What should NC3 be?

unc0nnected
02-02-12, 07:53
Something I was wondering myself and wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Let's say NC3 is slated for production tomorrow and you get a call asking you what it should be, what would yuo tell them?

Should it be a remake of NC1/2 ? Same locations, same factions, just updated engine, more stable, less lag, etc etc?

Or should they further the storyline along, should it take place 50 years afterwards, or maybe 50 years before?

Should they keep certain parts of the existing world and build upon that or should they build a brand new story?

For myself I'm torn of course because there's so many amazing memories of NC1 and NC2 but then again if it was the same thing remade I feel that the potential to make new amazing memories and experiences is less.

Maybe they should dive into a certain element of the NC universe and explore that in more detail.. There's a ton of ideas, I'd love to hear what you guys think

gamefreak
03-02-12, 23:36
Counter Strike like combat system, bigger cities and wastelands, more complex crafting and modding, more involving in faction stuff, more importance of outposts and clanwars, mining, strategic proceeding needed for high level pvp, pve, crafting and clan managing.

Thats quite a list, but I think if NC3 would use latest technology it could become the greatest game ever made.

Edit: Forgot the story backround:

Neocron universe 50 - 500 years form current Neocron time. Earth is still mostly toxic wasteland, but there are now 3 or 4 Megacities and an outpost on Irata III. Technology has advanced so that the big mega corporations have their own outposts for mining, production or other filthy stuff, hidden in the wastelands now and more power overall. In that context the outposts that clans can posses should be mines, factories etc that produce stuff or unlock new crafting processes. Also it should be possible to mine stuff as a runner, by setting up a small mining stations, or occupy one which is surroundes by mutants and defending it for a while.(no afk mining for single runners though) There are no little spaceships or space combat, but there might be locations like a space station, one of the generation spacecrafts on the way to another planet, or some mining station orbiting another planet.

unc0nnected
06-02-12, 02:42
I was more asking if NC3 should be a remake of NC2 of if it should dive into a brand new story with brand new weapons, brand new enemies in a brand new location?

As for the specific details I'm more than comfortable leaving that up to the professionals who brought us NC1 and NC2 who know what's feasible to get into a game on a reasonable budget in a reasonable amount of time

Genji
06-02-12, 03:28
As for the specific details I'm more than comfortable leaving that up to the professionals who brought us NC1 and NC2 who know what's feasible to get into a game on a reasonable budget in a reasonable amount of time

The professionals who brought us NC2 just added some things (most of which failed in a giant ball of fire) to the NC1 that already exsisted, and sadly the professionals that brought us NC1 are loooong gone. Which is sadly why the professionals that brought us NC2 arn't professional enough to fix the bugs that have plagued the game for sooo many years, due in part to the professionals that brought us NC1 being not so professional at coding games.

The circle of NC life is a savage mistress indeed.

flib
06-02-12, 19:57
I was more asking if NC3 should be a remake of NC2Yes

of if it should dive into a brand new storyNo

with brand new weapons, brand new enemiesYes

in a brand new location?No

Doc Holliday
07-02-12, 06:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tdVbg5qwm4

something similar but updated of course :)

gamefreak
07-02-12, 15:25

Damn you for posting that link, made me nostalgia hard.

Also, I'm with flib. NC3 should be a rework with new stuff added.

William Antrim
07-02-12, 15:47
NC1 with 500 plus people per server at slow times. 800+ at peak times and no bugs would be fine with me.

I dont care about graphics updates and new quests and shit. I want NC1 with more players and no crashing or cheaters.

L0KI
07-02-12, 17:08
What should NC3 be...

More than just talk.

hatmankh
07-02-12, 18:07
More than just talk.
This.

Doc Holliday
07-02-12, 23:17
Damn you for posting that link, made me nostalgia hard.

Also, I'm with flib. NC3 should be a rework with new stuff added.

:D :D :D It broke me when i watched it. old models. people fighting with different classes. lots of things really.

@loki. agreed. more than just talk.

Biglines
07-02-12, 23:30
What should NC3 be...

More than just talk.
I wish they were even talking... :p

(Sorry, cudn't resist)

zii
08-02-12, 16:02

Hmm, I just added this embedded link to my download mirror.

flib
08-02-12, 20:42
NC1 with 500 plus people per server at slow times. 800+ at peak times and no bugs would be fine with me.

I dont care about graphics updates and new quests and shit. I want NC1 with more players and no crashing or cheaters.
Neocron will never even have 100 players with stoneage graphics.

hatmankh
08-02-12, 21:22
Unfortunately its true, you could have the greatest game ever but if the graphics aren't good, people won't even try it and find out. Anyone still reading these forums obviously doesn't care that much about graphics but most people are graphics whores. :p

Biglines
09-02-12, 02:02
Neocron will never even have 100 players with stoneage graphics.
tbh, back when neocron became free we had 20-27% pops, great times

Mr_Snow
09-02-12, 05:33
A remake? People have so little vision and imagination that they want a brand new game to be the old one, but newer with a bit more content?

I loved Neocron, poured thousands of hours into it, if I sat down for a few hours I could easily write down a hundred things that need to be changed, radically overhauled, thrown out completely or added.

Tokyo II bitches, Tokyo II is the future.

William Antrim
09-02-12, 17:31
Tokyo II bitches, Tokyo II is the future.

2nded. Plus 1, QFT and all of that other shite people used to put to inflate their post count and thus e-penis.

In reference to my previous post - I can almost bet my life that NC (in a new incarnation) will have a graphical overhaul. What I meant was I would not be fussed if the said overhaul was not WOW-esque (huge budget, lots of artists) provided the content team got the biggest slice of the pie. The guys who design how a game plays and most importantly how balanced it is, are the most important in my eyes.

I love a pretty game dont get me wrong but as we saw with Black Prophecy, beauty is only skin deep.

Despite its flaws NC1 was actually fairly successful in its inception and even then it had "dated" graphics.

Hell I am playing Syndicate on a Snes emulator at the moment, not for its graphical excellence but just because I fucking loved the game play of it 22 years ago....

L0KI
09-02-12, 17:41
Hell I am playing Syndicate on a Snes emulator at the moment, not for its graphical excellence but just because I fucking loved the game play of it 22 years ago....

What a game.

(plus one, seconded, QFT)

Setlec
10-02-12, 00:36
just port the actual content into a new engine, that's all i want, the rest like new content, new story line and etc, are a big +.

Biglines
10-02-12, 00:41
just port the actual content into a new engine, that's all i want, the rest like new content, new story line and etc, are a big +.
what's the point of porting current content to a new engine? Might as well play the current game then.

either implement anti-cheat in the current game, or make a completely new game

Setlec
10-02-12, 04:40
well if KK can't afford investing in new content they should focus on porting it with new engine deal with the flaws that the current has def files should be server instead of client side by doing that reducing incredibly the hacks... also they could make a new netcode and etc...

Doc Holliday
10-02-12, 08:32
reimagine the ip of neocron on a new engine and all the trimmings. Use the lore and the factions and even some of the story for it. push it forward 50 years, 100 years or what ever. bring new stuff to the game.

Conveniently lose woc somewhere along the way ;)

Biglines
10-02-12, 13:14
well if KK can't afford investing in new content they should focus on porting it with new engine deal with the flaws that the current has def files should be server instead of client side by doing that reducing incredibly the hacks... also they could make a new netcode and etc...
new content in general, or new content on the current game? I don't think you understand how much effort porting requires if the engine isn't already multi-platform

Setlec
11-02-12, 20:13
i think you misunderstood me, Biglines. game content is music, 3d models and etc. Porting content from an engine to another (NC current messed up engine to say idtech4) has a different meaning than port a binary game to other platform (win to linux) which i've said anything this matter so far.

Biglines
11-02-12, 23:18
i think you misunderstood me, Biglines. game content is music, 3d models and etc. Porting content from an engine to another (NC current messed up engine to say idtech4) has a different meaning than port a binary game to other platform (win to linux) which i've said anything this matter so far.
No I understood perfectly, it's the same principle though. If (and only if) KK even had the 3d models and music in source formats, they would have to be put in the new engine (you can't just tell your computer to "put those models into that engine, presto!"), and the entire game would have to be programmed from scratch. So the only "porting" that would be even remotely feasible would have been to port between platforms. Since this wasn't meant, the point is, "porting" content is about as much work as making a new game, and tbh, if they are going to program the whole game in a new engine, why would they stick to the 10 year old models?