PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Deus Ex: Human Revolution

flib
19-09-11, 12:17
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, I know that a lot of people here have been talking about it.

Now that it's been out for almost a month, I imagine most people have played through it at least once. So what does everyone think? Also, what platform did you all play it on? I played on PC, because it's a PC game.

In my opinion, it's a worthy successor to the original; true to the original to a fault, even.

In short:

The music isn't as chipper and iconic as in the original, but it provides a nice atmosphere and doesn't make it feel goofy.
With the added cover system, the combat feels like Mass Effect, but good (as a Mass Effect fan, myself) and is perfect for stealth. Much better than lean keys.
The graphics are not and never intended to be photo-realistic. They're slightly stylized, which is kind of cool to look at. The whole art direction is just gorgeous.
The story fit very nicely into the established universe and leads up the DX quite nicely.

There were a few major issues with it, though:

Boss battles are poorly conceived. No consideration for stealth/non-lethal gameplay.
There is a bit of glitchiness in things like the inventory. Clicks not registering and such.

They really got the essence of what a Deus Ex game should be and I'm very pleased with it.
I'm saving my third playthrough for when the first DLC comes out next month.

CMaster
19-09-11, 12:49
It's a brilliant game, although certainly not without some fairly substantial problems. The cover system in general works very well, but causes diffculties with some weapons (a couple of guns really need the iron sights. Even with changing the cover key to toggle, trying to iron sights out of cover is a massive, massive pain).

I actually thought that the game was graphically very ugly. Sure, the art direction is clear and strong, but it's ruined by a ridiculous over use of filters, making everything blur together and civilian model-overuse and poor animation.

Equally, as an immersive sim, it was disappointing. This is probably a result of the compromises made for the lack of memory on the consoles. Every level save for the Omega Ranch and the Detroit police station was a "wide corridor" design, in several cases with pretty blatant "this is the stealth path" "this is the combat path". It's not that the original didn't have a good few examples of that - it's that it also had plenty of situations where you were placed outside a building, or sometimes an entire enemy facility, and allowed to approach it however you want. Equally, hacking ends up really overpowered. Hacking gets you everything - disabled security, disabled traps, open safes, open doors, plot hints. Hacking represents a huge advantage to every play style, while there's no other path you could pursue. Which is a shame.

On the other hand, the sense of drama, the voice acting, the drive forward never lets you down or distances you from the game like the original would.

Ashley003
19-09-11, 12:52
I'm hardly even any way in it, I've played 15 hours and I've done all the Detroit side-quests and 3 or 4 story missions. It's such a good game it hurts, living up to the original Deus Ex, the graphics aren't the best but they work really well, the cover system I was worried about pre-release (same with Red Orchestra 2) but it delivered well and works really good (also the same with Red Orchestra 2), the characters are pretty cool but Pritchard is a tw@ (Alex was better), and Jensen ain't as stylin' as J.C., but he's still pretty cool. The stealth in the game is really good but if you wanna play a Pacifist Run it's quite unfair as the intro counts and like the boss battles (from what I hear anyway, haven't gotten to the first boss battle yet) there's no options for stealth or non-lethal.

But despite some of these faults the game is one of the best this year, if not THE best.

Oh, and I played it on PC. Deus Ex not on PC is blasphemy.

flib
19-09-11, 14:19
Dude. His sunglasses are built into his face, AND they retract! He also has an epicly pointy beard.

The conversation animations really are horrible. It's like they just didn't have enough time to finish it, so they just kept the testing animations in for most of the people in the game. Yet, there are other animations in the game that look totally natural and convincing.

The thing that disappointed me about hacking is that it was absolutely necessary to upgrade your hacking rating in order to complete the side missions. Unless you got the Exclusive Pack (or was it Explosive?) that comes with multitools (automatic unlocking devices), which totally breaks the game.

They should have delayed the game again to fix some of the serious issues.

Ashley003
19-09-11, 16:20
Dude. His sunglasses are built into his face, AND they retract! He also has an epicly pointy beard.

The conversation animations really are horrible. It's like they just didn't have enough time to finish it, so they just kept the testing animations in for most of the people in the game. Yet, there are other animations in the game that look totally natural and convincing.

The thing that disappointed me about hacking is that it was absolutely necessary to upgrade your hacking rating in order to complete the side missions. Unless you got the Exclusive Pack (or was it Explosive?) that comes with multitools (automatic unlocking devices), which totally breaks the game.

They should have delayed the game again to fix some of the serious issues.

J.C. doesn't need retracting shades though, his vision is augmented. :D

He also don't need no facial hair.

rob444
19-09-11, 17:52
IMO a worthy successor. The game wasn't bad at all, infact, it was great.
The game seems to have been made for the PS3 (still a bit consolish on the PC but not a big deal).

Not that many bugs but there was one game breaking bug for me and that is when you shoot people with tranqualizers or stun them with the stun gun (tried to get the Pacifist achievement), they would (rarely) _DIE_. AFAIK there is no in-game information about victims possibly dying from these kind of weapons but we all know it's a bug and the developers have officially announced on their forum that it's that way because of "realism" (if I wanted "realism" I'd play Red Orchestra 2 or something..).
Ended up in me not getting the pacifist achievement and had to load someone else's save to get it -_-. I'm still upset about that and I can't honestly think of any reason having that achievement if the game decides to screw up and kill your victims, yeah there is a load feature but I was never aware that these weapons could kill so I didn't bother checking each body's "status" when looting because tbh I don't think you should have to unless they maybe felt into something hazardous when stunning them.

I definitely recommend the game, I just want to warn you if you are aiming for the pacifist achievement - Check ALL bodies...

CMaster
19-09-11, 18:08
Or you know, not leave any bodies.

I wasn't a pure pacifist, because of a couple of situations. But I got through almost all the missions without engaging anybody at all.

William Antrim
19-09-11, 18:09
Well I considered making a thread about it but I have been working overtime to save up money to send the NC devs an xbox and a couple of copies of the game.

This game is how I would like to see NC in the future.

I wouldnt care if people said "HEY NC IS LIKE DEUS EX ONLINE!!!!" Id like that.

Brammers
19-09-11, 18:27
@William Antrim - You forgot to add, "Make NC like this, but with bigger zones and no zonelines!" :D

I've been enjoying the game, still on the early parts of the game. I would have played a little more, however I've been playing NC again. :lol:

Anyway, I think Flibs got most of the points right about the game, although I thought the conversation animations and voice acting seemed good to me.

CMaster
19-09-11, 18:40
Well I considered making a thread about it but I have been working overtime to save up money to send the NC devs an xbox and a couple of copies of the game.

This game is how I would like to see NC in the future.

I wouldnt care if people said "HEY NC IS LIKE DEUS EX ONLINE!!!!" Id like that.

Neocron was talked about as "like Deus Ex, but an MMO" back when they first started promoting it to magazines. And why the hell you'd send them an XBOX rather than Steam codes, I don't know...

although I thought the conversation animations and voice acting seemed good to me.

Voice acting varies between fine and very good. (In contrast to Deus Ex, where it varied between poor and fucking awful). The animations though - half the characters jitter like they're doped up on a caffeine/amphetamine mix the whole conversation. Sarif's secretary and the receptionist are some early game examples, but you see it again and again.

flib
19-09-11, 18:52
Not that many bugs but there was one game breaking bug for me and that is when you shoot people with tranqualizers or stun them with the stun gun (tried to get the Pacifist achievement), they would (rarely) _DIE_. AFAIK there is no in-game information about victims possibly dying from these kind of weapons but we all know it's a bug and the developers have officially announced on their forum that it's that way because of "realism" (if I wanted "realism" I'd play Red Orchestra 2 or something..).
Ended up in me not getting the pacifist achievement and had to load someone else's save to get it -_-. I'm still upset about that and I can't honestly think of any reason having that achievement if the game decides to screw up and kill your victims, yeah there is a load feature but I was never aware that these weapons could kill so I didn't bother checking each body's "status" when looting because tbh I don't think you should have to unless they maybe felt into something hazardous when stunning them.

I definitely recommend the game, I just want to warn you if you are aiming for the pacifist achievement - Check ALL bodies...
That happens when you shoot someone who is green. It's like that so that attacking citizens with your non-lethal weapons forfeits the achievement, I guess.
They did not announce that it's there for realism, some snarky mod came in the thread and tried to explain why it's okay, because that's what the mods there do. Whenever someone brings up an issue, a mod comes in and mocks them, and then, after a bunch of other people make it clear that it's a legitimate issue, they remain silent.

William Antrim
19-09-11, 18:57
Mods eh.....

Yes I know that NC was compared to Deus Ex originally. That is one of the reasons I picked it up - the similarities in the old RPOS were significant not to mention the premise of the game and implants and "mods" etc.

I still describe NC as LIKE DEUS EX to all my mates in a really excited voice.

flib
19-09-11, 19:01
Neocron was talked about as "like Deus Ex, but an MMO" back when they first started promoting it to magazines. And why the hell you'd send them an XBOX rather than Steam codes, I don't know...With an Xbox, they can all share it. :cool:

I thought the conversation animations and voice acting seemed good to me.I liked all the voices in the game, even Adam and Sarif's, which are ones that a lot of people complain about.
The animations don't match what they're talking about though. It's just like a stock animation that is played on repeat. I think they just didn't have the time to animate every conversation in the game. :(

CMaster
19-09-11, 19:12
Whenever someone brings up an issue, a mod comes in and mocks them, and then, after a bunch of other people make it clear that it's a legitimate issue, they remain silent.

Sounds almost familiar, that.

eNTi
19-09-11, 19:56
the game has many problems. the game world itself feels entirely disconnected.

i still enjoyed it, despite it's many many short comings.

Chuck Norris
19-09-11, 22:50
felt rushed seemed crappy, which in todays gaming world is totally acceptable unfortunately.

rob444
20-09-11, 13:08
That happens when you shoot someone who is green. It's like that so that attacking citizens with your non-lethal weapons forfeits the achievement, I guess.
They did not announce that it's there for realism, some snarky mod came in the thread and tried to explain why it's okay, because that's what the mods there do. Whenever someone brings up an issue, a mod comes in and mocks them, and then, after a bunch of other people make it clear that it's a legitimate issue, they remain silent.

Shooting people that is green? I never shot at civilians o_O.

gamefreak
20-09-11, 15:51
One of the best games i played recently.

The only letdown was that it's obviously console optimised and the levels are therefor smaller. Oh how great it could have been if you had a bit more freedom and were able to approach buildings from all angles like in the old days....

Still a great game.

flib
20-09-11, 16:03
Shooting people that is green? I never shot at civilians o_O.
For example, the gang members are green until you encroach on their turf or attack them. You sometimes have to get through them to complete your objective.