PDA

View Full Version : Are ReaKKtor going for the record?

L0KI
17-06-11, 23:38
It's very rare that I start a thread on these forums these days, but I couldn't suppress my cynicism on this occasion.

Recently, 2K games released their utter let-down of a sequel, Duke Nukem Forever, which scored abysmally amongst critics' ratings globally. To be fair though, it is a pile of dated shit.

The game has been in development on and off since 1998, meaning there was a gap of 13 whole years between this and the last version of Duke Nukem (not including the piss-poor TPS PSX version). This got me thinking, and Googling.

Previously, the record was held by Starcraft, after they finally released Starcraft 2 last year; 12 years after the release of Starcraft: Brood Wars. Duke Nukem topped it, but only just.

At this point, my optimism (read: cynicism) came into play. Neocron was released in 2002, and let's face it, Neocron 2 wasn't a sequel - it was a patch with a new area and some new textures. It doesn't take a genius to work out that it is now 2011 - 9 years since the retail launch of Neocron. It is also realistic to assume that KK aren't going to even begin development of the 'semi-promised', and eagerly awaiting Neocron 3 until late 2012, maybe even 2013, and said development will likely take two or three years at best, putting it on target for a release in 2016, at which point, they'd take the crown.

Or maybe I just wasted 3 minutes of your life, and we're never going to see even the long-overdue anti cheater (sorry, sandwich) patch, let alone a new version of the greatest MMO ever to be thought up, designed, developed and released.

What a crying fucking shame.

flib
18-06-11, 00:46
DNF was announced in 1997. SCII was announced in 2007, 10 years later, and still released sooner.
DNF took 14 years to make, whereas SCII only took 3. (not including pre-announcement dev time.)
It seems like the SC series was on hiatus or done until they decided to make a sequel many years later, when technology go to the point where they could get away with selling the same thing with better graphics and call it a sequel.

A better comparison is TF2, which was also announced in the late 90's (1998?) and released in 2007, after around 10 years of development. TF2's development story is quite similar to DNF's, except that some people don't consider it a let-down.

To be fair, though, I get that your point is that Neocron has been outdated for way too long, but it's not the same as DNF or even SCII, because it's not like NC3 has even started development.

Biglines
18-06-11, 00:53
well dnf was taken up by like 10 different companies, I think tf2 always remained with valve, just on a backburner while they worked on halflife 2 etc.

also afaik valve never announced tf2 to be finished at a certain time, just that they were working on it. And while currently it's a bit too much hat/micro-transaction based for my tastes, the first few years of tf2 the game was bloody awesome.

and tf2 is success in that it was pretty much universally acclaimed as being very good, which in my book allows for a long development time, while dnf is utter crap, even though it was in development for so long.

as to nc3, they did say they were working on it. Just cuz we don't believe it, just makes it like dnf, where they keep telling people it's coming, but other than a few screenshots (or in nc3's case, a concept artpiece), nothing whatsoever is shown.

Flashlite
18-06-11, 00:55
why are people still caring on about how bad KK is. we all know KK is bad now stfu. if they were a good company neocron 2 wouldnt be here. we still be in neocron playing with 1000 other players owning in pepper park.

Biglines
18-06-11, 01:05
same reason you keep posting why we bother :p

Flashlite
18-06-11, 01:10
im not posting im just replying to all the baddies that cry everyday on this inactive forum. Saying how about KK don't like them and won't listen to what they say.

Genji
18-06-11, 10:04
I heard nc3 will never be released unless biglines logs into neocron. true story

Doc Holliday
18-06-11, 12:47
I heard nc3 will never be released unless biglines logs into neocron. true story

if i could hit like on this comment i would. it made me laugh.