PDA

View Full Version : [OT] The next MMORPGFPS to close down

Kamuix99
02-06-11, 14:30
According to this latest podcast (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/fallen-earth-community) the post apocalyptic MMORPG/FPS "Fallen Earth" by Icarus Studios is going to be F2P. Icarus announced the shift of servers to Gamersfirst company, most probably in conjunction with their risal of $8.11 million in April. This is going to be the 4th major restructuring to the game, following after Lee Hammock and Dave Hayedish had left the game with Marie Croall being the latest lead Game Designer. Also it seems that the GM team will be shrinked down.

Judging from the latest state of the game, which basically was unbalanced weapons, no reasons for PVP and a half done combat revmap, I doubt this step will be of any help to the game. Rather the devs missed the time and chance to bring the game into stable waters, ignoring major complaints by the player community and wasted precious time on experimenting around with the engine. Even when it's free to play, an malfunctious product stays what it is - malfunctious.

Biglines
02-06-11, 18:48
the community was against them releasing it from before retail, tbh I hadn't expected it to last this long, they might have actually made some money off it. it had a great idea, but very badly executed. might take a look at it when its f2p, but dont think it will change my opinion

Kamuix99
02-06-11, 23:56
Well, it won't get better with F2P. Somehow they missed the point for continous progress once server stability had been achieved. Several imbalances stayed in game and instead of ironing out these, they rather decided to throw over the whole thing, blaming previous devs.

I went to Black Prophecy and hope to see an actual and fresh Neocron someday.

Biglines
03-06-11, 01:06
are you enjoying bp? tried it for a few hours, couldn't get into it... even quest areas are instanced...

Serah Logan
03-06-11, 08:41
Sad. I watched FE for a long time, and when it came out it wasn't bad. But the grind wore me out. It was also the first game where I really made a valid attempt at a PVP character. But after 25 levels or so, and spending hours alone in the so called 'conflict towns' looking for PVP, I said fuck it.

As far as BP is concerned, I have to agree - the instanced combat and HORRIBLE controls killed that game for me. I guess I disliked the controls so badly because I like flight sims too.

Neocron - bless its soul - has it all. The crafting system is awesome - always liked having to hunt down someone to res a pistol, or rep my armor. It lends to the RP factor tremendously.

Kamuix99
04-06-11, 00:43
So far, I like BP due to Space surrounding, cockpit view, ships. World is instanced, not much of a problem for me so far though. Will see how motivating it's in a few months still.

Chuck Norris
04-06-11, 19:08
I hear hell gate London is now F2P now that Kim Jong ill took it over, check it out.

Kamuix99
04-06-11, 22:47
By the way, GamersFirst now uses a tight reign over the Fallen Earth Forums. Any uncomfortable thread may disappear without prior or later notice. When I posted about this, it didn't took 2 mins till my thread was gone either.

Hell-demon
05-06-11, 00:00
I hear hell gate London is now F2P now that Kim Jong ill took it over, check it out.

I'll be honest, I loled :D

Apocalypsox
06-06-11, 07:01
:lol:

Yup, I lold too.

Brammers
06-06-11, 11:31
One game they did get F2P to work well is on LOTRO. I hear it's making even more money than it did under the P2P model.

However if the game isn't that good (Like with BP) or not balanced (Like it's been suggested here with FE) F2P won't save the game. All F2P will do is bring income on cosmetic in-game items - you will always get some players going "OMG I must have that!" *Click* *Pay*" before they realise that the item isn't really that make use in game at all.

Also if KK was to make Neocron 2 F2P, how do you think they would change the world mechanics to allow for F2P to work?

I wouldn't put it on them to make construction 3 times slower unless you had purchased a construction license. (BP already has this (https://itemshop-en.gamigo.com/itemshop_blackprophecy/?mn=details&mi=33|49) )

Biglines
06-06-11, 11:49
I think neocron would actually be one of the few games in which f2p might work properly, the construction license you mentioned would probably not be priced higher than the monthly subscription would be. But official f2p (on a properly patched game) would bring in loads and loads of new players, in a post apocalyptic world with personal and clan appartments, and investment in how you character looks. In a team based game, lots of newbies would ruin the fun for the rest (for example, GA turning free to play has turned general pvp matches in nightmares, thank god for ava), but in a game like neocron, it would simply serve as cannon fodder, or newbies could band together to fight better players, but because of the openness it would not matter much.

The main problem with f2p in my experience, is that f2p allows hackers to just get new accounts easily. Now are we already used to that in neocron, but without proper anti-cheat software (such as punkbuster or VAC), it would have trouble keeping any newcomers.

Doc Holliday
06-06-11, 12:33
f2p and p2p side by side can be a good option. personally i would prefer to see a p2p only. it eliminates a certain level of undesirables this way :)

not everyone who doesnt have a bank account is a total tard but lets face it most are. i know thats controversial and barriers for entry can be harsh sometimes but if it helps keep the game world cleaner of total morons then im all for it.

Besides. p2p means revenue generation for the company to develop and sustain the game. what still baffles me is why no one ever came up with the idea of doing a tiered system for p2p. do a basic account service at a nominal fee and then a "premium" one for the people who wish to have more choice etc. even if the download/account activation is free at least its better than the mmo being totally free and them only getting money from the premiums.

even if it was say $5 and $10 per month its something. it would also help people who dont want to use credit cards but will use paypal etc through the bank account.

Biglines
06-06-11, 14:49
like xbox live silver/gold? or the freemium model? or like global agenda used to have, free pve missions, pay for clan vs clan battles?

Doc Holliday
06-06-11, 16:10
like xbox live silver/gold? or the freemium model? or like global agenda used to have, free pve missions, pay for clan vs clan battles?

xbl is free on silver. u only pay for gold. i havent used silver so i cant say how restrictive it is tho. had gold since i got my first xbox. no idea about the other references u made.

Biglines
06-06-11, 16:44
ah, tiered in payment, misread sorry.

I think some mmo's did it, where you could pay for expansions, but did not have to, but you were restricted to fewer quests/levels/abilities. Anarchy Online did that I think. No idea if the subscription fee was different for different tiers tho, but I think it's similar

(freemium = free basic service, pay for premium services, it's a very common business model)

eNTi
10-06-11, 23:09
lol this game was so awful. i'm glad they're gone. fucking wasted €50 on this crap, because you know... $50 == €50 in mmorpg-land. same shit for rift, which also is a CRAPGAME. fuck this, they can all go to hell.

Kamuix99
13-06-11, 02:23
It was promising at start, but they didn't evolve their gameworld properly. Rather then listening to the Players, the producing company changed their lead devs 2 times and fired 75% of their staff. The new devs just experimented around, finally making Factions, Skills and most equipment useless.

Damn shame that NC doesn't get a major patch to live up again.

Setlec
13-06-11, 03:06
Damn shame that NC doesn't get a major patch to live up again.
amen to that!

L0KI
13-06-11, 10:28
amen to that!

/signed the amen.

Doc Holliday
13-06-11, 10:53
/co-signed.

Setlec
13-06-11, 15:41
lol you freaks! just kidding... Hey small question Doom 3 source code will be released some time after the release of Rage, would Id Tech 4, after some upgrade, be suited to NC? gameplay wise and style both games are somewhat similar.

Biglines
13-06-11, 17:13
short answer: no

doom engine isn't really good for mmo's, unless you want instanced bullshit where you have to load for minutes every time you zone (yes, even more than in neocron)

afaik there are very few fps engines that can handle shooting with more than 16v16, although some games get all horny when they go to 32v32, but not very suitable for an mmo like neocron that should be able to handle more than 64 players in one zone. (even though this hasn't happened in neocron in 3 years, it should be possible in any new nc :D)

Setlec
13-06-11, 18:48
Wouldn't that be solved with a new network framework?

battlefield 1942 had support for 64 players.

Biglines
13-06-11, 22:46
Wouldn't that be solved with a new network framework?

battlefield 1942 had support for 64 players.
no, it's based on the way models etc are loaded into memory/gfx card. Big games (gameworld-wise) like mmo's that aren't instanced, need gradual loading of geometry, while most fps games like doom and even battlefield depend much more on loading a huge chunk of a map into memory, instead of "streaming" it.

The engine behind assassins creed would be capable of handling the graphics side of it, no idea if it could handle twitch action fps:

that said, there's a reason there are almost no mmo's that can handle actual twitch action FPS gameplay properly. Fallen earth tried, but failed miserably with lag and simplistic aiming. Neocron handles it by making aim mostly client side based and depending on keeping aim, instead of twitch action aim, although it's far from perfect, both in hack sensitivity and things like clipping.

about the 64 player size, true, but ever played on a 32v32 server? with intense action in one spot? it's mostly unplayable. It shows, a 9 year old game (bf1942), hasn't really been surpassed in amount of players.

Doc Holliday
14-06-11, 09:51
Huh. new engine. theres nothing wrong with the one we have now :angel: :lol:

Biglines
14-06-11, 11:24
which one u mean? we have two..

(seriously, nc has two gfx engines)

Doc Holliday
14-06-11, 12:09
which one u mean? we have two..

(seriously, nc has two gfx engines)

i didnt realise that. however it was just a sarcastic joke. lots of people say they preffered some of the older artwork/models of things on the guns myself included. i just thought with a change of engine it would mean changes in all of this again. besides. what would neocron be without fatalruntime errors. we all love those ;)

Biglines
14-06-11, 12:26
i didnt realise that. however it was just a sarcastic joke. lots of people say they preffered some of the older artwork/models of things on the guns myself included. i just thought with a change of engine it would mean changes in all of this again. besides. what would neocron be without fatalruntime errors. we all love those ;)
i know, i was being sarcastic too bout which one, poking fun at using two gfx engines in one game :p (which is why most people fatal in the wastelands when they alt-tab, but are fine in indoors environments)

and tbh, the new artwork was done by external companies afaik, so a new nc3 would probably not be made by those companies again.

Kamuix99
14-06-11, 12:53
Despite i was fond of Fallen Earth at first, still i found combat in Neocron more dynamic. Then also, there are no useless weapon categories in Neocron as it turned out to be in FE.

Guess KK could win back some subs, by bringing a major patch for nc along with cheat detection. Alone the fact that nc has clan controlable outposts and housing might catch the interest of former Fe vets.

Jodo
15-06-11, 15:02
The housing in NC is one of it's best features imo. In most games, you're screwed if you have more items than you can hold in your inv and bank. This is an enormous amount of frustration to most players as we all like to have keepsakes and/or potentially useful items somewhere safe.
SWG tackles this quite well, including the ability to "display" just about any item as a trophy. However, the limited ground space makes things very difficult and irritating to get back home unless you lucked out on a prime location.
NC doesn't have this issue with their impressive and far reaching skyscrapers, you can pretty much get a home next door to your favourite part of the city regardless of current occupants.
IF NC 3 ever does rear its mutated head, updating item storage options while still being able to pick your favourite location could be a major draw to new players if marketed correctly.

dodgefahrer
15-06-11, 20:32
/signed

Ive played plenty diff MMOs of all kind and never seen such a impressive housing system then Neocrons. AION will bring housing with a future patch/update but im sure it wont be as good as Neocrons is^^.

Fenix Wylde
28-06-11, 15:21
FE was one of my favourite MMOs. I keep coming back to NC and FE.
Lately I haven't had any interest at all in playing any mmos, mainly due to work and I wanted to get a life :D

Jodo
29-06-11, 05:55
Gutted about this one (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13925263). :(
I hope they make The Old Republic good enough to last.