PDA

View Full Version : You can never be cured of a Neocrack addiction.

Trillian
29-04-11, 02:23
I swear, it rots your brain. Here's proof:

I quit all online gaming around the time I went back to college. Now, I "should" graduate in a few weeks, and i'm totally jonesing for some PvP or caving.

While trying to write a term paper for one of my history classes, without thinking I used the term "tradeskiller". Only when MS word couldn't find it and following a google search did I realize that tradeskiller is not a word in the real world.

Now the really pathetic part...
It's a really nice day out today. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and part of me can't help but thinking "It sure would be a nice day to go WB hunting in I-06."

Is one ever completely cured of the NC addiction? And if not.. what are the servers like now days? I haven't re-skilled any of my characters since the points reset that came with 2.1. Has the game gotten better or worse? I would love a reason to get my gaming computer out of the closet.

Nikabolokov
29-04-11, 02:51
You are always a recovering Neo-addict, it never leaves you.

Found myself logging in for first time in ages, made two new characters and found i actually enjoyed it!

Also nice to see a few more peeps on, 5% when I was online.

flib
29-04-11, 04:49
I'm pretty much over Neocron tbh.

Powerpunsh
29-04-11, 04:52
a true neocron crack will never forget. ;)

L0KI
29-04-11, 08:41
Is one ever completely cured of the NC addiction? And if not.. what are the servers like now days? I haven't re-skilled any of my characters since the points reset that came with 2.1. Has the game gotten better or worse? I would love a reason to get my gaming computer out of the closet.

Much, much worse.

I too used to be an addict, but NC 2.2 doesn't inspire me. It's like they took my favourite game in the world, raped it and left it used, sad, sagging and rotten.

:(

Biglines
29-04-11, 10:52
regretfully most of the few remaining optimists have left over the last 2 years of complete abandonment by KK (except the cabinets/apps bug)

there're still quite a few people playing, and pve is probably not a problem, just don't expect opfighting or random pvp to be much fun

Morpheus
29-04-11, 15:11
Addictive! Still!

And *Pssst*, don't you tell my wife. She thinks i am "clean" :P ROFL

cu ingame

Genology
29-04-11, 16:01
Addictive! Still!

And *Pssst*, don't you tell my wife. She thinks i am "clean" :P ROFL

cu ingame

Gotta hide your .exe's and change icons :), they dont understand

Torg
29-04-11, 16:23
I haven't re-skilled any of my characters since the points reset that came with 2.1. i did, and its worth it. to me 2.2 is the best/most balanced NC we ever got. but you may want to care for your meatspace needs first. NC will wait for you, in the dark, untouched by time.
in other words: "That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die",
or in more original words: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn". ok?

Apocalypsox
01-05-11, 03:43
I have the ridiculous urge to be in Plaza 2 aggy cellars (Back when they were in the gun shop) Farming plasma pistol drops :< While using a plasma pistol.

I broke so many pistols doing that, And you just sold them and used another one you had laying in your inventory :lol:

Distort
01-05-11, 05:09
It's still fun imho, came back a couple of months ago myself after a multi-year hiatus...if you can stand very little PvP and finding that you might very well be the only person online occasionally, you'll be alright.

Setlec
01-05-11, 05:57
i did, and its worth it. to me 2.2 is the best/most balanced NC we ever got.

You joking right? 2.2 is the worst and most unbalanced NC so far! right now it's a SPY-O-CRON!

Biglines
01-05-11, 12:23
You joking right? 2.2 is the worst and most unbalanced NC so far! right now it's a SPY-O-CRON!
that I disagree with, a good tank will beat spies just fine, and most spies go down to 3 ionic shots from a pistol pe.

only thing is that spy stealth whoring makes spies able to always zone instead of dieing.

Neallys
01-05-11, 13:15

Log your spy!
:D

Dribble Joy
01-05-11, 14:36
NC1 was so long ago most people don't realise how borked it was. 2.2 isn't perfect but at least we don't have stuff like libby tanks or hybrids anymore.

Biglines
01-05-11, 15:30
at least we don't have stuff like libby tanks.
hehe, I know someone who still plays a pretty successful libby tank :p

Omnituens
01-05-11, 16:29
NC1 was so long ago most people don't realise how borked it was. 2.2 isn't perfect but at least we don't have stuff like libby tanks or hybrids anymore.

HYBRID HATER :mad:

CMaster
01-05-11, 17:41

I'm sorry, but everyone being a spy or monk is much, much better than NC2/2.1 of everybody being a monk. And I thought tanks still turned out in reasonable numbers at op fights too?

There's plenty wrong with 2.2, but I think people oh-so-easily forget how bad it used to be.

Biglines
01-05-11, 18:31
ye 3 months ago (when i still played), it was usually 50/50 tanks and spies

Nikabolokov
01-05-11, 18:40
Nothing wrong with Libby tanks, at least we had some variation back then.

silent000
01-05-11, 22:39
The main thing I miss is the pulse laser pistol rate of fire.

It gave more of a 'melt' feeling.

Doc Holliday
02-05-11, 11:05
i dont miss hybrids but also i dont recall there being a load of libby tanks or anything like you imply dj. Most people were chasing CS parts and Marine CPUs and zerk 3s during tankocrons heyday in 2003. those are some of my earliest memories of starting up neocron.

Tanks that would spec repair skill because it was their only option for trade. Zerk 3s changing hands for 500k-1m (considered a lot of money back in those days) People begging for cs parts. Aliah coming online and everyone rushing to her for construction because she was regarded as one of the best on the server. (she built me some nice toys over time) Smurfs standing around in p1 talking then all of a sudden rushing off to p1/p2 aggie sewers because some tool decided it was noob ganking time.

People actually shouting about pkers at MB or where ever. strange how no one ever shouted about it in pp. i think on uranus that was the accepted zone for pvp. if you were there with no le get used to it. shame because at after the level 1 sewers at 0/5 it was a good place to go for levelling :P

Yes i still have a very bad addiction. im hoping development begins again soon. i think alot of us need it.

Dribble Joy
02-05-11, 15:44
To be fair the libby tank thing was only for a very short time. The libby itself was the problem, it was just that tanks had higher defence than anyone else at the time.

Morpheus
02-05-11, 15:51
...it was just that tanks had higher defence than anyone else at the time.
When talking about resists, isn't that still the case? What else would be a reason for playing a tank otherwise.

Biglines
02-05-11, 16:46
When talking about resists, isn't that still the case? What else would be a reason for playing a tank otherwise.
speed, tanks outrun anything

flib
02-05-11, 18:31
speed, tanks outrun anything
but what good is speed? All the "pros" claim that anybody that doesn't suck never misses.

Biglines
02-05-11, 18:38
but what good is speed? All the "pros" claim that anybody that doesn't suck never misses.
lol, true that speed doesn't help against sandwiches, but against normal players speed makes you much, much harder to hit. Plus in opwars it allows you to take cover behind obstacles (and if taken to the extreme, to clip like a bitch ;))

at the moment, speed is actually far far far more important than resists. my apu has almost no resists, but is fast as fuck, and as such is very very hard to hit (and no, I don't clip on my apu in normal fights)

Faid
03-05-11, 01:50
Speed = Clipping (especially at op fights)
Aside from that, as Biggie said, the faster you are the harder you are to hit. When I used to play, the speed setups were the best, it didnt matter how much resists you had specced you still died to a dissy in less that one clip. However if said dissy spy couldnt hit you because you were speeding all around him, your chances of winning were considerably higher. But sandwiches are sandwiches also and who really knows whats going on :p

Powerpunsh
03-05-11, 03:17
KK should increase the staminadrain heavily with a higher agl/atl skill. So tanks could outskill the speedmalus due to h-c cannons with a nice staminagain (endurance) and spies wouldnt be that fast. Neither with booster cause the drain would be so heavy without endurance skilled that it would take 2 seconds to be out of stamina. That would be cool. :angel:

Genology
03-05-11, 05:56

Fo real, and if there is any class that needs to be tweaked its pe's not spys. Pistol pe's can run around at full speed with pistol drawn and empty a clip of ammo on u before u can get 8 cs rounds off, all while being able to run cast decent asd. Oh and stealth.... So dont say spys are unstoppable thats complete shit id have to say almost no spy will beat any of the other properly setup class's

Doc Holliday
03-05-11, 09:30
Fo real, and if there is any class that needs to be tweaked its pe's not spys. Pistol pe's can run around at full speed with pistol drawn and empty a clip of ammo on u before u can get 8 cs rounds off, all while being able to run cast decent asd. Oh and stealth.... So dont say spys are unstoppable thats complete shit id have to say almost no spy will beat any of the other properly setup class's

lol. Everyone knows pe's are not what they used to be.

Biglines
03-05-11, 10:41
u sure u played in the last few years? pe's vs tank or spy of equal skill will always lose unless the pe gets in all the ionic shots (and has enough ionic pistols in his belt).

Doc Holliday
03-05-11, 21:08
like 11 right :) 11 ionic pistols :lol:

Biglines
03-05-11, 22:51
lol, well, if u have 4 ionic pistols (like I do), and actually manage to hit all of the shots (like I never do), then u can kill even a buffed spy. the problem is hitting them all tho ;)

Mr Kot
09-05-11, 19:39
i'm totally jonesing for some PvP or caving.

It's a really nice day out today. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and part of me can't help but thinking "It sure would be a nice day to go WB hunting in I-06."That feeling is akin to visiting an old bar that you haven't been to in years, or tasting a drink / dessert that you used to love that you haven't tasted for years.. just to see if you still like it. Then it tastes delicious and wonder why you ever neglected it in the first place.

Is one ever completely cured of the NC addiction?You can go spend money on therapy if you want to, but is it a bad thing? Is it harmful? Or does it just feed your endorphin craving?

When you go caving with an AoE weapon that hits a large cluster of mobs at once and you see the multitude of numbers flying up.. does it remind you of the feeling of popping bubble-wrap several bubbles at a time.. or even walking on it?

Then there are the people that make the game what it is: its niche community. How many people have you wanted to meet up with in real life compared to the people you meet in other games? Do you share the same tastes, the same fetishes? If any teenager told their parent they were off out to meet some person they met on the internet, they'd probably call the police. Yet NC players have met up for real and formed bonds and friendships that they have carried into other games, hobbies and interests for years afterwards. I started playing Neocron back in 2003. Yes, that's eight years ago. Since then, I've travelled all over the country and even abroad to visit people I've never met before in my life. Now it's 2011 and only the week before last, I spend a fantastic weekend at a once in a lifetime event in a far away city with... some random person I knew from NC years ago.

The people with the vision for this game and its depth of features really knew how to get into our heads and to make us want more. You still press that START button in F7 with eager anticipation that the tooltip in your result window will say "free slots: 5". If not this time, maybe next time. It's better than gambling, only you don't lose all your household money over it.

Load
09-05-11, 23:14
Neocron was my Youth, started aged what about 13/12 back in 2003, now im 21 still trawling through the nc forums hoping some of the old names are considering going back, starting up another -syn- and im 21 now. I will never be rid of the urge to log on and stir shit up on Trade NC and try to kill shit

Morpheus
10-05-11, 00:25
Neocron was my Youth, started aged what about 13/12 back in 2003...
You weren't that totaly missskilled HC Tank at Military Base Bunker called Poopypants on Saturn?

Load
10-05-11, 01:23
no i was if i remember rightly the mis skilled apu spy on uranus

Doc Holliday
10-05-11, 03:40
no i was if i remember rightly the mis skilled apu spy on uranus

what class did u have skill with ? ;P

Dude. me and my dearest brother have been sayin for months how we wish another nc would happen or this one would get fixed.

Im in australia now almost finished a 2 year course with a view to settling here permanently if all goes right for me. the one thing that would honestly make me think for a moment about moving back closer to europe would be an nc3.

sad but true. :) ping would be a problem from here and time difference even though i have known a fair few australian runners (Ostrich, sultana, pealz, clubsport to name 4 off the top of my head from uranus way back when) and yavimaya from the forums. However it wouldnt be the same as being able to get onlien one evening and seeing all the old faces and seeing the message flash up "Security level 1 down" and the rush of adrenaline before the OP fight about to happen.

(in my dreams its not a ninja hack :P)

Load
10-05-11, 12:28
what class did u have skill with ? ;P

All the ones i spanked your arse with, but then lets be honest doesnt take skill to do that :)

yeah lifes massively moving on for me too, graduating from uni this year looking to do a masters next year then move to Hong Kong after i graduate from that so ping might finally become a prob for me then.
i've tried game after game after game and theres still no comparable adrenaline rush to the ones i used to get in NC, and trolling the nerds on trade NC isnt the same in any other game either

Load
10-05-11, 12:30
is NC stil free by the way?

Biglines
10-05-11, 14:49
is NC stil free by the way?
yes, not very enjoyable tho if ur into pvp

William Antrim
10-05-11, 19:25
What else is there to do in nc?

Biglines
11-05-11, 00:43
What else is there to do in nc?
I've found there's quite a lot of people that played just for pve farming and tradeskilling, and hardly ever pvp'ed.

I don't understand the attraction myself, so I get why you're asking, but hearing people reminisce about "hunting warbots in I05" seems indicative.

flib
11-05-11, 06:12
They PvE for the same reason people play WoW.

Doc Holliday
11-05-11, 10:28
They PvE for the same reason people play WoW.

i never saw an nc player get a hard on over some purple gun :P

Biglines
11-05-11, 10:31
over 5slot dissies, ionics, woc3 pa's, babesuits, etc etc ;)

William Antrim
29-05-11, 15:53
People play nc to groom children?

Hell-demon
29-05-11, 17:32
Man children maybe :rolleyes: