PDA

View Full Version : Can't start the game

hatmankh
15-04-11, 15:12
When I try to run the client, nothing happens :confused:
I've opened the launcher, clicked play neocron 2 and let it download all the patches and then when I try to launch the game my mouse cursor turns into the hourglass icon for a moment and then... nothing.

I searched the forums for this bug and found nothing, so I thought it must be something wrong with my PC. I tried to run the game on my old PC and I get the exact same problem. Is it worth opening a ticket? I don't think neocron is supported anymore.

EDIT: Just thought I should mention two things, I downloaded the game today so I don't think downloading it from another site will help. I've tried running the 'client' file in the Neocron folder and that doesn't work either.

Nothing else to do so here's a video of me trying to run neocron : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N8EQnL7Tb4 :eek:

Sammson
15-04-11, 15:18
Sure it is. Make a ticket, give us as many details on here about what happens / what's your setup audio/ video wise, NC2 runs on almost anything. Well, not iPad, yet.

[K1]Luke
15-04-11, 15:18
I've just formatted my computer so I'm doing this by memory.

Open the Neocron Launcher
Click Configure (option next to play)
Click Configure Hardware/Check Hardware. whichever one has Hardware in it.
Once it's loaded it will ask you what resolution and graphics card you wish to use. Change the resolution to 'Window Mode' (right at the bottom).

Play the game once you have done this. You should now see if you get a Firewall message pop up blocking the application. My Firewall doesn't let the game finish loading if I do not click Allow or Block. Just click allow.

If this doesn't work I am unsure what to do, but keep us updated.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 15:21
Luke']I've just formatted my computer so I'm doing this by memory.

Open the Neocron Launcher
Click Configure (option next to play)
Click Configure Hardware/Check Hardware. whichever one has Hardware in it.
Once it's loaded it will ask you what resolution and graphics card you wish to use. Change the resolution to 'Window Mode' (right at the bottom).

Play the game once you have done this. You should now see if you get a Firewall message pop up blocking the application. My Firewall doesn't let the game finish loading if I do not click Allow or Block. Just click allow.

If this doesn't work I am unsure what to do, but keep us updated.

When I click configure hardware I get the same problem, cursor turns into an hourglass for a moment and then nothing happens so I can't get to the configuration screen.

I first posted about this problem in this thread http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=144476&page=2&pp=15 I had a different computer at the time so I don't understand why I'd be getting this exact same problem now on the new one.

Biglines
15-04-11, 15:22
are you running it in administrator mode?

lots of info on the vista thread (relates to win7 too, although 7 seems to run it better for some):
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140582&highlight=vista

hatmankh
15-04-11, 15:26
are you running it in administrator mode?

lots of info on the vista thread (relates to win7 too, although 7 seems to run it better for some):
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140582&highlight=vista

From this old thread http://forum.neocron.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2168763

I still can't get past the launcher

EDIT: I tried running the client directly from the Neocron2 folder and it doesn't start at all, I just hear the windows error sound but no message or anything comes up and the proccess stops a second after appearing in task manager.

works perfectly for me

not getting past the launcher sounds like a vista/7 problem, run it in administrator mode.

deja vu :lol:

I've got Windows XP and the problem isn't just with the launcher, if I run client.exe directly it doesn't start at all.

[K1]Luke
15-04-11, 15:31
Ok, seriously without the game on my computer I can't help, this is all from memory.

Try it again, but press ctrl+esc to bring up the toolbar at the bottom. Move your mouse to the bottom right of the screen (above the clock more or less) and move it around a little. If you can still see your mouse then your firewall is asking for permission.

If you can remember where the allow button is, try and click it. If not then do the following:

1) Go to *:\Program Files\Neocron and open Neocron2.ini in notepad.
2) Go down the list of text until you find some text saying WindowMode=0 (or words to that effect)
3) Change the 0 to a 1, and run the game again.

Biglines
15-04-11, 15:34
on my current machine it doesnt run either, unless I reboot... no idea why

hatmankh
15-04-11, 15:38
Luke, I can't even open the neocron client, if my firewall were to ask for permission that would happen after successfully launching the game. My problem is that the game won't even start.

Here is what neocron.ini says

// Neocron - BDoY INIFILE

PREFDRIVER = "."
PREFMODENAME = ""
PREFWINDOWSIZE = "1024x768"
PREFSOUNDDRIVER = ""
PREFSOUNDMIXER = ""

GAMMA = "1.1"
STARTUPMENU = "TRUE"
SHOWCONSOLE = "TRUE"
FASTRUN = "FALSE"
CASTSHADOWS = "FALSE"
BIGLIGHTS = "TRUE"
WEAPONVISIBLE = "TRUE"
HUDACTIVE = "FALSE"
RECORDMOVIE = "FALSE"
STARTTIME = "12"
CAMREPLAY = "FALSE"
PLAYCDTRACK = "0"
SAVEMOVIE = "FALSE"
MOVIEFPS = "15"
NETBASEIP = "83.236.174.254:7000"

LOCALPORT = "20999"

NOSPLASH = "FALSE"
NOEXTRO = "FALSE"

I can see an option to change resolution but nothing about windowmode.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 15:42
on my current machine it doesnt run either, unless I reboot... no idea why

Can you get the configure hardware button to work? When I click it nothing happens.

[K1]Luke
15-04-11, 15:44
Check all the ini files, one of them will have a graphics section in it, or may even be graphics.ini itself.

As I said my firewall don't let me fully load a new game without asking for permission, if NC isn't on my safelist my game will also freeze at the same place as yours does.

Just going from my experience, it can't hurt to try.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 15:53
I don't have a firewall and my game isn't freezing, its not even starting.

I've searched the necron folder for ini files, found a folder with a bunch of them but none of them say anything about window mode or even have a section called 'graphics', can't find a graphics.ini file either.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 16:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N8EQnL7Tb4

The Ottoman
15-04-11, 17:05
Try copying the game folder to another drive or map and start the game from there.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 19:02
I doubt that will work but I'll try anyway, copying it to drive D now
EDIT: Tried running from another drive, still the same problem.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 19:22
I've had this problem for almost half a year now on two different computers, I give up :(

Biglines if you manage to get it to run please tell me how.

Powerpunsh
15-04-11, 19:29
maybe you got any process in ur taskmanager who prevent neocron from starting. Kill every useless process and try it again.

hatmankh
15-04-11, 19:36
I don't want to mess up my PC so here's a screenshot of my task manager, tell me if you see anything that might be stopping neocron from running.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2431/taskmanagerc.png

Biglines
15-04-11, 20:46
I don't want to mess up my PC so here's a screenshot of my task manager, tell me if you see anything that might be stopping neocron from running.

closing processes at worst only makes you have to reboot (unless you have some unsaved stuff), as nobby likes to take credit for: just kill some processes one at a time to find out which causes it to stop, then reboot and only kill that process

closing these processes doesn't mess up your computer, since rebooting will restore those processes again

hatmankh
15-04-11, 20:58
I've had to re-install windows on my old computer after I ended the wrong process, besides I really doubt that a process is causing this since I've had this exact same problem on two different computers now.

Anyway Biglines have you managed to get neocron working?

eNTi
15-04-11, 21:07
have you tried the ultimate launcher? did you check for firewall problems. are you sure it's the right server ip? are there any log files? since you've got the problem on two different systems, it might be your internet connection somehow.

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=144684

hatmankh
15-04-11, 22:01
I don't have a firewall. The neocron launcher is working fine except for the configure hardware button, clicking that gets the same response as trying to start the game, nothing. I tried that ultimate launcher anyway and the game still won't start, I click play and the same thing happens. If the server ip was wrong I wouldn't of been able to patch to the current version.

As for it being my internet connection, thats impossible, a bad connection won't stop a game from running. It might stop me at the login screen but it wouldn't stop the game from even starting.

I've just remembered something, the last time I played Neocron was version 173, this problem only started after patch 174. So would it be possible to get my game to version 173 and then try running the client file to see if it starts?

There's a folder called "logs" in the Neocron 2 folder, I've checked all the logs there and found nothing of note.

Biglines
15-04-11, 22:35
nope, reboot and filecheck didn't work like it did last time. But I'm not trying really hard atm, not gonna play actively till they fix the failpatch anyway, so cba to fix it (can always play on my laptop if I want). the process thing is usually the thing that fixes this tho, but if you have found some process that actually fucks up your computer if its closed, then I don't know anything else. Xp should work pretty much all the time.

flib
15-04-11, 22:42

Well there's your problem, you got svchost gunking up your whole system! JK, don't mess with that.

Are you certain you have the Windows firewall disabled? In Windows XP, you also need to uncheck it for each individual connection in the last tab on the right of the windows firewall configuration window.
If the you can verify that it's off, does the verifying games files report no errors?
If so, uninstall and be sure that the Neocorn folder has been deleted then reinstall it.
If it still doesn't work, reinstall Windows.
If it still doesn't work, buy a new computer.

Biglines
15-04-11, 22:46
Well there's your problem, you got svchost gunking up your whole system! JK, don't mess with that.

Are you certain you have the Windows firewall disabled? In Windows XP, you also need to uncheck it for each individual connection in the last tab on the right of the windows firewall configuration window.
If the you can verify that it's off, does the verifying games files report no errors?
If so, uninstall and be sure that the Neocorn folder has been deleted then reinstall it.
If it still doesn't work, reinstall Windows.
If it still doesn't work, buy a new computer.
hehe, neocorn ;)

ye, windows xp and up have their own builtin firewall.

but tbh, svchost can be the problem, especially if you have so many of em. They're mostly useless microsoft keyboard/input processes, but it might contain something else. (afaik svchost is used to run other processes that don't have their own exe's)

hatmankh
16-04-11, 07:37
I re-installed neocron just now and tried running the client directly without patching at all and needless to say it didn't work but I noticed the logs folder got created as I tried to start the game so I checked it and found a text file called "Error" here's what it said

free memory: 2047 MB physical, 4095 MB virtual (82%)
File Check complete: 1147 files checked

My firewall was off but my connection was still checked, I think I've fixed that.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/565/firewall1.png

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6073/firewall2.png

EDIT: Also I've downloaded the setup again but this time from a different site just to rule out corrupt files. (Downloaded it from 4players.de the first time and this time from mmosite)

Morpheus
16-04-11, 07:56
[edit] delete

Biglines
16-04-11, 12:34
ye my client is a direct copy from my laptop, and still works on the laptop (to which it was copied in the same manner from my previous desktop), so for me it's not the neocron folder itself, but some other process thats interfering.

if you have adobe stuff installed, one of those apps from the creative studio always crashed when I used to start neocron on xp

hatmankh
16-04-11, 13:13
I've tried closing all processes except for system ones and it still won't work, there's really nothing else I can do short of getting another PC or installing a different OS, neither are an option.

Thanks for the help everyone but this issue really is a mystery, only a dev could sort this one out.

Biglines
16-04-11, 13:32
I've tried closing all processes except for system ones and it still won't work, there's really nothing else I can do short of getting another PC or installing a different OS, neither are an option.

Thanks for the help everyone but this issue really is a mystery, only a dev could sort this one out.
actually the system ones are also just processes (everything started as a service is shown as "system". personally I'd close them too to test (or at least google them to see if you can close them), but if you think it will crash your pc, you probably shouldn't

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 13:40
I watched your video... lol ;p

The reason for this error is not a process. You should post your logs excepting the console.log. This is an initialization issue.

hatmankh
16-04-11, 13:49
In my logs folder there's a bunch of logs called Error1, Error2, etc... Everytime I try to start the game a new one is created and this is all they say:

free memory: 2047 MB physical, 4095 MB virtual (86%)
File Check complete: 1147 files checked
They're all identical except for the percentages which are always between 80 and 90. Apart from those there's a file called console and another one called Init, which I'm guessing means initialization. Anyway this is the init log:

=========================================================
Neocron Intitialization Logfile

Current Time: 11:14:21
Current Date: 04-16-2011

WinMain: Creating window . . .

WinMain: Current server connection: 0.0.0.0:7000

Anyone know what this means? (I know that IP is wrong for server connection but that wouldn't stop the game from starting, would it?)

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 13:51
Now I need your updater.ini =]

hatmankh
16-04-11, 13:53
SERVERIP=0.0.0.0
PORT=8020
PATCHPREFIX=patches\cp
EXE=Client.exe
GAMESERVERIP=0.0.0.0
HOMEURL=http://launcher.neocron.com/
FTPSERVER=ftp.neocron.com
TESTPATCHDIR=/nc2testserver
RETAILPATCHDIR=/nc2retail
ISRETAILVERSION=1

Keep in mind this is a clean install and the game is version 158, I haven't started the game from the launcher and I haven't started the updater once because I remember the game working for me just one version ago.

I'll update to the current version then post the logs and updater.ini again.

EDIT: This issue isn't just with the neocron client, I can't get the hardware configuration to open. When I try to open it from the launcher nothing happens, just like when I try to start the game.

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 13:55
Keep in mind this is a clean install and the game is version 158, I haven't started it from the launcher once because I remember the game working for me just one version ago.

Okay, did you see the bug? :)

Paste the following content in your updater.ini... overwrite everything! Then write-protecting this file by using the explorer (Rightclick -> properties -> Read-Only) :)

SERVERIP=83.236.174.254
PORT=8020
PATCHPREFIX=patches\cp
EXE=Client.exe
GAMESERVERIP=83.236.174.254
HOMEURL=http://launcher.neocron.com/
FTPSERVER=ftp.neocron.com
TESTPATCHDIR=/nc2testserver
RETAILPATCHDIR=/nc2retail
ISRETAILVERSION=1
USELOCALPORT=0
LOCALPORT=23482

hatmankh
16-04-11, 13:59
So I just have to click properties and then check read only?
I didn't notice the bug, explain it to me please.

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 14:02
So I just have to click properties and then check read only?
Yepp!

I didn't notice the bug, explain it to me please.

The Launcher receives the gameserver ip directly from the launcher page, there is the bug. If the html stream is corrupt you'll gain the IP 0.0.0.0 wich is nonsense :D

hatmankh
16-04-11, 14:05
I still don't understand how that would stop the client from starting, I thought you could start the client even if you aren't connected to the internet.

Wouldn't you only need the IP for logging in and updating?

I did what you told me to and tried opening the client, still doesn't work. I'm patching the game right now and I'll tell you what happens when its done.

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 14:07
I still don't understand how that would stop the client from starting, I thought you could start the client even if you aren't connected to the internet.

Wouldn't you only need the IP for logging in and updating?

Yes but some NetLibraries are crashing on (illegal Endpoint) IPs like "0.0.0.0" :)

hatmankh
16-04-11, 14:14
Just finished patching, tried to start the game and it still won't start :(

I checked the logs and the only thing thats changed is the Init file.

Current Time: 12:11:46

WinMain: Current server connection: 83.236.174.254:7000

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 14:23
Okay, then try to install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2

-> vcredist_x86.exe, maybe something is broken with your VC Runtime.

Biglines
16-04-11, 15:00
error.log for me:

free memory: 4095 MB physical, 4095 MB virtual (62%)
File Check complete: 1172 files checked
@WFile not found scripts/lua/callahan.lua

the init.log for me goes through all the window stuff (and connects properly), but simply hangs after, any idea marc?

=================================================================
=================================================================

Current Time: 12:58:39

WinMain: Current server connection: 83.236.174.254:7000

WinMain: Window created!
Host: Current language: ENG
Host: Console initialized.
Init Engine . . .
Init Driver . . .
Enumerating display modes . . .
-> Valid modes found: 42
Enumerating sound and mixer modes . . .
Selecting drivers and modes . . .
-> Display: (D3D9) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (driver)
-> Display: WindowMode (mode)
-> Sound: Generic DirectSound Driver (driver)
-> Sound: Generic DirectSound Mixer (mixer)
Creating file system . . .
Setup for display driver . . .
-> Mode: 1024 x 768
Creating camera . . .
Creating sound manager . . .
Creating actor manager . . .
Creating genesis world manager . . .
Creating font . . .
Initialization completed!

Host: Creating controller . . .
Basehost: Initialize resources . . .
-> TextureManager . . . complete
-> ActorManager . . . complete
-> SoundManager . . . complete
-> TextManager . . . complete
-> Fractions . . . complete
-> ScriptManager . . . complete
-> ParticleManager . . . complete
Basehost: Resources initialized!
Host: Comleted.
Host: Creating netmanager . . .
. . . world loaded.
Creating FX-System for worlds . . .
Creating FX-System for actors . . .
Creating other FX-Systems . . .
. . . FX-Systems created.
. . . Initialization of WorldManager completed!

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 15:29
It hangs on.. the loading screen? :)

flib
16-04-11, 15:32
I recommend installing Ubuntu with Wubi. That will keep your Windows completely intact and you can safely remove it any time. Then, you can just play Neocorn from the safety and comfort or a proper os!

Biglines
16-04-11, 15:41
It hangs on.. the loading screen? :)
no, client just pops up, remains black and hangs

Marc Hoover
16-04-11, 16:42
no, client just pops up, remains black and hangs

Sounds like very fragmented RAM. Can you post your process list? (all users)

hatmankh
16-04-11, 17:20
Okay, then try to install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2

-> vcredist_x86.exe, maybe something is broken with your VC Runtime.

I'm not so sure about that, I run loads of other programs and games without issues.