PDA

View Full Version : ]OT[ Nobby goes to China : p

nobby
14-04-11, 12:59
Hey guys, it's that time of the year again... or shall we say its been two years already since Nobby went on his last travels!

I'm going to be off to the Communist land of the Chinese :p

I'll be headed to Beijing on saturday and i'm going to be spending two weeks at an intensive language school whilst going out sightseeing each day :)

If anyone has been to Beijing and can recommend places to visit, please say :p

Selket
14-04-11, 14:38
Lol im just a few hours away. 秦皇岛 (qinhuangdao) Have fun in Beijing its really a nice city.

Its getting warmer now, what means you might have to prepare yourself for some degree of Pollution. And while your there i command you to eat a Original Beijing Duck 北京烤鸭 aswell as 炸酱面 and my personal favorite 土豆丝 (you can it everywhere!)

Cigs are cheap and range between 50cent to 7 euro a Package. the 10 Yuan ones are usually pretty decent (tell the seller "(wo) yao yi bao baisha lan")

Hope you enjoy it in china ...btw you cant play NC from here...ping far too bad.

Brammers
14-04-11, 15:09
Well the Chinese F1 Grand Prix is on this weekend in Shanghai. If you can get there, and get a (Probably very expensive) ticket.

If you do go to the F!, I will be very jealous! (j/k)

Have a good time there, and tell us all about it when you get back. :cool:

Marc Hoover
14-04-11, 16:10
Don't get a Beijing Cocktail xD

Trilaac
15-04-11, 00:53
I went to Beijing in 2009. Landing was the scariest experience in my life.. cloud, cloud, cloud.. runway! runway! omg, that's not a cloud, that's smog! disembark plane.. can't.. catch breath... no..air..

no, the smog aside, it is very nice, lots of good stuff, and really hot in summer when the sky is clear(ish).

I can highly recommend the olympic village, that's is awesome.. the hotel shaped like the olympic torch is particularly impressive, and the birds nest and swimming pool building. never thought i'd say this about something made in China, but it is IMPRESSIVE. (FYI, i'm not racist, my line of work requires me to deal with complaints about items made in various countries).

flib
15-04-11, 05:34
Don't eat the longpork!

yavimaya
15-04-11, 07:24
I went to Beijing in 2009. Landing was the scariest experience in my life.. cloud, cloud, cloud.. runway! runway! omg, that's not a cloud, that's smog! disembark plane.. can't.. catch breath... no..air..

no, the smog aside, it is very nice, lots of good stuff, and really hot in summer when the sky is clear(ish).

I can highly recommend the olympic village, that's is awesome.. the hotel shaped like the olympic torch is particularly impressive, and the birds nest and swimming pool building. never thought i'd say this about something made in China, but it is IMPRESSIVE. (FYI, i'm not racist, my line of work requires me to deal with complaints about items made in various countries).

haha you dont have to be racist to know they have different work practices and it leads to inferior quality products.
I imagine the shear size of the city and amount of people would be the most overwhelmingly impressive thing.

Chenoa
15-04-11, 08:57
Have a good journey and a good time in China !!! Take care.

Chen :angel:

Trilaac
15-04-11, 10:58
oh, and take sturdy, waterproof shoes, there's a lot of sewage and waste products in the roads, gutters, pavements, etc in the poorer areas (which is everywhere but the mega rich, mega developed areas, which you won't be allowed near (except maybe the olympic village and f1 circuit if you go as Brammers suggests)).

silent000
15-04-11, 18:24
Have fun Nobby! Will be expecting you back on TS once you have your things in order. I miss you :(

nobby
18-04-11, 19:21
Heyyyy

I'm having a pretty fun time.

Flights were a bit meh travelling for 16 hours in total :p

I'm umm a bit ill, contracted a nasty throat infection as I was leaving England (perfect timing) and as a result my throat and tonsils kill like a bitch and my whole body aches and goes into cold shivery mode now and again.

(I just put the Hot tap on hottest and keep my arms under water bearing the heat, I soon get back to normal)

I'm gonna head to the hospital tomorrow and buy some antibiotics since this horrible strepthroat condition isn't gonna go away.
Hopefully the medicine won't be more than 10 quid :p

Illness aside, i've been having fun checking out the local area and eating different chinesey things at dirt cheap prices.
My meals in total dont ever cost me more than 1.20 quid with drinks so it's really a stress free holiday.

Plus the hotel I'm staying at quoted me 110 quid less than what everyone else has paid... I'll keep shtoom about that :D

Got a nice clean room with Chinese computer setup which is what i'm using now.

My main complaint so far would really be how much I wasn't anticipating the language barrier to be :p
It's insane literally ^^

Noone here speaks English, very little speak Japanese (which I have to resort to at times) and chinese is spoken so damn fast it just comes in and out and its like AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh so hard to understand :p

All in all it's a great experience.

Hopefully we'll check out the night food street, Wangfuxin I think its called where they have the scorpions and shit on sticks to eat :p

so yeah, i'm good guys and having fun :)

oh and the censorship on the net here is REALLY bad...

No facebook, youtube ... wiki lol

so don't expect any pictures yet.

i'll be on TS guys tonight before I sleep if you're about.

:)

yavimaya
20-04-11, 06:48
Have fun Nobby! Will be expecting you back on TS once you have your things in order. I miss you :(

Thats if he ever makes it back.