PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Gmail cloud dispersal

zii
28-02-11, 20:33
Oh bow to the power (hype) of cloud computing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/28/gmail_account_deletion_snafu/ :lol:

I resist the urge to shout, I told you so.

kane
28-02-11, 21:01
Skynet Strikes Again!

Brammers
01-03-11, 13:30
Oh bow to the power (hype) of cloud computing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/28/gmail_account_deletion_snafu/ :lol:

I resist the urge to shout, I told you so.

And here's what caused it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/01/gmail_deleted_accounts_bug_explained/

IMHO the hype of cloud computing has no relevance to what happened here. This problem could had happened on a single web-mail server with even worse results.

The bottom line, is you should still backup your data even using a cloud service or even if it's a single server.

Also cloud computing is more of a marketing term. Google email and also hotmail has existed on distributed multiple servers for years until someone came up with the term cloud computing.

Cadgar
01-03-11, 13:36
cloud + ipv6 = no privacy left ;)

Biglines
01-03-11, 13:53
in the olden days, we just kept our mail on paper! and threw out most anyway! so much better than these days of nifty "competuters" etc.

*spits*

young people of today!

Brammers
01-03-11, 14:25

:confused: Care to explain more, and also how ipv4 has an effect here?

Biglines
01-03-11, 15:00
it's called paranoia ;)

Brammers
01-03-11, 15:58
it's called paranoia ;)

Or not having a clue what you are talking about!

Doc Holliday
02-03-11, 12:24
nerd fight. /me grabs the popcorn

William Antrim
03-03-11, 00:30
Skynet exists. Its a computer system used by the American military. It was named after the film because they love Cameron that much.

Brammers
03-03-11, 03:54
nerd fight. /me grabs the popcorn

I've ran out of popcorn awaiting a reply! :p

Cadgar
03-03-11, 13:07
u already made ur case that i dont know what im talking about so why should i bother explaining it to u? im not in the retarded position to think anyone can win an argument over the internet. if u dont know much about ipv6 and the future plans feel free to google it. maybe u'll understand

Brammers
03-03-11, 14:44
u already made ur case that i dont know what im talking about so why should i bother explaining it to u?

That's because your post didn't properly explain anything in the first place. You are welcomed to try and change my mind. ;)

zii
03-03-11, 23:24

Pretty much the case. IP6 and your MAC address. Hope someone sells off those mothballed IP4 blocks (of which there are many) soon.

Anyway, the point is that cloud is hyped as usual. Its still the same nuts and bolts. I think its just a one-side agreement (an oxymoron if there ever was) to gain access to man+dogs data, and tell them its better for them. ;) :lol: :rolleyes: 8| O_o :eek: :confused: :( :mad: (and maybe in this smilely order)

Neo.x.phyte
11-03-11, 05:23
Actually cloud is an overused term, but not nessarily overhyped. Its a great way to explain where and how your info is stored instead of saying 'mainframe'. I work for a large data center and its a way more effient way to store some things,but not all. Someone prolly got fired for screwing with GFS(google file system) idk atleast that's how I hear they keep track of things.

Oh btwz ipv6 is amazing, the finger to anyone who thinks otherwise :D

yavimaya
11-03-11, 07:53
Pretty much the case. IP6 and your MAC address. Hope someone sells off those mothballed IP4 blocks (of which there are many) soon.

Anyway, the point is that cloud is hyped as usual. Its still the same nuts and bolts. I think its just a one-side agreement (an oxymoron if there ever was) to gain access to man+dogs data, and tell them its better for them. ;) :lol: :rolleyes: 8| O_o :eek: :confused: :( :mad: (and maybe in this smilely order)

the order should be:
;) :lol: :rolleyes: :confused: o_O 8| :eek: :( :mad:

all i know is we now get fucking microsoft ads where people say "to the cloud" in some god awful strong yankee accent and it almost makes me kill someone.
that term shits me up the wall, why cant they just cal it a mainframe or server farm?
whats with the marketing bullshit. Everything has to be marketing bullshit....

Jodo
11-03-11, 08:41
Mainframe scares non tech savvy people, they start switching off when they hear "jargon" and feel inferior thus losing interest. Cloud sounds friendlier, will draw new users in as well as re-branding it and giving it a push.

yavimaya
11-03-11, 12:06
Mainframe scares non tech savvy people, they start switching off when they hear "jargon" and feel inferior thus losing interest. Cloud sounds friendlier, will draw new users in as well as re-branding it and giving it a push.

but "cloud" needs explaining.
walk up to anyone on the street and say "a cloud of computers", etc and they'll say wtf!? (unless they already know a fair bit about computers).

Neo.x.phyte
11-03-11, 20:48
walk up to anyone on the street and say "a cloud of computers", etc and they'll say wtf!? (unless they already know a fair bit about computers).

ha ha well yeah, but unfortunately we can never explain anything to them. Like someone said above as soon as you say one small piece of technical jargon they switch off. Honestly maybe we should tell them their information is actually stored in clouds, they just might believe it :P

zii
11-03-11, 21:29
What happens when the clouds turn into a thunderstorm?

Jodo
12-03-11, 06:08

Yes it does, but while "Mainframe" causes about as much mental friction to you or I as the word "Tree" it causes other people to switch off. "Cloud" sounds friendlier and less techy so people ask about it instead of having a brain fart.
Basically, it's not a perfect world, suck it up and move on. :lol: