PDA

View Full Version : Community Project - new server on new rules

Torg
25-02-11, 14:40
This idea isnt completely out of range: Theres one more server (Venus/Neptune) somewhere in KKs outer storages, and it would require a certain amount of money to reinstall it and put appropriate rules to it. Working title: Neocron 2.3

- My first question: Would you pay money (lets say on a new reakktor-onlineshop, a nc-2.3-one-time-fee for refinancing the effort) for a new server with rules we would vote for (later, after having a list of desired changes)? and if so, how much would you pay for a 2slot account?

- Second question: what general rules do you want to find implemented?
Since we already had an experiment like this, we know it can be done by KK. unfortunately Neptune went totally wrong, because a pvp-fest wouldnt nurture a population of tradeskillers and hunters/gatherers.
i believe we need to emphasize PvM in order to have a lively and entertaining (op)-war going on. i also believe nc 2.2 got somewhat boring for everyone of us because everybody has (done and got) everything, and we should go for a fresh start.

my early suggestions for that fictional new server would be to strengthen the leveling-up-experience by making it interesting again (reworked loot-tables, re-introduce loot weapons, armor, stuff, more recycling items etc) and to flatten the top end of the arms race: reduce or remove the "rare", "tech" and "woc" bonus to weapons, so that a well built non-rare gun wouldnt be completely useless any more and player skill would get more important than having that single most important gun. double vehicle armor, tune up melee, tune down runspeed gain (flatten the curve), cut tech-part-droprates in firemobs (too easy farming), change population of dungeons/caves/storages/cellars. make all items wear-out, no more unbreakable stuff. put in a few more items.

my suggestion for an name would be "Ganymede", which is the biggest moon around, bigger than mercury and twice the weight of earths moon.

the aim of this project is to make NC interesting again, at least for a couple of months, attract old and new players and have fun.

i'm asking for your comments and ideas, and would appreciate a sticky.

L0KI
25-02-11, 15:18
- My first question: Would you pay money (lets say on a new reakktor-onlineshop, a nc-2.3-one-time-fee for refinancing the effort) for a new server with rules we would vote for (later, after having a list of desired changes)? and if so, how much would you pay for a 2slot account?

IF it was done right, and I mean done right... then I'd happily pay them £20 one time fee, and £10 a month for the 2 slot account.

Also, it would have to be an 'everyone starts from scratch' scenario.

- Second question: what general rules do you want to find implemented?
Since we already had an experiment like this, we know it can be done by KK. unfortunately Neptune went totally wrong, because a pvp-fest wouldnt nurture a population of tradeskillers and hunters/gatherers.
i believe we need to emphasize PvM in order to have a lively and entertaining (op)-war going on. i also believe nc 2.2 got somewhat boring for everyone of us because everybody has (done and got) everything, and we should go for a fresh start.

My personal views or 'wish-list'

1. Remove WoC - stick with what it was originally. The weapons were fine, and melee was viable

2. Keep factions as they are in 2.2

3. Re-implement Plaza and ViaRosso as Safe Zones, so there's more room for tradeskillers to peddle their warez.

4. DROP Mc5, and have characters start at their apartments

5. Revert the implants back to whole number values (NC 2.1?) 2.8888867375635 Pistol Combat is just annoying. The maths should be do-able in your head.

6. Do something drastic with drugs. I personally would like to see drugflash TOTALLY REMOVED, but... have every drug give a HUGE penalty to body health. That way, if you want to use that slightly out of reach weapon for your class... you can do, but it will be at the cost of body health. As a result, either people will need to kill their resists to totally over-spec health, or simply not use drugs.

7. Increase PvP belt drop to 3 items - random. Keep the safe slot.

8. Make hybrid monks viable again - ie... as powerful as a PE, but no better.

9. Put melee damage up. Make it usable.

10. Rare weapons... remove their bonuses. They are already better than their constructed counterparts due to % and TL. They don't need an extra boost on top. Obviously with WoC weapons gone.. it could get interesting!

11. Lower the runspeed by 10% or so. It was too slow before, but now it's riduclously fast.

12. Remove the hacknet requirement from OPs. I'm not dead against it, I just don't see the point right now. 3 Hackers on the surface is enough right now.

13. Close off DoY. Right now it seems to me that there's an EASY mobspawn down there which allows people to cap incredibly quickly, with very little risk.

14. Fix the cheats. All of this is pointless without that.

15. Remove the LE, totally. Anyone that kills someone > xx/10 difference should immediately lose 30-50 SL. ENCOURAGE PvP of the same level, but heavily punish those that kill the newbies.

Whilst my ideas may not be popular, I actually think this would bring people back en-masse.. not just a few here and there.

The chances of any of this being done though are entirely slim at best, as Black Prophecy is close to Open Beta, and launch. The chances of the devs having any time to set this up is close to nil. Personally, I don't think BP is for me. It seems like a space game without the freedom of space, and is a little bit too 'theme-park' for me.

I really hope this thread gets some attention and some really good ideas come to light.

Powerpunsh
25-02-11, 15:56
A fresh restart would be nice. Added to this i would remove all exploitable areas, so we would play in the outback areas like at the beginning.

Removing the LE is no good choice. There will always be griefplayers who take a shit on their neg. SL... unless we change the rules about players with negative soullight, like no gr use, no gogu use etc. Everything is restricted. That would be fine and would protect lowlvl players.

L0KI
25-02-11, 16:21
A fresh restart would be nice. Added to this i would remove all exploitable areas, so we would play in the outback areas like at the beginning.

Removing the LE is no good choice. There will always be griefplayers who take a shit on their neg. SL... unless we change the rules about players with negative soullight, like no gr use, no gogu use etc. Everything is restricted. That would be fine and would protect lowlvl players.

You're probably right about the LE. I personally removed mine (as most people did) straight away in NC1. I loved the danger of being ganked. On the most part though, I was left alone. It's unlikely now though... with boredom comes griefing.

I would say... close off Regeants, and BD HQ. Make people level how we used to... ie, properly.

Biglines
25-02-11, 16:36
I don't wanna be negative, so don't take this as negative but genuine questions:

- why fracture an already small community over more servers?
- why make it a new server instead of just fixing the game, i mean, developers would be needed anyway.
- why remove the value of good weapons? just makes the soullight system even more useless as noone would care about negative soullight because they can get their equipment fast anyway.

and one actual negative comment:
and letting the community vote on features would probably be even more catastrophic as letting KK decide. Design by committee results in bland and dysfunctional games.

L0KI
25-02-11, 17:48
I don't wanna be negative, so don't take this as negative but genuine questions:

- why fracture an already small community over more servers?
- why make it a new server instead of just fixing the game, i mean, developers would be needed anyway.
- why remove the value of good weapons? just makes the soullight system even more useless as noone would care about negative soullight because they can get their equipment fast anyway.

and one actual negative comment:
and letting the community vote on features would probably be even more catastrophic as letting KK decide. Design by committee results in bland and dysfunctional games.

I think his aim is not for SOME of the tiny community to relocate to the new server, but create a server which may (and possibly would) result in many old players returning.

The reason for a new server, in my opinion, is that the current player base have everything. So much so that the economics in game are totally screwed. When I last played, people were paying for weapons, etc in unresearched tech parts. In NC1 and early NC2, people were buying weapons for between 1-10 million. That sort of money now really is worthless. I have almost 80mill across 4 chars. I'd have more but I can't hold it...

As for removing the weapons... You're working on the assumption that everyone agrees they are good. The WoC weapons (in my opinion, of course) are in the most part totally un-fitting to the NC world, and don't resemble the weapons of NC1 at all. It's like the world MJS thought up, with CounterStrike weapons thrown in.

And finally, regarding your negative comment - I actually agree in a way. Communities do have a tendency of screwing things up, which is why we're in this situation in the first place. I think, however, that a decent ruleset and a clean slate so to speak would do wonders for the game.

I hope I have made my points without offending you this time :lol:

Faid
25-02-11, 18:44
14. Fix the cheats. All of this is pointless without that.

lol I love how this was #14 on the list loki :p

There was a huge renewed interest in the game a year or two ago when they announced their anti cheat patch, hell it's what got myself and a bunch of my clan to come back for a while, but when that utterly failed and nothing was said or done afterward the population died again. There are lots of great ideas here but as you stated in #14 It's all absolutely pointless without the anti-cheating measures implemented.

Biglines
25-02-11, 20:50
I think his aim is not for SOME of the tiny community to relocate to the new server, but create a server which may (and possibly would) result in many old players returning.

The reason for a new server, in my opinion, is that the current player base have everything. So much so that the economics in game are totally screwed. When I last played, people were paying for weapons, etc in unresearched tech parts. In NC1 and early NC2, people were buying weapons for between 1-10 million. That sort of money now really is worthless. I have almost 80mill across 4 chars. I'd have more but I can't hold it...

As for removing the weapons... You're working on the assumption that everyone agrees they are good. The WoC weapons (in my opinion, of course) are in the most part totally un-fitting to the NC world, and don't resemble the weapons of NC1 at all. It's like the world MJS thought up, with CounterStrike weapons thrown in.

And finally, regarding your negative comment - I actually agree in a way. Communities do have a tendency of screwing things up, which is why we're in this situation in the first place. I think, however, that a decent ruleset and a clean slate so to speak would do wonders for the game.

I hope I have made my points without offending you this time :lol:
The point still stands, why make a new server to get old people to come back instead of fixing the current servers to make people come back?

by removing the value of good weapons I referred to his proposal to remove/lessen the bonus of rare weapons so making constructed weapons better. Imho this is of no use. Atm you need to be completely capped to create the best rare weapons from techparts, while capped non-rares can be made with way less in construction, so the stated aim of making tradeskillers more important is not a result of that.

as to the economy being screwed, it's just the credits being saturated. Getting unressed techs is about 10-20 an hour, more if you're specced for pve, meaning that the economy has simply switched from credits to techparts, which is a perfectly viable economic system. The only people that are screwed are people that only have credits, but those people should put their sandwiches away anyway.

as to offending me, I don't think i've ever been offended by anything you've said? in general you make your points succinctly and well, I might not agree with some, but I've never felt offended by them.

-other points:
make killing low soullight players attractive beyond belt drop, for example a bounty system and not losing sl for killing an allied low-sl person.

Torg
26-02-11, 01:25
The point still stands, why make a new server to get old people to come back instead of fixing the current servers to make people come back?
Because we need heaps of new content and the promise of any achievements to pull in old and new players.

by removing the value of good weapons I referred to his proposal to remove/lessen the bonus of rare weapons so making constructed weapons better. Imho this is of no use. Atm you need to be completely capped to create the best rare weapons from techparts, while capped non-rares can be made with way less in construction, so the stated aim of making tradeskillers more important is not a result of that.

As a seasoned tradeskiller (on some of my most successful side-chars) i can tell you that making great rare-guns doesnt require a capped char, while making a great, multislotted non-rare is a pain. tuning down woc/tech/rare-dmg means more flexibility. and yes, we will need to bring in changes, as the current situation is far from perfect. in other news: change is good, and exploring is fun.

as to the economy being screwed, it's just the credits being saturated. Getting unressed techs is about 10-20 an hour, more if you're specced for pve, meaning that the economy has simply switched from credits to techparts, which is a perfectly viable economic system. The only people that are screwed are people that only have credits, but those people should put their sandwiches away anyway.

yes, lets scale back tech-parts-drop. and plug holes like furni and neofrag, of course.

-other points: make killing low soullight players attractive beyond belt drop, for example a bounty system and not losing sl for killing an allied low-sl person.and bring on penalties for low SL and low FacSymp. Like hostile guards, hostile traders not selling ammo when youre on red SL. and no more SL/fac symp gain for killing ppl, just auto-regain in like 1 point per day logged-in-time. or ridiculously low gain from missions. something like that.

hybok
26-02-11, 01:26
not a new server :\ are u mad..

the community is already split between 3 servers.. thats bad enough..

i would pay for a non cheating patch and for there to be advertising to bring back a more solid player base than what we see today.. also a hardware/software change because the game is unstable.

if anything... maybe terra should be made 5 slots.. and u could transfer your char from mars.. and shut down mars and mercury. personally.. i wouldnt mind loosing my stuff on mars to make the game better but they're players (germans) which im sure would :P

Also.. I would much rather pay a one off fee rather than bring back subscribed accounts.. having 20 of them to pay for wouldnt be fun :P

Also needs to be more ingame gm's to deal with runner issues and organise events.

I

gamefreak
26-02-11, 03:38
not going to happen :angel:

Powerpunsh
26-02-11, 15:23
edit: ops, brainafk. :D

flib
26-02-11, 16:12
I'll pay them money to start working on the game we already have right now again.

Biglines
26-02-11, 19:48
I'll pay them money to start working on the game we already have right now again.
I'd pay for a company with a good track-record to work on the game :p

Kanedax
28-02-11, 20:33
I'll pay them to nuke the servers. NC is dead.

flib
28-02-11, 23:05
Aren't you cheery?

William Antrim
01-03-11, 02:07
I think they should make this new server and call it nc1.

I like what Biglines said - tempering the fires of enthusiasm with a little bit of realism. He made some valid points.

I agree with about 95% of what Loki said. However I would remove rares completely or make them abundantly easy to get! It makes gathering tonnes more fun with more rares and brings the PVE part to life more than making it 1 drop in 13005060684 kills.

I would remove mc5 completely.

I would remove woc and double levelling speed also and encourage pvp with bonuses to killing players around your level resulting in EXTRA xp, or money at cap.

p.s i would make melee severe damage, like 1.25 times the equivalent tech level of a gun counterpart. (i would want damage based on tech level also scaled by RoF).

Ops should reset every 24 hours so noone "owns" them and they have to be rehacked from neutral with a single hacker.

I want nc1 factions back too.

I think people who start in wastelands factions should also get some form of bonuses for starting out there just because its shit.

rare guns should have a 5% dmg boost over non rare (nothing over the top but enough coupled with the swirly to make them look awesome).

I want this. Ill chuck £20 at it. I would also like to have the option if at all possible to have one of my toons transferred from current account over to new server and perhaps start a second one from scratch. I am not a massive fan of levelling but hey if everyone starts from scratch im up for it.

I want nc1 implants too. GIVE ME MY FUCKING MOTORIC 3 BACK!!! I loved that chip.

FIX THE FIRST LOVE

that is all thank you.

Torg
01-03-11, 19:15
I want nc1 factions back too.

plain question: what, to your understanding, is the difference of faction systems in NC1 and NC 2.2, and why is this important to you (other than nostalgia)?

Doc Holliday
02-03-11, 11:58
i think he means simply the different rivalries between TT and Biotech back then and the TS/BD and TG being red to lots of people. if i remember it right 2.2 changed some of the old RED factions to be Yellow ie neutral now. i think the "old" ways were better than the current although the difference is miniscule.

it has been a long time since i played so i dont recall the exact revision of factions from the red v blue that it was. there did used to be a grid showing all the factions and who they were red green and yellow but i think it might have had something to do with neocron.ems.ru or what ever that old site was called.

William Antrim
03-03-11, 00:27
Yes i want the old faction enemies back.

Biotech and Crahn being enemy, TT and Biotech being enemy along with FA. CM not liking TG or BD etc.

I preferred the factions as they were as I liked the relationships between them. Many of the corporations tolerated each other but most were not allied. This imo is how it should be, with the watchful eye of City Admin cast over everyone.

I would like to see possibly zone bonuses too for factions (like the bonuses at OPS but in the City - not combat bonuses but something to say that youre Black Dragon and you are in your own patch - cheaper drugs say?)

CA might get tradeskill bonuses in Plaza 1, DRE might get a barter buff when purchasing houses in Via Rosso for example.

I want something that is not combat related to move people out of Plaza 1 and into the other zones.

I want Plaza 2 to be made a safe zone again. Not because I want to get rid of the zoneline huggers (they will fight on the edge of any zoneline anywhere) but because I spent a large part of my NC life hanging out in P2 and I loved the seafood at Roccos.

I also want to see the boxes removed from the aggressor sewers. They should be replaced with ladders. The amount of times I have seen noobs trying to jump out of the sewers when theyre overloaded with stuff back in the day was unbelievable. The poor guys are trying to earn a living, let them climb a ladder and haul their loot to safety for another 20k credits or whatever it was.

I also want you to fix StockX so i can make money properly and not have it there to be exploited.

Also you could probably give DJ his kamikaze chip back too while youre at it. Just for the grandslam.

"I got a few more requests, not sure how many of these are gonna work.....

....Max wants you to bring back 8 tracks.... Bear has a few unpaid parking tickets, oh and none of them want to pay taxes again..... ever."

(the last part is a quote from a film i thought of just now, just to send the thread hurtling off topic).