PDA

View Full Version : [OT] More comp blues

Dribble Joy
23-02-11, 18:26
This time it's my internet connection.

Recently I have been unable to log into NC (sits at 'connecting to server'), can't get into MSN, and numerous other programs can't actually access the internet.

Firefox, Youtube, etc. all work fine.

When using one of the wireless config programs I have, it shows that it can't detect that the comp is connected to the router, let alone the web, yet I can still browse normally.

I'm going through the router settings (I can access that too), but I can't find anything that would block things.

Biglines
23-02-11, 19:06
are you behind a proxy? (work/uni) since it seems to block non-website ports

I also always recommend people to change their dns to opendns servers:

Dribble Joy
23-02-11, 19:29
Home connection. Was playing NC on it a couple of weeks ago.

On the subject of the router though, while moving through the settings it will (after a couple of mins) bring up the login prompt. Despite inputting the right details (while I had used just moments before), it doesn't recognise it and I can't continue. After a while (15 mins or so) I can reopen a window and access it again, whereby it all starts again. Using the Netgear modem/router that comes with Virgin Media.

flib
23-02-11, 22:24
Sounds like an issue my girlfriend was having. She caught some kind of infection and it set her internet explorer proxy settings, and for some reason that affected lots of other programs, including chat and firefox.

To disable proxy:
Go to Internet Options either from the control panel or from Internet Explorer.
Click the Connections tabs
Click the LAN Settings button at the bottom
Look under the Proxy server section
"Use a proxy server for your LAN" should be unchecked, if not, uncheck it and click OK

Also, do a virus scan

Biglines
24-02-11, 00:57
Sounds like an issue my girlfriend was having. She caught some kind of infection and it set her internet explorer proxy settings, and for some reason that affected lots of other programs, including chat and firefox.

To disable proxy:
Go to Internet Options either from the control panel or from Internet Explorer.
Click the Connections tabs
Click the LAN Settings button at the bottom
Look under the Proxy server section
"Use a proxy server for your LAN" should be unchecked, if not, uncheck it and click OK

Also, do a virus scan
in case you're wondering, this also applies if your using firefox, flib is right that a lot of apps use the proxy settings for internet explorer, while firefox uses its own settings (therefore being very possible to be the result of the problems you're having, as the neocron launcher also uses the internet explorer/.NET browser to get the server ip)

flib
24-02-11, 04:37
That may be true, but she had that problem in Firefox until the IE setting was disabled.
Very strange, I know, but true.

L0KI
24-02-11, 11:49
It may also be in some way related to your other problem. Genuinely, I would blitz the OS and start again if I were you.

Biglines
24-02-11, 12:05
That may be true, but she had that problem in Firefox until the IE setting was disabled.
Very strange, I know, but true.
hmm, might be confused with the proxy settings for chrome then..

flib
24-02-11, 22:36
hmm, might be confused with the proxy settings for chrome then..
how do you mean?

Biglines
25-02-11, 00:11
how do you mean?
just mine, you seem to have had proxy trouble in firefox caused by internet explorer. I used to have a browser that didnt use the internet explorer proxy, but had to be set manually. Just cant remember which one

Dribble Joy
25-02-11, 03:25
It may also be in some way related to your other problem. Genuinely, I would blitz the OS and start again if I were you.

Format/re-install or just windows? I have quite a lot of data I would like to keep....

Powerpunsh
25-02-11, 13:28
Curious stuff needs a reinstall. It could be a virus or something and due to my experiences i prefer a reinstall instead of removing them with an anti virus programm. Most i got some parts left which cant get removed.

Take any external harddrive with enough space and reinstall. Or delete ur pron. :rolleyes:

Biglines
25-02-11, 16:45
Format/re-install or just windows? I have quite a lot of data I would like to keep....
backup everything you want to keep on an external harddrive, make sure you have all the passwords for sites you have stored in ur browser (and favourites).

save email, contacts, documents

backup savegames for games you want to keep (that aren't on steam cloud ;))

make sure you have the installers for the apps you want to re-install.

maybe also presets for any applications you use

then the best is to format and reinstall; although recent windows versions have some ability to restore functionality, this doesnt remove viruses or worms that influence performance.

full format and reinstall should get rid of anything unwanted, but it takes time and there's a chance you forget to backup something important (I usually keep my harddisks and folders in places easy to backup because I generally format and reinstall once every 1-2 years)

L0KI
25-02-11, 17:54
If you're running XP - download all your drivers first!

Dribble Joy
27-02-11, 15:38
OK, it may sound daft, but where can I get the drivers from? The MS site isn't being helpful regarding downloading them as a package. I've found a couple of sites that do it but I'd rather be a little wary regarding it.

Also, I don't have an external HDD. Would it be an idea to partition the drive and put the backups there?

james_finn
27-02-11, 16:37
Dribble drivers will have to come from the manufacturer site for each component (Motherboard and Graphics card), in general the only thing I worry about is getting the internet up and running again, which is either the RJ45 LAN port drivers or the wireless card.

As for backups I would recommend drop box as a solution for your really important data (i.e. CV etc) because they give a couple of GB's space for storage (I back my thesis up to them everyday when I work on it). Then anything you want to keep that is less important a partition would work, although make sure that you have covered bases with the most important data as a re-partition comes with additional potential issues.

Biglines
27-02-11, 20:08
OK, it may sound daft, but where can I get the drivers from? The MS site isn't being helpful regarding downloading them as a package. I've found a couple of sites that do it but I'd rather be a little wary regarding it.
unless it's a laptop you generally get the drivers for each component seperately, although if it's a dated computer it could be that xp already has some basic drivers.

for graphics card: nvidia: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
or ati/amd: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Lan is usually part of the motherboard drivers, again, if you bought the pc whole, there might be cd's with it already, but it's always a good idea to go to the manufacturer's website and download them there.

Also, I don't have an external HDD. Would it be an idea to partition the drive and put the backups there?
To be honest, external drives (either harddrives or usb sticks), are not very expensive anymore, and if you have important data, it's always best to actually have backups of that data. Over the years I've had at least 3 harddrive crashes, and lots of backup cd's that started rotting, so nowadays I use:

like delphi says, dropbox for the most important (small, free dropbox is only 2 gb) data, as well as the data im currently working with, as dropbox is very easy to update.

Then I have several external harddrives which contain both the important data, and somewhat less important data.
And I store backups of past projects on usb sticks stored with other stuff like papers and other stuff.

And if you have really important data, I have some of the most important stuff stored on a harddisk at my parent's house, in case of burglary/fire.

Of course, I'm paranoid as hell, so generally just an external harddrive or usb stick is enough, depending on the size of the stuff you want to backup.

flib
27-02-11, 21:26
Get them from your computer manufacturer's site. You may already have a CD with all the drivers you need on it.

Dribble Joy
27-02-11, 21:56
PANIC.

Got an external HDD from my housemate and loaded all the bits I need after the re-install.

Stuck in the windows CD and re-booted the comp.

It can't find the regular HDD. It found the external, so I unplugged it and re-booted just in case.

Still not there.

Fairly certain that it's on the master lead, rather than sata or raid.

Rebooting into windows and it can find it fine (using the comp atm).

Any ideas?

Biglines
27-02-11, 22:54
possibly too large for ur windows cd if it's not with service pack 2/3 integrated. Search google for slipstreaming servicepack 3 onto an xp disk.

Dribble Joy
27-02-11, 23:11
Discovered that it's due to the HDD being on SATA (previously thought it was IDE). Unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive to make the driver disk.

From what I have found out I have 2 options:

1. Change the BIOS settings of the SATA controller to emulate IDE and re-install. But this leaves me without the right drivers and the HDD running in a manner unintended.

2. As you mentioned, use slipstreaming to create a copy of my XP disk with the added drivers. I can't really say I'm confident enough to do this.

Biglines
27-02-11, 23:43
Discovered that it's due to the HDD being on SATA (previously thought it was IDE). Unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive to make the driver disk.

From what I have found out I have 2 options:

1. Change the BIOS settings of the SATA controller to emulate IDE and re-install. But this leaves me without the right drivers and the HDD running in a manner unintended.

2. As you mentioned, use slipstreaming to create a copy of my XP disk with the added drivers. I can't really say I'm confident enough to do this.
slipstreaming is super easy, there's quite a few frontends for it:

there's a guide here:
http://lifehacker.com/#!386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

which uses an app to make the slipstreamed disk, just use default options if ur not sure.

yavimaya
28-02-11, 09:51
Simply put your SATA drivers on a USB stick, works just like floppy.

Dribble Joy
28-02-11, 15:41
All the walkthroughs and things have said that it won't, especially since the drivers from the manufacturers come as floppy images and you need to extract them.

Anyway, I've decided to slipstream both the drivers and SP3.

But first to the council to ask them why they want me to pay back £860 that they haven't given me (and I need to go and buy some DVD-Rs).

Biglines
28-02-11, 16:18
All the walkthroughs and things have said that it won't, especially since the drivers from the manufacturers come as floppy images and you need to extract them.

Anyway, I've decided to slipstream both the drivers and SP3.

But first to the council to ask them why they want me to pay back £860 that they haven't given me (and I need to go and buy some DVD-Rs).
unless you have very new hardware, generally you won't need special drivers slipstreamed to xp. the only change thats very important from SP2 onward was the ability for sata/large capacity harddrives. Generally xp will run fine with SP3 slipstreamed, but the drivers will improve performance, but you can install them afterwards. The only thing I'd recommend is get the network drivers on a usb stick; my desktop never needed it, but my laptop needs network drivers after a fresh xp install (network drivers kinda help downloading other drivers :D)

Dribble Joy
28-02-11, 19:36
Can I set my BIOS to run as IDE rather than SATA, re-install with the slipstreamed SP3 disk, then load the SATA drivers afterwards?

I have all the driver packs and various other gubbins on the external HDD.

flib
28-02-11, 23:04
If you have that option in your BIOS, then it should allow Windows to detect and use your harddrive.
So, yes, it should work.

Biglines
28-02-11, 23:37
Can I set my BIOS to run as IDE rather than SATA, re-install with the slipstreamed SP3 disk, then load the SATA drivers afterwards?

I have all the driver packs and various other gubbins on the external HDD.
slipstreamed sp3 should have internal sata drivers

CMaster
01-03-11, 11:37
If you're asking about AHCI mode vs IDE mode for SATA, then no, that won't work (from experience). Without AHCI mode active, Windows won't install the drivers. If you switch to it, Windows will crash on boot. If there's some other difference you're talking about - dunno, maybe.

Brammers
01-03-11, 14:37
Hmm, dunno if this is possible with the spec of you PC, but is it worth considering a upgrade to Windows 7?

Dribble Joy
01-03-11, 17:55
I seriously doubt my comp can even run Win 7.

Planned to do the install last night, but was called in for a night shift :(.

Dribble Joy
01-03-11, 21:19
OK. Created my new boot disk. Rebooted and went into the BIOS.

Which appears to have no settings for SATA, RAID, AHCI or anything that I have investigated online to change the HDD settings, unless I am missing something.

I added the SATA drivers to the external drive, but windows setup will only let me look for drivers on a floppy drive, which I don't have.

*Twitch.*

I may have to make another boot disk with the drivers on....

Biglines
01-03-11, 21:29
OK. Created my new boot disk. Rebooted and went into the BIOS.

Which appears to have no settings for SATA, RAID, AHCI or anything that I have investigated online to change the HDD settings, unless I am missing something.

I added the SATA drivers to the external drive, but windows setup will only let me look for drivers on a floppy drive, which I don't have.

*Twitch.*

I may have to make another boot disk with the drivers on....
by boot disk, do you mean slipstreamed sp3 disk? cuz that's weird, it shouldn't need extra drivers unless you have a raid system (which you probably don't have)

Dirus
01-03-11, 21:41
If you haven't wiped out your old WinXP install yet, and can still login etc. Try this..

Open up RegEdit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > InternetSettings

Check to see if there is a "ProxyEnable: key set to 0x00000001

if so right click on the key and modify the value to 0

Also if it was set to 1, then look for another key named "Proxyserver", right click and rename that to something like "OLDProxyserver"

Dribble Joy
02-03-11, 01:59
by boot disk, do you mean slipstreamed sp3 disk? cuz that's weird, it shouldn't need extra drivers unless you have a raid system (which you probably don't have)

Though the disk may have all the drivers on, they aren't loaded when the Windows disks starts the install process.

The HDD is not IDE, it's SATA and/or RAID (not sure about the specifics about it) so Windows Setup can't find it.

ProxyEnable was already set to '0'.

Biglines
02-03-11, 14:27
Though the disk may have all the drivers on, they aren't loaded when the Windows disks starts the install process.

The HDD is not IDE, it's SATA and/or RAID (not sure about the specifics about it) so Windows Setup can't find it.

ProxyEnable was already set to '0'.
I have sata disks in all my machines, and with the slipstreamed version of windows xp (with sp3) I can install just fine.

Dribble Joy
03-03-11, 12:19
Huzzah. Shiney new windows disk and a fresh clean install.

Interwebs seems to be working properly too.

*Goes off to dig NC pw out of his inbox.*

Edit:
Scratch that. The proggy shows I'm connected to the router but not the internets. Most websites I can access, but some I can't (tried to go to the THN site to get NC, but apparently it can't be found).

Router is still acting up (asking for and then not recognising the pw). Shitty virgin media branded netgear thing.

Edit again:
Reboot pooter and internet, along with previously unaccessable sites is available.
Wierdness.

Biglines
03-03-11, 12:44
Huzzah. Shiney new windows disk and a fresh clean install.

Interwebs seems to be working properly too.

*Goes off to dig NC pw out of his inbox.*

Edit:
Scratch that. The proggy shows I'm connected to the router but not the internets. Most websites I can access, but some I can't (tried to go to the THN site to get NC, but apparently it can't be found).

Router is still acting up (asking for and then not recognising the pw). Shitty virgin media branded netgear thing.
did you try the opendns settings? if yuo can access some websites and not others it sounds like a dns problem (used to have the same with my internet provider's default dns servers, they were crap)

also, see if you can download updated firmware for the router and/or factory reset the router and do the settings again.

Dribble Joy
03-03-11, 12:53
It's the router/cable modem installed by some dude. If I factory restore it, will I even be able to connect at all?

As for dns settings.... I can't find any on it.... O_o

Biglines
03-03-11, 14:18
It's the router/cable modem installed by some dude. If I factory restore it, will I even be able to connect at all?

As for dns settings.... I can't find any on it.... O_o
dns settings u can override in ur own network settings (on ur pc, in netwerk advanced tcp-ip settings. (dont have english xp so dunno the exact names))

Dirus
03-03-11, 19:42
It does sound like a DNS issue. First you can try and clear the bad info out of the cache.. (Windows will keep a cache of DNS info even if it's broken and you'll never get to the site)

Start > Run > cmd.exe
type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes.

Then see how things work..

If you're still having issues try this

go to http://www.opendns.com/ and sign up for a free account.

They should give you a list of DNS Server IP's based on your location. Take those IP's and do the following.

Virgin manual DNS settings

Then go to:
Connection settings > Network Settings > Wan celluar > Settings
On this page you will see DNS SERVER
You want to change it from 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' TO 'Use the following DNS server addresses'
For the primary DNS server put one of the IP's OpenDNS gave you
For the secondary DNS server put another one of the IPs OpenDNS gave you
Click APPLY

The exact area where your DNS Server settings are located within your modem may not match the above.. If it's not and you dig around you should be able to find it somewhere.

The reflush the DNS cache in Windows as above.

If after that things aren't better or you can't get any webpages, just go back into your router and switch it back to Obtain DNS Server Automatically.. Reflush DNS Cache in windows and we should be back at square one..

Dribble Joy
04-03-11, 01:55
And guess what DJ forgot.....

Sound drivers....

Dribble Joy
04-03-11, 11:10
Interwebs searching doesn't seem to help much, am I goign to have to open up my case and look at the sound card and/or mobo numbers.
Seems quite a few people have had issues with SoundMax stuff.

L0KI
04-03-11, 11:23
Interwebs searching doesn't seem to help much, am I goign to have to open up my case and look at the sound card and/or mobo numbers.
Seems quite a few people have had issues with SoundMax stuff.

There's a windows app that I can't remember the name of, that will tell you exactly what mobo you have. Chances are, it's on board sound.

Sorry if you have mentioned this somewhere... I TL-DR'd a lot of it

Biglines
04-03-11, 12:18
the app is cpu-z

and don't you have the cd for you motherboard anymore? should have the sound drivers on it.

L0KI
04-03-11, 12:39
the app is cpu-z

That's the one!!!

Tip of my tongue...

Dribble Joy
04-03-11, 12:42
the app is cpu-z

and don't you have the cd for you motherboard anymore? should have the sound drivers on it.

Erf....

Maybe somewhere. It was a random box from a local comp shop that as it turned out was a bit iffy. I might have the disk, no idea.

L0KI
04-03-11, 12:50
Erf....

Maybe somewhere. It was a random box from a local comp shop that as it turned out was a bit iffy. I might have the disk, no idea.

Download this:

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.57-32bits-en.zip

Run the exe and it will tell you motherboard model. Search for it in google with 'sound drivers'. If you struggle, post the Mobo make/model in here and we'll have a look.

Dribble Joy
04-03-11, 21:42
Arg.

OK, it's a 760GXK8MC (though I did find the mobo box, which has 760GXK8MC-RSH, not sure if there's any difference), socket 754.

I've found several sites with drivers for it, but all the file sizes are different.

The one from the Foxconn site is 24Mb, though there's a 3Mb version that's two years newer, could be an update but it doesn't mention.

Also doesn't help that there's no installer in the bigger DL, just a bunch of files I have no idea what to do with.

Dribble Joy
05-03-11, 02:22
OK, nevermind....

*Clicks on installer hidden amongst the files.*

Biglines
05-03-11, 11:37
hehe, is it working properly now?

Dribble Joy
05-03-11, 14:24
Yeah all good at the moment.