PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Earthrise. Yes, I went there.

L0KI
11-02-11, 15:33
I hate to be the one to do this, but I feel utterly obliged to do so.

First of all, the game is full of bugs. It's buggier than early cron right now, but if you can see past it, this really is one GEM of a game in the making. I say in the making, as it is literally a beta that claimed to be semi-ready for release. They released it half finished, which is an apparent norm in indy P2P MMO games these days.

I have fallen absolutely in love with this game, and I'm even beginning to think I have finally found my NC replacement after all these years of looking.
The faction system, the skill system, the travel system, open world PvP, (semi) full loot... it's all brilliant.

I am not the only NC player that's popped up in Earthrise, either. So far, I've talked to/noticed the following guys on global chat:

Phunqe
Praetorian
Synergy (not sure who that is, but he is joining my clan, and I'm guessing he's from Synergy XR)
Garfield (from AD - also in my clan)
Ash Lipwig

There are many more, but most of them are using different names, so I don't recognise them. Any of you guys playing it?

Praetorian and myself had an amazing PvP fight with a load of French guys the other night, and we both said how it reminded us of early NC CRP battles. If you can get through the tutorial, and get to grips with it (it's not a theme park, pick up and play MMO), then I guarantee that you will not be dissapointed.

Buggy, laggy, but utterly brilliant.
My new MMO. Sorry KK, but BP is just a little too instanced for my tastes.

Biglines
11-02-11, 17:56
but it's just button bashing isn't it? no egoshooter anymore, autoaim and wow like shooting?

L0KI
11-02-11, 17:58
No, it's manual aim - fpsish.

Closest aiming system to Neocron - ie... the difficulty is not getting one shot in, but keeping locked on.

Combat not quite as fast-paced as NC yet, but Praetorian will vouch for an epic battle we had, where we dropped a lot of players with skill, rather than our gear/stats.

In many ways it reminds me, and others of Neocron, only the world is a little more Anarchy-online/Mass effect looking than Neocron.

It's futuristic post-apoc, not cyberpunk.

Faid
11-02-11, 19:56
Some of our clan were in the beta and absolutely hated the game, it was just in such horrible shape. Then they went and released the game without being anywhere close to finished and they want to charge you $50 for it.

This article here on mmorpg.com http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/331/feature/4957/Earthrise-First-Impressions.html shedds some good light on the game itself, not the actual impression but the actual player comments to it at the bottom.

Personally, I'm going to wait and see what happens with it in the next few months before I invest, let things settle a bit. I wish they had a free trial but unfortunately they do not.

Biglines
11-02-11, 22:05
sounds better than what I'd seen on youtube then (looked incredibly empty and non-egoshooter)

flib
12-02-11, 16:04
Without a trial, I'm not touching it. I refuse to invest fifty fucking dollars on a game that I've heard is terribly buggy and questionably fun without getting a chance to determine whether I like it for myself.

dodgefahrer
12-02-11, 16:46
Yeah flib same goes for me.

There wasnt even an open beta to check the game out and what ive heard so far its still terrible bugged and a lot features arent even implemented or working yet.

I wonder how they can release such a uncompleted game yet which isnt even worth to call it reached beta-status.

Maybe im gonna check it out in a year when they had a bit more time to work on it.

Biglines
12-02-11, 17:17
I once had very high hopes for fallen earth. Then I played the closed beta-open beta. The game was ok, but buggy, laggy and not finished. Then they went ahead and released it, there's was a giant uproar from the beta testers that the game was not ready. Most of the beta testers never subscribed to the game. I hear it's still limping along, so releasing before it's ready seems to be able to work out.

I once had very high hopes for earthrise too, but from what I've seen and heard, it's simply not ready. Maybe in some time, but the fact they actually released it means the devs don't care that much... will prolly end up like nc, ignored by devs, just a hardcore group of addicts that will remain clinging to what it could have become.

CMaster
12-02-11, 18:33
I went back to FE a while ago, during some free period (they've since given me a free licences and 14 days of game time and presumably have to any other former beta-testers). It's improved noticeably but still had problems (as well as some key design flaws) and had a community on the forums so disillusioned they make this place seem cheery. I gather that with some of the more recent changes have applied a band-aid to the design flaws (AP system, making the game a little less like a full time job) and are still trying to improve. It's very much limping though and they seem to think the path to the money they need is to squeeze existing customers harder - so it's $15/month plus an increasing amount of useful ingame items for high prices.

L0KI
14-02-11, 13:58
I played Fallen Earth - it seriously lacked some features that I couldn't live without, mainly open PvP and full loot. This sort of game attracts a bit of a die hard following. Darkfall is suprisingly popular... I recently played the trial and it was very busy. Didn't like the fantasy/magical setting though.

Earthrise seems to be everything Fallen Earth wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, it's no Neocron, but it's the most fun I have had in an MMO since Neocron.

The crafting system is brilliant for those that like that sort of thing. Parts, which are dropped by mobs (several types - mechanical, organic, synthetic, etc), are recycled into components, and weapons/armour, etc are then made out of these parts. Crafting is done there and then, like Neocron, and not over several hours of AFK/Offline like in Fallen Earth.

Overall, even now, as buggy and laggy as it may be, I'm loving it. From what I can tell, all of the old Cron guys are loving it too. It's definitely too early to judge its future, but at least it hasn't made the same horrible levelling mistakes Fallen Earth made. In Earthrise, you could literally 'grind' to max tier armour and weapon in a day or 3 if you were that way inclined; then rely totally on your manual aiming skills to beat someone that's unlocked every subskill going.

Garfield
14-02-11, 15:27
never thought i would say that someday but yeah ER is a great NC replacement and quite funny, hell id rather die and loose my items due bugs then because of sandwiches like in NC. well KK fix it and iam back. untill that day u will find me in earthrise.

well i had hope in BP but its just to instanced and the PvP fucked up by seeker retards.

btw NC vets united join Scoundrels! lets gank the point and click kiddies

Prom_STar
17-02-11, 00:10
In certain ways earthrise looks promising, especially FPS and full loot PvP. But honestly the biggest problem for me is the actual world. Only two factions with a neutral category thrown in as well? Doesn't help they are, to the letter, the same old pro-city anti-city nonsense rehashed.

Not to mention, $50 with no free trial is just stupid.

And of course, as always, fix NC and I'm back in a heartbeat.

L0KI
17-02-11, 10:27
In certain ways earthrise looks promising, especially FPS and full loot PvP. But honestly the biggest problem for me is the actual world. Only two factions with a neutral category thrown in as well? Doesn't help they are, to the letter, the same old pro-city anti-city nonsense rehashed.

This is in no way a clone of NC; factions or anything else. The way the factions work is pretty great in ER. You have a Slide bar, which shows your 'position'. If you kill Noir players, your conti sympathy goes up, and vice versa. Being -20 or +20 from bang centre makes you neutral and means you can travel anywhere.

For the record though... although there are only 2 main factions.. there are almost sub factions in the form of criminal factions for those with permanent criminal karma... There are two clans right now that are totally against everyone but other criminal clans. A lot of player interaction is required around this system though.

The world itself is stunning by the way. Unfortunately, due to shoddy coding, you need to have the game installed on an SSD and be running a very decent graphics card. Luckily, with this setup, I get over 100 FPS. Many people suffer much, much lower FPS though due to the game loading textures from the HDD instead of the GFX memory.

Not to mention, $50 with no free trial is just stupid.

Expensive? Yes. Stupid? No.

Remember, they're an independent developer, with very little money. Whilst I totally disagree with their decision to release the game with so many bugs, I understand it. Release the game, bring in 4-5000 people at $50 each, and that tiny little company all of a sudden have $250,000 to get that game improved.

As I say, I don't like the way they have done it, but it's far from stupid on their part.

And of course, as always, fix NC and I'm back in a heartbeat.

Well, yeah... there is that. That's been the case for many hundreds of people for over 3 years now though. Waiting, and waiting, and waiting on "the" patch to finally fix what they have broken. I am of course one of those hundreds of people. This game is still THE best game I have ever played.

Biglines
17-02-11, 10:58
indy titles are usually not that expensive. And you say it's not stupid, but it's exactly the reason why so many mmo's have failed to even last their first year in the past few years. (hellgate:London, tabula rasa, etc.). And I'd never buy a subscription game for 50 euro if I didn't have a free trial... ESPECIALLY from an independent studio (indy means absolutely no guarantee that they'll manage to keep the game up)

L0KI
17-02-11, 12:51
indy titles are usually not that expensive. And you say it's not stupid, but it's exactly the reason why so many mmo's have failed to even last their first year in the past few years. (hellgate:London, tabula rasa, etc.). And I'd never buy a subscription game for 50 euro if I didn't have a free trial... ESPECIALLY from an independent studio (indy means absolutely no guarantee that they'll manage to keep the game up)

Indy titles are usually not that expensive? Well, the servers that host it are. They have already announced that they are migrating the servers, so again, not a stupid move on their part.

The reason Hellgate: London failed, was that it was utter shit. Did you ever play it? I can't believe they released it in that state.

Tabula Rasa had huge potential, and I actually bought it.. then realised that it totally lacked any kind of PvP, and I quit, with a hell of a lot of others. Yes it was buggy on release, but that wasn't the sole reason it failed.

It's not 50 euros by the way. A lot of people are complaining about the cost, but actually bothering to shop around resulted in me getting it for £27 from D2D. Some have been even smarter, and order the boxed edition for £22.

Hardly a fortune!

Biglines
17-02-11, 13:27
oh ye, that sounds better, 22 ;)

but the point I was making was that with an independent developer, with such bad reviews and bad reputation, I wasn't going to spend 50 euro on a game that I can't try before. The only games I buy without a trial or demo are games from companies I respect immensely (Unknown Worlds, NS2 will be the best rts/fps of this year), or which have the financial backing or reputation to make good on their promises (blizzard, I hate wow for being just another ultima clone, but it's one hell of a game, quality wise).

So yes, I think it's stupid not to give trials, because I think with a trial, a lot more people would try the game. And releasing a buggy game is never a good idea, instead they could have called it an open beta for pre-orders ;)

L0KI
17-02-11, 13:54
oh ye, that sounds better, 22 ;)

but the point I was making was that with an independent developer, with such bad reviews and bad reputation, I wasn't going to spend 50 euro on a game that I can't try before. The only games I buy without a trial or demo are games from companies I respect immensely (Unknown Worlds, NS2 will be the best rts/fps of this year), or which have the financial backing or reputation to make good on their promises (blizzard, I hate wow for being just another ultima clone, but it's one hell of a game, quality wise).

So yes, I think it's stupid not to give trials, because I think with a trial, a lot more people would try the game. And releasing a buggy game is never a good idea, instead they could have called it an open beta for pre-orders ;)

Now I have to agree with you here. Generally, I'm the same; I like to try before I buy. On this occasion though, I took the risk. Personally, I am really glad that I did, but not everyone will be.

One thing I will say regarding the reviews (especially on MMORPG), people are reviewing the game in its current laggy, buggy state... and if people actually reviewed the gameplay and implementation of features, it thoroughly deserves a 9.

I know of a LOT of players that have been campaigning to get it down to 1/10 on MMORPG.com until Masthead fix it.

I posted this here, as in my experience, ex-NC players are all enjoying it massively.

Imagine a highly populated Neocron (like the old days), where every time you're out levelling, you're paranoid that a player is (and probably will) come from behind and attack you. It adds a huge element of danger and excitement for me personally, and encourages travelling in a group.

flib
17-02-11, 19:27
It's not 50 euros by the way. A lot of people are complaining about the cost, but actually bothering to shop around resulted in me getting it for £27 from D2D. Some have been even smarter, and order the boxed edition for £22.

Hardly a fortune!
That's great, but not everybody lives in England. It still costs $50 and €50 for the rest of us.
Even converting £27 to USD is about $43, so that's not much better and I haven't seen this mythical boxed edition anywhere.
Also, even if I could find it, I STILL wouldn't shell out for it, because I am not buying a game that I can't try first. If it was worth the money, they would have a free trial so people can try it. Because it doesn't, that tells me that the developers don't think it is either.

Garfield
17-02-11, 19:42
and wich game has a free trial at the start? or is bug-free, "finished" or even fluently playable..
anyway less neocracks, less xploiter :cool:

MrTrip
18-02-11, 09:29
Time to derail this thread................

Did you know the Fallout MMO is using the same engine?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Online_FAQ#What_engine_will_the_game_use.3F

*creams*

Lets hope they do it right eh? If the world doesn't end in 2012 we can at least play the Fallout MMO

L0KI
18-02-11, 10:20
That's great, but not everybody lives in England. It still costs $50 and €50 for the rest of us.
Even converting £27 to USD is about $43, so that's not much better and I haven't seen this mythical boxed edition anywhere.
Also, even if I could find it, I STILL wouldn't shell out for it, because I am not buying a game that I can't try first. If it was worth the money, they would have a free trial so people can try it. Because it doesn't, that tells me that the developers don't think it is either.

Firstly, cheers for the attitude; much appreciated.

I'm not trying to sell the game to you - I wanted to know if anyone else was playing. BUT... as you're so sarcastic, here's a link to the mythical boxed edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iceberg-Interactive-Earthrise-PC-DVD/dp/B004HYH8YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298017037&sr=8-1

On pre-order it was £22.99 ($38?)... now it's at £27.99.

@ MrTrip: No, I didn't know that. I'm sure that if they allow open PvP in Fallout MMO, with this engine, that game will be a winner.

The engine itself is superb, but Masthead's implementation of it as of right now is shit.

Kanedax
18-02-11, 19:50
I was in beta, never got better than 16 fps. I lol'd logged off and never touched it again.

That was just in the starter area too.

I'd also make the point that NC was a GEM of a game in the making as well, looked what happened with that, it got worse.

-FN-
18-02-11, 22:40
I was also in the Beta. There were no patches/changes/update from August 2010 until December 2010. The Beta forums went quiet. What the f*ck kind of beta test is that? The Alpha/Beta tests for Fallen Earth and Global Agenda were great. Patch Notes, Testers report for 1-2 weeks, repeat. Dev communication, actual progress... it was good stuff.

When we finally got an update in December, it wasn't much better, but we tested and reported. Then the January update came out with some more improvements, but when they announced they were launching in February, the entirety of the beta testers were like 8| 8| 8| o_O o_O Are. You. F*cking. Serious? It was/is soooooooo far from a releasable state! They might've had an "ok" launch in 6 months, but what I'm seeing in reviews and on their forums (which are only paid users posting btw), is just yet another MMO launch nightmare.

Yay for mediocrity being the new standard!

flib
19-02-11, 21:23
Firstly, cheers for the attitude; much appreciated.

I'm not trying to sell the game to you - I wanted to know if anyone else was playing. BUT... as you're so sarcastic, here's a link to the mythical boxed edition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iceberg-Interactive-Earthrise-PC-DVD/dp/B004HYH8YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298017037&sr=8-1

On pre-order it was £22.99 ($38?)... now it's at £27.99.

@ MrTrip: No, I didn't know that. I'm sure that if they allow open PvP in Fallout MMO, with this engine, that game will be a winner.

The engine itself is superb, but Masthead's implementation of it as of right now is shit.
I apologize for coming off as abrasive, but I was just telling what I feel about the game.
Carry on.

William Antrim
20-02-11, 22:39
If there is open world pvp in fall out im there dude! sign me up.

Biglines
20-02-11, 22:49
fallout mmo I'd try even without pvp, they have a good history of at least making the story and quests interesting.

Koshinn
21-02-11, 05:36
I'd play a Fallout MMO.

I've been playing Earthrise... and while it seems to have potential, it lacks any sort of polish whatsoever. Makes me not want to log in to the game and play it.

I mean I've played Age of Conan (yes... I know) and leveled a char to cap, then quit, then come back and leveled another character to cap. That was more enjoyable than Earthrise so far, and if you know me, you'd know that I HATE GRINDING... and AoC is entirely a grind.

I feel like I'd rather reinstall NC2.2 and run around plaza1 with my crappy PE than open Earthrise.

L0KI
21-02-11, 10:25
I have to be honest; Right now I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The last few days have been even worse... zones lagging for 20 seconds, etc.

Lots of people have quit already.

There's supposed to be a patch today, and the devs have given us an additional month of free play time. I'm going to stick with it until the free time is up, and if there aren't any significantly noticeable improvements in that time, I'm gone.

William Antrim
21-02-11, 16:55
I have to be honest; Right now I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The last few days have been even worse... zones lagging for 20 seconds, etc.

Lots of people have quit already.

There's supposed to be a patch today, and the devs have given us an additional month of free play time. I'm going to stick with it until the free time is up, and if there aren't any significantly noticeable improvements in that time, I'm gone.

lets go play nc again then. Ill buy a new pc.

mdares
21-02-11, 21:13
I too played the beta and pre-ordered the game as it was the closest thing to neocrack out there that's NOT neocrack...

Problem is that since launch, I have NOT been able to get my pre-order keys working... Submitted support emails and forum posts but NOTHING... > 2 weeks now...

So yes I am re-downloading neocrack again...

L0KI
03-03-11, 13:26
I too played the beta and pre-ordered the game as it was the closest thing to neocrack out there that's NOT neocrack...

Problem is that since launch, I have NOT been able to get my pre-order keys working... Submitted support emails and forum posts but NOTHING... > 2 weeks now...

So yes I am re-downloading neocrack again...

Did you get this sorted?

Also... They have made a LOT of server improvements recently, which have gone a long way to improving PvP and PvE.

8 days until the big patch, apparently!

William Antrim
04-03-11, 00:26
You know im really thinking i might try this game.

Buggy and laggy..... hm seen that before!

mdares
07-03-11, 22:15
Did you get this sorted?

Also... They have made a LOT of server improvements recently, which have gone a long way to improving PvP and PvE.

8 days until the big patch, apparently!

Actually just did. Downloading now. Will give it a run with the new patch and hopefully it can satisfy my Neocrack addiction...

gamefreak
08-03-11, 02:05
Is there something like a trial?

flib
08-03-11, 06:43
No, there specifically isn't one. :(

MrTrip
08-03-11, 09:22
No, there specifically isn't one. :(

[ edited ]

flib
08-03-11, 16:15
[ edited ]

L0KI
10-03-11, 04:03
To be honest, as much as I think it's a good game, it's dying faster than Tabula Rasa.

There seem to be no more than 50 people online at any time... there are probably more, but its becoming more and more of a ghost town every day.

Saddening. Everyone's gone to a game to Xsyon apparently... so I may need to look into that.

Biglines
11-03-11, 23:57
To be honest, as much as I think it's a good game, it's dying faster than Tabula Rasa.

There seem to be no more than 50 people online at any time... there are probably more, but its becoming more and more of a ghost town every day.

Saddening. Everyone's gone to a game to Xsyon apparently... so I may need to look into that.
too bad really. after neocron I hoped it would be a good replacement (Global Agenda is fun, but not even close to a replacement for nc). I was holding off till it got a few patches in, but if it's dieing it'll prolly never take off.

Faid
12-03-11, 01:42
Ye Ive been kickin around Global Agenda waiting to see where Earth Rise is goin, but it looks like it's super fail.

phunqe
15-07-11, 19:23
They patched the mega patch the other day and it's a huge improvement.

We are having a blast and there's a good amount of activity. There are still glitches as usual, but the performance is much better.
Also, some people are destined to have problems it seems (I have honestly no idea how some even manage :p), but most that I know don't have any major issues.

Check forums for guilds recruiting.

http://www.thegreenmachine.eu

Praetorian
12-08-11, 15:30
I too played the beta... No wait, i didnt :D

Jokes aside, i just found this thread and thought i'd give a little input.

Ive been playing Earthrise since its release and ive stuck with it. We are finally seeing the game start to shine.

Territorial Warfare (over bases) was released awhile back and we managed to have a couple great fights that brought me straight back to my best Neocron OP fight memories. Best PvP i've had in years. :)

The population is slowly increasing and there is some quality drama between us and some... lesser... clans. ;)

All in all its slowly turning into a worthy game. Its now super cheap as well being only 14$/€ (http://www.play-earthrise.com/anonymous/store) and there is of course the trial. So if you have tried it before when it was basically unplayable you should give it another chance, im sure you will be pleasently surprised. If you have no idea about this game, give the TRIAL (http://www.play-earthrise.com/trial) a shot :)

Oh and we are of course always recruiting neocron vets :cool:

Biglines
12-08-11, 16:30
whats monthly price?

phunqe
12-08-11, 17:45
whats monthly price?
Subscription:

1 month $14 (12 Euro)
3 months $30 (25 Euro)
6 months $50 (46 Euro)

phunqe
12-08-11, 17:52
Its now super cheap as well being only 14$/€ (http://www.play-earthrise.com/anonymous/store)

I believe that is $14/€12 by the way :)

L0KI
12-08-11, 18:00
I too played the beta... No wait, i didnt :D

Jokes aside, i just found this thread and thought i'd give a little input.

Ive been playing Earthrise since its release and ive stuck with it. We are finally seeing the game start to shine.

Territorial Warfare (over bases) was released awhile back and we managed to have a couple great fights that brought me straight back to my best Neocron OP fight memories. Best PvP i've had in years. :)

The population is slowly increasing and there is some quality drama between us and some... lesser... clans. ;)

All in all its slowly turning into a worthy game. Its now super cheap as well being only 14$/€ (http://www.play-earthrise.com/anonymous/store) and there is of course the trial. So if you have tried it before when it was basically unplayable you should give it another chance, im sure you will be pleasently surprised. If you have no idea about this game, give the TRIAL (http://www.play-earthrise.com/trial) a shot :)

Oh and we are of course always recruiting neocron vets :cool:

In all seriousness; I was literally just about to post over on the ER forums to ask you how it's doing now.

Please be honest!

How many people are playing now?

and how many new-mid level players do you see knocking about?

The last time I logged in, I really, really enjoyed the game, but it was just so damn dead. There were like 5 people on global chat, nobody in the clan online, and I didn't see another player in 30 mins of running around Sal Vitas!

PLEAAASE tell me it's picked up; I really do love Earthrise. It's the closest game to Neocron in terms of fun that I have ever found.

Praetorian
13-08-11, 14:32
In all seriousness; I was literally just about to post over on the ER forums to ask you how it's doing now.

Please be honest!

How many people are playing now?

and how many new-mid level players do you see knocking about?

Its really hard to judge, but perhaps 100 active?

The New Dawn for example, who pick up new players, had over 20 people active within 24 hours.

There are plenty of new-mid levels around these days. The other day RED (our main enemy) had 5 people standing in Arboretum crafting and another 5 standing in Sal Vitas crafting.

All guilds are growing at this stage, not diminishing. There are even a few new ones popping up now and then :)

The last time I logged in, I really, really enjoyed the game, but it was just so damn dead. There were like 5 people on global chat, nobody in the clan online, and I didn't see another player in 30 mins of running around Sal Vitas!

PLEAAASE tell me it's picked up; I really do love Earthrise. It's the closest game to Neocron in terms of fun that I have ever found.

Just because people arent vocal on global chat doesnt mean noones playing, trust me. RED who is mainly russian have alot of players that never speak there, same goes for the German guild A Better Tomorrow. And if you run around Sal Vitas i guarantee you will see at least 1 person and probably way more. The crafting terminals/bank usually holds around 3-5.

My honest oppinion is that Earthrise is picking up slowly but surely. The developers are again shooting themselves in the foot with another patch delay, but its getting there. The population is growing, guilds are growing and alot are now ready for endgame PvP (Tier 9/10 gear) so once bases becomes worthwile to fight over (with next patch - right now there are a few "exploits" ruining the fun) its going to be awesome :)

Oh did i mention that right now you can be a PPU? With 2 devices and the nano (and moving around :p ) you are basically impossible to kill by 1-2 other persons (unless they get a stun off at the right moment).

phunqe
13-08-11, 16:03
Oh did i mention that right now you can be a PPU? With 2 devices and the nano (and moving around :p ) you are basically impossible to kill by 1-2 other persons (unless they get a stun off at the right moment).

Now you are talking in terms people here indeed understand. Come play everyone! :lol:

phunqe
13-08-11, 16:06
Here is a video we recorded: http://www.hostile.dk/files/er/TW.mp4

Some YouTube material:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qalt_w3wSnE&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VxY...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHBSE7orNI

Kamuix99
13-08-11, 16:51
I came back from Fallen Earth to Neocron, for I had enough of their lies and that the community told them a thousand times about the most imminent problems - which then got ignored the 1001 time. While the Graphics are better then Neocron along with a wider variety of Tradeskills, the game is lacking in terms of combat dynamics, housing, PVP objectives, vehicles, weapon balance, Factions, etc. etc.

Taking a look at Earhrise, it looks like a cross between Tabula Rasa and EVE Online. The guys move around like and 80yo rheumateos gramps that they put into an exosuit. Firing animations are all the same - in one word, boring. Thinking about this turtle race invites grief gankers (which had been reported several times), I don't see any reason why one should bother playing it. As soon as Planetside 2 comes around, ER is done for!

Seriously, Neocron graphics are old, community is small and there is no constant GM support. Still though it clearly dominates Fallen Earth and even more Earthrise in terms of combat dynamics. It features mutlipassenger vehicles and housing plus weapon balance.

In theory, an graphic overpatch which make it Neocron 2.5 or whatever would knock most of the current MMORPGs of their feet. No game offers the same dynamics, no game offers similar atmosphere

phunqe
13-08-11, 17:31
We all want NC3 basically, but his won't happen (at least not for a long time). Planetside 2? Yeah, it does look appealing, but is it really meaningful to continously waiting for something that might or might not be what we are looking for?

It's now what, 7 years since I played NC and now finally there is something in the right genre and with good potential which can eventually become something that fills the void.

At a certain point you have to stop waiting for what seems to be "just beyond the next bend".

Kamuix99
13-08-11, 18:25
I have heard of "potential" dozens and dozens and dozens of times. Potential is the illusoric excuse for a project people do that finally turns out bad. If it would be good, successfull or fitting to what you expected, then people didn't had to talk about potential.

It's like "Hey, yeah it totally sucks and is lame and what else, but surely it will be great in the future, realy!". In no case ever these empty phrases have become true. When game companies messed up untill that point and couldn't get their work together, why they suddenly should turn 360° out of nothing and make everything right?

An engine in example has a certain potential to do certain works. If you put it in a chassis along with wheels, or tracks or whichever else suspension, you have a product that you use for traveling. Then your product is finished and depending how well your design is, it will be sold.

A game is a finished product and depending on how well they designed it in making, it will launch with more or less success. The people who buy it, will decide whether it's successfull or not. If the game gets popular, way nice. However if the game has a bad launch and Player numbers are decreasing, it will get bad reputation and it shows the designers messed up. A sinking ship doesn't have potential to drive around the oceans in 2 years or whatever, a sinking ship will be a potential hotel for fishes soon.

Praetorian
13-08-11, 21:44
All i can say is we just had another awesome base fight that lasted well over 20 minutes before it was secured. I wish my system could handle Fraps :(

Our enemies dropped 3-4 entire sets of armor/weapons/devices during the fight, most of it being end tiers which was donated straight to new guys.

As for activity, i just ran to the starter town and saw 6 new guys there. The game has potential, the population is growing (when was the last time you could say that about neocron) and the end game PvP is finally getting there.

If i look back, what i missed the most from NC was the outpost fights or small group fights (CRP and to some extent PP but fuck the zoneline shit) and Earthrise has just that.

If you tried playing the game, you would find out that even if you dont move around like a speedhacking neocron runner, you will have a hard time aiming and hitting them nevertheless - this game requires just as much skill as Neocron ever did. Besides, hugeass (tank) armors arent supposed to be quick, just like they arent in Neocron. :)

Anyway, free trial is there, if you need advice or help just ask for TGM in the /y (yell) channel or /w (whisper) me ingame. Im called Praetorian there too :)

EDIT: Nothing will ever beat neocron, it was 10 years ahead of its time. We will see vehicles in Earthrise soon though (its soon to hit the test server) and who knows, maybe they will introduce other of the fine things we loved about neocron like appartments and such.

Kamuix99
13-08-11, 23:45
Well I can say about Neocron, population seems to be growing again. On weekends I've seen around 8% already. Before it was 0-2%? I see several newcomers in Neocron, same as former vets returning from games as Fallen Earth etc.

Earthrise combat almost resembles to EVE Online and sorry to say so, but I have seen better body movement animations before. Looking at Tabula Rasa (which graphics look very similar) movement was still more dynamic and fluid alsong with softaim combat - even in heavy armor.

For me it makes a difference both in dynamics and immersion whether you see your hands wielding a gun with blazing muzzle and cartridges ejecting, bullets marking their way to your enemy and he/she trying to dodge behind cover or seeing some Mr. Roboto in Mario style that fires of some yellow and red lines, which always look exactly the same, onto a target facerolling numberpad for additional damage. The only real thread to Neocron as to now will come with Planetside 2 - which is an MMOFPS without tradeskills though.

phunqe
13-08-11, 23:51

Ok let me clarify. By your definition, I would have said the game had potential when it launched back in February (since it had a lot problems back then). However, we still sticked with it. Present day, it does not suck and the population is increasing. I was trying to use the word potential by its dictionary definition, since it has come a long way, it's now enjoyable and the roadmap looks promising.
Given these premises (on an individual basis obviously, everyone doesn't share the same opinions) I don't see why one would dismissed it.

phunqe
13-08-11, 23:58
Earthrise combat almost resembles to EVE Online and sorry to say so, but I have seen better body movement animations before.
I personally put gameplay (i.e. immersion, game dynamics, social etc) before polygons. With this said, if NC had a bigger population and they patched what was supposed to be patched, chances are that we would have ended up back in NC.
Not trying to trivialise your opinion, just stating that I don't care about body animations as much ;)
Planetside will no doubtedly be a feast for the eyes, but I sincerely doubt it will offer a genuine persistent gameplay experience (unless you are looking for a multiplayer fps shooter of course).

Garfield
14-08-11, 00:05
its a trap. dont listen to any TGM....

phunqe
14-08-11, 00:12
its a trap. dont listen to any TGM....
But... But... But...

Ashley003
12-09-11, 03:04
Ah, Earthrise, I got this around release time, when it was literally unplayable, so I ditched it for a month or so, reinstalled when it was fixed and it was very boring when I finally played it. With no vehicles I had to walk a long way to do a quest, the combat was not too bad but it wasn't the best, the clan system was good though and the graphics were pretty good. I'll probably give it another chance sometime in the future but I was somewhat disappointed.

kane
12-09-11, 03:46
Earthrise looks like something enjoyable for someone who has been bored without a MMORPG for ages..

One question. How is crafting or what is crafting like?

Ashley003
12-09-11, 04:42
Earthrise looks like something enjoyable for someone who has been bored without a MMORPG for ages..

One question. How is crafting or what is crafting like?

Never tried the crafting system myself but this might help: http://forum.play-earthrise.com/index.php?/topic/130-guide-the-earthrise-crafting-system/

The game certainly has potential but it needs more fixing (still a bit buggy) and new content (vehicles!) to be good.

kane
12-09-11, 07:08
Would you consider it a good time for someone to pickup and play? I mean sounds like when I went on IRC it was like yo man fuck off this game will probably not even be here in 3 months. Actually was almost that I was told that check back in 3 months to see if its still their.

I was actually thinking of playing Neocron again.... One person can hijack an OP right? LOL

CoreInsanity
12-09-11, 07:49
I personally put gameplay (i.e. immersion, game dynamics, social etc) before polygons. With this said, if NC had a bigger population and they patched what was supposed to be patched, chances are that we would have ended up back in NC.
Not trying to trivialise your opinion, just stating that I don't care about body animations as much ;)
Planetside will no doubtedly be a feast for the eyes, but I sincerely doubt it will offer a genuine persistent gameplay experience (unless you are looking for a multiplayer fps shooter of course).

It's like I said in another post. I don't care about graphics, but graphics help advertise and sell a game. People see a pretty picture on the side of a webpage and it catches their eye, especially if it's a game and they are a gamer. Neocron would need good reports on popular gaming review websites that point out the graphics might not be great but the game play and features top anything else out.

However, before any of that can happen NC needs to get it's crap together and fix cheating and a large majority of the bugs to even start bringing people in. PVE needs to be rebalanced, I can't comment on PVP I only jump on to PVE every now and then. I used to PVP but I haven't in years, so my opinion on it's balance isn't really valid. From there they need to start a new game, from scratch. If they can reuse art assets, again I don't really care about graphics. But a modern MMO needs to be flexible, you need to be able to expand it's code easily and develop it quickly. Neocron can do neither of these due in part to the fact that they had to get two engines to work together. Also, the game doesn't appear to have been coded with flexibility in mind; it appears to be very rigid and breaks when you try and bend it (Add stuff to it).

Short of that I don't think Neocron will get a lot of people (Couple hundred, sure. Nothing like larger MMOs, though. Though, I don't know that they even have the ability to support more than a few hundred (In hardware, software or staff).)

phunqe
12-09-11, 12:48
I don't know if we even had more than a couple of hundred online players on Pluto for example, but a max of let's say 400 is more than enough with the current world size and gameplay. A goal that I think is far from impossible given a few things are fixed.

Ashley003
12-09-11, 12:53
Would you consider it a good time for someone to pickup and play? I mean sounds like when I went on IRC it was like yo man fuck off this game will probably not even be here in 3 months. Actually was almost that I was told that check back in 3 months to see if its still their.

I was actually thinking of playing Neocron again.... One person can hijack an OP right? LOL

Well checking their website the game hasn't been updated since July so they might be working on an update, or have just ditched it. When I played it (about a month or two ago) there were a fair few new players, but once you venture away from the starting spawn it gets a bit abandoned. I would try it as there's a trial and its only £10 but until it gets updated I can't recommend it. Up to you though. I'd also return to Neocron instead tbh, as soon as I had finished trying to like Earthrise I went straight back to Neocron, and 'Cron has a cheaper subscription, though less players and hasn't been updated in even longer, I found the playerbase to be a bit better than in Earthrise.

phunqe
12-09-11, 12:57

There's exploit wars going on now basically, since there is stuff that really needs to be fixed. My biggest gripe at the moment is that they simply seem to lack the ability to hotfix things. If the size of the development team is indeed what they claim, there is something seriously wrong. Certain things should have been hotfixed within days, no discussion.
The trend so far has been fix one thing, break two others (or introduce new things that are broken). We have tried to convey that we don't care about new content right now, if the current would be working properly we would be kept busy for quite some time.
So far no real response has been given to this concern.

eNTi
12-09-11, 23:04
this game is utter crap. bugs aside, i've never been so bored by quests. the surroundings are... well they are ok but you need hefty hardware to get some fps from that game. the ai is... nonexistent. it's 3rd person. stupid weapons. stupid everything. i couldn't stand playing it longer than an hour before i wiped my disk clean of this pile of horse crap.

kane
12-09-11, 23:09
this game is utter crap. bugs aside, i've never been so bored by quests. the surroundings are... well they are ok but you need hefty hardware to get some fps from that game. the ai is... nonexistent. it's 3rd person. stupid weapons. stupid everything. i couldn't stand playing it longer than an hour before i wiped my disk clean of this pile of horse crap.
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

This why Neocron has so little players. Everyone judges it before actually playing the game.

Thanks for being an example.

Ashley003
13-09-11, 00:05
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

This why Neocron has so little players. Everyone judges it before actually playing the game.

Thanks for being an example.

I think he's talking about Earthrise and quite frankly He ain't far off summing up Earthrise.

Doc Holliday
13-09-11, 02:04
lol. looks like we have the latest contender for idiot of the forum.

Ashley003
13-09-11, 03:13
lol. looks like we have the latest contender for idiot of the forum.

Me or eNTI?

Doc Holliday
13-09-11, 10:08
Me or eNTI?

neither. :)

Jodo
13-09-11, 16:30
Me or eNTI?

I think he's talking about Kane's hasty reply.

Considering the thread is about Earthrise that's what I assumed eNTi was talking about.
Sadly, it did also sound a bit like NC. Certainly a PoV that some people have who just didn't manage to fall in love with the atmos, skill tree, and all the other things that make the game so amazing.

eNTi
13-09-11, 21:14
ofc i was referring to earthrise. wtf, this thread is about earthrise, no? talking with you guys about how buggy nc was... what's the point? as if anybody could have missed that.

i loved nc1. that's why i'm still hanging here waiting for nc3 to finally hit fucking alpha! i do hope kk learned it's lessons from going nc2 rather than fixing the game to be at a playable state.

Ashley003
16-09-11, 18:55
I just read that in the next patch of Earthrise they are adding vehicles and improving the chat, aswell as adding more quests. There might be life left for Earthrise. :P

Chuck Norris
16-09-11, 20:01

sum'd it up real well there actually, made me want to puke. Like staring at the neon white non-translucent neocron HUD ><

Artists are not always the best graphic designers!