PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Computer dying

Dribble Joy
06-02-11, 20:57
For the last few days my comp has been acting rather oddly.

After a while, it simply freezes up. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

The effect is somewhat like it's running out of memory. Programs slow down and it grinds to a halt. The mouse still works though.

I've run a defrag and a virus check in Safe Mode, but it's still happening.

A restart and everything's fine again for about 30 mins, then it freezes again.

Hardware problem? It's as if it can't flush the RAM and locks up when there's no more memory available.

zii
06-02-11, 22:47
Its a bit vague.

If RAM is suspected then you might run memtest for 24 hours and see what it reports. You could reinstall, or use a live CD, and see if you can reproduce similar conditions ; Remember to copy the install Live CD into the RAM.

CMaster
07-02-11, 00:37
Open up case, remove any dust that might be blocking fans.

Download a memory tester and run that (although that's more likely to result in blue screens)

Reseat the memory (pop out and in again)

Use task manager to watch if any processes are hoovering up memory or processor power.

Brammers
07-02-11, 04:23
Give us a few spec's and the OS.

It does almost sound like a overheating issue. Most CPU's can handle overheating problems better, the older CPU's don't so well.

However I recently had issues with lock ups when my main HD wasn't well. Check your event logs, and look for any signs of your hard disk starting to fail.

Bozz-Von Mel
07-02-11, 20:26
IF all else fails buy a new one.

gypsiMoth
07-02-11, 20:53
Dear Mr. Dribble
Is your bus/cache um srry Rom flush,.....
Specs available ?
o_O

Biglines
07-02-11, 20:57
when u can immediately restart, its usually not overheating, but when u reboot, u could check your bios for the cpu temperature.

sisandra has a good testing suite, can check for most problems.

LiL T
13-02-11, 21:32
Backup everything erase the hardrive reinstall windows >.> ?

Biglines
14-02-11, 00:50
Backup everything erase the hardrive reinstall windows >.> ?
this doesn't help against any hardware related problems

L0KI
14-02-11, 10:05
this doesn't help against any hardware related problems

Who says it's definitely a hardware problem???

It sounds 50/50 to me!

No blue screens?

Sounds exactly like Windows is ready for a clean re-install. Plus, that's a totally free first step to take, before splashing out on new hardware :)

Biglines
14-02-11, 14:15
actually, backing up and reinstalling when hardware is glitchy means you can get data corruption in your backups (specially if it's ram or hdd controller glitching).

so like before, I'd run the sisandra hardware tests first before deciding to reinstall. Of course if there are no hardware problems, reinstalling is the best way to get rid of any problems, but my guess is you actually have some data you would like to preserve.

(And yes, those problems he described happened to my old laptop right before they had to replace the motherboard because of a broken hdd controller which was introducing very very small errors in the things being loaded and then written)

L0KI
15-02-11, 11:20
I'm just saying that at this stage of diagnosis, it's too early to say it's a specific hardware problem.

My first question would have been:

What OS are you running?

Followed by....

When was your last clean install?

Yes, the symptoms could also easily point to hardware, but they could also just as easily point to software.

Genji
15-02-11, 13:47
herpies

Biglines
15-02-11, 14:46
Yes, the symptoms could also easily point to hardware, but they could also just as easily point to software.
oh i totally agree that it can be software problems, its just that in a situation where it is possible that its a hardware problem, its better to find out first because it can lead to data corruption of important files, while still keeping open the solution to most software problems, a clean wipe and re-install

L0KI
15-02-11, 17:19
herpies

Nice.

Dribble Joy
15-02-11, 20:41
Bizarrely, since not long after my last reply, it hasn't freezed up at all.

L0KI
16-02-11, 12:02
Bizarrely, since not long after my last reply, it hasn't freezed up at all.

Well, I lol'd.

flib
16-02-11, 16:55
It may have stopped happening for now, but that doesn't mean it's gone.
I would still recommend running some diagnostic tools and backing up your data, starting with the most important stuff.

Dribble Joy
17-02-11, 15:04
And about two hours after that post it died again and twice today.

AMD Sempron Proc. 3k (1800 Ghz)
768Mb Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700VE

Windows XP

Last install: When I got it a few years ago.

flib
17-02-11, 19:25
Have you tried any of the things recommended in this thread? If so, please let us know of the results.

Here's what I would suggest trying:
Memtest - http://www.memtest.org/
Ubuntu Live CD - http://www.ubuntu.com/

Run Memtest to check for errors in your RAM. The Ubuntu Live CD also has Memtest on it, so you can kill two birds with one CD.

Boot up the Ubuntu Live CD (this won't install anything or do anything with your files) and see if anything happens if after using that for a while. (browse the internet and stuff for a while or something)

yavimaya
18-02-11, 07:45
oh i totally agree that it can be software problems, its just that in a situation where it is possible that its a hardware problem, its better to find out first because it can lead to data corruption of important files, while still keeping open the solution to most software problems, a clean wipe and re-install

I wouldnt worry too much about data corruption, ive got archive from years ago that have never been through such hardware or software problems that have corrupted themselves..... things happen whatever you do.

Biglines
19-02-11, 00:39
I wouldnt worry too much about data corruption, ive got archive from years ago that have never been through such hardware or software problems that have corrupted themselves..... things happen whatever you do.
lol, the fact that data corruption occurs naturally doesn't mean you can try to at least minimize it :P (also creating hashes and repair parts is a good idea if u have really important data)

Dribble Joy
20-02-11, 19:49
Opened up the case today, it had been ceasing up a lot. Cleared out all the fluff and dust. The case wasn't even warm and none of the fans were being hampered, so I don't think it was over-heating, but the flow should be better now.

My house-mate randomly had a memtest CD, so I ran a check; No problems.

An hour later and it ceases up, so I have no idea what's wrong.

Biglines
20-02-11, 22:30
from a mate who doesnt have a forum account:

xxxx says (20:34):
tell him to run process monitor on his computer, and check the log file after he has crashed..
xxxx says (20:35):
made by sysinternals, Microsoft
xxxx says (20:35):
and free aswell

apparently an app that helps diagnose problems

so, process monitor, made by sysinternals, Microsoft, which is free.. ;)

Dribble Joy
21-02-11, 03:48
OK, not crashed yet while logging operations, but I have noticed quite a few unsuccessful ones.

Explorer.exe returns a large number <invalid name> on the path and Invalid Handle on the result.

Explorer.exe and firefox are also showing Name Not Found when they operate RegQueryValue on the path HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ocdeq\Weyxquazn and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ocdeq\Ykzeqoocw

Nearly all processes are showing Buffer Overflow on a lot of operations.

Also, wscntfy.exe (Windows Security Center Notify Application) counts for around a quarter of all operations, if not more.

L0KI
21-02-11, 10:21
OK, not crashed yet while logging operations, but I have noticed quite a few unsuccessful ones.

Explorer.exe returns a large number <invalid name> on the path and Invalid Handle on the result.

Explorer.exe and firefox are also showing Name Not Found when they operate RegQueryValue on the path HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ocdeq\Weyxquazn and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Ocdeq\Ykzeqoocw

Nearly all processes are showing Buffer Overflow on a lot of operations.

Also, wscntfy.exe (Windows Security Center Notify Application) counts for around a quarter of all operations, if not more.

Personally, I'd just reinstall Windows!

flib
21-02-11, 18:15
That's what I would do in this situation too, after verifying that the system works normally using a Live CD.