PDA

View Full Version : Gamigo buy a bit of Reakktor

Brammers
27-01-11, 13:26
This got posted over the BP forums - http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9571

Originally Posted by Official press release
Hamburg, January 27, 2011 – gamigo, one of the leading publishers of free-to-play online computer games in Europe and North America, is increasing its stake in the space action MMOG "Black Prophecy". Today gamigo announced that they have acquired all trademarks and copyrights associated with "Black Prophecy" as well as a 19.9% stake in the developer studio Reakktor Media GmbH from AAA Capital Game Production and Sales GmbH & Co. Fonds Nr. 2 KG. The remaining shares to Reakktor Media GmbH are held by its CEO, Kirk Lenke.

Patrick Streppel, Executive Board Member at gamigo, said this: "Investing in "Black Prophecy" and Reakktor Media GmbH is a forward-looking step for gamigo. "Black Prophecy" is the biggest project our company has worked on so far and is also an example of the high quality of games produced in Germany, completely unique in its market segment."

Rainer Markussen, Executive Board Member at gamigo, said this: "With the completion of closed beta testing and the award for "Best of gamescom (free to play)" last year, I'm really looking forward to seeing "Black Prophecy" go live in the very near future. With that step, gamigo will be cementing its position as one of the leading publishers and producers of premium online games that are marketed and licensed around the globe."

"Working even more closely together will give us more opportunity to trade know-how and will allow us to drive expansions of "Black Prophecy" and new high-quality games forward together," said Kirk Lenke, CEO of Reakktor Media.

Interesting that Gamigo now owns 19.9% (Why 19.9?) of Reakktor now.

CMaster
27-01-11, 14:06
Interesting to see that Kirk owns (the majority of) KK - I'd always assumed that AAA Capital owned the company outright.

Brammers
27-01-11, 14:40
Yeap. :) Will be interesting to see if the investment in KK is used in any way to fund resources to work on Neocron.

Drachenpaladin
27-01-11, 18:53
Will be interesting to see if the investment in KK is used in any way to fund resources to work on Neocron.

And if so if they also gain rights on NC or if it remains completely in the possession of KK...

dodgefahrer
27-01-11, 20:51
Everything KK is developing from now gets shared with Gamigo.
And since NC will be a complete new developed game it goes partial to Gamigo too.
Ill hope this will be positive to KK and to NC3. But lets see =)

flib
27-01-11, 22:24
Do you really know that for sure?

Biglines
27-01-11, 22:37
Everything KK is developing from now gets shared with Gamigo.
And since NC will be a complete new developed game it goes partial to Gamigo too.
Ill hope this will be positive to KK and to NC3. But lets see =)
lol, this is funny. if I own stock in apple, do I get my own ipad?

the only thing 20% gets them is some say on the board of investors, which can be overruled by kirk, and they can prolly sue if KK is being negligent in handling the money (I'll refrain from making the obvious remarks here ;))

But it doesnt meant gamigo automatically owns rights to KK games. It does however mean that Gamigo wants further investment in KK, so it is good news in the sense that it will be a continued relationship.

dodgefahrer
28-01-11, 10:59
Seems u guys dont know much about the german laws xD.

Reakktor Media is a capital company. So if u own a stake of such a company means ur part of the company. This resumes that u own rights on everything of that company too.
But im sure it will lead too far to explain the german laws here (beside my english is too bad to explain it propper^^).

Anyways Biglines...no if u own stocks in Apple u wont get ur own iPad automatic it just means u own a lil bit of the rights on it (beside im not even sure about this since Apple is locatet in the US the american law counts and i have no fking clue about it :p)

Biglines
28-01-11, 11:45
Seems u guys dont know much about the german laws xD.

Reakktor Media is a capital company. So if u own a stake of such a company means ur part of the company. This resumes that u own rights on everything of that company too.
But im sure it will lead too far to explain the german laws here (beside my english is too bad to explain it propper^^).

Anyways Biglines...no if u own stocks in Apple u wont get ur own iPad automatic it just means u own a lil bit of the rights on it (beside im not even sure about this since Apple is locatet in the US the american law counts and i have no fking clue about it :p)
maybe something is getting lost in translation, what do you mean by having 19% ownership, and what does this entitle gamigo to?

[K1]Luke
28-01-11, 15:13
I'm not entirely sure but don't you need to have 80% of shareholders to agree to make special resolutions? I might be wrong, but if that's true then the 19.9% just means that Kirk can make sole special resolutions without Gamigo interfering.

Anyway care to verify that for me? I'm not a business man.

dodgefahrer
28-01-11, 15:14
I mean the ownership guarants u atleast the law to take part in decisions etc...

A capital company is different from a natural person...there is even a special law for such companies ("GmbH-Gesetz")

[K1]Luke
28-01-11, 15:15
Gamigo have a say in what KK does, but ultimately it's down to Kirk since he has the majority share.

Edit/ Also, I'm thinking that maybe Kirk has an outstanding loan set against the company for 30%, that would kind of make sense for the 19.9% since Kirk would still own 50.1% (majority shareholder).

dodgefahrer
28-01-11, 15:41
Luke']I'm not entirely sure but don't you need to have 80% of shareholders to agree to make special resolutions? I might be wrong, but if that's true then the 19.9% just means that Kirk can make sole special resolutions without Gamigo interfering.

Nope Luke there is a supervisor and maybe a supervisory board which make the decisions.
Holding part of the stock dont means u are automaticly supervisor ^^

Atm Kirk Lenke is the CEO (aka supervisor w/e the english word is) and i dont see any supervisory board so prolly hes the one taking the decisions atm.

Brammers
28-01-11, 16:30
Nope Luke there is a supervisor and maybe a supervisory board which make the decisions.
Holding part of the stock dont means u are automaticly supervisor ^^

Atm Kirk Lenke is the CEO (aka supervisor w/e the english word is) and i dont see any supervisory board so prolly hes the one taking the decisions atm.

Managing Director may be the right English term. And keep the posts coming, my knowledge of German company laws is not that much, so keep the posts coming!

I did ask over on the BP forums whether the BP Development (http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9571) was going to be moved from KK to Gamigo. I didn't get a straight yes or no answer (http://blackprophecy.gamigo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100334&postcount=11). I got "gamigo is a games publisher, Reakktor a games developer." which reads as a no.

What that means is KK will have to work on BP and NC2/3 at the same time, which we all know from past experience doesn't happen, as for the last 3 years they have worked on BP 98% exclusively, and nearly all the resources have been put into developing BP.

The question remains, how is the investment going to effect development of Neocron 2 or Neocron 3.

Dribble Joy
28-01-11, 16:33
German laws are different.

Another odd example is a case where a group of film-makers wanted to make a film based in the Warhammer 40k universe. However, if they were to release it, they would (by German law) be part owners of GW's IP. Oddly enough, GW shot it down.

yavimaya
29-01-11, 02:40
Luke']I'm not entirely sure but don't you need to have 80% of shareholders to agree to make special resolutions? I might be wrong, but if that's true then the 19.9% just means that Kirk can make sole special resolutions without Gamigo interfering.

it would be something like that, i remember a couple months ago here in Aus, James packer bought 20% or under of some company, if he had wanted more he would have had to go for a full take-over the news said.

William Antrim
29-01-11, 06:30
Maybe its the same here then. They purchased as much of the share as possible without breaking any laws about mergers or buy outs etc.

Possibly we could get an official comment?

devilstriker
29-01-11, 14:58
ih ih ih ih ih ih ih... NC3 will be Free2Play ... for WoC u have to pay ... most stuff wont be tradeble.... ih ih ih micropayment for good stuff...

dodgefahrer
31-01-11, 20:17
Nah they could have buy more but Kirk might not selling =).
Its all about money and there offer might been not high enaugh^^.
Beside the german law is realy complicated in the strucure itself since there are different laws and you need to check which law fits from the most special law to the generell (sry my study of law is about 15 years ago xD)

Im going to explain this 2morrow when i have a lil bit time to read the "GmbH Gesetz" to get further informations.

@Brammers: Yeah thers always a difference between a game developer (like KK) and the publisher (like Gamigo).
Thats why the development of BP dont goes to Gamigo at all since they are a publisher company.
The important part between the publisher and the developer always been the pressure by the puplisher since they wanna make money as fast as possible when the development company wanna make the best game they can.

Yeti
01-02-11, 04:01
I imagine once BP goes live Kirk will shift a lot of development power towards what he has said about NC2/3

Neallys
02-02-11, 19:17
We should ask Kirk to explain his shares with Gamigo in this very thread.
With that kind of knowledge we could be, or pretend to be..

GROWN-UPS! :lol:

CMaster
02-02-11, 22:24
The reasons Gamigo have bought 19.9% of KK is simple - that is how much AAA Game Capital owned. Why they had that much in the first place is harder to guess - it could be part of the original deal when AAA chipped in to fund BP, or it could be related to part of the rescue package. The fact that Kirk owns most of KK however is interesting - suggests that KK was brought out of insolvency by effectively a management buyout.

What happens from here is quite dependent on what deal Gamigo and KK have with regards to BP. Now that Gamigo own all the rights to Black Prophecy name etc, they can take it wherever they want. But how committed are Reakktor to Black Prophecy? Do they receive a percentage of all cash shop income? Do they deliver Black Prophecy as a finished product which Gamigo then hand over a lump sum for? Are KK being employed as contractors by the week for the time they spend on BP?
If the first or second, KK are both reliant on the success of BP and financially motivated to keep doing things to maintain said success. If either of the latter two options, then KK could (depending on finances) largely move away from Black Prophecy after it is launched - although Gamigo might want to pay them to come and make an expansion.

Also, remember that KK are a privately held company - they were previously entirely owned by 10Tacle, and are now owned by Kirk, with Gamigo having a small stake. These are not shares that can be bought or sold on the open market, nor are they subject to all the rules of a publicly traded company. It is possible that German law is different, but in general with privately owned companies, the powers and influence are determined by whatever the partnership agreement is, not the way you might anticipate if this were say, GlaxoSmithKline.

gypsiMoth
07-02-11, 01:48
As far as i can help in the American way of Captolism here...
51% owner whiner say you do that... Yes Sir any under its we may
20% ... 19% as i have observed not actually ever made any but a working stiff kinda Girl way observation factor insert here or option to eiter wait .. split
Dividends semi quarterly IRS nightmares or bottom line yes sir may i help you in the futer .... so on to OIl Fields.. ATT or giant wiffs or bubbloes into glass an wiped the dreams or weell it waz worth a shot in teh dark and lost me shirt....
Peers

dodgefahrer
07-02-11, 09:56
As far as i can help in the American way of Captolism here...
51% owner whiner say you do that... Yes Sir any under its we may
20% ... 19% as i have observed not actually ever made any but a working stiff kinda Girl way observation factor insert here or option to eiter wait .. split
Dividends semi quarterly IRS nightmares or bottom line yes sir may i help you in the futer .... so on to OIl Fields.. ATT or giant wiffs or bubbloes into glass an wiped the dreams or weell it waz worth a shot in teh dark and lost me shirt....
Peers

This only counts for stock based companies.
But KK is a capital based company thats why it is quiet different.

Sry not time so far to investigate further in it.

gypsiMoth
07-02-11, 11:43
Thank you
Was thinking,,,
I do not understand.. the conversion from IPO piece of a stock dividend=
to the point of actually being/able to help out the most awesome
Rediculously
Fascinating
My first Graphic' Internet Game?

My German,
Irish, part Scottish.....+
100%
American 50%.... Blackfoot Native American.25 Cherokee .25
White 50%
Utterly ...> Neocron

gypsiMoth
07-02-11, 12:50
As far as 20% Capitol under the even idea factor......
To be able to move facsination to ,
Making a bottom line w/out being rushed by the eager $$$
I s as far < being a stable... funcitioning w/out working a beauty
Is non- past
the only way to make ideas function into making $$$
is classic' + trail...trial[ then{If'''} and when} & ###
the functionality moves past Murphy to a wok
Work of Beauty...Need R+P=T yes Reaserch|Reasearch_Testing.
Investing in American English Means not wat not WAtt
Perhaps Given the Beauty of Neocron factoring in Further DEvelopment/
Would hold off
On Rush so much to the point of Profit And> Further up than Black *
Phrophet or Stratosphereic$$$$
Further
Really, Workable cool to a Plain T^Tmm Mark
Wuld leed meh tu ^^^ say Idunno

gypsiMoth
07-02-11, 20:50
Or/ what we all really hope for is to
see NC#3 :eek:

flib
08-02-11, 03:27
Someone needs to lay off the caffeine. = |

yavimaya
10-02-11, 04:18
As far as 20% Capitol under the even idea factor......
To be able to move facsination to ,
Making a bottom line w/out being rushed by the eager $$$
I s as far < being a stable... funcitioning w/out working a beauty
Is non- past
the only way to make ideas function into making $$$
is classic' + trail...trial[ then{If'''} and when} & ###
the functionality moves past Murphy to a wok
Work of Beauty...Need R+P=T yes Reaserch|Reasearch_Testing.
Investing in American English Means not wat not WAtt
Perhaps Given the Beauty of Neocron factoring in Further DEvelopment/
Would hold off
On Rush so much to the point of Profit And> Further up than Black *
Phrophet or Stratosphereic$$$$
Further
Really, Workable cool to a Plain T^Tmm Mark
Wuld leed meh tu ^^^ say Idunno

I dont get it, most of those words are english or some sembilance of, but i dont understand a single sentence from any of his posts...

did you write gibberish in another language, then put it through google translate?

Biglines
10-02-11, 16:09
I dont get it, most of those words are english or some sembilance of, but i dont understand a single sentence from any of his posts...

did you write gibberish in another language, then put it through google translate?
nah, he's been spouting that in every single post he does, probably amusement, tbh, it sounds bout the same level as most of my posts so who cares, either ignore or be amused :D