PDA

View Full Version : Three Reasons Creators Should Never Read Their Forums

flib
06-01-11, 16:22
Saw this on Slashdot and thought of you all!
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-reasons-creators-should-never.html

Biglines
06-01-11, 18:48
hmm, the difference there is, there's an actual layer between the forums and the creators, that actually works to communicate worthwhile stuff, here there is simply NO communication whatsoever ;)

I totally agree that devs shouldn't get involved with forum discussions, but there should always be communication.

yavimaya
07-01-11, 14:18
hmm, the difference there is, there's an actual layer between the forums and the creators, that actually works to communicate worthwhile stuff, here there is simply NO communication whatsoever ;)

I totally agree that devs shouldn't get involved with forum discussions, but there should always be communication.

Nidhogg was always a good communicator.
What I think people tend to forget is the moderators are here to moderate and post important updates, answering questions is secondary as most of what people say is utter shit.

Honestly, people have suggested putting ninjas and shit in NC, im glad they didnt listen to us, i just wish they had have made "NC2" a simple port of NC1 to the crytek engine.

flib
07-01-11, 16:48
You think that's bad? I've seen people suggest that they make NC less focused on PVP!

Nidhogg
08-01-11, 19:44
Hmmm, ninjas you say?

Doc Holliday
09-01-11, 23:38

this :)

http://apbreloaded.blogspot.com

a good example of comms. im still intrigued by this game a whole lot more than a lot of games i have played. it could be a nice stop gap for a while.

yavimaya
10-01-11, 03:13
this :)

http://apbreloaded.blogspot.com

a good example of comms. im still intrigued by this game a whole lot more than a lot of games i have played. it could be a nice stop gap for a while.

Looking at the first few posts on that site, they are still in alpha.
I would like to see how well they communicate in a few years time when they have 300 people all suggesting opposite ideas to each other.

People expect too much communication out of the Dev teams, its thier game, we have the right to suggest what we want, but we dont have the right to expect a reply or for our ideas to be implemented.

Neocrons problems have never stemmed from bad communication, the problems have always been a bad engine and horrible publishers.

Seriously! NC3 better be made with cryengine 3! Reakktor shouldnt try to make/modify thier own engine.

Biglines
10-01-11, 11:21
I would like to see how well they communicate in a few years time when they have 300 people all suggesting opposite ideas to each other.

People expect too much communication out of the Dev teams, its thier game, we have the right to suggest what we want, but we dont have the right to expect a reply or for our ideas to be implemented.

Neocrons problems have never stemmed from bad communication, the problems have always been a bad engine and horrible publishers.

Seriously! NC3 better be made with cryengine 3! Reakktor shouldnt try to make/modify thier own engine.
so promising more than a year ago to update the game in less than 3 months, then waiting 6 months without so much as a single message, then without any announcement introduce a patch, which doesn't work at all, then without so much as an explanation the patches are retracted. Then 6 months wait till people start complaining on the BP forums so we get distracted with the exact same announcement as the year before (nc3 was announced november 2009, not a few weeks ago), and a small concept art, but absolutely no info on when we will get a very very very badly needed anti-cheat patch, content patch, or subscription continuation.

ye... no problem there with communication....

and engine wise, gamebryo is their engine for BP, why wud they switch to an engine not optimised for mmo's with which they have no experience? please stick to gamebryo KK

Doc Holliday
10-01-11, 12:49

not exactly yav. the game APB was released and was shut down a few months ago as the company went into insolvency because it couldnt afford to run it. they spent millions of $ developing it and you can find the story and all the saga of APB on the web if your so keen.

The company whos blog i linked is the new owner. they bought out the game from its original owner and are redeveloping it with some pretty radical changes intended. it will take a while however.

the point i tried to refer to is the openess at which the blog poster writes. its a clear example of relaying information for the good of the community

I have never said that any company should pander to its forums and i dont think for the slightest minute KK should do that here. More info like the recent post from Kirk though would be rather nice. however if there is no news there is no news.

yavimaya
11-01-11, 13:47
so promising more than a year ago to update the game in less than 3 months, then waiting 6 months without so much as a single message, then without any announcement introduce a patch, which doesn't work at all, then without so much as an explanation the patches are retracted. Then 6 months wait till people start complaining on the BP forums so we get distracted with the exact same announcement as the year before (nc3 was announced november 2009, not a few weeks ago), and a small concept art, but absolutely no info on when we will get a very very very badly needed anti-cheat patch, content patch, or subscription continuation.

Well, i wouldnt call it bad communication, if anything promising things and not delivering is a lie.
As far as Neocron 3 being announced a year ago and no progress made, etc. We are lucky they even give us an idea of what they want to do in the future, They dont have too, most companies dont.
If Neocron 3 never comes to pass, people will critisize them for not delivering, KK can't get a break no matter what they do/dont do.

The other problem is people seem to forget (im sure i remember it, not going to look for the posts) that KK have basically said a couple years ago, when BP started to be developed seriously, that they were pretty much dropping support for neocron, servers would remain up but dont expect patches at a decent rate, Ingame GM support, etc.

Hopefully the gamebryo engine isnt buggy, from my limited CB experience it isnt bad, but not the best.

Also, there are already Korean companies making MMORPG's with Cryengine 3, they look fabulous, except for the asian style D&D world that they all are.

KK and others may hate me for saying this, But they really need to keep thier ideas team, and hand ALL of thier programming to someone good - like crytek :P
(can you tell i like crytek?)
They have used/ modified a buggy crap engine from the start, having seen some of the code snippets that used to come through way back when, it is overly complicated for no reason and im sure makes life hard for a small team of maybe not the worlds best programmers.

Biglines
11-01-11, 13:59
Well, i wouldnt call it bad communication, if anything promising things and not delivering is a lie.
As far as Neocron 3 being announced a year ago and no progress made, etc. We are lucky they even give us an idea of what they want to do in the future, They dont have too, most companies dont.
If Neocron 3 never comes to pass, people will critisize them for not delivering, KK can't get a break no matter what they do/dont do.

The other problem is people seem to forget (im sure i remember it, not going to look for the posts) that KK have basically said a couple years ago, when BP started to be developed seriously, that they were pretty much dropping support for neocron, servers would remain up but dont expect patches at a decent rate, Ingame GM support, etc.

Hopefully the gamebryo engine isnt buggy, from my limited CB experience it isnt bad, but not the best.

Also, there are already Korean companies making MMORPG's with Cryengine 3, they look fabulous, except for the asian style D&D world that they all are.

KK and others may hate me for saying this, But they really need to keep thier ideas team, and hand ALL of thier programming to someone good - like crytek :P
(can you tell i like crytek?)
They have used/ modified a buggy crap engine from the start, having seen some of the code snippets that used to come through way back when, it is overly complicated for no reason and im sure makes life hard for a small team of maybe not the worlds best programmers.

they've dropped the neocron engines (yes, plural, in one game) ages ago, gamebryo is a new multiplatform engine with lots of support, and they have experience with it from BP.

as to say they announced that they would be dropping neocron support, where's that?

yavimaya
11-01-11, 14:16
as to say they announced that they would be dropping neocron support, where's that?

The other problem is people seem to forget (im sure i remember it, not going to look for the posts) that.....

haha, yeah, ive read the "bruce" posts.... either way, the engine they started working with and the engine they ended up with are both inherently flawed.
But engines aside, basically every patch they have fixed one thing, 4 things break, i wouldnt blame the engine, i would blame the humans for that.

Biglines
11-01-11, 15:41
But engines aside, basically every patch they have fixed one thing, 4 things break, i wouldnt blame the engine, i would blame the humans for that.
true that.

from what I heard the inside and outzone zones are rendered with 2 different graphics engines, which is why people get fre's when alttabbing in the wastelands, while they can still do it in indoor settings.

ofc also the netcode is ridiculously bad, from the patch info apparently they didn't even encrypt the messages, and of course the clipping.

yavimaya
12-01-11, 01:14
true that.

from what I heard the inside and outzone zones are rendered with 2 different graphics engines, which is why people get fre's when alttabbing in the wastelands, while they can still do it in indoor settings.

ofc also the netcode is ridiculously bad, from the patch info apparently they didn't even encrypt the messages, and of course the clipping.

It is, im sure ill get into trouble for this, but your PM box is full and there isnt really anyone around to see it these days anyways -

http://www.genesis3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=1002400&forum=9&start=0