PDA

View Full Version : does the KK dev even check the forums?

Flashlite
20-11-10, 16:49
cuz i need to know if theres a way to add the vsync command line to the .ini file.

Biglines
20-11-10, 17:13
either they don't or they are too shy to talk to actual people

Flashlite
21-11-10, 19:57
Wake The Fuck Up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flashlite
22-11-10, 00:10
if i spam will a KK dev baddie help me with this problem?

flib
22-11-10, 00:24
Mod presence has been very limited lately; it seems like mods make their rounds only once a week.

Flashlite
22-11-10, 02:38
Wtb A Fucking Dev

Genji
22-11-10, 09:02
Wtb A Fucking Dev

I will sell you a 0 slot dev

Flashlite
22-11-10, 09:21
like my wet balls for free. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will not turn off. shit is bonkers :(

aKe`cj
22-11-10, 10:30
it will not turn off. shit is bonkers :(

turn off? as in turn off vsync?
thats about the last thing to do with neocron... it causes issues not only on your side, but also for other players - keep vsync enabled!

apart from that - the last time I checked, vsync settings could be set per application in the nvidia config. wouldnt suprise me if ATI had a similar control center.

Flashlite
22-11-10, 10:38
Hmm how does vsync make a issues to other players wtf?????? only issues for them is that they can kill me now cuz i cant aim for shit with the bad delay.

and yes i got a ATI card and i used there software to disable vsync and with power strip and ATI tray. i get 150fps in WoW and 60+ in battlefield and 125 in quakelive. i dont have many other games installed so cant test others but clearly vsync is always staying on in neocron. like new games you can turn it off in options but KK didnt know how to input that in there games. so im hoping its there but have to add the command to the .ini file.

aKe`cj
22-11-10, 10:56
If KK opted to enforce vsync (havent played for a while, so this slipped past me) this is a good thing and helping you to circumvent that setting is not something to be expected from them.

disabled vsync used to cause all sorts of errors, among them the well known 'rubber band' effect that affected other players (your character would appear to lag back and forwards rapidly after zoning).

Your screen wont display more than 62 fps anyway. No big deal here.

Flashlite
22-11-10, 11:10
[ Edited ]

Brammers
22-11-10, 13:23
and yes i got a ATI card and i used there software to disable vsync and with power strip and ATI tray. i get 150fps in WoW and 60+ in battlefield and 125 in quakelive. i dont have many other games installed so cant test others but clearly vsync is always staying on in neocron. like new games you can turn it off in options but KK didnt know how to input that in there games. so im hoping its there but have to add the command to the .ini file.

NC is Framerate capped to 100 FPS anyway - has been since patch 159 aka NC2.2 - probably for the same sort of reasons to why Quake 4 was framerate capped.

Biglines
22-11-10, 13:33
wouldn't surprise me if vsync didnt even exist back when neocron's engines were created :S

flib
22-11-10, 23:37
If KK opted to enforce vsync (havent played for a while, so this slipped past me) this is a good thing and helping you to circumvent that setting is not something to be expected from them.

disabled vsync used to cause all sorts of errors, among them the well known 'rubber band' effect that affected other players (your character would appear to lag back and forwards rapidly after zoning).

Your screen wont display more than 62 fps anyway. No big deal here.
Nygore, you best be trolling.

Genji
23-11-10, 03:00
'rubber band' effect

..yea every player disabled vsync and caused that...oh wait, that's wrong.

aKe`cj
23-11-10, 03:24
disabled vsync and extreme fps used to be one(!) cause for rubber band movement after switching zones. do I need to list all other issues and beat the dead horse name netcode to make the above statement morally acceptable?
why am I trolling? the problems I described were (and possibly still are) very real.

why so hostile?

Flashlite
23-11-10, 03:55
[ Edited ]

Brammers
23-11-10, 11:45
aKe`cj is spot on. Flashlite, you are the one that's out of order.

Biglines
23-11-10, 11:49
how does a purely graphical thing influence netcode?

instead of flaming eachother, just quote some authoritive source that actually explains why this would be.

CMaster
23-11-10, 12:15
If you look back through the forums, you'll find it's the case - lots of people suffering from weird issues that went away when they enabled Vsync. Remember you were claiming that a "purely graphical thing" effects input code as well, which should in theory be unrelated. (Personally I don't notice any input lag)

I'm also intrigued by the problems that flashlite is having, as for everyone else, enabling/disabling in the Catalyst/nVidia control centre does seem to change it for NC.

Edit: Just tried myself, Windows 7 64bit, Catalyst Drivers, Neocron 174. And yeah, even with vsync set to always off, NC FPS is pretty much locked to 62, with the occasional hop down to 58. No noticeable mouse lag for me however, so perhaps you're best off looking for where that comes from? (I did notice that 3rd person camera isn't quite as sharp at moving though, with some kind of smoothing going on. Maybe there is something to fighting in first person - although crosshair movement is fine in both).

Edit2: See this thread for one player's experience of zoning issues with and without vsync. Was fairly well known back then, you'll probably find a few more threads if you head back in time from that. No idea if it still holds, but zoning could be almost impossible sometimes for those with vsycn disabled.

Biglines
23-11-10, 13:12
I was told that vsync makes the graphics card wait for something before starting on the next frame, resulting in mouselag by making the screen lag behind the actual input.

thanks for the links though, figures NC is the only game in existence where turning vsync off leads to Negative issues :S gogo neocron devs!

CMaster
23-11-10, 13:23
Well except for you know, tearing (which can be pretty ugly).
One can imagine ways in which badly developed input code could cause input lag with vsync (and indeed it has on record - look at Dead Space for a game with major input issues with vsync on - although amusingly not if you disable it ingame and force it in graphics card settings). I can't see any trace of that in NC however (not to say that others don't) - to the best of my perception, I move my mouse and by the next frame, my viewpoint has moved - and 60 odd updates a second is pretty high, anyway.

Biglines
23-11-10, 13:26
I'm not really one to speak though, I play windowed :p

yet even with all the explanations, I still don't get how it could make people zone crappily... in a normal world that is, with nc of course everything is possible...

btw flashlite, did you turn off mouse acceleration in windows?

CMaster
23-11-10, 13:30
Well at a guess, Neocron has some really bad netcode in more ways than the obvious. It seems very, very bad and dealing with missing packets etc. People would find the amount of fatals they got altered dramatically when they changed ISPs. Our suspiscion is that NC can be caused to crash when it gets a packet that isn't expected, or in the wrong order and ends up doing a div/0 or similar.
Running at really high framerates, perhaps this means that it doesn't wait for long enough to get the right packets? Or moves on too quickly? Or spams the server with too many requests? This is possible if a lot of the code is built around working in frames. If that is the problem, then the FPS cap probably means vsync doesn't matter so much. It could be something odder entirely however.

Genji
23-11-10, 14:17
I never said there were no effects, just that the rubber band effect was not one of them...because it wasn't. Everyone was getting that one at the time, including myself with vsync on.

CMaster
23-11-10, 14:40
There you're getting confused - lack of vsync wasn't the only cause of rubber banding. The reality is that it fixed it for some people (and certainly had a big effect on zoning with vehicles)