PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Psi Monks

VerbalPEZ
08-08-10, 18:25
Is there a certain strategy I should employ?
General advise would be completely welcome here too...

My wife and I are leveling a couple of psi monks. I think the best way is to let her level pure APU and I will hybrid such that we will have some weak heals and buffs along the way.

I know hybrids have been a source of discussion since the game launched. Have they been made completely nonviable? Is there something I should know about this path that might cause a problem for me?

What secondary skills should we pickup?
I was thinking one with poke and another with hack...?

Can Con still be leveled by us hurting and healing each other in an apartment?

Added: One other question... many moons ago we quit when the devs made it so that PPUs made groups godlike yet got NO credit for it. Is this still the case or have they fixed it such that if a PPU is around buffing then they get good credit for the kills being made...?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- V

Dribble Joy
08-08-10, 18:51
PPU buffs aren't what they were in 2.1, especially the heals. They are still a valuable asset to a team (and still a near necessity at OP fights), but nothing like the god-makers they once were.

Hybrids are 'meh', both their offensive/defensive power can be good, but the skill reqs on both APU and PPU spells make using a high level spell from the other side difficult. Going high offence and low defence (PE PPU spells) is probably the best option.

Leveling a PPU is probably best done with APU and loming over afterwards, though it can be seen as a bit lame. Teaming with an APU is the only other real option.

Poke and hack is the best options for your Int points. Monks don't need PSU for anything other than their psi pool so you can freely invest a lot of points into other areas.

PPUs are like goal-keepers. They rarely get credit when you win, and often get the blame when you loose. Just something you need to deal with.

Biglines
08-08-10, 18:56
if your characters are unfunded, pure-apu is the way to go, since the nanite heal is easy to use pretty quickly and is almost as effective as foreign spells

Biglines
08-08-10, 18:57
PPUs are like goal-keepers. They rarely get credit when you win, and often get the blame when you loose. Just something you need to deal with.

that's what I used to think, but since I've been ppu'ing i've gotten more compliments than when I was fighting (and I suck harder at ppu'ing than fighting)

VerbalPEZ
08-08-10, 19:37
Excellent info!

What about Rezzing? Would it be worth getting both to the state we could rez each other then just full on APU? Or is that just not practical or necessary?

Biglines
08-08-10, 20:07
Excellent info!

What about Rezzing? Would it be worth getting both to the state we could rez each other then just full on APU? Or is that just not practical or necessary?
it takes a lot of ppu to rezz tbh, and as le'd u can gr without much hassle, just spec some implant skill and you'll be good to go

MrTrip
08-08-10, 21:09
I love ppuing, more than I love fighting tbh. But then again I guess I like making people angry....here are a few famous quotes

"lol noobs cant fight without ppu lame" *runs to P1 for heals and buffs*

"cant drop ppu with dev, must be cheating wtf"

"get rid of the ppu butt plug noob"

"LOL COULDNT BEAT ME WITHOUT ANTI BUFFS AND ANTI HEALS LOL LAME"

<3 Have fun with your troll class. Sometimes I just buff random people, or I heal everybody in P2 to REALLY get some anger flowing.

"WTF, WHY YOU BUFF ME AND HIM? YOU SUCK AT PPU"

Hell-demon
08-08-10, 21:57
I love ppuing, more than I love fighting tbh. But then again I guess I like making people angry....here are a few famous quotes

"lol noobs cant fight without ppu lame" *runs to P1 for heals and buffs*

"cant drop ppu with dev, must be cheating wtf"

"get rid of the ppu butt plug noob"

"LOL COULDNT BEAT ME WITHOUT ANTI BUFFS AND ANTI HEALS LOL LAME"

<3 Have fun with your troll class. Sometimes I just buff random people, or I heal everybody in P2 to REALLY get some anger flowing.

"WTF, WHY YOU BUFF ME AND HIM? YOU SUCK AT PPU"

Today you have become a god to me

MrTrip
09-08-10, 00:25
Today you have become a god to me

I love PPU, It seriously screams troll every time I run into a zone.

OH, YOU HAD TO BRING A PPU?

I DIDN'T BRING THE PPU

BULL SHIT WHY IS THE PPU BUFFING YOU THEN?

I DON'T KNOW, WHY IS IT BUFFING YOU?

I DON'T KNOW WTF

PPU RUINS OUR FUN

PPU 1 Everybody else 0

Dribble Joy
09-08-10, 00:42
P2 is a bit like NF, just that it's easier to get to. It's not really classed as a team arena by most people, rather a free for all 1vs1 zone. As a result, a PPU is generally classed as 'unfair' by the unwritten rules of those who visit it.

MrTrip
09-08-10, 00:45
P2 is a bit like NF, just that it's easier to get to. It's not really classed as a team arena by most people, rather a free for all 1vs1 zone. As a result, a PPU is generally classed as 'unfair' by the unwritten rules of those who visit it.

Ah yes, I have a copy of those rules here, but if you read rule 1327.6 sub section 4 article 7 you find this...

A PPU is not permitted in Plaza 2 under any circumstances. However, ppu's may be dual logged and parked in P1 for heals and buffs.

Though you may not bring a ppu into P2, you can get buffs in P1, and then talk shit to people in P2 who did not have buffs.

I love Neocron politics <33

Dribble Joy
09-08-10, 00:57
1327.6? "The use of merkins by combatants is forbidden"?

Don't you mean rule 1337.n355?

VerbalPEZ
09-08-10, 02:36
Ive missed this community

MrTrip
09-08-10, 03:11
I've missed potato.

Actually, the forums have really died down....er...well just died :(

VerbalPEZ
10-08-10, 02:36
one more question...

On initial points, is focussing (under psi) needed?

Headed to search on this but thought I would ask here too...

Oh, any initial point expenditure tips would be great...

VerbalPEZ
10-08-10, 03:57
nm found what I was looking for... pretty obvious.. The name changed and that threw me off...

Biglines
10-08-10, 10:06
easiest for setups is to use nskill, think ww.nskill.co.uk is still up

as to initial stuff, most important is just go with the requirements, and see if it grows accordingly

in int, go for implant as it will help during leveling, and hack.

in dex, might go for some vehicle use (15 for the slowest vehicle), and some recycling so you can make your own psi boosters (a bit later you will need loads of psi boosters)

in con, make sure you get enough health to use the nearest psi tool (once you get near con 40 (in a long time), you'll need around 75 health, but for the newbie health tool you need way less.

str, you can put in some transport, but most can be in resist piercing and a bit of force

MrTrip
10-08-10, 19:24
Monks are squishy. Very squishy. Carry health packs and that stupid fpp tool thing for healing (I call it fpp tool because thats the sound it makes :D...fpp...sipp....I deno)

Barrels rock, drop some at MB bunker or something and run back inside. Just don't barrel your feet, herpderp, or you will find out just how squishy you really are.

VerbalPEZ
10-08-10, 19:43
We rolled 2 Aggressive Monks
We went Crahn cause it seemed like the Psi Monk thing to do.

Then we went to PP2 and straight into a lvl4 sewer. We fought all the way to the back but couldnt clear the final room. Not because we werent capable but we couldnt carry all the loot we were picking up. We had a blast although the lady wishes there was more to do than spam left click. I think some levels will fix that.

I went back into the sewer alone today for some experimentation. I attempted to level my str by punching stuff so I can carry fatter loots... that didnt work out so good. Still havent died but I did manage to level my Con.

I was told in /help that I needed to run missions. I think we will focus our aggression on Fierce dogs this evening ;-) I am looking forward to Lvl5 where I think we should be able to handle some normal missions against Mutant Corporals and Warriors.

Overall... I am having a good time.
Open to any pointers anyone has to offer!

- V

*btw, in game our chars names are Trippin and Fallin (mine is Fallin)

Biglines
10-08-10, 19:51
We rolled 2 Aggressive Monks
We went Crahn cause it seemed like the Psi Monk thing to do.

Then we went to PP2 and straight into a lvl4 sewer. We fought all the way to the back but couldnt clear the final room. Not because we werent capable but we couldnt carry all the loot we were picking up. We had a blast although the lady wishes there was more to do than spam left click. I think some levels will fix that.

I went back into the sewer alone today for some experimentation. I attempted to level my str by punching stuff so I can carry fatter loots... that didnt work out so good. Still havent died but I did manage to level my Con.

I was told in /help that I needed to run missions. I think we will focus our aggression on Fierce dogs this evening ;-) I am looking forward to Lvl5 where I think we should be able to handle some normal missions against Mutant Corporals and Warriors.

Overall... I am having a good time.
Open to any pointers anyone has to offer!

- V

*btw, in game our chars names are Trippin and Fallin (mine is Fallin)
by missions most people mean doing tl150 research missions, which are made by ressers and sold for milions, easy missions dont really level con much.

Generally my process is doing the aggressors in the p1 cellar, then off to military base to kill launchers there, and after that regants.

well, when I'm not power leveling, but you don't have the funds for powerleveling (nor the required high tech tank probably)

dodgefahrer
10-08-10, 22:19
Yeah best way is Agressors/MB/and afterwards the clopse in...in....damn cant remember the name of the spot....
Then go caving or regant if u can find a PPU.

And ya let some resser make u TL150 ress missions of ur faction (be sure u have enaugh symp to run them). this will lvl all ur skillZ quickly.

VerbalPEZ
10-08-10, 23:35
TL150 ress missions ? I have no idea what that means lol

Sounds like I need to just go back to punching dogs in the face. 5 more points in transport would surely allow us to hang out down there considerably longer making leveling and cash come faster.

I think we are pretty close to hitting the Lvl5 holes in PP3.

Also, I plan on LOMing over to PPU when group buffs and AE damage modules are in reach. Any advice on that plan is welcome.

Thanks all for putting up with all the noob questions and sending me some great guidance.

- V

MrTrip
11-08-10, 03:41
I was looking around for you....I have some gifts :D

VerbalPEZ
11-08-10, 05:42
holy crap! Christmas was early!

How will I know they are the cubes I need?
How much is too much for cost?

I had one person respond but they told me they didnt have Crahn cubes...

MrTrip
11-08-10, 07:13
holy crap! Christmas was early!

How will I know they are the cubes I need?
How much is too much for cost?

I had one person respond but they told me they didnt have Crahn cubes...

Tell them you want them to research it for you.

For that level (The 70's) I'd pay for the cost of lube + 200k tip or something. You can afford it now.

They will be the blueprint of the part you have. Like I said you need 150 cubes to do 50 missions.

Tada!

VerbalPEZ
11-08-10, 12:26
sry I am noobing this up but I dont want to make a mistake and buy a whole bunch of something I dont need.

So...

1 - I go where and buy what kind of datacube?
2 - Then I take those data cubes and the part to a Researcher.
3 - I ask him to research the part into all 150 datacubes.
- - - Would it be better to only do 75 or so then get a higher level part researched?
4 - Give him the 150 datacubes
5 - Get back the 150 datacubes with the research loaded into them
6 - Pay him about 200K over the price of lube (I will have to figure out how much lube is... and I take it it is lube x 150)

Is this accurate?

So him asking if I needed FA was because he had a bunch preloaded with the FA mission's part... But I need them to come over and go through 150 loading the Crahn part.

Am I getting this right?

Thank you for your patience... Again, I just dont want to buy 150 of something only to realize I made a crucial error.

Biglines
11-08-10, 12:56
sry I am noobing this up but I dont want to make a mistake and buy a whole bunch of something I dont need.

So...

1 - I go where and buy what kind of datacube?
2 - Then I take those data cubes and the part to a Researcher.
3 - I ask him to research the part into all 150 datacubes.
- - - Would it be better to only do 75 or so then get a higher level part researched?
4 - Give him the 150 datacubes
5 - Get back the 150 datacubes with the research loaded into them
6 - Pay him about 200K over the price of lube (I will have to figure out how much lube is... and I take it it is lube x 150)

Is this accurate?

So him asking if I needed FA was because he had a bunch preloaded with the FA mission's part... But I need them to come over and go through 150 loading the Crahn part.

Am I getting this right?

Thank you for your patience... Again, I just dont want to buy 150 of something only to realize I made a crucial error.

no, the resser has enough datacubes, just accept the highest tl res mission you can hand in, (or do recycle missions till you have enough sympathy), and then bring the mission part (you get it in the mission), to a resser. He'll tell you his rates for ressing it (they're expensive on the lube), but as long as he doesnt ask for more than 10k per cube (for tl150 research missions), it's ok, since you get 30k per 3 cubes (tl150), and a shitload of xp to boot. If you need a loan, ask me when im online (ill be whining in help or ooc probably), my resser isnt high enough to do the cubes for you, but if you happen to see loose wire online, or ressi blade, they might have some in stock

the tl150 missions are found in the very hard section of th emissions in citycom

Brammers
11-08-10, 15:32

Heh, I like to buff people in P2 with the wrong support spell, like Drone buff for heavy tank, support buff for Pistol PE.... :D

1327.6? "The use of merkins by combatants is forbidden"?

Don't you mean rule 1337.n355?

Which edition - I've got the latest 174.FA edition, and I can't find that one there.... :lol:

Trilaac
11-08-10, 15:33
If you can find Kintesh (my resser) he'll do upto tl100 for you without needing cubes.

If not, ask around for him, and i'm sure i'll see you and log him in.

Once you get leveled a bit (i'm guessing you're an APU?) get a good PPU with a res and all shields and head into el fardid underground.. PPu buffs group with shields and fire res, all run to final room.. jump up on top of the queens room building on second basement, then barrel the crap outta the floor.

I ran the first level of El Farid with my Spy droner and made about 500k in a day, but eventually died taking on a room full of big 90/90 scorpions and losing my last drone and trying to run out with no defensive weapons or spells.

Faid
11-08-10, 16:31
OK this is how the tl 150 research missions work. You go to a city com select missions, then select your faction in the left pane and select very hard in the right pane, click the search for missions button. Three missions will appear in the window to choose from, if you dont see the tl150 research mission you have to hit the next button at the bottom, this will give you three new missions to choose from. Once you find the tl150 research mission hit the accept button. Youwill be prompted to talk to someone in the HQ and he will give you a part that you must produce 3 blueprints from. Once you have the bp's you turn them in along with the original part.

The trick is getting the bp's. So you'll want to first get the mission and receive the part that needs to be researched. Take that part to a researcher and have him make you as many bp's as you want. It actually does take a good bit of res lube for the researcher to make these bp's (something like 3 bp's per big pack of lube) thats why tipping a decent amount is necessary. For turning in the tl150 res missions you will recieve 30,000 nc, thats 10k per cube, so money shouldn't be a problem. Or you could just buy the bp's from someone if they happen to have them already researched.

Once you have a stack of however many cubes you just run the mission over and over again. :D

CMaster
12-08-10, 18:00
And just a little more detail on the running of missions:
TL150 research missions require you to be very popular with the faction in question (80 or so sympathy I think). However, as a result of changes a while back, all missions now give you 1 sympathy. The quickest way to get there is to take "very easy" recycle missions. Each one of these will ask you for 5 of some chemical (from a choice of 3). Just buy bulk loads of these 3 chemicals (for very easy missions, these are all very cheap) and keep running around handing them in.

Oh, just a note - APUs are probably considered the worst combat class these days (although they still have their uses) and you'll probably find you have the best luck being an APU/PPU team.

VerbalPEZ
12-08-10, 18:22
Awesome info. I ended up running 50 TL70 missions on both her and my Char (well almost done with mine) They should be around 13 STR giving more than enough to transport loot. Any recommendation for min/max Transport? I figured 15 would do... I just dont want to have to run to yo's or a gogo every ten minutes.

I intend to be PPU while she is going to stay APU. About what level should I LoM over to PPU? If we are in the same group will we share XP equally? It used to not be that way (reason for or first quit).

Thanks for all the tips!

MrTrip
12-08-10, 18:26
Awesome info. I ended up running 50 TL70 missions on both her and my Char (well almost done with mine) They should be around 13 STR giving more than enough to transport loot. Any recommendation for min/max Transport? I figured 15 would do... I just dont want to have to run to yo's or a gogo every ten minutes.

I intend to be PPU while she is going to stay APU. About what level should I LoM over to PPU? If we are in the same group will we share XP equally? It used to not be that way (reason for or first quit).

Thanks for all the tips!

LOM to PPU when you hit WoC 1. Thats capped + overcap.

VerbalPEZ
12-08-10, 19:13
<- Noob

What is WoC 1 ?

Hell-demon
12-08-10, 19:48
Poorly implemented high level content.

MrTrip
12-08-10, 20:07
Poorly implemented high level content.

Lawl.

Remember when I gave you that money? Remember the robe with the neon lights on it? Thats WoC for monks pretty much. But you will want it, because someday, SOME DAY, they might make content for it.

When you are capped, you will know what WoC is, and what its used for.

CMaster
12-08-10, 22:01
If you stick together and level together, I think the PPU should keep up with the APU just fine. My PPU was levelled as pure PPU, has never had a point of APU in its life. Got to WoC and Int Cap before any of the clan's APUs too.

Biglines
12-08-10, 22:31
If you stick together and level together, I think the PPU should keep up with the APU just fine. My PPU was levelled as pure PPU, has never had a point of APU in its life. Got to WoC and Int Cap before any of the clan's APUs too.
was this in this patch? because you'd probably need a lot of leveling apu's at the same time, 1on1 a ppu gets way less xp these days, plus there is the problem that apu's change their combat rank with every weapon, while ppu's can be ages behind..

CMaster
12-08-10, 22:58
was this in this patch? because you'd probably need a lot of leveling apu's at the same time, 1on1 a ppu gets way less xp these days, plus there is the problem that apu's change their combat rank with every weapon, while ppu's can be ages behind..

No, this would have been back in 2.0
And yeah, combat rank was a bit of a fiddle at some points.

dodgefahrer
12-08-10, 23:18
Yeah the PPU will need atleast the same Combat Rank as the APU which will be hard even with the highest spells in ur hand u can use.
But if u can deal with this circumstance u will lvl both chars pretty fine and fast.

VerbalPEZ
13-08-10, 01:27
So I was checking out all the cool Frozen spells on the PPU vendor... then realized they had APU requirements... O_o

Faid
13-08-10, 03:06
And PPU's have debuff now 8|

VerbalPEZ
13-08-10, 05:27
I was checking out the 'frozen' spells thinking that they were given low damage spells with crowd control capabilities. Thought that was great...

oh well.

Any advice on the transport number? just thinking it would be nice not to have to hit the gog or yo's constantly. What number is a good number for that?

Dribble Joy
13-08-10, 11:07
For leveling, I'd put most of my Str points into Tra, at least as a PPU. The APU could do with some points in force and piercing resist. So maybe something like a third in each.