PDA

View Full Version : Pwnin' with Dronin'

VerbalPEZ
08-08-10, 18:19
Just had to make a quick post on the popularity of Drones. I was a Droner Hacker back in NC1 beta+ and loved it. Back then, hardly anyone droned and everyone complained about not having sniper rifles. The idea of a remot gun beats the heck out of a long range LoS rifle any day. I never got why anyone would want a rifle over a drone.

Now drones seem very popular. I am guessing the lack of need to buy ammo is a part of their leveling popularity but what else made for the change of heart?

Dribble Joy
08-08-10, 18:41
Highest TL AoE weapons available and inherently more powerful than the other weapon types.

This makes them the best option for PvE against groups of mobs, particuarly the Regant boss room and ceres labs.

Biglines
08-08-10, 19:04
plus the fact that with a bunch of drones, you effectively make yourself invincible, being able to level constantly and without having to heal.

but in pvp, droners are the most hated people on the server, while it may help win opwars, it's considered to be the lamest way to do it. (plus most droners die very quickly anyway, since they're easy to kill because they are never padded)

VerbalPEZ
08-08-10, 22:46
hehe too funny. Little has changed then...

I remember jumpin my bike into hard to reach places outside MB, hiding my body and launching my drones. I would pile 15-20 belts before calling in guild reinforcements so that I could go loot them.

/sigh

They were cheap and dirty then too.. but few knew ;-)

Also the level potential with them was great. Mobs focused agroed the drone not the player. You could drop agro by dropping the drone and their flight made it easy to take up positions that were difficult to impossible for mobs to reach.

but when NC2 launched, somehow my droner got eaten by the transfer and it is now looking like my wife's account is lost as well... :rolleyes:

Very sad... we wanted to play tonight :(

Dribble Joy
09-08-10, 00:47
If you have your old contact/account details, you might be able to pull up your old chars.

Running a dedicated droner-hunter at an OP fight when droners are around can be useful and can be one of the more useful areas PEs can fill (often a role I would fill for EXL while in their employ when they were active).
An xbow to the face will drop a droner often before he even realises his meatsack has been found.

VerbalPEZ
09-08-10, 02:45
I think its a NC1 - NC2 thing... if you didnt transfer them they didnt show up... I played NC2 a while after it was released.

Oh and I was a Droner / Hack spy. I could fly the best (what was it an AP20?) drone over an entire sector, run like a maniac and still hack the best OPs. But a good jack-slap would end me face to face (hence the high athletics). If you aimed an X-bow in my face I would curl into a fetal position and cry like Richard Simmons.