PDA

View Full Version : different idea for community project, neocron point and click adventure game ;)

Biglines
29-07-10, 01:06
was browsing through the blender forums, and came upon a game made with the following engine: http://dead-code.org/home/index.php/features/

it's an open source engine for point and click adventures, and for some reason it immediately made me think of neocron, point and click post-apocalyptic cyberpunk adventure :D

ofcourse I'm bad at actually writing cool stories, but would be willing and capable of making characters, animations and backgrounds. any aspiring writers, concepts artists, voice artists interested? I keep hearing people willing to write missions for neocron, maybe this could be interesting?

I can do most scripting for this engine though if necessary

just an idea, feel free to shoot down as it's really just a spur of the moment idea spouting into the open ;)

(for those expecting something about neocron:source, I'm currently on hold with that because I'm sorta waiting if the mappers are going to continue, as we sorta lost our programmer, and blender is atm not fully supported as they're transitioning to a new version which doesn't support exporting to the source engine yet. If neocron:source were to take off I might give that priority again though)

Biglines
30-07-10, 17:05
damn, would have at least expected people to make fun of it :P ah well, have to find another excuse to make cool looking neocron inspired scenes :)

Morpheus
30-07-10, 23:22
There is only ONE Neocron

Sad but true :P

Biglines
31-07-10, 01:47
ofc there is...

there is also only one directly accessible universe, doesn't stop people from thinking up fun things to occupy their times :P

thought it might be cool to do something as a sort of interactive fanfic, as there's quite a few people back in the days that loved writing stories and roleplaying etc.

Hell-demon
31-07-10, 12:48
Sounds fantastic Biglines!

I will give what ever help I can. VO, writing?, and what ever you think I could do to help.

One idea might be have a story based around a hacker in neocron who has a drone as a sidekick. That way you might be able to incorporate hacking mini games into your game. Just a thought.

Anyway...

Biglines
31-07-10, 15:33
If you're serious about it, I think the most feasible idea would be to not go for any big game, but more like the new monkey island series, meaning smaller episodes that are possibly connected, but have their own small story arches.

I wouldn't recommend posting complete story ideas on here, as it might ruin the fun for any players later, but if you're serious, give me some pointers as to what sort of environments you see in your story, or what kind of actors.

Hell-demon
31-07-10, 16:42
I would focus primarily on the cyberpunk and the post-apocalyptic later. Keep to the city we all know and love. Just like neocron it should start in the protagonist's apartment.

Who you want as a protagonist is really up to you, seeing as you are the project director.

I've been involved in a few neocron projects in the past but none of them took off. There was a machinima project I worked on with Gunner Aigerson, wrote and did voice acting for it. Also helped write for a comic Clive Tombstone was going to draw. Again, nothing happened.

I still write, just not neocron fan fiction. I also dabble with video editing and filming so I could resurrect that machinima.

Biglines
31-07-10, 20:08
lol project director, I don't mind taking on that role, but fully open if others want to take that up.

do you still play? would like to walk around neocron discussion possible story lines in certain areas

and like I said, I really suck at creative writing, best I've come up with was a poem for class, cuz you don't have to invent new stories ;), so if you have any ideas like the droner sidekick or hacker, I'm more than willing to take that and run with it. It would be a semi-longterm project anyway, because I have uni for at least another year (and fuck me for chosing the busiest course of the country...)

JohnGalt
27-07-11, 20:29
..., I'm bad at actually writing cool stories, but would be willing and capable of making characters, animations and backgrounds. any aspiring writers, concepts artists, voice artists interested? I keep hearing people willing to write missions for neocron, maybe this could be interesting?

PMessage me, I will be interested to develop a story line if you tell me what you want for concept. As you aware, commenting alone in my other posts, they are a story of their own...:)

As we have been discussing in SnowCrash's other post ideas about NC development... "... Neocron is.... " (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2145548&postcount=1)

I have thought about some tangible unification through storyline's but, I have not directly tackled this writing to support my other integration thoughts on the subject. I would like to see if I could create a storyline that would support the interaction with NC and the other MMO (you know what I mean?).

Some creative imagery would be inspirational.

Respectfully,

JohnGalt

Biglines
27-07-11, 22:43
hmm, this particular project was dropped quite some time ago, and currently we are working on the original project again (but instead on UDK) and making progress (announcement soon). Then again, the projects aren't mutually exclusive (lot's of the models I'm making could be used to create environments for this kind of game), but it doesn't have a big priority atm.