PDA

View Full Version : Future of NC?

-zero-
07-07-10, 09:40
OK, after returning to NC after a few months and seeing a 1% max pop now (Maybe 2% for about an hour if i'm lucky). Will there ever be a future of NC? Such as a patch or new release? Seems to me everyone is giving up completely, players and development alike. :mad: Ive read several post, all contradicting each others, "there will be a patch", " there never will be a patch". Does anyone know for certain so me, and others wont have to waste their time on it? I kinda feel Reakktor is keeping the servers open for some reason (maybe as a future improvement), but i see no sign of one.

NC was the best game out there, I would even still pay 15-30 a month to play the Old NC again.

Basically, give opinions of what might happen to the game, If the pop is dropping this fast i see that most already think the end is near!! 8|

Morpheus
07-07-10, 10:46
If i understand that new situation right, then the old NC2 servers where moved into a new datacenter. Problem with that seems to be that there are constand connection interrupts which cause the player (all players) to lose connection to the gameserver. One very bad side effect of that: A kind of rollback which can turn out in a way that you loose several items, when transfered recently. So aside from all old and know issues like netcode, balancing and blah blah, there is this very new issue that stops people (meh!) from playing...

If they solve this above described problem soon, there will be a "little" future for NC, as it has been for the last years. People coming back after a long retirement, or leaving again after some time. But there will always be some volks jumping around the servers.

If they DON'T solve this problem (very soon) - i guess the only future NC will have is ... well. None at all.

br morph

Biglines
07-07-10, 12:22
recently the most diehard fans have even been quitting, so it would need some very significant changes to revive neocron, if at all possible

Dr Phil
07-07-10, 12:43
God i hate NC... Forcing me to come back every time i freaking quit..

I hope NC has a future, but doubt it very much.. Unless KK does something drastic.. fast..

But as Biggie said, even IF they do something NC's future is still very uncertain :(

<-- Diehard fan who kinda ragequit - but failed.. :p

Garfield
07-07-10, 21:47
God i hate NC... Forcing me to come back every time i freaking quit..

I hope NC has a future, but doubt it very much.. Unless KK does something drastic.. fast..

But as Biggie said, even IF they do something NC's future is still very uncertain :(

<-- Diehard fan who kinda ragequit - but failed.. :p
well spoken ill second that

-zero-
08-07-10, 04:58
I just wish that someone from KK would take 2 minutes out of their "busy" day to inform some of their customers if there would be a patch soon. Instead of forcing us to play 'The Guessing Game'. :confused:

Its sad to see a game so amazing go down the toilet like this. Would it honestly really be that hard just to re patch the game back to the beginning of NC2 or end of NC1? Or i guess that would be asking for too much.... :rolleyes:

VirtualReGen
08-07-10, 11:18
I just wish that someone from KK would take 2 minutes out of their "busy" day to inform some of their customers if there would be a patch soon. Instead of forcing us to play 'The Guessing Game'. :confused:

Its sad to see a game so amazing go down the toilet like this. Would it honestly really be that hard just to re patch the game back to the beginning of NC2 or end of NC1? Or i guess that would be asking for too much.... :rolleyes:

I don't think people that still log into the game can be qualified as customers anymore, man. Folks don't contribute to the game anymore, there are no funds being given to REAKKTOR. We are customers of no use. Why would they take two minutes of their "busy" day to inform their useless customers?
Although I would really like to see another NC1, everything that is being suggested anymore is just wishful thinking and a waste of time. :o
Let's hope Black Prophecy gets enough income so REAKKTOR can put some thought into Neocron again. I know I'll be supporting it.
I'm depressed now. :(

Biglines
08-07-10, 12:01
I don't think people that still log into the game can be qualified as customers anymore, man. Folks don't contribute to the game anymore, there are no funds being given to REAKKTOR. We are customers of no use. Why would they take two minutes of their "busy" day to inform their useless customers?
Although I would really like to see another NC1, everything that is being suggested anymore is just wishful thinking and a waste of time. :o
Let's hope Black Prophecy gets enough income so REAKKTOR can put some thought into Neocron again. I know I'll be supporting it.
I'm depressed now. :(
that would all be true, if not for the fact that they actually promised to do things, and simply ignore any inquiry into the status of those promises.

plus, about a tenth of the current players still pays for the game

Brammers
08-07-10, 13:12
Err check this out - PATCH169. http://forum.neocron.com/announcement.php?f=2&announcementid=410

This patch is not a content patch, but a technical patch to increase the security of Neocron's network traffic. These changes will break all known cheat programs.

Neocron now also requires newer Visual C++ runtimes. Odds are that another game or program has already installed these on your PC, but if Neocron does not start after applying the patch, you will need to go to Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2) and download and install the vcredist_x86.exe at the bottom of the page.

All Neocron servers will be offline from 13:00 CET to approximately 15:00 CET to apply this patch.

*Is in shock - A patch!*

phunqe
08-07-10, 13:33
OMFG :eek:

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 13:46
Err check this out - PATCH169. http://forum.neocron.com/announcement.php?f=2&announcementid=410

*Is in shock - A patch!*
.....Yea... Just noticed...

I'm confused.. A NEOCRON PATCH?
Really didnt think that i would experience any more of those.. 8|

Now lets wait and see if it was fast enough :lol:

I do have a feeling that theres going to be a whole lot of people online tonight "testing" things..
Im totally gonna be online to kill those "testers" for sure! :D

Nidhogg
08-07-10, 14:08
I've been watching this thread all morning and was dying to say something. I couldn't until I knew for sure. :)

Brammers
08-07-10, 14:11
I've been watching this thread all morning and was dying to say something. I couldn't until I knew for sure. :)

@Nidhogg - You know if the patch will improve the stability of the servers that has been mentioned countless times on the forums?

Nidhogg
08-07-10, 14:13
I think this patch has been in development since before those problems started to show so I can't guarantee anything - I don't think there's anything specific to target those problems.

Let's see what happens though. This is going to be a major fightback against cheaters. One battle at a time. ;)

Nidhogg
08-07-10, 15:14
We're running a bit late on the patch. It's been a while...

gamefreak
08-07-10, 15:17
a bit late, yeah...

Brammers
08-07-10, 15:21
Hopefully Soon!(tm) :angel:

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 16:42
Wooo NC is patched and running!!

And im currently the only one online :lol:

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 17:00
Server going down in a few mins again :(

Biglines
08-07-10, 17:02
first: great news there is a patch that actually addresses cheating

second: to put is nicely, why wasn't this announced to be in active development? it would have made 90% of the people that left in the past month stay

Biglines
08-07-10, 17:14
yay good job, now I can't even get into the game any more, instant Fatal runtime error after selecting the character (and yes I downloaded the c++ distributable, and no I don't cheat :P)

edit: or is the fre KK's way of telling me the servers are down again?

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 17:33
yay good job, now I can't even get into the game any more, instant Fatal runtime error after selecting the character (and yes I downloaded the c++ distributable, and no I don't cheat :P)

edit: or is the fre KK's way of telling me the servers are down again?
Hehe you didnt expect this to go without any problems, did you? :p

Nidhogg
08-07-10, 17:40
It's a pretty major change under the covers so it looks like there are some teething problems. Please bear with us - we're working on it.

Biglines
08-07-10, 17:54
It's a pretty major change under the covers so it looks like there are some teething problems. Please bear with us - we're working on it.
ye, in order to disable all the cheats it would need total netcode change and file checking I think, I was just thinking it was patched cuz Dr Phil said they were up again, ill be patient ;)

Zuul
08-07-10, 17:54
are the server online again ???

Biglines
08-07-10, 17:56
not yet

but tbh, the rollbacks were caused by the server move, so if they are updating the servers it shouldn't be too difficult to fix that problem

Zuul
08-07-10, 17:57
ok thx ;)

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 17:58
ye, in order to disable all the cheats it would need total netcode change and file checking I think, I was just thinking it was patched cuz Dr Phil said they were up again, ill be patient ;)
Well it was up, but then it went down again :(

Brammers
08-07-10, 18:05

There is also the other move from C++ 6.0 (I'm guessing) to C++ 2005. That's quite a big change behind the scenes.

Neallys
08-07-10, 18:08
Can't wait to roast people with my devourer and bring that new excuse.

:angel:

Biglines
08-07-10, 18:27
Can't wait to roast people with my devourer and bring that new excuse.

:angel:
do u regret scaring off most of the population now? :P

Neallys
08-07-10, 18:40
BOO :D

By the way, OT-wise, congrats to Netherlands :p

Zuul
08-07-10, 18:49
Server Version is 171 now :D

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9694/94728401.jpg

danmalone
08-07-10, 19:10
UPDATE2 - Patch 169 and downtime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Due to technical difficulties the downtime will be longer than expected.

UDATE 2: Unfortunately we haven't been able to resolve the issues with crashing on zoning yet. We'll keep working on it but right now it looks unlikely we'll be able to fix it tonight.

This patch is not a content patch, but a technical patch to increase the security of Neocron's network traffic. These changes will break all known cheat programs.

Neocron now also requires newer Visual C++ runtimes. Odds are that another game or program has already installed these on your PC, but if Neocron does not start after applying the patch, you will need to go to Microsoft and download and install the vcredist_x86.exe at the bottom of the page.

OMG! YES!!! :D

Biglines
08-07-10, 19:10
BOO :D

By the way, OT-wise, congrats to Netherlands :p
for what?

oh right, football

I hate football, but tnx

Neallys
08-07-10, 19:14
for what?

oh right, football

I hate football, but tnx

No? For the cheese and the weed and the.. hot girls in Amsterdam? :angel:

Biglines
08-07-10, 19:19
No? For the cheese and the weed and the.. hot girls in Amsterdam? :angel:
the cheese rocks, the weed... well dutch people don't care about it as much as you foreigners, and the hot girls in amsterdam aren't so hot if you look closer to the window or when the red lights go out :P

Oh and I vote to have Thanatos banned from the forums because he discussed cheats openly!

Neallys
08-07-10, 19:37
Right.. Btw I can't download the patch from the Launcher, if that's supposed to be normal

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 19:44
Right.. Btw I can't download the patch from the Launcher, if that's supposed to be normal
Cant while the server is down.
And Its probably not gonna get up till tomorrow (or in a week :p ).

Biglines
08-07-10, 20:18
Cant while the server is down.
And Its probably not gonna get up till tomorrow (or in a week :p ).
we'll hear nothing about it at all, then when everyone has left, it suddenly turns up completely out of nowhere ;)

Dr Phil
08-07-10, 20:31
we'll hear nothing about it at all, then when everyone has left, it suddenly turns up completely out of nowhere ;)
Yea then someone tries to log on, out of boredom, and he actually gets online :p

-zero-
08-07-10, 20:37
Funny, I get pissed and post cause i miss NC, and look! KK did something! I am jesus! lol jk! :lol:

Setlec
08-07-10, 21:23
Yay! a patch! it happened! i 'm gona buy a lotery ticket now... i'm feeling lucky i guess.

zii
08-07-10, 21:44
OMG!

I had better stop watching Doctor Who and d/l this C++ distributable thingy. Wonder if its inside winetricks ;)

Biglines
08-07-10, 22:47
no hurries, it's Thursday, so certainly won't be fixed till after the weekend

Setlec
09-07-10, 07:34
Zii, you might select vc2008+sp1 runtime on winetricks!

Asurmen Spec Op
09-07-10, 07:56
Oh my god it is true! You sly bastards!
I don't think there has been a NC patch since I entered Uni ffs, this is madness. What an awesome birthday present ;)

Brammers
09-07-10, 12:38
So I take it NC is still down? (I could not connect last night)

P.S. To the mods, would it be an idea to rename this thread or split it, since it's not obvious what this thread is about.

zii
09-07-10, 18:05
Cheers. I won't log in tonight as I have to visit the park and have a bbq. This bloody summer keeps getting in the way of NC. I blame the wife... and I lose :)
See you all on Saturday.

Neallys
09-07-10, 18:10
I'm saying this considering you might already heard/know about it but here is my super-pro feedback: The servers are like retired prostitutes.. They don't seem to work anymore and it's too bad :rolleyes:

Faid
09-07-10, 18:32
Servers are back up now, but it's very difficult to log in and when you do they crash every few minutes. It's a bit unstable at the moment, someone was complaining about losing an item during one of the crashes so be carefuls

Biglines
09-07-10, 19:10
Servers are back up now, but it's very difficult to log in and when you do they crash every few minutes. It's a bit unstable at the moment, someone was complaining about losing an item during one of the crashes so be carefuls
so no different from before the patch? :P

Biglines
09-07-10, 19:21
just logged on, takes ages to connect, then ages to zone, and a random kick after 2 minutes that after login had me falling out of the sky almost to my death (luckily there was a concrete beam halfway to the floor that broke my fall)

Dr Phil
09-07-10, 19:27
Gay.. Im not even gonna bother logging on tonight then :(

Biglines
09-07-10, 19:29
Gay.. Im not even gonna bother logging on tonight then :(
knowing KK it won't be fixed before the weekend, so no logging in til at least monday ;)

Dr Phil
09-07-10, 19:44
knowing KK it won't be fixed before the weekend, so no logging in til at least monday ;)
What would i do without beer..? :D

Nidhogg
09-07-10, 20:14
Please see the announcement update. The servers are obviously still not right and although they'll remain up over the weekend it's likely that you'll experience difficulties.

John Doe
09-07-10, 21:02
Hey Comm - nice to meet you again. The reason could be better ...

Currently we try to find the reasons, that makes playing impossible right now. Information that might be useful will help so please post them here - especially if you are able to create a back-to-login multiple times let us know. This will help us to doing our tests.

I do not have more information at this point - we are trying to solve these problems as soon as possible.

So please be patient :-)

Morpheus
09-07-10, 23:11
Stop saying that. Reminds me of my wife ... honestly :lol:

Setlec
09-07-10, 23:24
Hey Comm - nice to meet you again. The reason could be better ...

Currently we try to find the reasons, that makes playing impossible right now. Information that might be useful will help so please post them here - especially if you are able to create a back-to-login multiple times let us know. This will help us to doing our tests.

I do not have more information at this point - we are trying to solve these problems as soon as possible.

instead of patching the server, it would be logical to have a beta server for that, right?

Dr Phil
09-07-10, 23:41
Stop saying that. Reminds me of my wife ... honestly :lol:
Aww not getting any sexing from the wifey? :p

instead of patching the server, it would be logical to have a beta server for that, right?
Ehm.. This is KK we are speaking of...

Morpheus
10-07-10, 00:53
Aww not getting any sexing from the wifey? :p
Yeh - She promised me a big patch! :angel:

@ Setlec
Testserver? Thats like safersex - No risk no fun :eek:

zii
15-07-10, 22:28

Hmm, cannot find those. The closest I could see are these:

$ winetricks --help |grep sp1
usp10 MS usp10.dll (Uniscribe)
vc2005expresssp1 MS Visual C++ 2005 Express SP1 (does not work yet)
vc2005sp1 MS Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 and ATL fix (install trial 1st)
vc2005hotfix MS Visual C++ 2005 hotfixes (install sp1 1st)
vcrun2005 MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries (mfc80,msvcp80,msvcr80)
fakeie6 Set registry to claim IE6sp1 is installed

and vc2008 does not exist in my winetricks (taken from the repos), but then again winetricks on Ubuntu 10.04 spits out a whole load of crap, so suspect something else..

$ winetricks
fixme:ntdll:NtMakeTemporaryObject (0x40), stub.
fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeResourceLite stub: 0x112090
fixme:ntoskrnl:MmQuerySystemSize stub
fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeNPagedLookasideList stub: 0x54f3a0, (nil), (nil), 16, 44, 1936090177, 16
fixme:ntoskrnl:ExInitializeResourceLite stub: 0x54f360
fixme:ntoskrnl:ObfReferenceObject ((nil)): stub
fixme:ntoskrnl:IoRegisterFileSystem (0x1120d8): stub
fixme:ntoskrnl:FsRtlRegisterUncProvider (0x53e6e4 0x53e6d4 0): stub
fixme:ntoskrnl:IoUnregisterFileSystem (0x1120d8): stub
/home/ziii/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/zenity.sh: 83: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Think I shall have a cup of tea and chew it over.

Biglines
15-07-10, 22:43
think u only need 2005, as thats what they linked to in the post

MrTrip
16-07-10, 00:28
Wait, NC in Linux is broken again?

Biglines
16-07-10, 00:55
Wait, NC in Linux is broken again?
who knows, have to wait till after the patch, all we know is that we needed visual C++ 2005 runtime libraries, no idea why setlec said 2008

Brammers
16-07-10, 02:07
Looks like vcrun2005 MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries is what you are after.

Setlec
16-07-10, 09:09
strange couldn't make the game run with vc2005... but it worked with 2008, haven't looked into things...

Trillian
14-08-10, 19:51
Hi guys! For those who remember me.. I miss you!

(back to the original topic of the thread)

Not sure I'm qualified anymore to speak on the future of NC and I apologize if I have the details wrong.. but I’ve be away a while.

With NC 2 there was excitement. We finally got DoY. Hacknet and Regents became a reality. For a bit life started coming back to the game. Everyone was excited to explore the new areas.

Then EVO 2.1 came out and there was a skill reset. Many things were changed, but at least we didn't have to lom to reskill our characters. After that there was *another* skill reset with even more changes... and that's kinda when I stopped playing. I skilled my tradeskiller and APU but didn't bother with anything else.

I know all of the changes were meant to be for the good of the game, but IMO some of them are what helped kill it. The game is no longer the same Neocrack that I became addicted to. When I log in I'm only reminded that nothing is the same. Most of the role players left for greener pastures. Everything became more of a red = dead mentality.

At this point I’m not sure that NC can be saved. But I think it may help if they returned to the basics the game was founded on.

MrTrip
14-08-10, 20:03
Hi guys! For those who remember me.. I miss you!

(back to the original topic of the thread)

Not sure I'm qualified anymore to speak on the future of NC and I apologize if I have the details wrong.. but I’ve be away a while.

With NC 2 there was excitement. We finally got DoY. Hacknet and Regents became a reality. For a bit life started coming back to the game. Everyone was excited to explore the new areas.

Then EVO 2.1 came out and there was a skill reset. Many things were changed, but at least we didn't have to lom to reskill our characters. After that there was *another* skill reset with even more changes... and that's kinda when I stopped playing. I skilled my tradeskiller and APU but didn't bother with anything else.

I know all of the changes were meant to be for the good of the game, but IMO some of them are what helped kill it. The game is no longer the same Neocrack that I became addicted to. When I log in I'm only reminded that nothing is the same. Most of the role players left for greener pastures. Everything became more of a red = dead mentality.

At this point I’m not sure that NC can be saved. But I think it may help if they returned to the basics the game was founded on.

GOOD LORD

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING! butnobodylistenstomebcauseidon'thavepantsingamethatarenamedafterme *cough* and yes, I wore them on test server...

Do you see any of the players that WANTED these changes still playing? NO. THEY ALL LEFT.

Trillian
14-08-10, 20:12
HAH! I'd forgotten all about those! I almost killed the person who did it. I would love it if someone could come up with a screen shot of them for me...

MrTrip
14-08-10, 20:24
HAH! I'd forgotten all about those! I almost killed the person who did it. I would love it if someone could come up with a screen shot of them for me...

I have that somewhere, and I have a screen shot of mavens dildo? o_O

I'll find it and post it up for you when I get home.

Dribble Joy
14-08-10, 20:40
butnobodylistenstome

No-one listens to me too, doesn't mean either of us are right.

I still strongly disagree that the changes made to NC over the years have been for the worse.

NC1 was new, shiny and different, but it was horribly unbalanced, many classes were flat out broken.

NC2 was better overall but wrecked individuality within each class (exec PEs anyone?).

The overall style of the game hasn't changed, implementation of changes and specific balance issues may have marred the experience, but not enough in my eyes to seriously detract from the experience.
Pro vs Anti only catalysed the growing red=dead sentimentality that was already there.

The community has always made NC, with time, even if KK had the resources to keep things fresh, they would slowly leave and this has a compound effect. People make NC what it is and they 'killed' it too.

Strife
15-08-10, 08:09
Only thing that ever killed cron for me was the small population, granted DoY was the most underwhelming, and disappointing expansion or even 'new game area' in the history of MMO's. A small confusing maze. In the end though, after all the games i've played in 13 years of PC gaming, i'd play Cron over any.

IIRC there were supposed to be 4 expansion areas, I think one was in space too, and another in Tokyo. This was announced, or discussed way back in '01 or early '02, so my memory is a bit sketchy Just a little interesting FYI :P

Danae might remember more about it.

Conduit
15-08-10, 22:33
IMO the change that saw the biggest culling of people was the removal of the city safe zones in Neocron and the scattering of faction HQs.
A big chunk of people wanted to be able to socialize together without being forced to PVP all the time, & there was no real place where factions could gather safely & just tradeskill & talk shit. At least in the city you had some zones to run around and do things without being on your guard all the time.
People are different, & if you force them to play a kind of game that they don't want to play, then they're not going to hang around & keep paying subs.

DoY was the most underwhelming, and disappointing expansion or even 'new game area' in the history of MMO's. A small confusing maze. In the end though, after all the games i've played in 13 years of PC gaming, i'd play Cron over any.

Yep. DoY was a little disappointing for me too. Too maze-like and disjointed. It might have been better to have sections of the city work in a similar way as outposts; conquerable by clans, or maybe factions, that then give a useful bonus.

Also the new models that came with NC 2, were in a lot of peoples opinion, far inferior to the original ones.

Ah well, easy to say it with hindsight I guess.

I've been playing online games since 1998, and video games for at least 35 years, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the most fun I ever had was NC 1.

MrTrip
15-08-10, 23:15
I've been playing online games since 1998, and video games for at least 35 years, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the most fun I ever had was NC 1.

Agreed. I loved NC1. I had so much fun there, and there was ALWAYS somebody trading, poking, csting, researching, repping, whatever you needed in P1. It was a big family and everything was FUN. There was ALWAYS action in game and never a dull moment.

Bring back NC1 fools. (I know, will never happen, go kick rocks Trip)

L0KI
16-08-10, 10:19
Bring back NC1 fools. (I know, will never happen, go kick rocks Trip)

Agreed! :)

To me, it's less about the balance and statistical perfection, and more about the fun factor. It's a game after alll; one that needs a boost, in some form.

Bring back the fun that was NC1.
Blocky graphics, the ability to change my outfit colour to pimp-purple... the works.

Strife
16-08-10, 11:23
nurse pokie, best poker in cron!

phunqe
16-08-10, 15:57
NC1 ftw indeed.

<sniff>

illmatic
19-08-10, 01:22
NC1 was the shit. Re-balance destroyed all

Strife
19-08-10, 02:33
Part of what wrecked what neocron also was all the leveling exploits too. I mean, you don't have anyone to blame but yourself, but when the best and easiest way to lvl is exploit something so easy like AoE droning, it's hard to turn down 3x faster leveling. MB bunker used to be a cool place to hang out to lvl at, or even pk. Oz storage, pp sewers, etc. Farming the big cyclops in one of the outzones was good fun too.

gamefreak
19-08-10, 04:06
Part of what wrecked what neocron also was all the leveling exploits too. I mean, you don't have anyone to blame but yourself, but when the best and easiest way to lvl is exploit something so easy like AoE droning, it's hard to turn down 3x faster leveling. MB bunker used to be a cool place to hang out to lvl at, or even pk. Oz storage, pp sewers, etc. Farming the big cyclops in one of the outzones was good fun too.

That's true. The fact that lvling for some classes or LvLs isn't working just adds to this.

Nc is just broken in some areas, but KK always failed fixing them or broke other things. :mad:

Garfield
19-08-10, 12:23
isnt it possible to move the accs from the 4slot german server to terra and setup a NC1 classic server instead?

Gau
19-08-10, 12:27
looool good idear there garff

however they did that they may as well close the other
servers all together as ppl would all play an the clasic NC1 server
loooool

Biglines
19-08-10, 14:06
looool good idear there garff

however they did that they may as well close the other
servers all together as ppl would all play an the clasic NC1 server
loooool
lol, I don't think people would want to start all over again.

plus, moving chars from mars to a new terra account means 2x payment when payment would start again.. (not that I have a mars char, but most people playing nc do)

zii
19-08-10, 17:43
Eh?! I'd rather play NC 2.2. Overall it is far better than NC1.

The reason NC1 was more enjoyable than the current NC is that the current population is far lower.

Reminisce: I remember some hellish roll-backs on NC1, and plenty of imbalance, but I did enjoy watching a PE firing a CS and a bright red tank PA and the item drop to the floor was far better than the drop to quick-belt. It made you think twice afore you fought.

I think NC2.2 is a far better game. The hansters are a different matter.

Biglines
19-08-10, 17:48
Eh?! I'd rather play NC 2.2. Overall it is far better than NC1.

The reason NC1 was more enjoyable than the current NC is that the current population is far lower.

Reminisce: I remember some hellish roll-backs on NC1, and plenty of imbalance, but I did enjoy watching a PE firing a CS and a bright red tank PA and the item drop to the floor was far better than the drop to quick-belt. It made you think twice afore you fought.

I think NC2.2 is a far better game. The hansters are a different matter.
nostalgia will always overpower reason regretfully, especially as the current situation sucks because of the pop

Gau
19-08-10, 17:52
i do agree with that big

however i still say the monks of NC1 were better and more un than the new
versions

Biglines
19-08-10, 19:35
i do agree with that big

however i still say the monks of NC1 were better and more un than the new
versions
oh I'm sure there's tons and tons of stuff that was better in nc1, but there probably is just as much that was way suckier back then

Garfield
20-08-10, 02:48
lets face it and thats been said now million times, 2.2 err the balancing fucked nc up and the cheats/xploits killed it

well the com killed it.....

Apocalypsox
20-08-10, 08:16
nah, it was dead prior. NC2 never quite took off after the launch problems, a lot of the NC1 pop just left. and never came back.

thats why we need new people. game needs revamped and then advertising ramped up.

Biglines
20-08-10, 09:20
lets face it and thats been said now million times, 2.2 err the balancing fucked nc up and the cheats/xploits killed it

well the com killed it.....
personally I think KK completely abandoning NC killed it, balancing fuck up is caused by not doing the things they promised to do, which is use the new system to balance things on the fly. Cheat/exploits are still around because they haven't bothered to update the game in 4 years, and GM are virtually non-existent, or have absolutely no knowledge or power to help. Yes now they made an anti cheat patch, and that's great, but personally I think it's too little and too late, especially now it's been rolled back again and it's probably not going to happen any time soon (and of course with 0 communication from KK about it)

William Antrim
20-08-10, 09:37
Agreed! :)

To me, it's less about the balance and statistical perfection, and more about the fun factor. It's a game after alll; one that needs a boost, in some form.

Bring back the fun that was NC1.
Blocky graphics, the ability to change my outfit colour to pimp-purple... the works.

Take a populations of 300 plus at peak times (weekends - CET evenings), stir in a bloke called Matt something, add a smattering of people from Syndicate, a few german clans and leave to simmer at Krupp Factory for 30 minutes and bang, you have your nc1 all over again. This game doesnt need huge populations because then you'd need instanced levelling areas so that people wouldnt be fighting over who's loot it was.

Anything above 300-400 people would make NC rock all over again. If they get to the "thousands of players online" that nc1 boxed set promised personally I would soil myself in excitement.

Biglines
20-08-10, 11:13
Anything above 300-400 people would make NC rock all over again. If they get to the "thousands of players online" that nc1 boxed set promised personally I would soil myself in excitement.
personally, I'd be happy with 100-150 people, because although there are usually almost 50 people online, there's only 2 or 3 active op clans, and most of the other people online are speedleveling (to put it mildly ;))

Nikabolokov
20-08-10, 16:15
NC 1 was and still is the most fun I have ever had in any game. I look back fondly on it.

Have to say it, but the thing that killed the game, was the way community was viewed, outside of the game. I tried to get a lot of people to play, or people to come back who had tried it.

They wouldn't, purely down to the community.

Even talking to people now about it, I hear people say ' oh that was the game with the horrendous community'.

Placido
20-08-10, 17:19
We have 3 servers. Isn't it possible to patch one server back to NC1?
I think, there will be no problem. You have seen it with patch 174...
So KK can start patching from the beginning to install for example woc pa's and weapons, 3D models, ...
Would this not be easier instead of trying to save a ruined game?

Brammers
20-08-10, 17:23
Odd, I wouldn't have described the NC community as being horrendous. I think it is one of the best gaming communities, and I've been fortunate to meet some of them in RL as well.

And the times in NC, I will remember some great times. I think some of the moments on Pluto in NC1 I will remember as the best of all. I don't think to date, I've found anything that bears or even beats Neocron's gaming atmosphere. (Although I'll admit, Borderlands does come close.)

As for what I think NC needs:-

1. Get the broken cheat-patch to be fixed and released, and fix the servers so they don't crash every 10 minutes.
2. Some new content and some balance fixes to some classes. *Cough* APU's *Cough*
3. Look at a possible proper F2P model for Neocron.
4. Get KK to commit to working on Neocron long-term.

My list is a lot longer than that, bit those are some of the more pressing issues IMHO.

Brammers
20-08-10, 17:53
We have 3 servers. Isn't it possible to patch one server back to NC1?
I think, there will be no problem. You have seen it with patch 174...
So KK can start patching from the beginning to install for example woc pa's and weapons, 3D models, ...
Would this not be easier instead of trying to save a ruined game?

We are sort of at a "NC1 patch level" now.

The big change from NC1 to NC2 was the Red vs Blue faction changes. This was reverted back in patch 167-168. (aka The F6 patch (http://www.techhaven.org/resources/nc2-patch-notes/patch-167-168.html)) and every Faction moved their HQ's back to their old homes.

The only thing that hasn't changed back is the Faction HQ's are still safe zones. Anyone from NC1 miss those faction HQ raids?

Neocron 2.1 was a big graphics and content upgrade.

Balancing, well whatever you go back to, something will be overpowered or need nerfing. Monks have been nerfed left, right and centre since NC1 (And for the right reasons too.)

However I feel APU's need a little more love. During NC2.2 testing I though APU's was just right, but that changed to make APU's not very playable now.

MC tanks need a look at as well, and the one weapon I hear the most complaints about being overpowered is the Disruptor.

So IMHO, the 2.2 patch was right, just KK stopped working on the follow up work to keep balancing the game.

As for the old NC1 character models, yes I prefer the old look of them. My NC1 characters and their profiles did go with their NC1 in-game looks. However a few of my characters that I made in NC2 go better with their NC2 models...it's more of an RP thing to me.

However I'm all for KK bringing back the old models back, so long as they update the quality of them to bring them into line with the quality of the NC2 models. If that happens, I'll be first in line to meet a GM with my APU monk get her NC1 long purple trench-coat and the NC1 red hair look back. :)

Nikabolokov
20-08-10, 18:04
I never saw much of it myself either, had some great times with some good people, sadly lost touch with most of them now :(

Started on Uranus, crazy hybrids included, Keithzz and Neo were just :o
Took Loki on his first vehicle ride(lost it in a lake !)
Had a superb few months on the French server with LTA and Opti, Venus was it?

From the first minute I tried the beta I was hooked, superb atmosphere, great pvp, always something to do or some where to go and fight.

Sadly, I don't play anymore although I could. I came back for a brief stint a while back, levelled a few characters to WoC quietly.

Just doesn't have the same appeal to me now.

Neallys
21-08-10, 10:19
We are nowhere near NC1. Surprisingly only a few can remember why Neocron1 was good and why 2.2 is actually the most unbalanced patch that ever happened to Neocron.

Speed cap at 75agl/75ath, aim capped at 75wep and 100 for rifles. PvP-wise these settings were opening a very wide variety of setups meaning you could play a spy with an exec/slasher, a PE with a paineaser/wyattearp or a judge or making yourself weaker but using ROLH/exec/slasher, melee tanks and heavy tanks making sense as they would spare their extra points into constitution, and monks well, APU were a bit overpowered but it was less of a problem than overpowered classes we do have now.

The situation we got now, that's the most unbalanced PvP we had since beta release.

Biglines
21-08-10, 13:22
The situation we got now, that's the most unbalanced PvP we had since beta release.
Don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that it's unbalanced. But the reason for that is that KK made a patch that they said would allow balancing easily (the underlying structure was made easier), but then when they only put out the system, they stopped before actually balancing anything.

but tbh, nc will never get new people unless the game is totally redone in terms of engine and graphics (and with engine also lose the buggy 2-engine combination that causes most of the fatals).

Let's face it, even when the game became free, there was only a month or so of 15%, that dropped down to 4 before long, and to 1-3% only a month or two ago. The patch making people believe something finally happened brought back a lot of people for a while again, but those have left again, leaving the pvp scene, the opscene and the trader scene even more barren than before.

William Antrim
21-08-10, 19:28
NC1 was mostly better due to the populations. Everyone who looks back at it talks about how good this class was or that event was but point blank everyone of us here at the time whined like mad about parashock and monkocron. I know plenty of people who quit over it. Whether it was more varied then than it is now and with less cheaters etc blah blah, the bottom line is it was better because we had more people.

We all bitched moaned and complained about the things we wanted fixing but we look back so fondly because we had so much fun then because we had loads more players.

Richard Slade
21-08-10, 20:17
The community is elitistic.
But that worked as long as KK stopped messing stuff up.
How many times did they get screwed over by being bought up and dropped?
Today, with an engine worthy of.. Well the last 10 years.. MANY had flocked around a PvP focused, non-fantasy MMO with FPS influences and hardcore riskVreward

But no.
KK thought the success of EvE would be something to try and ride on.
And that's where we went to hell.

MJS dropped us like a prom night dumpster baby and that's why we're here today.

Sadly the truth is that I've been around MMOs daily since NC (It's my job nowadays) and.. There's no community like NC. The fact that we're still here, some even playing, a game that's been dead for a long long time, talking crap on the forums and not going pants-on-head-retarded without mods just goes to show what we had.
It was unique, it was special, it was amazing and it's not something we try to deny or forget (Like ever touching WoW...)
We're proud of Neocron, we're proud of having been part of it.
And KK threw that love and loyalty away. On a EvE wannabe that will bomb.
I know it will, most do. Space games are a niche in itself. Space action even more. Space MMOs even more so. EvE lives on not being a pew pew zomg action game but being intelligent, social and more of a anarchistic social experiment in group dynamics.
Black P is not that.

And it hurts.
It really does. Because of all the games, all the hours and all the long nights, Neocron is the only one that warms my heart and forces out a nostalgic tear in my eye when I think about it.
And KK threw that away.

FoMK is still around for some reason, PlanetSide is getting a sequel, other clones are popping up, popularity rises as eSports gets more and more room,
FPS's, MMO's, competitive sports, it's all big and growing.
And KK went off to make a space MMO.

Sorry, this became a long post. But it's a lot of love and a broken heart..
And I'm still here. After 7 years. Speaking of it like it was the girl who gave me my first blowjob...

Dr Phil
21-08-10, 22:57
Holy shit Richard Slade.. That was probably the most intelligent thing ive seen on this forum, ever..

Very good job describing most of us (ex) NC lovers feelings, about the whole deal with NC/BP, and KK...

Uh btw, didnt know that Planetside was gonna get a sequel.. Sounds interesting - Planetside was a VERY enjoyable game IMO :D
Is there a release date yet?

-zero-
22-08-10, 14:11
Ya its gonna be called Planetside Next, No release date, but SOE ceo or w/e has released the information about its in the works, Just do a search for it. lots of post out there =) cant wait my self. Thats what im wasting my time on till NC gets fixed lol

Vampyre Mike
22-08-10, 19:38
I hope it somehow picks back up again with a larger community, the largest on Tera I've seen is 4%. I think if they tweaked the game a bit and made it free to play with some kind of easy way to make an account we would most likely have more people.

Biglines
22-08-10, 20:17
I hope it somehow picks back up again with a larger community, the largest on Tera I've seen is 4%. I think if they tweaked the game a bit and made it free to play with some kind of easy way to make an account we would most likely have more people.
what good would it do KK to have more people? it only costs them more in bandwidth and support

nobby
22-08-10, 23:04
Had KK gone through with it's Asian Release, Neocron could well have had a future since every game come rain or shit appeals to them ...

Why they haven't given Neocron to anyone to attempt revivification I don't know.

And why KK is relying on Black prophecy for the Company's Push back into this world :rolleyes:

From everything we have heard, black prophecy will be a "massive space MMO" of instances.

I can see the game turning straight into Global Agenda... (If you got tricked into spending 40 quid on that crap say aye)

Why are we even here still?

We should all just disappear for 6 months to make a point tbh

Biglines
22-08-10, 23:42
We should all just disappear for 6 months to make a point tbh

bye, some of us are still here because we actually enjoy spending time with some of the people on nc.

nobby
23-08-10, 00:06
There's MSN for that

MrTrip
23-08-10, 01:07
There's MSN for that

If we book it for 6 months, KK will just shrug and shut off NC servers and make them into BP servers.

When did this sound like a good idea?

Vampyre Mike
23-08-10, 03:20
I hope they keep it running and do some minor adjustments on occasion. Now that I have an acct for the third time ;)

Biglines
23-08-10, 10:27
There's MSN for that
dunno what you define spending time as, but it's obvious you don't even play the game anymore

William Antrim
23-08-10, 15:48
Actually prior to quitting I know a lot of people who logged into nc purely to say hi to their "friends" on trade chat or ooc. There were nights with endless banter over ooc where you could actually enjoy a conversation without the flaming/arguments/bitching but sadly as populations dwindle so does the intelligent life still frequenting the forums/game.

I have not played in a long time but I still come here hoping for the day when they say NC is back, come and play again!

Sadly I can't bring myself to deal with the hackers and cheaters. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have left.

Setlec
23-08-10, 17:17
Actually prior to quitting I know a lot of people who logged into nc purely to say hi to their "friends" on trade chat or ooc. There were nights with endless banter over ooc where you could actually enjoy a conversation without the flaming/arguments/bitching but sadly as populations dwindle so does the intelligent life still frequenting the forums/game.

I have not played in a long time but I still come here hoping for the day when they say NC is back, come and play again!

Sadly I can't bring myself to deal with the hackers and cheaters. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have left.
well that's exactly the very same thought that i've about the game, i couldn't say that in a better way!

Biglines
23-08-10, 19:50
The majority has left, although there are still a few left. Luckily they are no longer supported by a big clan, so in generally they are easier to deal with, and at the moment evidence is being collected that hopefully will be enough to deal with those last stragglers.

Genji
23-08-10, 21:37

NC is back, come and play again!

zii
23-08-10, 22:38
but sadly as populations dwindle so does the intelligent life still frequenting the forums/game.

I resent this! O_o

Anyway, like Genji said, come back.

And take our OPs while you are at it.

Garfield
24-08-10, 09:21
The majority has left, although there are still a few left. Luckily they are no longer supported by a big clan, so in generally they are easier to deal with, and at the moment evidence is being collected that hopefully will be enough to deal with those last stragglers.

dude it looks like they wont believe us....

ye there are a few cheating leftovers but these hrm mby5 players arent a big deal anymore