PDA

View Full Version : The higher science of PvP - your conclusions

surreviver
14-05-10, 15:28
Hi guys,

as PvP is actually one of the core components and strengths of Neocron, I want to know about your fighting style. There are various aspects which form a good PvP player. At this point, I'm interested in your experiences as 1on1 fighters and random PvP players (no outpost fights). The classical street fights 7 years ago took place in Pepper Park 1 and now they have moved to Plaza 2. For my question, it doesn't matter which type of character you play (except droners). I wanted to know about general combat tactics and choices. So these are my points for a PvP fight:

player aiming (mouse control skill in connection with runner movement)
runner aiming (weapon lore/focussing as some chars can have better aiming subskills)
tactical movement
armor/resists setup
weapon choice

I've seen many fighters, who are playing very differently. That's why I'm studying the aspects of a good PvP tactic. Here are my thoughts for the points:

player aiming: depends on combat training and mouse setup (high DPI, good weight and so on). What interests me, is the question: do you fight in 1st person or 3rd person?

runner aiming: the point here is the difference of Tank and Spy/PE. As Tanks can't get up high in weapon lore (e.g. 87 for a capped Tank), their aiming needs to be different. Do you think this affects the personal combat skill? If yes, do you have special tactics for aiming with your preferred character?

tactical movement: this is one of the important points. I'm interested in your movement - do you use circle strafe or a special dodge technique? Or do you keep side strafing/crouching when fighting?

armor/resists setup: energy belts/armors may be the first choice. But when you see your opponent, do you change armor quickly in order to get better resists? Or do you have a special resists setup, for example full energy CON resists combined with a fire belt (depends on character class)?

weapon choice: do you fight with only one weapon? Or do you switch weapons in combat in order to give different damage types?

I'm very curious about your opinions and I hope some of you will answer my thoughts ;)

Greetings

Neallys
15-05-10, 17:37
* player aiming: I use a low-sensitivity setup with a bigger mouse pad. Mouse-accel is my enemy. And I'm fighting in 3rd person.

* runner aiming: First of all, the fact that aim is different on a tank strictly doesn't depend on weapon-lore, as most PvP players will cap their weapon's aim. Class and weapons themselves define it. I always played better on a tank, or people say so. Special-tactics for aiming? Not that I am aware of :p

* tactical movement: I tend to strafe with symmetric moves on my spy, and I randomly strafe with crouching periods on my tank.

* armor/resists setup: I'm always going with a setup I don't need to change, so mainly energy/piercing/fire oriented, but I'm getting other resists as well

* weapon choice: on a spy that wears something else than holo vest, I would say you go with two dizzies/two AK combos (energy for spies, and piercing for tanks that is). On my tank it is mostly dev for everyone and ionic for tanks.

All these mentioned points above just always depend on what character you are playing.

zii
15-05-10, 18:08
Aiming : Usually 3d mode, unless I am sniping.
Tactics: try and keep target locked and fire when ready.
Con: I would not post my con set-up. I don't want people to smirk.

I don't really have any specific tactic other than trying to keep track of what is going on around me, and attempting to predict what the opponent may do.

surreviver
31-05-10, 21:04
Wow, thank you for your answers guys! This is really helpful and I think you two brought it to the point! I was away for some days and playing a spy still remains difficult to me. I think it will be lots of practicing but it's definitely fun!

Thanks again for your answers! I look forwarding seeing you in a Plaza 2 fight ;-)