PDA

View Full Version : Do resists still work?

Schlockmeister
20-03-10, 00:43
There was a time where putting points into them didn't do anything.
Do they work now? I'm looking at resist fire and poison in particular.
Thanks!

Dribble Joy
20-03-10, 01:04
Yes they do. You may not notice huge changes with only a few points though.

Schlockmeister
20-03-10, 02:01
Thanks.
I'm thinking of putting around 50 into fire and about 25 into poison.

LiL T
09-06-10, 19:15
Natural resists seem to work good but armour seems to do very little imo, if you only put 50 in fire and 25 in poison you will die fast.

Dr Phil
10-06-10, 07:00
Pff one of my most lethal chars (lowtech tank) got 15 fire, 75 energy, 0 xray, 25 poison specced..

He do just fine, especially at opfights.
Only the few very skilled players are a problem for that char, well and of course the strange dev tanks that somehow hits every shot :rolleyes:

extract
11-06-10, 04:56
Natural resists seem to work good but armour seems to do very little imo, if you only put 50 in fire and 25 in poison you will die fast.

I would totally agree that armor resists are just plain either bugged or non existent

ever seen what a energy wep does to an apu with hvy nrg belt and blessed spirit armor?
i mean technically with the energy resists on that armor alone its well over 200 with pa and my apu personally has some natural energy resist specced as well

resists are a funky game

Dr Phil
11-06-10, 06:19
I actually disagree about the armor resists..
Back when i had some kind of resists on my regant PA spy, if people shot me at my mid-body i could take like 6-8 dissy bursts, because of that energy belt.

"stop using damage reducing hax!" .... :lol:

Biglines
11-06-10, 11:28
I would totally agree that armor resists are just plain either bugged or non existent

ever seen what a energy wep does to an apu with hvy nrg belt and blessed spirit armor?
i mean technically with the energy resists on that armor alone its well over 200 with pa and my apu personally has some natural energy resist specced as well

resists are a funky game
note that armour resists aren't +skill, they are a different method of reducing damage, if you're interested I think StevenJ has a post about the damage equations somewhere

Dr Phil
11-06-10, 12:15
note that armour resists aren't +skill, they are a different method of reducing damage, if you're interested I think StevenJ has a post about the damage equations somewhere
Ah yes, thats true. Guess not everyone noticed the discussion about the subject back then.
I tend to forget that not everyone is as much a forum whore as myself :lol:

Biglines
11-06-10, 13:54
it wasnt stevenJ but Mighty Max: http://desperate-programmers.com/2008/07/25/neocron-resistance-calculation-and-how-it-really-works-part-i/

Dr Phil
11-06-10, 14:48
Ah, thanks for the linky..
God i hate numbers.. Thank god for Nskill :D

LiL T
16-06-10, 03:08
I don't think the armour resists are bugged I just think the numbers they put on the armour is misleading. They definitely work but not the same way, as biglines said, they add much less than natural resist does. Or maybe its too do with some capping point we are not yet aware of? Well I know that having say 75+ natural resist makes a big difference but if you was to have the same in armour and no natural resist it will seem like you have no resist at all...

The only way to work it out is in NF and testing it and that needs time, you would have to test armour and then natural resist at the same amounts and using a pure damage type weapon.

/edit sorry but I don't like all that math crap, I'd much rather go in NF and test shot by shot to find the caps if there are any or the point were health and resists balance out perfectly.

/edit 2 So I'm make images to better describe the resist curve they had before the patch that changed everything again... In NC1 it was weird but in NC 2 is became a little more simple but both were similar. For instance in NC2 before they changed it all, the soft cap seemed to be 112 if I remember the number correctly... Basically armour and natural resists worked the same as each other at that time, you total 112 then it would flat line but there was a point at around 90+ to 100 that it made more effect but soon as it got to 112 is flatlined and then made hardly any difference, I know because my clan tested it shot by shot.

Now though we have hard caps on each class... So a monk has a hard cap lower and much lower than a tank and then we have armour resists acting differently than natural resists. So its much harder now to figure out, each class will now be different.

[K1]Luke
18-06-10, 11:15
In all fairness mate, with the amount of modified files floating around I doubt that putting any points into resists will even help anymore, at least against players. Still helpful against Mobs (despite the fact mobs will one shot you if you're not careful)

extract
19-06-10, 05:28
I have no fucking idea what any of that web page means, i mean really what? you need to have a freaking masters in rocket science to figure out how to spec your character right? and the way he like talks about it like its nothing(which it probably isnt) it just outright offensive! i feel plain stupid(as my dumbass no schooling redneck ass should)

can someone please for the love of god decipher that madness into a potato head type language for us underacheivers, dropouts, and just plain lazies?

much thanks

danmalone
19-06-10, 12:30
I'll try get StevenJ to come explain it ;)

CMaster
21-06-10, 18:48
Psi Resists, graphed
Resists + armour, graphed
Health, though the graphs have gone
People have since reverse-engineered the formula (or a close approximation of) which is some of what that blog is about, but a glance at the graphs should tell you what you need to know. Also, some of the advice in those threads are out of date.

As for how the four levels of resists (psi resist, shield, armour, health)come together - they just multiply together.
So if your armour lets 60% of damage through and your resists also lets 60% through then total damage is 0.6*0.6 = 0.36 - 36% of the original weapon damage - you'd last approximately 3 times as long as you would naked and resist less.