PDA

View Full Version : character selection & setups

extract
01-03-10, 22:46
I am just wondering if anyone knows if there is any influence on stats regarding character professions/gender?

for instance: I have a female rifle spy who is an assassin & a male pistol spy who is a rigger, both my spies have identical setups just one is pistol and one is rifle, my female rifle spy seems faster, and seems to take alot less dmg than the male counterpart.

another thing I am wondering about is the athletics and agility and which one affects runspeed more

my tank without his gun out and no drugs seems like flying warp speed and he has only 15 more ath and actually LESS agility than my spies(when my spies are drugged) albeit only like 5 less but still its insane the difference in speed I can see when i play the different characters.

this just makes me confused because I am starting to wonder if there is just more than numbers at play here in determining a viable character setup, like choosing a rigger profession but then lomming to pc would he be more likely to take more damage and be slower than if he chose the infiltrator profession?

has anyone done any research on this?

Biglines
01-03-10, 22:56
classes influences effects of certain skills, never heard of female/male differences (but I only have male chars), and professions don't matter, professions only cause a difference in the mr Jones mission

[K1]Luke
02-03-10, 00:50
If you have the exact same setup but one is running faster, odds are it's because of the model. A bigger model will run slower than a small one. If you've played warcraft you'll know that Taurens and Trolls run really slow (like jogging) and gnomes will sprint, although both are the same speed.

What I mean is, they are running the same speed but the way the legs move make you think they are faster/slower

Aeon Blur
02-03-10, 02:09
No, extract, you're not the only one that's noticed this. :)

What I've noticed is that athletics *seems* to make a larger difference in runspeed when agility AND transport have nearly identical values. As for the genders/professions within the same class, I really cant say. It doesnt seem to matter which profession you choose after Jones leaves ya (& dammit, it should).
That said, I imagine your tank has a higher base+TRA than your spies and that's what's making the runspeed curve so different. Also, his gun weighs _alot_ more when out.

The funky thing about the way NC figures these curves, as most of us have seen, is that small variations in the right place makes larger differences than we might expect.
ATH ftw.

extract
02-03-10, 04:09
@ luke they both wear female spy holo pa and wouldnt explain how my even larger tank still seems incredibly faster even with just slightly more ath but I know where youre coming from totally

@ aeon, are you suggesting that runspeed is affected by transport as well in terms of the more u carry the slower u are?

I mean I know that for instance when u are weighted ie. when your free weight reaches yellow there is a dramatic difference, and when its red u cant move at all, but are you saying that even if u are not weighted at all, but still have some free weight before it hits "yellow" u run slower than if you carried nothing at all?

and also this would make some sense, considering my rifle spy DOES have more transport than my pistol spy as she carries 3 aks and ammo to cover which is considerably heavier than an ion and 2 bhgs If thats indeed the case Ill have no problem taking both of them to full transport considering the 75 each have in peircing seems to do fuck all good vs prc weps anyways, id prefer runspeed over resists on all my chars anyday

thanks for the insight

Aeon Blur
02-03-10, 12:49
@ aeon, are you suggesting that runspeed is affected by transport as well in terms of the more u carry the slower u are?
Sort of. My understanding is that runspeed is a balance between Base, TRA, ATH & AGL. Where two are nearly even, the greatest visible difference will be in bringing up the smaller stat--in this case, TRA. Similar to the way wep damage is calc'd, to my mind.
I wish I could find the formula in the threads that I read once, but its late & I'm tired. ANyway, it probably runs along this line:
Runspeed = (Base + TRA)/(AGL + ATH)
Something like that.

I mean I know that for instance when u are weighted ie. when your free weight reaches yellow there is a dramatic difference, and when its red u cant move at all, but are you saying that even if u are not weighted at all, but still have some free weight before it hits "yellow" u run slower than if you carried nothing at all?
SLightly slower, yes--for all classes. But, as tanks have more TRA (usually), this "load" is less noticable until _really_ loaded or unloaded.

and also this would make some sense, considering my rifle spy DOES have more transport than my pistol spy as she carries 3 aks and ammo to cover which is considerably heavier than an ion and 2 bhgs If thats indeed the case Ill have no problem taking both of them to full transport considering the 75 each have in peircing seems to do fuck all good vs prc weps anyways, id prefer runspeed over resists on all my chars anyday
Well... in PvE, that's probably a good enough plan. I mean, tactics make up for alot in here. PvP tho, it depends on who you're fighting really imo. For me, I sacrifice force resist before PCR.

thanks for the insight
I just hope it helps. Really tho, try to find the runspeed formula in the aging posts for the real deal. I was looking in the 2.2 balance discussion archive, where the majority of the changes we have today come from. I just couldnt find the thread/formula that explains it.

--Aeon

Dr Phil
02-03-10, 17:16
TRA affects runspeed..? :wtf:

My tank had 0 TRA, when he was at his runspeed peak, and he was fast enough to make 75% of NC miss every shot on him - WITH his weapon out..

If your telling me that i could have been faster with some TRA...? Im gonna /kill_self..
Lommed him to a very different setup because of the last 25% of the server.. There was like 3-4 tanks that could be a challenge, because of the 0 resists with the speed setup :(

Aeon Blur
02-03-10, 20:17
R.I.P. Doc, TRA does affect runspeed under load. :P
I really dont think I have this wrong guys, I just cant find the damn thread. rrgh.

But yeah, having 0 TRA means youve only got a few clips & a medkit in INV before it starts slowing you down more than it has to. Add a rec tool, your armor and a decent wep & you're already at the point where even 20 in tra will be noticeable no matter what your class. And lets face it, 4-12 more damage/shot in HC isnt going to get you much. But being able to run, shoot, loot & rec ammo at the same time ftw, I can tell you. heh
...where the hell is that damn thread....
But like anything NC, its an excercise in diminishing returns after a certain point & really depends on what you're doing and what--or who--youre fighting.

Biglines
02-03-10, 21:39
lol ofc if you dont have enough transport to actually carry your stuff you slow down...but as long as ur inv is light enough it really shouldn't make a difference

extract
02-03-10, 23:11
if what i was told is true and that u can lom in neofrag I will be testing this theory later when i can get ingame cause to me prc is worthless, even with 75 both my spies in holo pa die in less than 30 stacks of ak....with regeants pa is slightly better but, 75 lol and die like that is pointless, id rather have speed if tra really works

skarhead
25-03-10, 08:39
back when i used to play alot i had a good con set up for nc 1.1 just wondering what and how to get a good con set up for 2.2 for a tank any help would be appreiated.

Dr Phil
25-03-10, 08:57
back when i used to play alot i had a good con set up for nc 1.1 just wondering what and how to get a good con set up for 2.2 for a tank any help would be appreiated.
Depends on the setup you want to make..
There is the hardcore speed tanks (130+ ATL / 170+ AGL).
There is the tanky tanks, which are rather rare now.
There is the high damage tanks (270+ HC).

And then there is hybrids of the above..
I myself has 2 tanks.
One is a mix of speed and resists (about 100 ATL, 160AGL, good resists and 220 HC).
The other is a mix of speed and high damage (147ATL, about 170AGL, zero resists and 275HC).

As you might have noticed, speed is a big factor.. When you arent hit, resists really doesent matter..
I personally would never have bellow 100 ATL on a tank.
The reason why i have a resisting tank, is because somehow some people could hit me with every shot no matter how fast i was.. So thats my "anti strange, too good aiming dev tank" setup.

Kanedax
25-03-10, 12:35
98 ath, 160 agi, 300 hc WOOOO

Dr Phil
25-03-10, 19:17
98 ath, 160 agi, 300 hc WOOOO
Pfff lame, thats with PA.. My 275HC are without ;)