PDA

View Full Version : rumour: Blizzard MMOFPS

Torg
11-01-10, 20:35
RPS reports Blizzard developing a scifi MMOFPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/11/the-blizzard-mmofps/). a french gaming site broke the news. while i don't think this will be the end of NC, what do you think will that MMOFPS be like, and what are the strengths of neocron? What USP (unique selling proposition) will be left for NC after the hypothetical launch of that game?

Dr Phil
11-01-10, 21:07
Ehm.. Blizzard.... nuff said.

Well I hope that they will surprise me.. I dont expect much though.

Could be nice with a sci-fi MMOFPS that isnt shitty though :angel:

Dribble Joy
11-01-10, 21:49
This is Blizzard we are talking about. It will be a scifi version of WoW. More like Star Trek than Blade runner.

If anything it could actually help NC. More people would come into the MMO market since the high profile games would include a scifi version. Some of them may then find NC has to offer them more of what they want.

Matanius
12-01-10, 03:48
what are the strengths of neocron? What USP (unique selling proposition) will be left for NC after the hypothetical launch of that game?
The same Unique Selling Point that is left behind after just about every other Post-apoc/ rpg/fps / online game that seems to be even remotely similar to NC, is the fact that NC will still be going in a years time.
I'm not particularly well versed in MMO's at all so my opinion may well be null and void however it seems that every now and then a new game comes along/is in development that may well threaten NC but when is all is said and done the biggest difference is that NC is still going and this new fandangled MMO is dead/will be dead in a few months.

(I'm a tad drunk so my post is nowhere near as eloquent as I would like and as I have stated, nowhere near as informed as I would like. I'm just repeating what I have seen in my short time here)

Kanedax
12-01-10, 06:38
The same Unique Selling Point that is left behind after just about every other Post-apoc/ rpg/fps / online game that seems to be even remotely similar to NC, is the fact that NC will still be going in a years time.
I'm not particularly well versed in MMO's at all so my opinion may well be null and void however it seems that every now and then a new game comes along/is in development that may well threaten NC but when is all is said and done the biggest difference is that NC is still going and this new fandangled MMO is dead/will be dead in a few months.

(I'm a tad drunk so my post is nowhere near as eloquent as I would like and as I have stated, nowhere near as informed as I would like. I'm just repeating what I have seen in my short time here)

Matan, you dirty bastard. How are you!?

MrTrip
12-01-10, 10:45

But this is Blizzard...you know it will be advertised like a motherfucker. Pumped into everything we see, hear, eat! We won't be able to turn our backs without seeing BLIZZMMOFPSAHMYGOD

Kanedax
12-01-10, 21:29
Blizzard could actually pull this off. They make pretty good games and they've already got the younger demographic hooked in WoW so it doesn't make sense that they'd make a similar game in a different setting. If they decide to stay true to the FPS style of gaming this could turn out to be a great game.

Dr Phil
12-01-10, 22:14
They make pretty good games
BURN HERETIC!!! :p

Cromac
12-01-10, 23:16
Most FPS MMO's in development now seem more like online FPS games with a persistent world rather than the style neocron implements which is where neocron is still supreme in the FPS market IMO.

Peter Tran
12-01-10, 23:54
I trust blizzard with a sci fi game, and an mmorpg.

How well can they do both together?

Kanedax
13-01-10, 02:45
BURN HERETIC!!! :p

Haha, I mean who here that grew up in the 90s didn't play Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo. Diablo II was the main game that got me into PC gaming and online play. Before that I was mainly a console RPG fag.

Dribble Joy
13-01-10, 02:50
Haha, I mean who here that grew up in the 90s didn't play Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo.
Me...

Didn't have a PC as such (at least one not capable of game playing, it was my Dad's work comp) and I didn't have a console untill August this year.

MrTrip
13-01-10, 06:06
Haha, I mean who here that grew up in the 90s didn't play Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo. Diablo II was the main game that got me into PC gaming and online play. Before that I was mainly a console RPG fag.

I didn't play those games either. I hated them. They looked like crap to me.

Earthsiege, Starsiege, Tribes 1 and 2 kid here.

Kanedax
13-01-10, 07:07
I didn't play those games either. I hated them. They looked like crap to me.

Earthsiege, Starsiege, Tribes 1 and 2 kid here.

I miss Tribes so much.... :(

Dr Phil
13-01-10, 10:54
Me! :p
I had my good ol' playstation back then. :angel:

Setlec
14-01-10, 03:11

i only played Starcraft in 2k way after Dune game series, all star wars one (X-wing, Tie Fighter and etc), Battle Isle, Panzer General and Syndicate wars series. I could list all games before the day i play starcraft. Honnestly Blizzarsd did huge sucess with rpg/rts games. But i doubt that they will make a true MMOFPS. they are makers of click n' masturbate kinda of games... i mean you just have to select and push a key to use your magic spell or whatever.

Kanedax
14-01-10, 06:57
i only played Starcraft in 2k way after Dune game series, all star wars one (X-wing, Tie Fighter and etc), Battle Isle, Panzer General and Syndicate wars series. I could list all games before the day i play starcraft. Honnestly Blizzarsd did huge sucess with rpg/rts games. But i doubt that they will make a true MMOFPS. they are makers of click n' masturbate kinda of games... i mean you just have to select and push a key to use your magic spell or whatever.

My argument is that when they make games they make them very well. It may not be your style of game but their games are consistently at the top of their respective genre in terms of quality. If they decide to make a pure MMOFPS I'd be willing to bet money that it will easily be the best MMOFPS on the market at its release and for a while afterwards.

MrTrip
14-01-10, 10:50
I miss Tribes so much.... :(

I registered my Tribes2 account on 09/11/2001 while watching the news.

rob444
14-01-10, 13:43
Blizzard almost have unlimited resources after the successful MMORPG World of Warcraft and Blizzard never makes bad games afaik.
The funding and ideas are there mixed with the most successful game developer in the world.
This MMOFPS will no doubt be successful.
The only way for Neocron to die is when Reakktor decides to remove the game servers.

Biglines
14-01-10, 13:59
Blizzard never makes bad games afaik.
That depends on your definition of bad games, and taste. The only thing that can be factually said is that they haven't recently made unsuccessful games.

But yes, if like wow they try to make a already successful game (let's face it, wow is nothing new, it's just a better marketed and worked out version of any orc-elf-human mmo), and they base it on the game play of other games, they absolutely have the skill, money and reputation to make it a very good and enjoyable game, there will hardly be anything original in it though, so I'll stick to neocron and some other games like natural selection 2, whose originality I prefer over the mass-produced games which blizzard produce.

(I will be playing diablo 3, mostly because of nostalgia, but my guess is I'll drop it after one single player playthrough)

Setlec
14-01-10, 15:12
My argument is that when they make games they make them very well. It may not be your style of game but their games are consistently at the top of their respective genre in terms of quality. If they decide to make a pure MMOFPS I'd be willing to bet money that it will easily be the best MMOFPS on the market at its release and for a while afterwards.

Oh ok. In the quality term, starCraft was great can't say anything about the others games. WOW is something that i see when i go to my cousins house, they do play this game a lot but i don't like it at all. SWG was more rpg and fun than WOW. Well as for this rumour for a MMOFPS i'll wait and see what will happen.

Kanedax[/b]]I miss Tribes so much.... :(

What kind of game is it? Neve had the chance to play it....

Kanedax
15-01-10, 03:18
Oh ok. In the quality term, starCraft was great can't say anything about the others games. WOW is something that i see when i go to my cousins house, they do play this game a lot but i don't like it at all. SWG was more rpg and fun than WOW. Well as for this rumour for a MMOFPS i'll wait and see what will happen.

What kind of game is it? Neve had the chance to play it....

Its similar to planetside, and it is teh sex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes1

[K1]Luke
31-01-10, 13:10
HI KANE! Since I haven't seen you in-game for a few days I'll stick it on here while you're trolling. America trip is 25th June to 16th July so you going to be around between those dates?

That being said, if Blizzard launch this and offer 30 free days to people with activate battle.net warcraft accounts, odds are that's going to destroy Neocron. At the moment it's free to play but if Blizzard bring out a better game (which with all the current hacks and low poppulation there's a chance they might) all they have to do is give people a taste. Develop the game off the back of WoW, a free 30 day trial if you log in with your warcraft account it will be a great advertisement and, let's be honest, it's not going to make a dent in Blizzard's mass bank account. They can probably develop, host servers and employ staff with about 2 months worth of subscriptions from WoW.

Unless I'm wrong there's about 11 million active warcraft accounts, charging £8.99 a month for 2 months is £197,780,000. Now unless I'm completely oblivious to how much it takes to develop an MMO, I think there's enough money there to bring the game out and give everyone some free play time.

Biglines
31-01-10, 13:33
Luke']HI KANE! Since I haven't seen you in-game for a few days I'll stick it on here while you're trolling. America trip is 25th June to 16th July so you going to be around between those dates?

That being said, if Blizzard launch this and offer 30 free days to people with activate battle.net warcraft accounts, odds are that's going to destroy Neocron. At the moment it's free to play but if Blizzard bring out a better game (which with all the current hacks and low poppulation there's a chance they might) all they have to do is give people a taste. Develop the game off the back of WoW, a free 30 day trial if you log in with your warcraft account it will be a great advertisement and, let's be honest, it's not going to make a dent in Blizzard's mass bank account. They can probably develop, host servers and employ staff with about 2 months worth of subscriptions from WoW.

Unless I'm wrong there's about 11 million active warcraft accounts, charging £8.99 a month for 2 months is £197,780,000. Now unless I'm completely oblivious to how much it takes to develop an MMO, I think there's enough money there to bring the game out and give everyone some free play time.
certainly one that has less bugs than neocron and proper support, but dunno if the gameplay itself will be good, i think all other fps mmo's have so far been unable to be better than nc (or at least survive longer)