PDA

View Full Version : Neocron Pen&Paper RPG?

Koshinn
22-12-09, 12:45
Is there one? If not, would KK let me develop one for fun and either release it 100% for free or jointly market it?

Dribble Joy
22-12-09, 12:49
As far as I am aware there isn't one. I was thinking about modifying the Dark Heresy ruleset as a quick and simple community released project for a while now.

As for something involving KK, I'd main them directly about it.

pottburter
22-12-09, 13:07
Some time ago I "ported" the NC setting to D20 Modern rules for my rpg group. It was fun, the atmosphere was there.
But since i chose an existing rule set to use, I had to make a lot of compromises.

Take Monks for example: When you try to bring in Monks like they are in NC, you're reducing them to simple hack&heal. Further, the NC psi system simply can't be ported to D20. It's just not working allowing them to boost themself with Psi-boosters and being able to use their spell repertoire all over again. It makes them too unbalanced against the other characters.

There were lots of other topics to consider, but above was the first (and i think biggest) that came to my mind.

Of course, this can be completely different if you're going to create your own rpg system especially for this.
I went with D20 as it's one of the easiest and most open system out there, imho.

Cheers and good luck,
Pottburter

Koshinn
22-12-09, 13:28
As far as I am aware there isn't one. I was thinking about modifying the Dark Heresy ruleset as a quick and simple community released project for a while now.

As for something involving KK, I'd main them directly about it.

I was actually playing Dark Heresy today when I thought about NC. I was hacking into a ship's computer with my tech priest when I was like... THIS IS TOTALLY NEOCRON.

And it's not that I really need KK involvement, but I would like access to NC's fluff (faction quests and histories, NC time line, Item fluff, etc... basically the NC fluff bible) without having to do all the faction quests and epics and such.

And I wouldn't want to be shut down by KK or something after putting in tons of work.

I'd like to make a fully comprehensive book with an original ruleset and lots of NC fluff and background built in. I was thinking about one core rule set and 2 expansions. The core would revolve entirely around Neocron City itself without TG, CM, FA or DOY. It would be almost entirely cyberpunk.

The first expansion would add the wastelands and FA and TG (and the Canyon) and add the concept of outposts, areas like gaia mines and regent's, and focus on a larger scale than the core rules. Where the core game would be about your small group making it big in NC, the expansion would have more contact with the major corporations. You'd be basically a subcontractor (clan) working with a corporation like Biotech to provide security for a wasteland factory/production facility, engage in corporate espionage, search for new materials, etc.

The second expansion would add CM and DOY. Where core was about the "adventuring party" and the first expansion is about corporate warfare, the third is about full scale city vs city warfare. It would add actual military npcs, weapons, items, vehicles, skills and such to the game and be based around strategic and tactical combat between NC and DOY.

So basically as your characters get more powerful and influential, you add expansions to allow them greater challenges and rewards.

Thalagyrt
22-12-09, 23:00
If you can somehow get KK to go for it I'd buy it and run a game for sure. I've always liked pen and paper.

Koshinn
24-12-09, 16:21
How much would you limit yourselves to the MMO's mechanics when making a pen and paper version of NC?

I started off by doing that, but I've come to realize that it's kind of boring doing that.

Koshinn
01-01-10, 03:17
I'm actually going to remove fire, xray, poison and pierce resist, leaving only energy, physical and psi. I have a fairly original rule set up and working right now.

Turns in combat last two seconds in real time, haha.

Koshinn
02-01-10, 04:28
This is a very rough outline of what I'm planning on doing, I'm not doing it in any particular order, just in order of what I feel like. Preliminary feedback?

I already found some typos and errors since I made this post, such as the sudden usage of the term "initiative" and inconsistencies between if you are allowed to run and shoot in the same turn or not.

I haven't even touched droning, hacking or psi use yet, but I have some ideas.