PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Nobby has a serious Laptop Screen problem and I need your help

nobby
07-12-09, 21:19
Hi there, since I can't remember... couple months maybe?

Every time I had gone into standby and out again, my laptop screen would remain black and I could do nothing to rectify it, except restart.

I was watching videos, laptop went beep beep because of battery, stuck it into standby, went upstairs, plugged in and remembered the standby blackscreen problem.

Restarted.... black screen still on there :(

I've restarted... restarted... tried plugging in another monitor, doesn't seem to work because I don't think I have clone monitors enabled.

Sound works fine after logging in, so that's fine.

But no screen...

Websites suggest it is drivers I have installed, however that shouldn't affect the screen on bootup right?

What do you guys suggest I do :(

If anyone would be so kind to give me step by step instructions, I could try using new drivers.

I'd need instructions to access my computer, memory stick, drivers and what keypresses to install.

However if anyone can help otherwise, please do :)

Mighty Max
07-12-09, 21:49
I'd suggest carrying it to the service point

Biglines
07-12-09, 21:59
they'll just format it and reinstall windows, if anything, which you can do for yourself too (plus you get to keep your data)

Mighty Max
07-12-09, 22:12
That's just fine if they can do it, since then they first have to repair the defect that keeps the screen dark at bootup.

If there is no external VGA connected and no response of the display at powering up there is either a hardware or bios fault. Nothing you usually can do at home.

Chances are that it's just the inverter (an easy repair/partswap). However warrently is void if you don't use it anyways.

Torg
07-12-09, 22:35
sounds familiar to me. sometimes the sleep/standby mode is creating problems. some drivers running wild. to bring that little computer back to life, try the following: make sure theres no power, unplug it and remove the battery, just for 10 or 20 seconds. that should make it "forget" it was in standby mode, so next time you will restart it into normal. hope this helps.

tarasm
08-12-09, 05:50
update your bios. I had the exact same problem

nobby
08-12-09, 11:04
Alrighty then :)

Any idea how I'll go about it though ... : \

Monitors won't connect because I didn't have nvidia clone settings enabled...

Can't see a thing... I'll have a play around in college updating the bios and remembering the keystrokes to do that.

Biglines
08-12-09, 12:15
Alrighty then :)

Any idea how I'll go about it though ... : \

Monitors won't connect because I didn't have nvidia clone settings enabled...

Can't see a thing... I'll have a play around in college updating the bios and remembering the keystrokes to do that.
nvidia clone settings only work inside windows anyway, the external monitor should work by default for ur bios n stuff, if not your gfx card is prolly screwed

Lexxuk
08-12-09, 15:27
Turn off the standby feature?

Thalagyrt
08-12-09, 18:39
If the backlight hasn't come on after a fresh poweroff/poweron at all (do you see the BIOS screen and all) you may have a dead CCFL in the LCD. Are you able to get into the BIOS as normal?

Biglines
08-12-09, 21:40
seeing everyone including me confused, i reread it, and now come to this:

- Laptop used to work but after standby the screen wouldn't come on
- The screen now won't come on at all, not even in bios
- You have tried an external screen and that doesnt work either?

are those 3 things correct? if so, not getting into bios means either the gfx card or the screen are broken, if the external screen also doesnt work it means the gfx card is broken (afaik all gfx cards clone the image to the second screen during bootup, the last 2 desktops and 2 laptops I've had did that at least)

in which case the first reply was the correct one, go to a service center ;)

nobby
08-12-09, 23:52
The thing with the external screen not working.

Since I had installed another version of XP, because I hate formatting, An external monitor would NOT work until I had enabled it through Nvidia settings.

This INCLUDED bootup.

I had disabled clone as it was giving me a slower FPS in games.

because of this, this is why it is not appearing- I believe.

However please do believe me when I tell you that it even did not come on in Boot until Enabled !

I'm going to remove my battery on my motherboard to reset my Bios as I cannot trust myself to get it done right without fucking it up as I can't see a thing...

so... :(

Thalagyrt
09-12-09, 21:02
As crazy as this may seem, I have seen this happen before. Not all laptops do this, but on some of them the lowest brightness setting turns the display backlight off entirely - even in the BIOS. Just for kicks, power it up and hit the key combo to turn the brightness up and see if it comes on.

nobby
10-12-09, 10:40
after trying that and having no luck, I came up with the idea of using a form of remote desktop.

I had no luck trying to do it through windows so I did it step by step through skype.

To my suprise actually, 8 bit colour was shown with a low resolution, however I couldn't see much to look in display settings however after using an screen narrator and having to pretend to be blind, running DXDiag, no form of video was "told" to me.

I can dangerously, safely say, I believe my Graphics card in my laptop has gone pop !

so i'm stuck in a situation now :p

Do I buy a new laptop? since the graphics card is more of an onboard chip I believe, after having a good poke around.

I'll call the place I got my laptop from to see if they'll update my graphics card for X-hundreds pounds.

Thanks for all your help guys, I think this is it now :)

Biglines
10-12-09, 12:20
if its less than 2 years old they should replace it unless u've actually opened up the whole thing

nobby
10-12-09, 17:19
nah I found out I only took a year's warrenty out on it.

Won't make that mistake again...

Biglines
10-12-09, 18:36
doesn't matter, afaik European guidelines say you have warranty as long as a product should reasonably remain functional, but usually you'll have to threaten them with going to your countries consumer representatives or something