PDA

View Full Version : Where KK has failed miserably

Torg
24-11-09, 22:26
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4131761044_d2bc2fb5f8_o.jpg

Lately i decided to show Neocron to my new crush. Because this game means so much to me.

Starting in Plaza 1, Medicare, walk down Pepper Park, Industrial Area, across the Outzone, then hop into the hovercab, uptown into Via Rosso for a visit of Neocron Zoo. Just a sightseeing tour.

We hadn't even left Plaza, when i heard her say all this being quite desolate. And messy. And, look at all those crates everywhere. The outzone mutants were somewhat following a logic on their owns, and so was that Zoo place, i was told.

Next is was asked where to do shopping in this city. That made me point at Archer & Wessons and H.E.W. Oh, no, that's just weapons! My turn to showing an uncomprehending facial expression. Weapons are the most central element in Neocron, you know. Ok, so, well, where to buy shoes, for instance. Or other nice things.

See: That's the point. We part-time dwellers of Neocron got so accustomed to all the tristesse, we are taking it for something special, making our beloved game better than others. So, what about social life in the 29th century? Just because we, the socially disabled nerds are happy to reduce interaction to shooting at each others, doesnt mean everyone out there would want to follow us here. I don't think all gamers (of all genders) are really craving for elves and orks. But for a social life, even in the netherworld. And just because KK favors the Aspergers Faction among us, the less emotionally isolated gamers will have to spend their precious digital lesiure time holding Axes, Bows and Arrows. This has to change. 169 at the latest. Boots or not.

Hell-demon
24-11-09, 22:27
Why do you use blue text?

Biglines
24-11-09, 22:54
it makes him look special ;)

Trivaldi
24-11-09, 23:04
Why do you use blue text?

it makes him look special ;)
If you have nothing relevant to say, don't contribute to this thread.

Hell-demon
24-11-09, 23:16
I was just curious :(

zii
24-11-09, 23:34
I thought we were here to take drugs and slaughter the opponent; Based around some central themes. Gunshops: This is all we need :P

Shopping? You could have taken them to Prada & bought some booties there. :angel:

Nidhogg
25-11-09, 00:03
You didn't take her furniture shopping for your new apartment? For shame!

N

Hell-demon
25-11-09, 01:35
I thought we play games to escape this stuff. Besides... I'm suspicious, you play an MMO and you have a girlfriend o_O Lies!

Enjoy your hand :p

I'm just kiddin', it's cute.

Drevious
25-11-09, 01:59
Yes, great, great thread. This is surely where the game went wrong. Great post.

L0KI
25-11-09, 10:44
You didn't take her furniture shopping for your new apartment? For shame!

N

I was thinking the same; we can buy furniture/plants in abundance!

As for clothing... What's the point? Pretty much everyone in the 29th century wears PA anyway!

EDIT - I don't think the OP is serious about KK failing...

Biglines
25-11-09, 15:51
I thought we play games to escape this stuff. Besides... I'm suspicious, you play an MMO and you have a girlfriend o_O Lies!

Enjoy your hand :p

I'm just kiddin', it's cute.
lol half the people on here are married and have children :P (well dunno bout the forums, but in cat we were almost all either in a relationship or divorced :P)

zii
25-11-09, 18:42
Married 7 years
She keeps reminding me that I am 38, but I disbelieve her.

Hell-demon
25-11-09, 19:27
My wife left me. Well she deflated, so same thing really.

Must get a new one.

NAPPER
26-11-09, 08:41
Lol my Bird refuses to let me Play NC because i wear a Headset for ventrilo she calls me a Geek lol

Simple leave the headset on the side, put the sound through the speakers :D
and shout

flib
26-11-09, 13:21
My first date was at the Neocron Zoo. :cool:

Hell-demon
26-11-09, 14:27
My first date was at the Neocron Zoo. :cool:

You dated a drom?

ZING!

:p

LiL T
26-11-09, 19:39
I totally agree with the OP we need some form of social clothing, I hate power armour it looks so boring when everyone looks the same, another cyber punk mmo AO has social stuff to go over the top of armour.

However there are more important things that need to be addressed in this game...

Hell-demon
27-11-09, 01:39
We were suppossed to have accessories in neocron 2 but that didn't pan out. Like player run shops.

Torg
27-11-09, 12:05
However there are more important things that need to be addressed in this game...
true. first things first.

NAPPER
28-11-09, 06:47
We were suppossed to have accessories in neocron 2 but that didn't pan out. Like player run shops.

Player run shops always remind me of Games like RYL(Risk your life)
where the player would sit down then u could just click and open it i couldnt see that way working in NC but who knows?

Hell-demon
28-11-09, 15:36
[ edited - neither could I ]

flib
29-11-09, 21:36
You dated a drom?

ZING!

:p
I don't think they actually have them there =/

Izeo
04-12-09, 12:31
I see what you're saying about the lack of social content, but I don't think they failed - I think they intentionally refrained from putting too much content that is solely social/RP.

I could be wrong, but this is how I see it:

If all the shops are mainly focused on weapons, armor, medical supplies, that makes me think of "surviving". Even inside Neocron city, everything seems to be about war, self-defense, and trying to stay alive. Apartments are a bit of a social aspect of the game - a player COULD buy an apartment in a certain place specifically for RP meetings or whatever - but the cool thing is, they always serve purposes too. Healing, HomeTerm, GoGo, GeneRep, and item storage. This is nice, since it means it doesn't HAVE to be about status or being showy.

This is why I was a little bit crushed when furniture shops came out in NC2. I don't want to buy things to be showy. :( It just doesn't feel appropriate in Neocron. Plus, the textures of the new decorations are brighter and just don't match the "feel" of the old furniture. That whole concept reminds me of a couple other MMOs I tried out where a capped veteran player would hang out at the newbie leveling area and show off his high-level pets or mount or what have you. Now, I don't think furniture shops are THAT bad, but it's still a degree of that "ew" feeling.

(Also I think furniture shops should only be in Via Rosso, since that's where people are rich. The atmosphere implies people there can afford to use money on showy things that they WANT, but don't need. Having those guys selling oak tables and potted plants and stuff in the crummy outzone station zone for example is really strange - really goes against the grain.)

My point is, once there are too many purely social things for players to buy, in this case, clothing accessories, the atmosphere may be more and more damaged. It may be cool or funny at first to be able to buy a cowboy hat, bikini, baseball cap, angel wings, etc, but once everyone is running around in silly outfits, the atmosphere has been murdered. :(

This is why things like the holosuit bugs me, you can make yourself look like a female spy but still have your male facial hair floating in front of your mouth, or a male haircut that doesn't match the female model. Same thing with the suit that turns someone into a hooker. Don't know much about that but I've seen it before and it doesn't do wonders for the atmosphere to see a hooker with a plasma cannon on her back. :/

Another example is the game Entropia.. it claims to be a Sci-Fi shooter but if you look for screenshots of the game in a search engine, you'll see people in pink wire mesh tank tops, yellow cowboy hats, goofy-looking glasses, even bikinis, fancy dresses and tuxedos!, and those ridiculous clothes (in a "sci-fi shooter," mind you) are very expensive in-game, yet players buy them to show status - they don't act as armor or anything, and they even degrade over time and require repair.

--

Anyways, I do agree that Neocron could use a few more textures. In NC1, there seemed to be more available pants/jackets, and now, many of the textures on the playermodels are either exact duplicates or duplicates with a changed hue.

So, a little more available textures for jackets and stuff in the Rokkwear? Hell yes. A nice clothing store in P1 with shelves of shoes, shirts, dresses, swimwear, etc? Helllll no.

I may be picky and care too much when anything (in my opinion) injures the game's atmosphere, but the reason I'm so picky about it is because the atmosphere is my favorite part of the game.

Torg
04-12-09, 17:17
Entropia... it claims to be a Sci-Fi shooter.
i think we can agree here. Entropia clearly marks the direction NC never should aim for. i myself will live on without more shoes, or clothes, just like everyone of you. but what can we do to lure in more casual/social players? so we maybe can convice them later to take part in our manly rituals of killing each other endlessly? more safezones? more general stuff? more post-apocalypse? more cyberpunk?

Biglines
04-12-09, 19:39
i think we can agree here. Entropia clearly marks the direction NC never should aim for. i myself will live on without more shoes, or clothes, just like everyone of you. but what can we do to lure in more casual/social players? so we maybe can convice them later to take part in our manly rituals of killing each other endlessly? more safezones? more general stuff? more post-apocalypse? more cyberpunk?
less cheats and bug fixes :P

then afterwards adding team missions and team challenges

Setlec
04-12-09, 20:51
less cheats and bug fixes :P

then afterwards adding team missions and team challenges
you mean "less cheats and more bug fixes", right? the team missions are interesting...

LiL T
05-12-09, 06:30
Team missions now that's something which would add immensely to this game. I really love anarchy onlines mission system, it is instanced but it is cool, perhaps neocron could have a similar mission system using really locations and not instanced. Or maybe it would be best they were instanced and using an apartment lift you all enter the mission using a code you enter into the appy lift terminal.

Lets say they could make 30 variations of mission layout for 3 location types totalling 90 and then have 5 mission types, I'm sorry I'm using AO as an example... You'd have to play it and do the mission both solo and team based to understand what I'm getting at. In the team versions you would need maybe a hacker, researcher, constructor to carry out a specific task, a damage dealer and a tank and also ppu support. So a team of about 4 - 6 and the rewards would be better if you do them as a team, they could have rewards such as clothing which also add a certain but not massive amount to skills.

So they could have humm a techie jacket which boosts research by about 3 - 8 points and so and so forth. They would have to make these drops rare though and random, so a normal team mission you might get an MC5 part or 6 normal rare parts. Or maybe you would come out with nothing more than a stack of stam boosters and drugs but still worth the effort and good team play to be had.

NAPPER
06-12-09, 06:36
you mean "less cheats and more bug fixes", right? the team missions are interesting...

You Mean NO Cheats and More Bug fixes Right

Hell-demon
06-12-09, 18:34
People will always cheat. Even some bugs allow cheating. Still no ETA on this patch. [ edited ]

Biglines
06-12-09, 20:33
while I was kinda positive on the news of the new patch, KK's total inability to communicate properly has me thinking it will fail miserably anyway... if work is being done, at the very least tell us something about it...

Hell-demon
06-12-09, 21:55
We had this like a year ago. Mod hinted at a patch and we all clenched our buttocks. It seems our feedback is never really taken into account. How many ideas from the brainport thread will be in this patch?

Also is it too late to patch? The mmo industry has progressed much in the past couple of years. A new WoC weapon or drone is not going to cut it. This patch needs to be something new and possibly drastic.

Izeo
07-12-09, 10:47
I would actually be 100% OK with no new items or whatever, in fact, I would prefer that there were no new items added. Hell, I'm still a little offset by nanite injectors and WOC. (preferred tl-5 heal for all, and rares/PA) But I'd just want a few enhancements here and there; it would be a start. I made a few not-so-drastic enhancement suggestions in a thread my suggestion thread a while back. Some were:

- When you GeneRep after you die, if you pick a location that is locked, don't have it automatically send you to your apartment, since that isn't fair (you had NO way of knowing whether "Yutano Mine" for instance was locked). Instead, have the locked destinations grayed out, or, after you choose it, have it say, "That location is locked, please choose another" and open up the destination list again.

- Remove special/WoC ammo/weaponmods from the normal vendors and put all that stuff in a "Special/WOC Equipment" vendor NPC off to the side of the store, since it's confusing to new players to see that stuff being sold since it won't work on their guns.. plus, it's listed first in the shop window which is confusing.

- There are maaannyyy items without descriptions. Even common things such as weaponmods for melee weapons.

- Do something about P2-zoneline - kills the atmosphere and is quite awkward to have total peace in one zone then total war 10 steps forward. More efficient COPBOTs?, not sure.

- How about a use for some of the totally useless items in the game? Deutrithium, rotten/diseased flesh, computer junk. Maybe recycling recipes? 2 rotten or 2 diseased flesh = small meat, 4 rotten or 4 diseased = medium meat, 6 = large meat. 2x computer junk = wire junk? (wire junk IS actually used), 3x computer junk = glass?, 4x = metalpipes?, 5x = metalplate?

- Newbie quests give newbies a first impression of the game, with that in mind there is a newbie MC5 quest which is broken - it asks you to scavenge for vehicle parts afair and they don't drop in boxes anymore. Perhaps change to "weaponmod parts"?

- Display lost vehicles (owned by you) on world map as small red dots and on sector map as small red dots.

- Another, there seem to be lots of mis-textured models, mostly the new models that look like girls in skirts. At the mini-mall (boobs n guns etc) in PP and I remember some at DRT too. Like, pants textures on their faces and whatnot. Actually, they are at some outposts too.

General tidy-ups, really.