PDA

View Full Version : When were the outposts and wasteland buildings made?

Izeo
15-11-09, 18:52
I have a weird question about the random buildings (and remains of buildings) you find in the wastelands:

http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2006/07/03/nc2_sc42546370iFun.jpg
http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2006/09/29/neocron2_s9K585Ml77h8.jpg

Including outposts too, I guess, but mainly talking about the brick buildings like Point Red, Old Greycore Outpost, ruined buildings, and the random abandoned wasteland buildings not on the map.

When, story-wise, were those buildings made?

Specifically, are they remnants of old buildings before the nuclear war? The one thing that keeps me from believing this is the fact that there are no paved roads, since, surely if some buildings survived a nuclear war, there would be some remnants of paved roads, parking lots, etc, right? So my next thought is that everything was obliterated, and those buildings were made after the nuclear war.

(I'll say here that I actually very much like Neocron's wasteland and the feel to it. If there were paved roads everywhere, it wouldn't have the same feeling. Just curious though.)

So, were they built after the apocalypse and then abandoned? The thing that keeps me from believing this, however, is the fact that they don't have the futuristic architectural style of Neocron city or DOY. (aside from certain outposts)

Anyone know for sure?

flib
15-11-09, 20:38
So, were they built after the apocalypse and then abandoned? The thing that keeps me from believing this, however, is the fact that they don't have the futuristic architectural style of Neocron city or DOY. (aside from certain outposts)
This one.

Not everyone had access to the Ceres Database, so they had to work from scratch.

zii
15-11-09, 20:44
There are still some nomads living in tents out in the wastelands. At one point, one of these tents would right click and an apartment password box would appear, but I never managed to crack the code.

Dribble Joy
16-11-09, 02:36
Remember that civilisation essentially restarted after WW3, buildings such as these could have been built 200 years ago; Easily enough time for them to be abandoned later.

Bond.rc
16-11-09, 15:52
There are still some nomads living in tents out in the wastelands. At one point, one of these tents would right click and an apartment password box would appear, but I never managed to crack the code.
is that true? in which sector was that tent?

Doc Holliday
16-11-09, 17:42

one of the factories (krupp or tyron) had the same deal with a bush outside the GR but it got patched out one day.

Tratos
16-11-09, 18:07
If you (re)read the history, Uplinks and Laboratories were built in the 2600's, fortress buildings are suggested around the time of Jerckio's original construction and mines don't seem to be mentioned after my quick skim-read.

Jaxx.
16-11-09, 20:19
After an apocalypse, I guess paved roads are not among the top priorities. Building some kind of shelters like those on your screens are. Dust tracks are enough for the lucky owners of vehicles.

zii
17-11-09, 23:07
Dust tracks are enough for the lucky owners of vehicles.
No one uses those dusty paths: Guaranteed HoverEye ambush territory.

Jaxx.
17-11-09, 23:10
IIRC HoverEyes have not been there since the disaster. But that's another story. :D