PDA

View Full Version : NC 2.X/3.0 possible new engine??

Setlec
10-11-09, 22:39
I've been looking for this game engine called Unigine, it cross platform and yet really cheap compared to AAA engine such IDtech 4, UE 3 and etc... Check the Unigine website (http://unigine.com/) for features and pricing... Maybe KK make a port of the current 3D models to this engine while the can't actually hired a 3rd party modelers.

nabbl
10-11-09, 23:06
well.. if there is a NC3 , it will be rebuild from scratch.

Mighty Max
10-11-09, 23:35
The content, mechanics and graphics in Neocron are pretty tightly coupled. I'd say it isn't viable in any way to change the gfx engine within the life of Neocron 2.

A complete rework (aka NC 3) would alow it. However what engine to use is decided by very practical thoughts rather then "looks nice". One might be to use the same engine on all up-to-date products (BP i.e.) to increase the flexibility of manpower, reduce costs ...

Setlec
11-11-09, 00:12
yeah but i don't think that KK can afford for another crytek engine...

CMaster
11-11-09, 00:12
I think NC3 is enough years away from even starting production that trying to pick an engine for it now is somewhat foolish.

Dribble Joy
11-11-09, 02:49
yeah but i don't think that KK can afford for another crytek engine...
I thought BP used the Gamebryo engine?

Regardless, after developing BP they would have considerable experience with it and another licence might be as much as the first.

Brammers
11-11-09, 12:15
I thought BP used the Gamebryo engine?

Regardless, after developing BP they would have considerable experience with it and another licence might be as much as the first.

BP does use the Gamebryo engine, same engine used by Oblivion. So it should cope with a NC style world.

However, lets say NC3 is in the planning/pre-production stages and it will be a year before any real work starts on graphics/models/code.

Then another 3 years to do most of the work, the question in 3-4 years time is will their choosen engine still look good on the hardware that is around in the future?

@Setlec - How much is the price of a AAA engine these days? I've looked at a few AAA engines websites and none of them have a price on their site.

Setlec
11-11-09, 13:05
UE 3 is estimated to be over 350K USD, idtech 4 is about 250K usd. Source engine, Gamebryo pricing are under NDA. But we could say that most of AAA game engines cost start about 250K USD per license.

CMaster
11-11-09, 13:55
I think starting work on NC3 within a year is very unlikley - I can't see BP stopping being a focus for KK's ~40 staff that soon, even less so if they want to devote some time and attention to NC2.

As for the cost - I think "cheap" isn't really going to be the big decision. I mean sure, cost will be a concern, but with the costs of NC3 doubtless being measured in millions of euros, it doesnt seem worth going cheap on the engine. How good an experience they've had with Gamebryo for BP will doubtless effect the choice too. I'm also sure most of the middleware manufactorers are quite prepared to negotiate for whatever terms suit their clients too - I mean, it's not like they're selling liscences every day.

Kozmos
12-11-09, 22:59
unigene has rediculous licensing costs for what you get... 25k for a binary ? lol your having a fuckin bubble. 40k for source ? also unbelievable.

unigene apparently has awful embedded netcode too, so would require a complete rewrite, and its apparently an unannotated source which can get very dirty if your picking up a whole engine and taking on someone elses code...

the screenshots are nice, but for 1k or less, you can achieve near that with torque t3d, or hell, unity, although unity are fucktards and want stupid money for the sourcecode, which would be required to make a game like neocron3, you cant just pick up a hot ass graphics engine and use only script to create your game... you need the source...

Unreal is still rediculous money, yeah the sdk's now free, thats awesome for trainee's, students etc, but as a company, with a serious business plan, the 25% royalties is a large chunk of revenue to be taken for a hopefully long standing game.

yeah theres alot of choices out there, but considering that reakktor are currently kinda getting back up on their feet after cashflow problems, are hardly wanting to spank out $xxx,xxx on a graphics engine

Nixon
22-11-09, 15:22
www.udk.com

Perhaps KK will continue the Neocron games after finishing BP but that will take years.. I'm sure everyone misses the NC1 feel when you played on full servers but it's just dreams unless the guys at reakktor decide to remake it.

Or they could sell the NC license to some other developer.

Drevious
23-11-09, 21:18
www.udk.com

Or they could sell the NC license to some other developer.
No. As much as everyone dislikes KK or whatever, at least they are keeping the game up.

Hell-demon
23-11-09, 21:34
BP does use the Gamebryo engine, same engine used by Oblivion. So it should cope with a NC style world.

Great. No one look at anything white in-game or the bloom will blind you to fuck.

zewy
07-12-09, 09:55
Unreal Engine 3
It is used for a other mmo's like Huxley, Mortal Online, Blade & Soul, Global Agenda, TERA. I think that this engine wold work great with next neocron where can I pre-order? :)

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/

other news.
http://www.geeks3d.com/20091105/unreal-engine-3-free-for-everyone-with-unreal-development-kit/

unreal
17-12-09, 15:28
Unreal is still rediculous money, yeah the sdk's now free, thats awesome for trainee's, students etc, but as a company, with a serious business plan, the 25% royalties is a large chunk of revenue to be taken for a hopefully long standing game.I'm glad at least one person has a bit of sense to check up on the commercial side of UDK. :) Some of the others in the thread must have read news articles stating that that "omg, UDK is free, awesome!", but that's all well and good for personal purposes. It's a completely different matter for commercial ventures.

If you're a couple of developers trying to push something out with no backing, then it can be almost seen as a good deal, because those people won't be able to afford the humongous pricetags for most current generation game engines. But on the other hand, 25% of your revenue is a huge amount, particularly if you're a business, especially one that employs other people.

There's no mention of this applying for a limited amount of time, either, so it presumably applies until you're no longer making ANY revenue from the sale of the product/service that makes use of UDK. Imagine if Blizzard had the same agreement with whatever engine they used to start developing WoW. This year alone they would be handing over at least $50,000,000 to a very happy group of people. But not to worry, you don't pay anything on your very first $5,000. :p

It reminds me a little of Dragons Den. The deal isn't too bad at first when one of them wants a 35-40% share, but then they reveal they don't want to provide all the money, and as soon as another dragon pops into the equation, he also does same, and usually he doesn't want to have less share than the other one (since it would make him an inferior businessman in his eyes), and that leaves the person bringing home the bacon with the smallest share in the business he's trying to create. "Here you go, you do the work, I'm entitled to a big lump of it, and I might pop in from time to time to see how you're getting on!" :cool:

Setlec
17-12-09, 18:33
if i would choose over UDK and source engine i would go with source engine for sure. it's a shame that Valve dind't make something similar....You must own HL2 to use Source sdk... anyway for a paid game engine i STILL believe that UNIGINE is the perfect game engine for NC... it's cheap, it's great, and it's crossplatform...