PDA

View Full Version : [ot] Linux!

MrTrip
09-10-09, 18:23
I am so advanced and badass, THAT YOU DO NOT NEED LOUDER VOLUME ON YOUR LAPTOP. DAMMIT.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/supported_features.png

I'm just venting a little bit, but I have yet to get away from Windows 7 and jump back on the Linux wagon, I know, I'm a horrible person, especially after having the avatar I have.

I'm thinking about the new Ubuntu beta Koala Kangaroo Jackrabbit Giraffe whatever it is.

Biglines
09-10-09, 19:18
thank you for that ;) made my day

BaDDaSS
22-11-09, 15:24
Ubuntu 9.10 is nice, are you running it yet?

zii
22-11-09, 21:17
I am running Ubuntu 9.04, and after patching it to the latest levels from whatever is in Canonical's repos, it runs well. Even the sound works.

Selket
23-11-09, 03:41
sound in ubuntu is badass. You can crank it up to over 130% now, what is way more louder then in windows.

And yes fullscreen flash works now too.

Setlec
23-11-09, 06:00
I don't like ubuntu i think that canonical isn't suited to the Open Source community... In many website there are ppl complaining about how canonical doesn't help the community source code and stuff. Nonetheless it's true to say that canonical did a good job to spread the word of linux around the world! I personally i like any RPM based distribs... I'm considering to use PClinux OS or Cent OS now, as those distribs don't support the shameful and worthless PulseAudio.

zii
23-11-09, 15:29
... don't support the shameful and worthless PulseAudio.

hear hear. Pulse Audio is painfully painfull.

Biglines
23-11-09, 15:52
sound in ubuntu is badass. You can crank it up to over 130% now, what is way more louder then in windows.

And yes fullscreen flash works now too.
uhm, using vlc I can boost the volume to 200% of the default sound levels of wmp and winamp, or is that something else? :P

MrTrip
24-11-09, 02:05
They finally addressed the issue of LOW LOW LOW sound on Laptops. I hated that.

Mighty Max
24-11-09, 03:45
And still no support for dxt decompression in the open source radeon drivers to run neocron under wine for all of us, who have an one year "old" ati gfx card :-(

It's really annoying to switch OSes when you only want to switch programs.

Biglines
24-11-09, 11:50
thats why I run windows ;) 99% of the useful open source programs run on windows too, or have superior commercial versions, plus all the normal windows stuff :P

(no linux bashing intended, it's great at what it does, just doesn't do enough for me)

Eddie Murphy
24-11-09, 11:54
Linux is not my usual OS to use but i have used it but i still prefer windows i find it much better and been brought up with windows.

MrTrip
27-11-09, 20:56
And still no support for dxt decompression in the open source radeon drivers to run neocron under wine for all of us, who have an one year "old" ati gfx card :-(

Meh, I thought ATI open sourced their drivers? I'm glad NVIDIA keeps somewhat on top of the drivers for Linux. I have never had a problem with NVIDIA hardware on an AMD platform in Linux. It is just a perfect little mashup.

I found out why Neocron felt so much better in Linux vs Windows.............................mouse acceleration !

I was always a bit more accurate in Linux vs Windows and I never understood why until now. Mouse acceleration! I have heard of this for CS:S but never really used it because...why? I was never into CS:S very much.

Time to jump in game on Linux and be called a hacker again <3

Biglines
27-11-09, 21:14
Meh, I thought ATI open sourced their drivers? I'm glad NVIDIA keeps somewhat on top of the drivers for Linux. I have never had a problem with NVIDIA hardware on an AMD platform in Linux. It is just a perfect little mashup.

I found out why Neocron felt so much better in Linux vs Windows.............................mouse acceleration !

I was always a bit more accurate in Linux vs Windows and I never understood why until now. Mouse acceleration! I have heard of this for CS:S but never really used it because...why? I was never into CS:S very much.

actually mouse acceleration could be turned off and work perfectly :P

MrTrip
27-11-09, 23:43
actually mouse acceleration could be turned off and work perfectly :P

In XP. In Vista and 7 it seems that it gets turned back on when you go in game.

Biglines
28-11-09, 00:23
ah, yet another reason why i dint make a mistake buying xp for my laptop pre-packaged with vista

MrTrip
28-11-09, 01:10
ah, yet another reason why i dint make a mistake buying xp for my laptop pre-packaged with vista

XP is an oldie, but a goodie. Vista was their attempt at making a whole new change, and failed. 7 is the cleanup, but they need to make some more changes in 7 to bring it to XP's epic level haha.

I've seen some people saying they have gotten it to turn off in 7, but I have yet to see it. For now I'll just stick to my Linux.

Biglines
28-11-09, 01:57
XP is an oldie
seeing as there's still updates coming out for it, or at least were till a few months ago, it's not that old, and still very usable, I wouldn't want to run windows 7 on older pc's (vista has never been a serious option)

MrTrip
28-11-09, 10:15
seeing as there's still updates coming out for it, or at least were till a few months ago, it's not that old, and still very usable, I wouldn't want to run windows 7 on older pc's (vista has never been a serious option)

It IS old though, about 8 years now.

flib
29-11-09, 21:38
Vista is to 7 as Millennium is to 2000

It would behoove people to realize this and stop praising it as if Microsoft finally came around and is finally making a good OS.

Biglines
29-11-09, 23:53
no offense, but the difference in 2 different sets of windows was abandoned when the millenium line was dropped and xp was built on the 2000/nt mechanics (before that, the home and business versions were totally different os's), after which vista was meant as a total replacement of xp (seeing as they discontinued xp before windows 7 was out). Vista is not a crappy consumer version vs some better corporate version, it's a crappy generation in itself.

and don't think it's actually praising microsoft, but being glad that piece of crap vista is finally gone and people can install an uptodate OS again (I'll remain with xp for some more time, vista was never going to run on any of my systems, but 7 might be installed some time in the future when the educational licences drop in price some more)

MrTrip
30-11-09, 09:23
no offense, but the difference in 2 different sets of windows was abandoned when the millenium line was dropped and xp was built on the 2000/nt mechanics (before that, the home and business versions were totally different os's), after which vista was meant as a total replacement of xp (seeing as they discontinued xp before windows 7 was out). Vista is not a crappy consumer version vs some better corporate version, it's a crappy generation in itself.

and don't think it's actually praising microsoft, but being glad that piece of crap vista is finally gone and people can install an uptodate OS again (I'll remain with xp for some more time, vista was never going to run on any of my systems, but 7 might be installed some time in the future when the educational licences drop in price some more)

Professional license through school was $35.

Fuckin win.

Biglines
30-11-09, 13:10
Professional license through school was $35.

Fuckin win.
damn, w7 is still around a 100 here :( damn teachers get better prices tho... weird... like they can't afford more than us...

Setlec
30-11-09, 19:49
got mine for free at MSDN-AA. So the licence for my parents, my brother and his wife, and I. You should ask to your college/university if they can enroll in the MSDN Academic Alliance, For those who study COmputer Science and Systems of Information (a.k.a System Analist) wil have free access to most of M$ software. Don't expect to get MS Office. But you will see many software such windows 2003/2005/2008 server, XP pro, vista business, win 7 Business, Visual Studio many versions including Beta versions... So in the end i got many copies of vin 7 coz i live in brasil so i get one version in portugues and the english version + the multi-language pack, that helps alot...

Biglines
30-11-09, 20:56
for some reason all the other software is free (office n stuff), but i need to pay for every extra windows license (I got one with my laptop which we got at school (well he had to pay half))

LiL T
05-12-09, 06:35
I could not get the new ubuntu to work after installing on my system, it worked from the live CD but after install and I sure it has something to do with either my wireless card or this crappy old monitor I'm having to use till I get new one. Anyway it throws errors relating to my wireless card, some driver issue and the screen flickers quite a lot...

Too much of a pain in the ass to sort out I'll not bother, windows 7 is just great...

LiL T
05-12-09, 06:44

OMG this explains something to me... I have this horrible floating mouse aim in all FPS games I play, its like it wants to over compensate for my aim >.< my god I'm gonna have to find out how to turn that piece of shit code off because I can never pvp decently due to it. It like I never feel comfortable and have to move my keyboard and mouse around to get to grips with the damn movement >.<

MrTrip
05-12-09, 07:03
OMG this explains something to me... I have this horrible floating mouse aim in all FPS games I play, its like it wants to over compensate for my aim >.< my god I'm gonna have to find out how to turn that piece of shit code off because I can never pvp decently due to it. It like I never feel comfortable and have to move my keyboard and mouse around to get to grips with the damn movement >.<

Aren't you Little Terror, that ran around with the female PE with blonde hair smashing everybody with your Libby?

Anyway, yeah, I haven't been able to shut it off completely, but people are working for a resolution. Check around the CS:S community, everybody there wants it gone completely.

LiL T
05-12-09, 07:50
Aren't you Little Terror, that ran around with the female PE with blonde hair smashing everybody with your Libby?

Anyway, yeah, I haven't been able to shut it off completely, but people are working for a resolution. Check around the CS:S community, everybody there wants it gone completely.

Yeah thats me :) anyway try this one mate http://www.sevenforums.com/388242-post7.html

I just tried this and it does not remove it completely but you can set the sliders all the way to the right like the poster said and hey I can play quake live and actually hit people a lot easier... Not only that I can keep aim on them and kill them with some of the weapons I could not before such as the lightning gun or plasma gun which needs a really steady aim. It does not visually look better but the feel is much better instead of the ice rink effect you get with mouse acceleration.

I use to use winxp and would always just turn off the mouse precision and that worked fine but since moving to windows 7 my mouse always felt weird and I just thought it was old age creeping in haha. Cheers for mentioning this though, it even feels better when doing normal stuff like web browsing and stuff, so whos amazing idea was it to create this mouse acceleration crap...

/edit damnit it is still horrible though, this is going to really annoy me I can tell...

MrTrip
05-12-09, 22:11
Yeah thats me :) anyway try this one mate http://www.sevenforums.com/388242-post7.html

I just tried this and it does not remove it completely but you can set the sliders all the way to the right like the poster said and hey I can play quake live and actually hit people a lot easier... Not only that I can keep aim on them and kill them with some of the weapons I could not before such as the lightning gun or plasma gun which needs a really steady aim. It does not visually look better but the feel is much better instead of the ice rink effect you get with mouse acceleration.

I use to use winxp and would always just turn off the mouse precision and that worked fine but since moving to windows 7 my mouse always felt weird and I just thought it was old age creeping in haha. Cheers for mentioning this though, it even feels better when doing normal stuff like web browsing and stuff, so whos amazing idea was it to create this mouse acceleration crap...

/edit damnit it is still horrible though, this is going to really annoy me I can tell...

Ted from Accounting at Microsoft invented it because he only has a 2 inch mouse pad, and wanted to get across the screen by just moving faster.

I deno its dumb, but yeah. I just picked up the new G5 mouse too, with mouse accel off, and the mouse set to the highest DPI and sensitivity set to 0.1 pretty much, I am a dead on shot for everything now in NC. Its perfect for long range ppuing or APU where you have one chance to hit.

MrTrip
05-12-09, 23:12
The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 60 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator (community@reakktor.com) to make alterations on your message.

Fine, double post.

Go to Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > Enhance pointer precision (uncheck this)

Now, again, some games will re-enable this. There is a program you can use to check for this.

http://digitallyevolved.net/Neocron2/Helpers/mousespeed.rar