PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Ferrets

Muppet Rat
07-10-09, 01:17
Greetings folks,

Although it won't be for some time (hopefully a couple of years), Jodo and I are planning to get a few ferrets :D . I intend to use this time to research and do my homework as much as possible. So I was hoping some of you with knowledge, and perhaps ferrets themselves, could point me to some useful sites and forums and offer any info you have on this lovely furry subject.
Also if anyone knows of any good breeders in the North West, this would be very helpful.

TIA

William Antrim
13-10-09, 18:10
Get Polecats they're cuter and don't go for albinos (any mammal with red eyes generally actually) as they're prone to tumors.

Be prepared to keep them outside as they stink and get females rather than males as they tend to smell less. Get them either neutered (i think thats the right word anyway) or be prepared to have to mate them every year with a male. They dont actually have to breed (ie get the male snipped) but the female must have sex otherwise she will get an infection in her womb and it will kill her if left untreated.

Ferrets are cool as pets and fiercely loyal to their owners if handled properly, think rottweiler but smaller. Be prepared to get bitten as they tend to get over excited when you play with them and will sometimes lose control, spaz out and bite you and then proceed to chuckle about it as they think you running around with blood pouring out of your finger is fucking funny. (this last part is from experience).

Don't feed them meat when theyre older as it can give them the shits and again can cause longterm health problems (ie death) if given too much. A little bit once in a blue moon shouldnt hurt them but mostly you should feed them on ferret biscuits, ask your local petshop about "frankie ferret" mix or whatever they stock locally. Be prepared to pay out of the arse for it though as the little buggers can eat when they want to. Females are generally much smaller than males but both are equally as nice as each other if handled properly. The difference is the smell however, and the fact they have massive balls for their size (you may get jealous).

Can't think of much else to tell you other than they love a lot of exercise/attention and will gladly play for hours (like a dog) without showing signs of tiring, this can be both annoying and exhausting for you. However a ferret if trained and cared for properly can be a friend for life and if, like me, you don't care for rats much then you will find a ferret a good friend when dealing with said rodent.

Sorry I have no links for you, all the info I have came from a friend of mine who was a reputable breeder for many years and used to hand-tame his ferrets and then sell them. I had about 20-30 off him and sold them in my shop and never had any complaints, well apart from one woman who had her nose bitten but she deserved it. :angel:

Muppet Rat
13-10-09, 23:09
Thanks for the reply, I'd almost given up on this thread.
Some of your information lines up with what I've already read but I've still got a lot more research to do. As mentioned, we won't be getting them for a couple of years, so we've plenty of time to figure it out.
We plan on getting three males and having them neutered once they reach maturity (I've read elsewhere that this almost removes the smell completely).

if, like me, you don't care for rats much then you will find a ferret a good friend when dealing with said rodent.

Seriously, you are joking, right? :confused: Have you not seen my avatar? We currently have 6 pet ratties and they're the most adorable furries on the planet!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/MuppetRat666/Rats026.jpg

William Antrim
14-10-09, 08:58
Ferrets eat rats.

Muppet Rat
14-10-09, 10:47
Yeah, we know. That's why we're waiting about 2 years, 'till our current family have left us. There won't be any rat-eating going on in this house! 8|

flib
15-10-09, 04:59
Rats are adorable. <=)