PDA

View Full Version : [OT] I own some cool domains but what to do?

kane
29-09-09, 02:28
I own some cool domains but what to do?

I have some good MMO type domains if developed right they could be great. The forums one I was offered 1,500 for it but when I asked what it was for it was some kind company in NY specializes in power leveling LOL this was like a year ago and I said no..

mmoforums.com
mmoservers.com
mmohost.com
mmohost.com
mmolords.com

I mean heck I have the hosting and the money but just need some people maybe I guess dedicated people??

Ideas be good anyways.

nobby
29-09-09, 09:58
You should have taken the fifteen hundred when you could... silly Goose :p

www.digitalpoint.com (http://www.digitalpoint.com)

Their forums are full of stupid people, spending and trading stupid virtual crap from Link exchanges, to websites for hundreds of thousands to domain names.

Good luck :)

Hell-demon
29-09-09, 11:06
Hold on to them and wait for ideal buyers or development. If anything you could make quite a bit of cash by developing them yourself.

I wouldn't go with nobby's idea of selling them to stupid people.

L0KI
29-09-09, 12:10
I personally don't think there's much value in any of those, other than MMOForums.com.

That one could potentially be a gold mine in the right hands.

If you're willing to put the time in, buy yourself a license for VBulletin, and create a beautiful template. Get a team of mature friends (who understand the basics of grammar) and set up an epic forum, with a sub forum for every single MMO you can imagine.

Look at the forums of MMORPG & ONRPG.com for ideas on what's discussed in MMO forums.

Get as many friends/clan mates/people you know to post and use it... and you could build up one of the largest independent MMORPG forums around. Take it one step further, like MMORPG.com and allow users to rate games.

Think about it... if you're looking for a forum to discuss MMO games, what would you type into Google??? Simple... 'MMO FORUMS'. You know exactly what site would be number one, each and every time. Welcome to the wonderful world of web traffic and advertising sales.

Anyway, that's what I'd do with it. Hey... if you can't be bothered, I'll buy it off you for £100, and give you 33% of all the profits I make on it for the next 5 years.

Doc Holliday
29-09-09, 14:21
I personally don't think there's much value in any of those, other than MMOForums.com.

That one could potentially be a gold mine in the right hands.

If you're willing to put the time in, buy yourself a license for VBulletin, and create a beautiful template. Get a team of mature friends (who understand the basics of grammar) and set up an epic forum, with a sub forum for every single MMO you can imagine.

Look at the forums of MMORPG & ONRPG.com for ideas on what's discussed in MMO forums.

Get as many friends/clan mates/people you know to post and use it... and you could build up one of the largest independent MMORPG forums around. Take it one step further, like MMORPG.com and allow users to rate games.

Think about it... if you're looking for a forum to discuss MMO games, what would you type into Google??? Simple... 'MMO FORUMS'. You know exactly what site would be number one, each and every time. Welcome to the wonderful world of web traffic and advertising sales.

Anyway, that's what I'd do with it. Hey... if you can't be bothered, I'll buy it off you for £100, and give you 33% of all the profits I make on it for the next 5 years.

in true spirit of dragons den i will give you £150 quid and 36 percent of the profits i make in the next 3 years.

and you get a free bowler hat. :)

nobby
29-09-09, 16:12
I wouldn't go with nobby's idea of selling them to stupid people.

Well he could get an easy $500+ straight away today by setting up a thread ;)

Setlec
29-09-09, 17:28
i can give some rare parts in game for it! just kidding, but you should develop the MMOFoRUM.com, i think it would be great! you can even later get free beta keys for the future coming MMOs...

Strife
29-09-09, 18:57
And all the ladies will be all over you

Doc Holliday
29-09-09, 20:03
thats what its all about.

William Antrim
29-09-09, 20:30
I agree with Mr Fang, thats a "Rate" good idea.

kane
29-09-09, 20:51
Thanks guys over the next couple weeks I will work on mmoforums <3

Lexxuk
29-09-09, 20:57
True story this:

Linky link link (http://zerozephr.livejournal.com/124358.html)

Basically you set up a Wiki for a game, but you also make it the most popular wiki around using wikimedia naturally. Then you get emails from the guys at wikia offering you insane dosh (apparently $200,000 in this case) to move your wiki over to wikia. Of course, doesn't help that the guys that did this had just finished a "we need money, send us some!" drive, and spent all the cash.

So look at which games are up and coming that will be *big*, we're talking top 3 or 4 games around (that new Star Wars one maybe? Star Trek Online? Stargate?) then set up a wiki, advertise it to make sure *you* get all the fans to come to your wiki, they start putting in the content for free, after a while wikia comes along and says "hey, your wiki is a lot better than ours, how about we give you mega dosh and you move it to our servers?" and job done, you've made yourself a bit of cash.

As for the forum, no need for VB, try Simple Machines instead :D

Strife
30-09-09, 02:25
dosh? i think he wants money, not something that sounds like a rectal excretion from a barn animal.

Lexxuk
30-09-09, 03:06
You never know these days, people have really weird tastes :lol:

William Antrim
01-10-09, 13:30
Just look at Lexx.

Lexxuk
01-10-09, 19:05
See! William agrees with me! Wait? What?! :angel:

L0KI
02-10-09, 09:15
@ Kane...

I can't stress enough the importance of buying a VBulletin license.

DO NOT use a free PHP forum... It'll crash and burn.

PS - Lexx smells.

rob444
03-10-09, 01:11
vbulletin is nice, phpbb works fine though but it's way too messy and (probably) over exploited these days. Vbulleting costs money though :(

zii
03-10-09, 13:16
Dynamically generate your content from the crap people can post in the unmoderated comments. That way the site can generate its own advertising.