PDA

View Full Version : Future of Neocron?

Strife
11-09-09, 21:46
I'd like to ask the developers of Neocron what the future of Neocron will be, or how do they see it? Are we on life support until she finally gives out? Are there any last ditch plans to get the game running again?

I've been playing again, and tbh it's fun to play it. But after I get over the novelty of playing again, there really is no point in playing the game enough to hunt for rares, to get MC5's, to go for Woc. In the end what will I gain from it? Sitting with my rares after month+ of hard work, only to watch LE'd tradeskillers talk on help, or the one or two Pvpers who log in for the day.

The game just looks gloomy, the population is dead. You still need to buy an account to get any new players ingame, the subscription fee is still $5, which I guess is nice. I mean, the price different isnt really much. This might have been a nice change when the game still had a respectable population.

I guess what I'd just like to put out there, which I'm sure is has been suggested before, in part perhaps, but would be to put out one more advertising campaign, mail all forum accounts or game account emails announcing Neocron is free to play. There is nothing people love more online, than a free MMO. I mean, look at all the lame crappy MMO's that are out there, that still have people playing. Look how popular UO, EQ, WoW free player run servers are. Hell, some of those servers have had higher populations than NC has in its peak.

Honestly take a look at the game, the years put into it, how amazingly fun it was when the game had people in it. Now ask yourself, do you think NC could be popular again, if there was no reason for people not to try it. The main drawback to getting people into a game is the sub fees, remove that and what's to stop people from coming into the game?

Now I realise that the game still costs money to run, but there are other ways to make money. There's a reason why so many FREE games have been able to keep their doors open all of these years. The deveopers/publisher need to capitolize on their product. Look at WoW, look at EVE. You can do anything to your character in WoW for a price pretty much, sex change, name change, server transfer. Look at EVE, you can buy game time cards with ingame credits. Do you realize how many people who would NOT pay sub fees, or simply cant would be out of that game for those reasons? But with those payment options, they're still playing. People that would otherwise not be putting money into CCP's wallet, infact are.

Now not all of these are possible with Neocron at the moment, but there are still ways to make money with neocron. Servers transfers, while I don't see it used much, could still bring in some cash. Name changes, soul light resets, faction changes, etc. I'm sure there are still some means of advertisement ingame. Perhaps an ad that comes up on the launcher for 10 seconds before you can launch the game. You can change it at will, each month a new sponsor, or even a repeat sponsor. Donator bonus, maybe 2x xp for 2 days for a $5 donation.

I can't really stress enough how easy it is to get people into a free MMO. Just set it up, and people will come. Word of mouth is a VERY powerful form of advertising. And I don't think ANYONE who is still here nowaday will deny the fact that Neocron is an amazing game, and was robbed of the success it deserved. The game was the next underdog success as EVE-Online was. The game just never had the proper funding it needed or a good publisher from the start(This being CDV).

NAPPER
11-09-09, 22:30
u proper need to read the rest of the forums

the game is Free to play

Strife
11-09-09, 22:42

the game is Free to play
Yes, for old accounts. That means very little concerning my post.

Opar
11-09-09, 23:51

the game is Free to play

Wait, what?

NAPPER
12-09-09, 00:11
Wait, what?

NC is free to play for all accounts

Opar
12-09-09, 00:12
See you guys in game tomorrow, then :)

extract
12-09-09, 03:42
heya opar super duper long time no see so long in fact i dont even remember why or how i remember you but major buddy alarms are going off in my brain

anyways see ya ingame

Kanedax
12-09-09, 09:20
NC is the goddamn future god fucking damnit!

flib
12-09-09, 09:46
Kane, you shouldn't get on the forums when your trashed.

Nidhogg
12-09-09, 13:53
The servers are up, people can play, we have GM and forum mod assistance as well as full email support. Neocron is still important and we are doing our best to keep it running for all of us.

You're aware that since 10tacle went under we've been concentrating our attention on Black Prophecy. We have to do this to secure a future for the company and its 40 employees, and that means a future for Neocron, too. Due to the way we're now funded we have very little wiggle room in this respect but we're thankful that we can continue to offer this service.

We've learned many lessons over the years with Neocron and the fruit of that knowledge is being ploughed into Black Prophecy. We hope and expect that Black Prophecy will be a success and will allow us to grow such that we can sustain both games in the future. This won't be to the detriment of either game - after all, how many other developers restrict themselves to a single game for virtually their entire lives?

There are plans for Neocron. They're embryonic at this stage but we'd love to be able to present an entirely new MMO set in the Neocron universe. And who knows, we might even get a patch or two around here once things pick up. ;)

N

LiL T
12-09-09, 17:41
Well i'd hope they would some day give neocron some love, even if it means a total rewrite and an entirely new game...

Drevious
12-09-09, 17:42
We've learned many lessons over the years with Neocron and the fruit of that knowledge is being ploughed into Black Prophecy.

No offense, but i hope the game team learned A LOT....because from where i'm standing it looks like even trying to create a new game is a certain suicide for your company. Especially a nerdy SPACE game...come on now!

Hell-demon
12-09-09, 18:24
You also are outsourcing a few things like you did for neocron see here (http://www.rocketbox.de/index.php?foo=portfolio).

I understand that KK are hamming up the fact you have pretty ships but when you guys didn't actually make 'em you have to wonder what you are working on.

LiL T
12-09-09, 18:35
You also are outsourcing a few things like you did for neocron see here (http://www.rocketbox.de/index.php?foo=portfolio).

I understand that KK are hamming up the fact you have pretty ships but when you guys didn't actually make 'em you have to wonder what you are working on.

No offense, but i hope the game team learned A LOT....because from where i'm standing it looks like even trying to create a new game is a certain suicide for your company. Especially a nerdy SPACE game...come on now!

blah blah blah.

nobby
12-09-09, 19:09
All they would EVER have to do to save Neocron or even Black Prophecy should it turn into a unsuccess game of Tripe. (I'm looking at the fact of it being EXACTLY like Eve-online by what I've seen/read...)

Affiliation needs to be setup and rewarded,

Job done

You've now secured the future of your game, future and living.

By doing these two steps I guarantee ANY form of online business will succeed instantly getting you an Unlimited income.

Thanks for reading, please buy my book on my Business success on Amazon :)

(That was a joke, I do not have a book, nor do I have anything for you to buy, however my logic is clear and true) :p

flib
12-09-09, 20:33
You still think that it's exactly like EVE? That's pretty foolish.

Biglines
12-09-09, 20:49
comparing the two would require actually knowing EVE and BP...

seeing as BP is shown in every single outlet as being completely different from EVE since EVE is a simulation game, while BP is an action space shooter, not much has been read about it too

and seeing that even if it were like EVE, it would be like one of the most succesful mmo's out on the market at this point...

the game shouldn't be the problem, it's looking to be one of the first to come out with an action based space mmo, the ones out at the moment are mostly exploration/resource/strategy games, but JGE might be too large to compete with in that area

i'm hoping they find a publisher, mostly because neocron might get better for it...

LiL T
12-09-09, 21:19
If it ever gets to the point and I really fucking hope it does not! If it gets to the point that neocron can no longer be funded and run, or BP for that matter I sure hope they are willing to take help from the community rather than just saying that's it folks lights out...

Lot of people with too much fricken time (skills) on their hands these days, maybe not back when the game was first founded but now there is.

Strife
12-09-09, 22:45
The servers are up, people can play, we have GM and forum mod assistance as well as full email support. Neocron is still important and we are doing our best to keep it running for all of us.

You're aware that since 10tacle went under we've been concentrating our attention on Black Prophecy. We have to do this to secure a future for the company and its 40 employees, and that means a future for Neocron, too. Due to the way we're now funded we have very little wiggle room in this respect but we're thankful that we can continue to offer this service.

We've learned many lessons over the years with Neocron and the fruit of that knowledge is being ploughed into Black Prophecy. We hope and expect that Black Prophecy will be a success and will allow us to grow such that we can sustain both games in the future. This won't be to the detriment of either game - after all, how many other developers restrict themselves to a single game for virtually their entire lives?

There are plans for Neocron. They're embryonic at this stage but we'd love to be able to present an entirely new MMO set in the Neocron universe. And who knows, we might even get a patch or two around here once things pick up. ;)

NWell, if there are plans for Neocron in the future, other than just keeping the game 'up', but real plans to make the game thrive again, I hope KK realizes that the game is really dated, and Neocron being pay2play for new subscribers simply will not work.

Drevious
13-09-09, 03:36
[ edited ]

Strife
13-09-09, 03:57
I find it funny you're so upset you decide to come to the forums and flame a thread, i'm sorry, who's the problem with the game? You started talking shit, and you were the one who ended up in tears.

Also kind of funny an '06er calling me a vet wannabe.

Model192
13-09-09, 03:59
[ edited ]

Drevious
13-09-09, 04:13
[ edited ]

afxwinter
13-09-09, 05:15
[ edited ]

Strife
13-09-09, 05:59
[ edited ]

flib
13-09-09, 06:34
Hey guys, let's rank each member of the forums by when they registered!

Kanedax
13-09-09, 06:43
FUCK YEAH! NERD RAGE! Chill out bros.

LiL T
13-09-09, 11:14
*yawn*

Keep it in game yeah?

Nidhogg
13-09-09, 13:36
That's quite enough.

N

Doc Holliday
13-09-09, 13:40
Hey guys, let's rank each member of the forums by when they registered!

some of us have been around that long to see the various changes and DO have a more informed opinion than others though flib. that is a fact you cant escape. not always totally accurate but by and large its a fair indication. after all most of the tards on the forums way back got banned so anyone who has a reasonable post count and forum join date has got something to say worth reading.

strife has been here that long you should take note of what he says as he is well informed. these forums arent the same read as they used to be as alot of people who would entertain or just plain old speak some truths are long gone. its a shame. there is not the intelligent debate of the days past or the flame wars of yesteryear. i havent seen this many edits in a long time. i bet nid hasnt either ;)

Hell-demon
13-09-09, 13:46
Black Prophecy is in no way like eve. Eva has a lot more depth than BP, more than just shooty bangs and pretty ships. The devs of eve also bring out free expansion packs and regularly update.

Considering KK's track record for patches I doubt we will see any such devotion as CCP. Eve was done by a small Icelandic company, KK is a small german company. Yet, CCP has done much better at making a hugely successful MMO ( not that successful compared to WoW) but put it this way they certainly have more players.

Also I didn't see any news of BP from PAX or E3 this year? I may have missed them, excuse me if I'm wrong. If you weren't present than thats a marketing opportunity down the shitter there. You are just repeating history.

Strife
13-09-09, 20:39
Black Prophecy is in no way like eve. Eva has a lot more depth than BP, more than just shooty bangs and pretty ships. The devs of eve also bring out free expansion packs and regularly update.

Considering KK's track record for patches I doubt we will see any such devotion as CCP. Eve was done by a small Icelandic company, KK is a small german company. Yet, CCP has done much better at making a hugely successful MMO ( not that successful compared to WoW) but put it this way they certainly have more players.

Also I didn't see any news of BP from PAX or E3 this year? I may have missed them, excuse me if I'm wrong. If you weren't present than thats a marketing opportunity down the shitter there. You are just repeating history.

The difference between the two companies being one thing..KK never had the support CCP did. I'm not sure if CCP self published or not, if they did then they obviously had better resources than KK. In Neocron's prime the game had 'good' graphics by MMO standards. But KK never got the profit the game could have brought in. CDV, the original publisher did absolutely nothing noticeable for the game.

The game would have surely been different if Neocron had the subscribers it could have easily have gotten. More cash, more developers. Aka bugs not sitting in game for 3+ years :P

I'd call WoW a success, yes. But with the massive resources Blizzards have, I really don't think it was that much of a hard thing for them to pull together an amazing MMO. I mean, they did an amazing job with it, but look at the millions upon millions they've been able to sink into the development of it.

CCP's success with EVE though, is a real success story in the game development industry.

Hell-demon
13-09-09, 21:23
These companies do have the financial backing. Which is bad news for KK because they are dealing with insolvency and still haven't got a publisher or beta in the works.

They are trying to get through insolvency by making a game, which seems odd in practice because most companies would cut their loses and quit. However, they have a means to sustain themsleves here in neocron.

Right now the game is free and quite frankly if it wasn't I doubt we'd have the players we have now. This benefits KK immensly because they have a player base they can advertise BP to and they have. Every announcement is BP related and although that's good for KK it does not go down well with their reputation. Some of us here don't want to play BP, some of us want to play neocron. We have given KK in the past our money and time only to be told the game we are all here for is on hold for a game they have more stock and faith in.

It's been nearly two years since NC saw it's last patch and it's been many mnay months since a staff member hinted to a patch that might never see the light of day.

nobby
13-09-09, 21:58

Not at all.

The game is NOTHING but Instanced base - Just like Eve

Limited free for all zones, very little.

All it appears to me is that BP is eye candy to the FPS shooter, that's all it is

No game economy as such...

I'm not looking forward to the game anymore, that's all.

Seems to have a likeness to Eve in terms of features, or unfinished features, and I can see the game getting boring pretty quick, just like you do with Eve.

Get ship - get mission- go to instance - kill rats- go back, get reward

Use cash to buy new guns/ship - get mission - go to instance - kill rats- go back - get reward.

I'm not looking forward to the game anymore.

If anyone feels they can add constructive words to what I'm missing and needing, then please go ahead without flaming.

flib
14-09-09, 02:18
How about the pvp aspect?

Biglines
14-09-09, 17:45
well EVE has pvp

oh and judging people by their join date, yay, good thing i registered in beta4, then went away for 6 years and still have this joindate! :P

and I think one of the trailers was shown at e3 but could be wrong

flib
14-09-09, 20:06
BP has pvp missions, so you can hop in the game, grab a mission, and go pvp for a little while and be done. EVE requires more commitment.
Also, the gameplay is entirely different. EVE is point and click, BP is not, and therefore, actually interesting and exciting.

zii
14-09-09, 23:18
Not at all.

[SNIP]
If anyone feels they can add constructive words to what I'm missing and needing, then please go ahead without flaming.

Nobby, has you played Black Phophacy yet?

nobby
15-09-09, 12:39
Like I was saying, by what I've read and seen from what KK have provided, I'm worried already that this is just about as bad as Eve, even though this is 1st person and "more interesting." We're still looking at horrible instances here...

Biglines
15-09-09, 14:33
Like I was saying, by what I've read and seen from what KK have provided, I'm worried already that this is just about as bad as Eve, even though this is 1st person and "more interesting." We're still looking at horrible instances here...

just as bad as the most succesful mmo produced by an independent studio... yes bad...

so u dont like instances, that it then? thats the whole base for you assumption that BP is bad?

Hell-demon
15-09-09, 14:34
Also there are two factions you can join, KK have a thing about simple red versus blue play.

Eve has more freedom with players allowing them to control the economy and the universe. All we know of BP is wizz bang and ships. Graphics don't make a game good. Something KK has not learnt. Good ol' evo patches - sprucing up graphics but failing to make people stay :rolleyes:

nobby
15-09-09, 14:58
Also there are two factions you can join, KK have a thing about simple red versus blue play.

Eve has more freedom with players allowing them to control the economy and the universe. All we know of BP is wizz bang and ships. Graphics don't make a game good. Something KK has not learnt. Good ol' evo patches - sprucing up graphics but failing to make people stay :rolleyes:

Indeed !

just as bad as the most succesful mmo produced by an independent studio... yes bad...

so u dont like instances, that it then? thats the whole base for you assumption that BP is bad?

Well the whole fact BP tried to stray right away from Eve, having nothing but instances kinda doesn't help

onyXMaster
15-09-09, 15:17
I hope for a proper competition for Eve.

Hell-demon
15-09-09, 17:07
Ok, let's look at it like this.

What has Black Propehcy got that sets it apart from every other game? What is stopping me from playing something else like Eve or even Jumpgate Evolution?

Black Prophecy isn't giving us really anything new. Eve has got walk-in stations in the works and Jumpgate Evolution is coming together nicely. Also these are the games that I know of, I dread to think how many other space sims or elite type games are out there or in the works, just like all the other bloody fantasy elves bullshit that clogs up the mmo market like a steaming turd of mediocrity.

zii
15-09-09, 21:11

I take this as a no?

Hell-demon
16-09-09, 15:18
I played it. Alright I guess. Duke Nukem Forever was more fun though :D

L0KI
16-09-09, 15:39
It's too early to judge BP.

That is all.

Hell-demon
16-09-09, 18:38
Were judging KK more than BP. In fact when BP is mentioned on a website people comment on how devs neglected Neocron and how crap neocron is.

Nidhogg
16-09-09, 22:06
Yeah? I keep reading how NC was some people's best MMO ever. I think we did pretty well considering our size relative to the competition, and while you're criticising BP remember that it is paying for the NC servers to remain running (for which some of us are grateful).

N

Biglines
16-09-09, 22:37
Yeah? I keep reading how NC was some people's best MMO ever. I think we did pretty well considering our size relative to the competition, and while you're criticising BP remember that it is paying for the NC servers to remain running (for which some of us are grateful).

N
tbh we can still be grateful that the nc servers are still running, and still think neocron is one of the best mmo's (the game itself), while still critisizing the fact that nothing has been done with neocron for quite some time and that it is not normal for bugs to exist from beta til 7 years later... and the fact that the information we do get about anything either takes months to come to us, or we have to read it in interviews about a game most of us aren't interested in

still, thank you for keeping the servers up, and neocron IS the best mmo I have ever played

gypsiMoth
17-09-09, 01:16
I am grateful the servers for Neocron are still up

Hell-demon
17-09-09, 01:41
tbh we can still be grateful that the nc servers are still running, and still think neocron is one of the best mmo's (the game itself), while still critisizing the fact that nothing has been done with neocron for quite some time and that it is not normal for bugs to exist from beta til 7 years later... and the fact that the information we do get about anything either takes months to come to us, or we have to read it in interviews about a game most of us aren't interested in

still, thank you for keeping the servers up, and neocron IS the best mmo I have ever played

Agreed. While many have fond memories of NC, the bugs, technical support problems, hackers and lack of patches drove people away. We have fond memories just tarnished. Right now it's very hard to have much stock in neocron. Players that we are familiar with have been driven away, the game has not been patched in a long time and we all must wait and see if black prophecy will be heralded as a work of gaming genius, that will bring something new and spectacular to the mmo scene and make KK insanely rich to the point where they can buy their own island.

Bozz-Von Mel
18-09-09, 03:10

N

So a new BP account will help keep NC going ?

kidding...

Hell-demon
18-09-09, 04:22
Zing! :p

Terror_Nonne
18-09-09, 07:00
So a new BP account will help keep NC going ?

kidding...
haha nice one. but its right, i buy champions online for star trek online.... :D :lol: wtf...

Model192
19-09-09, 23:59
I always thought that Neocron partially went to shit because they was ZERO marketing in the US, or on the web, really.

Look at NCSoft, they're going to make a fucking killing from AION and that game is just a linear royal piece of shit, JUST because of the hype.

Hell-demon
20-09-09, 02:23
The whole indystry is built on hype. Only way you can get ahead, just look at Peter Molyneux (the scumbag).