PDA

View Full Version : R-C spy assassin

mcjomar
27-05-09, 11:32
Hey guys.
Complete beginner at Neocron, hence why I'm asking this.
Is there any good advice on assassins beyond "point, shoot, reload"?
I.E does anyone have any solid templates, or advice as to where I can go to find them?

Currently working my way through MC5 until I hit level 10 so I can source as much useful gear as possible before leaving.
Cheers guys.

Biglines
27-05-09, 11:56
yes, leave mc5 immediately, it's a useless area. Assassin is only a title, and it's a starting point for the beginner mission (you get a sniper rifle as far as I know).

besides that, make sure you get some weapon lore in intelligence, it's used to aim faster and better, as well as a tiny bit of damage i think.

put your ingame name up here somewhere so people that recognise you can give you some starter money.

also, when you get a bit further, get someone to make you better guns, because the storebought weapons are very bad.

William Antrim
27-05-09, 14:39
Do not remove your le until you get the hang of the game unless you want to get killed by every idiot with a hard on and a gun. Levelling a rifle spy is difficult (drones are way easier as your body is never in danger).

However low level drones dont work very well, I think from about tl20 above drones are finally good and viable so you might want to think about using drones early on (from this level up) to cap and then you can change to rifles at that stage.

It is entirely up to you as its your char. It just might be a lot easier for you to learn the game/have fun/cap quickly so that you can pvp, which is what the game is all about.

But yes, post up your name here or ask for one of us in game. My forum name is my spys name. While i wouldnt say he is an uberleet set up, I win more than I lose so its your call.

mcjomar
27-05-09, 15:02
Well I have tested out the droner, and it's pretty much fact to my knowledge that drones are miles mor pointless at low levels. My droner has a few points in T-C, and still gets no hits with the drones. Somewhat frustrating really.

On the other hand, the rifle-spy seems to level and do damage like nobody's business in PvE.

As I understand it, "good" or "better" guns are better than the store bought junk anyway, and those are the ones available from the MC5 trade outpost. Similarly I'm also able to source all three of the stealth modules from the trade outpost as well (even if I can't use them yet).
Is it worth me getting all three before I leave so that I don't have to track them down at later stages in the game?

As for cash, I enjoy being self-sufficient in that regard, so don't worry about that. My in-game sniper is Jack Jomar, on the Terran server (I run on GMT time y'see).
Currently making **cough**printing**cough** money out of the wierd cave in MC5.

Doc Holliday
27-05-09, 15:02
mr antrim. let him learn the game. he doesnt need to leap in to pvp straight away.

right. mentioned above mate get out of mc5 asap. its much easier to level outside of it after you have learned a few early steps.

as a rifle spy (assassin) you need a few important skills. you need some agility to make you run quicker. you need rifle combat (essential) and some tech combat (not so essential but some guns require it. anything thats laser/plasma/fusion basically) not really needed early on because most of the rifles are ballistic.

under intel you need weapon lore for your aiming speed. beyond that its up to you if you spec hack skill or implant (poke being the slang term) or what ever but i would perhaps wait and see about that. implanting is a good skill to use early on though because if you do die you can put your own implants back in and earn money implanting (poking) other people.

you also need some athletics (under your con stat) to help you run a bit quicker. put some points in health early on up to about 50 as you level.

spec a few points in to the recycle skill also. what ever you kill will drop you junk to use to recycle in to medkits etc which you will use alot of undoubtably. you can also make ammo this way too.

best piece of advice i can give you though is ignore trade channel and all the insults and use the help channel to ask questions

Okran
28-05-09, 10:53
Additionally I wouldn't bother buying the stealth tools in MC5, you would be best to wait as any Crytons Techtools will sell them in the city, but it would be cheaper to source them from other players who can make them for a fraction of the cost.

As doc said put 50 points into Agility (Dex), Athletics (Con) and Body Health (Con), as anything above 50 will cost you 2 skill points per 1 point increase.

You might want to ignore high tech rifles for a while and just concentrate on low tech rifles (ones that only require Dex and R-C).

It's all about getting the most out of your points as soon as you can, remember after 50 points it costs 2 points to increase and after 75 costs 3 and after 100 costs 5. The most important for skill is obviously R-C (Dex) and secondly W-L (Int); so aim to get them to 100 as soon as possible, but you might want to get Agility to 50 first.

Oh and about Psi, if you can get 53 PPU and 18 FCS you can cast rifle booster which gives a small boost, but it all helps. Put 10 points into psi use (Int) for a large enough psi pool to cast it.

mcjomar
28-05-09, 13:25
How do I boost my psi skill?
Is there a psi-glove I can obtain and some psi modules to use or something?
Cheers for the pointers guys :)

William Antrim
28-05-09, 16:08
All classes have one skill they don't gain xp in naturally, as a spy it is Psi. You will need to run missions to get your Psi up. If you can only do simple missions then the best ones to do quickly and easily are the Recycle missions in the citycom. For the VERY EASY level missions you can buy the cheapest 3 chemicals from Crytons Tech tools and turn them in to your npc to complete the mission. It saves time scavenging for the parts and gives you the all important needed xp to level your psi.

Another thing you can do is start your epic faction quest - if you are Tangent or Tsunami then you will get a rifle out of it which is good at later levels, if youre anything else then you get a different item which may or may not be useful to you as a spy. Doing some of the missions for the epic also gives a little psi xp as completing different aspects will give small bonuses along the way the same as side missions as explained above.

Once youre feeling a little tougher you can go on and take on the hard missions and very hard even if you feel inclined. The level 5 dungeons dotted around plaza 1 and 2 play host to a whole horde of creatures like Aggressors and Aggressor Captains (missions to kill these guys can be found at the normal and hard category missions) and will almost certainly level your psi for you in very little time. Personally I would aim to cap your psi as soon as you possibly can as even though its a small and little used skill the spells you get access to later on will be good for your defences (the shields are very useful at ALL levels for a spies defence).

Once youve got the required skill points you will need a list of psi modules and a glove.

You can get all of them from the psi vendors in Pepper Park 3 (the crahn store I forget its proper name).

You will need a Tech level 3 heal, a Tech level 3 Deflector, an absorber (i think the red one is absorber - its a red shield anyway) and a rifle combat booster level 1 and a spy booster level 1.

You will also need a Psi glove (the basic one) to cast the spells. Tbh if you ask any of the players around someone is bound to give you a blue print of these spells as most everyone who has a combat char (spy or pe) will have them anyway so you might not need to shell out for brand new ones of your own. After that take em to a researcher/constructor to get good ones made and youre in business. Get the glove "poked" into your glove slot and when you have enough skill in your psi points you will be able to use the spells. You may not see a massive difference right away but at high end you will be glad of every little bonus you can get. Spies are amazing when played properly. Mine was my first char and he was a labour of love in nc1 as back then pe's were all the rage and it was tempting to just log my pe as he could do everything a tank could do and do it better if set up properly but now spies are the flavour of the year and theyre awesome. I have always maintained that i love my spy as he was my first char.

Some may scoff and argue but its all about a matter of opinion, I hope this helps a little bit.

mcjomar
28-05-09, 23:33
It does mate. thanks again.
Reason I asked earlier about the gear you can grab in MC5 is because in other games it usually pays to get as much as you can out of the newb area before leaving because it makes you more capable of dealing with the Real Game once you're out.
Examples of this being SWG and AO for two that I recall where that was very true.

William Antrim
29-05-09, 13:06
Nc is the complete opposite in that respect then. Just holler on trade for a little help and ignore the sarcasm and you will find one or two people who will help you out a little bit.