PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Kirk Lenke on Eurogamer.de

SnowCrash
18-05-09, 14:34
Kirk has spoken to Eurogamer about several Black Prophecy topics and also gave some information about Neocron that might be of interest for you.

Read the full interview on Eurogamer.de (http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/black-prophecy-interview)

Pilot Renfield from the Black Prophecy community has also provided a rough english translation of the interview (http://forum.blackprophecy-game.com/showthread.php?t=542).

Biglines
18-05-09, 15:11
[ edited ]

Doc Holliday
18-05-09, 17:54
I was gonna start a thread like this myself.

put aside all talk of patches and the current state of play of the game etc and just think what COULD happen and its an amazing thing.

i think you have to allow yourself to dream a little with this but as i posted over there. a new game with the essence of neocron and its mechanics in it with a brand new engine and brand new content would be a smash. a true start over project with as much care and time invested in it as is evident in black prophecy.

sure it would take some time to produce and finalise. i think a lot of us could be drawing pensions etc by this time but hey its a thought. i think that is enough for a smile or 2.

i think it would be interesting to see what the others in the community think of course but i can almost see the trolls on the horizon charging in to this thread.

however. i have to admit i think i would miss fatals :) (dont edit me its just a joke)

Biglines
18-05-09, 18:08
I'll try not to be negative...

neocron 3 with a new engine, so probably far fewer zonelines, meaning fighting has new dimensions like snipers that reach far, maybe even a cover system that would let local be hidden a bit, so you can ambush people on a melee character?

MrDomino
21-05-09, 01:31
I may be stupid but is there a version in English anywhere?

edit: If not, can anyone give me the gist of the Neocron part? (I really don't care too much about the BP part of it.)

Philchow
21-05-09, 05:23
Holy shit.
Do it.

Seezur001
21-05-09, 08:28
Alright, going to post my two cents on what I get out of this article.

To me, the way it reads about Neocron, they put too much emphases on what Neocron has given them, not what Neocron could still potentially give them.

In regards to support, the portion that states that at one point KK can possibly support BOTH games. Its my understanding that some people are still paying to play this game. With still getting revenue off of this particular development, shouldn't it be supported anyways?

Overall, what I got out of that article, is that within the next year, or so Neocron will cease to exist, and it could potentially be years down the road before we see another game like it. If this game does stay up, it could also be years before we recieve anytype of support on this game again, or updates?

What is going on with the patch that was promised to us a few months back, you know, the one that you guys said you were working on?

I know that A LOT of the neocron commuity has offered there services, even for free of charge, to help make improvements to game. People have offered to make new graphics, fix broken sounds, etc. Why not make Neocron a "Community Project"?

Bugs, Glitches, etc that have been reported even two years ago still exist today, a lot of them are even worse now than they were when first reported.

Currently, there are way too many hackers on the servers, yes, if you ban them that is most likely 2/3's of the server populations. Instead of banning everyone and only keeping away even more players (bannings, and the abundance of hackers), why not fix the bugs?

Surely Snowcrash can take a break from playing Mafia Wars on Facebook, and lend Neocron some support?

Biglines
21-05-09, 11:10
if they knew how to fix the bugs, they probably would have, and getting together with some company like punkbuster would probably violate their contracts with subsidiaries

CMaster
21-05-09, 12:28
Alright, going to post my two cents on what I get out of this article.

To me, the way it reads about Neocron, they put too much emphases on what Neocron has given them, not what Neocron could still potentially give them.

In regards to support, the portion that states that at one point KK can possibly support BOTH games. Its my understanding that some people are still paying to play this game. With still getting revenue off of this particular development, shouldn't it be supported anyways?

Overall, what I got out of that article, is that within the next year, or so Neocron will cease to exist, and it could potentially be years down the road before we see another game like it. If this game does stay up, it could also be years before we recieve anytype of support on this game again, or updates?

What is going on with the patch that was promised to us a few months back, you know, the one that you guys said you were working on?

I know that A LOT of the neocron commuity has offered there services, even for free of charge, to help make improvements to game. People have offered to make new graphics, fix broken sounds, etc. Why not make Neocron a "Community Project"?

Bugs, Glitches, etc that have been reported even two years ago still exist today, a lot of them are even worse now than they were when first reported.

Currently, there are way too many hackers on the servers, yes, if you ban them that is most likely 2/3's of the server populations. Instead of banning everyone and only keeping away even more players (bannings, and the abundance of hackers), why not fix the bugs?

Surely Snowcrash can take a break from playing Mafia Wars on Facebook, and lend Neocron some support?

With the very few people who are still paying, I'd be suprised if they are covering the costs of NC. I'd be pretty certain they aren't making money, although I could be wrong.

A patch was never promised either. It was commented a long while back now that work on a patch had been started. Not that it was continuing at the time (the future of the company was in doubt). Nor has it been said at any point that work is still continuing on it (mind you, in typical KK fashion neither have they said that it's been abandoned. Reminds me of the 18 months or so between "Item tracking will start later this week" and "Item tracking will not be in game").

The fact that a "new NC" (not that I think we'll ever see the name Neocron again unless marketing at KK is truly mad) is years and years down the line is hardly news. Much like with NC, BP players will want and expect updates, fixes and improvements. That needs a fair few staff. Only once that is easily being taken care of can they think of working on a new game (or when the BP project has gone badly wrong enough that they ditch it). THe possibility of looking again at NC was spoken about by Holger I think years ago too.

Seriously, what do you think the current NC could give KK? With a real overhaul of adding some new content, fixing some of the bugs, finishing off balancing and sending those bastards on elitePvPers packing, you could maybe have a game which a few thousand reguarly play. For a discount rate. Maybe. Not sure it's worth the effort. Although the fact that some of the best known exploits haven't been hotfixed out is kinda shameful.

Seezur001
21-05-09, 13:16
if they knew how to fix the bugs, they probably would have, and getting together with some company like punkbuster would probably violate their contracts with subsidiaries
PunkBuster has no place in MMOs. PunkBuster has no place in games, period.

Doc Holliday
21-05-09, 13:23
in fairness to to Cm above that about sums it up albeit with a negative slant.

Ok in my pov yes there are more issues with this game than one can shake a stick at BUT there is also a decent community of players buried in all the shit of cheaters and hackers accusations being banded around. There is also a very good concept of a game. lets not get away what neocron is and what it could be. A lot of people loved this game. most anyone who ever played nc1 (no offense to anyone who joined after but the first go around was still in my eyes a lot better) had love for it because despite its flaws it had one thing that all of its offspring 2, 2.1 and 2.2 havent ever had and thats quite simple.

People. People play this game and people make this game fun. thats what we all miss. old friends who played. crowds of people everywhere and open pvp in all zones and constant kill or be killed attitude not go looking for a fight in p2 or get pked at regant and wait 10 years for a poker.

add a decent population over haul the thing or build a brand new one with new areas, content etc. there is months and months of posts from the old brainport somewhere which could be used as input to start with. its not like they havent a clue where to start

the essence of nc could be captured and input in to a new game. as i said before the mechanics of it all are very clever and simplistic. the combat system is perfect imo (netcode warping issues aside) and could be updated im sure with a modern engine etc. hell they could possibly use what ever is powering bp and modify it perhaps. if it works for that it might well work for another mmo. i dont know as im not a dev.

so whether they call it neocron 3 or neocron 3795592 or something completely different if you could take a poll of everyone whos ever played this game and said if we overhauled neocron on a brand new engine and started virtually from scratch to build this and learn from the mistakes made in nc1 etc would you consider it.

i think anyone who says no hasnt played the game enough or is lieing.

Hell.

the term neocrack got its name from somewhere right?

Biglines
21-05-09, 13:42
what i meant by punkbuster was that there are third party anticheat tools that could be implemented in neocron (punkbuster worked on halflife without official support), and a relatively easy integration in nc (even as simple as gm manually checking if suspected people are running punkbuster)

i just said punkbuster because it was one of the first anti cheat programs that worked without official support, but would probably work fine with the majority of cheats in neocron (same era as halflife lol)

stelco
23-05-09, 03:28
Good luck with the new game, but it isnt my style of gaming.

:(

Chosen One
26-05-09, 18:54
Of course we are evaluating future projects and are looking out for possible partners to realize them. One of them could be a new MMO based on our classic Neocron. We will see.

I like what i see here :D

Seezur001
26-05-09, 19:37
Of course we are evaluating future projects and are looking out for possible partners to realize them. One of them could be a new MMO based on our classic Neocron. We will see.

I like what i see here :D
As with anything that KK has/will ever say, I'll believe it when I see it.

Their track record is horrible.

Biglines
26-05-09, 21:45
[ edited ]

Infinite
31-07-09, 19:59
Looks good :)
Hadn't heard of BP but will defititely keep an eye on it.

Anything that resembles NC pre DOY at all sounds good to me.

Ryen
03-08-09, 18:54
Alright, BP looks pretty good, but you guys are really dead to me unless you can come up with Neocron 3.

flib
03-08-09, 19:58
[ edited ]

Hell-demon
03-08-09, 22:04
[ edited ]