PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Social Networking

Lexxuk
07-05-09, 01:47
Ok, which social networking sites do you lot use? I know they really are for people who need to get out more, but thats us :P anyone still use myspace?

I used to play FFXI (still trying to get over the addiction) and some people had set up myspace pages for the boss monsters and notorious monsters, so leaping lizzy was friends with bune!

I tried facebook recently, but its so annoying with people trying to get you to play poker or whatever with them and asking you to sign up to a gazillion things (though I did a "how Welsh are you" test, and it turns out I am actually Welsh, no surprise there).

Come on Niddy and Hoder and you mod type people, add me to myspace mwahaha! :P

Drevious
07-05-09, 01:56
First of all, if you want to be more social...DONT TELL ANYONE....ANYONE THAT YOU LIKE FINAL FANTASY. OK? Now that we got that out of the way.

I use Myspace and Facebook. I actually have two myspaces, one for personal friends and stuff and one for some music i put up every so often. I actually use my facebook more though. But i don't try to meet people through either, best way to meet people is to go outside buddy. Hope that helps lol.

Lexxuk
07-05-09, 02:07
Go... out... you're crazy, theres global warming and bird flu and swine flu and worse, PEOPLE out there! Besides, on myspace I'm a 21 year old chick with HUGE boobies (not really, but I could be) :D

Brammers
07-05-09, 03:26
I use facebook, just for my friends, where I'm more than happy to share some tales from a drunken night out.

Twitter is a new one for me, but I only post updates I'm happy for the whole world to know about.

However, the oldest social networking still wins here for me. The good old pub! ;)

Hell-demon
07-05-09, 06:14
However, the oldest social networking still wins here for me. The good old pub! ;)

Agreed. None of this virtual pint shit. It's wierd how some people will just hang out with friends online, indoors and away from each other. Really fucking backward. Best experiences you have with people are out in the real world. Anyone who says that they have had better life-changing experiences online with friends is one sad, lonely, greasy sex offender.

L0KI
07-05-09, 09:09
Agreed. None of this virtual pint shit. It's wierd how some people will just hang out with friends online, indoors and away from each other. Really fucking backward. Best experiences you have with people are out in the real world. Anyone who says that they have had better life-changing experiences online with friends is one sad, lonely, greasy sex offender.

This is all true.

Selket
07-05-09, 10:14
social networks are great when your friends are scatterd around the country or globe. Its really convinient and keeped me from loosing some good friends.

Pub networking is nice too downside is it gets expensive over time. (but in a pub its quite easy to "network" with the opposite sex :p )

Biglines
07-05-09, 11:11
I used to play FFXI (still trying to get over the addiction) and some people had set up myspace pages for the boss monsters and notorious monsters, so leaping lizzy was friends with bune!

*waits for a drom myspace*

ashley watts
07-05-09, 11:35
I use Myspace and bebo :cool:

Nidhogg
07-05-09, 11:49
The only site I use is LinkedIn.

N

L0KI
07-05-09, 12:34
The only site I use is LinkedIn.

N

I'm registered with that, but I can't say I've ever used it.

A friend of mine has managed to get a bit of web design work from it in the past!

I'll have a proper look at it when I get time.

Hell-demon
07-05-09, 12:50
Twitter!

Bah! More like shitter (http://boingboing.net/2009/03/16/supernews-twouble-wi.html)

Am I rite guiz? :D

Doc Holliday
07-05-09, 14:02
facebook on occasion. never used myspace or any of that jazz. agreed with what helldemon said. i dont see the point of all these random "status updates" because most of the people write utter bullshit on theirs like oh i bought a new washing machine or yay im hungover.

rob444
07-05-09, 14:02
Social network?

neocron.jafc.de of course (or the newer host forum.neocron.com)!

Facebook, myspace etc. Go to hell!

Biglines
07-05-09, 14:28
i subscribed to most of the network sites, but the only or at least most important reason was to be able to just click accept and not get all the invites all the time (not many, but they kept sending repeat emails)

Lexxuk
07-05-09, 14:29
I use myspace to rant and rave, its really rather nice for that :angel: plus apparently I'm friends with Zac Braf! (from Scrubs!!!) maybe he'll buy me some booze if I ask nice.

Only have 1 person on myspace who I know from NC but he aint used it in ages, ones a RL friend who umm, aint used it in ages, 2 are people from FFXI and yeah, my social networking skills suck, maybe I should write a book "How to win friends and socially influence people on social networking sites for dummies and idiots and people with the social grace of a dead frog"

Though yeah, making a Drom Myspace sounds good..

"What are you doing now..." - "getting taken from behind, again!!"

Kanedax
07-05-09, 15:50
I use facebook and twitter. Facebook is a good way to find out where the party is at and twitter is a good way to know the every move of certain ladies I know. One day I will have them........

Chosen One
07-05-09, 16:45
I use facebook and twitter. Facebook is a good way to find out where the party is at and twitter is a good way to know the every move of certain ladies I know. One day I will have them........

one day i will have you...

Hell-demon
07-05-09, 17:17
One day I'll have you both...

UMF!

rob444
07-05-09, 18:56
One day I'll be able to eat atomic waste...

So I can become a super mutant and take over the world!

Kanedax
07-05-09, 19:42
one day i will have you...

You had me at hello

Hell-demon
07-05-09, 20:08
Some serious social networking going on here.

UMF!

Hoder
07-05-09, 20:14
Best experiences you have with people are out in the real world. Anyone who says that they have had better life-changing experiences online with friends is one sad, lonely, greasy sex offender.First part is true, but never forget that the friends you made online just make your first RL meet-up that bit more special ;)

I dabble on facebook, but please don't bother adding me as your "friend" as that privilege is strictly for people I already know in the "real" world and I value my privacy too. It's a bit of fun when I'm not out and about.

Hell-demon
07-05-09, 20:23
Snob.

William Antrim
07-05-09, 20:35
Im gonna add hoder, we have met irl and he was my first love.

rabbi fang and i had a liberating experience once online when he showed me his ray of last hope. I new it was to be the malediction of my life from that point onwards.

see ive just created neocron-book!

social networking is bollocks, i use it when im bored and i need to kill time and the cron forum is dead.

Rather go for a pint with you lot instead and get beat at pool by a guy with a broken hand. Black and gold, black and gold! O_o

rob444
07-05-09, 22:44
I get weird people adding me on facebook all the time. I just accept them for the fun of it. Someone added me because we have the same first and last name (unique last name) and you Americans might have heard of him.. or not.. he used to be first chair in Special Operations, some Navy Seal dude.
Anywho, I use facebook to play Farm Town these days due to the lack of good games to play :rolleyes:

Drevious
07-05-09, 23:57
Farm Town...sounds like a game winners play :angel:

zii
08-05-09, 00:03
I use Email and my mobile telephone to communicate. Life is far more interesting than facebook and their ilk. I see these as nothing but a tool for data mining :D

Hell-demon
08-05-09, 00:04
^^So true.

+1 manliness point to you

Lexxuk
08-05-09, 00:37
You can't use social networking sites (except Friends Reunited) to hit on people, you should save that for pepper park and the lost psi monk who's in awe of your swirly thingy.

Face book is a bit yuck though, status updates, why would anyone CARE that you are currently on the toilet after that chicken tikka last night? Oh, some people care, the sort that like 2 girls 1 cup, but thats a select few.

My latest rant on myspace was about why global warming activists are nutters who don't bother checking the facts but use faulty scientific papers to back up their opinion, calmly forgetting that at least two other planets in the solar system are heating up as well as Earth, but when you point it out to them, they don't defend their position, they attack you! Nutters I tell you!

Doc Holliday
08-05-09, 01:16
First part is true, but never forget that the friends you made online just make your first RL meet-up that bit more special ;)

I dabble on facebook, but please don't bother adding me as your "friend" as that privilege is strictly for people I already know in the "real" world and I value my privacy too. It's a bit of fun when I'm not out and about.

im not sure social networking sites and privacy go hand in hand that well H but fair comment. can i add you. we met in yates that time in the nottingham nc meet. i was wearing that special outfit........... :)

Nymphette79
08-05-09, 01:19
Right! /me gets up on my very very high horse.

I have 3 children 1 of whom has special needs, the only person I trust to look after my babies is my mum and she very, very rarely will, so for some of us the pub isn't an option.

And some of the friends I have met online are miles higher than some of my RL friends, there are people that I sincerely care about & love yet I have never met them. If that makes me one sad, lonely, greasy sex offender then so be it, i'd be a much lonlier person without them.

L0KI
08-05-09, 10:09
I'm pretty sure he was joking, Nymph! :)

Al - You got "SERVED" at pool by that guy with the broken hand...

Black 'n Gold, Black 'n Gold...

Lexxuk
08-05-09, 13:02
Aww Nymph, you've known all of us from online social networking (this forum) and you know that I'm fantastic (the rest are reasonably ok :p).

Hell-demon
08-05-09, 14:29
If that makes me one sad, lonely, greasy sex offender then so be it, i'd be a much lonlier person without them.

You can still call them, e-mail and send letters (outdated but it has a personal touch).

You can't be lonely because you have kids! Children can be annoying little skin blobs but interesting ones too. My little half-brother, bless him, his face lit up when I let him play Spore.

Little shite wouldn't let me back on my laptop. But the love is there. Be a while till me and my fiance produce little demons but I can't wait. To hell with video games and online bollocks. I hear stories of parents neglected kids to play WoW and it makes me lose faith in the failing human species. I myself was nearly an orphan due to my dad playing Quake 2 online.

I stand by this statement: real life kicks ass. People just use the nets for escapism because some just can't cope. So many people stick their face in front of a screen and forget everything. But it's still there. Never goes away.

nobby
08-05-09, 15:29
If it wasn't for Social Networking, if you can include skype into the equation...

I wouldn't have met my wonderful Japanese friend Keiji, who then introduced me to an American Kid being the same age and Japan Fanatic I was.
Which then wouldn't have led us both to travel to Japan together at 16...
Which then I wouldn't have experienced Japan at which I had always dreamed about going to since I was tiny...

To which wouldn't have made me have a flair and love for Traveling, in which I traveled to Japan, Egypt and Canada last year in a Three month Period :p

Social Networking Saved my life, literally!

Doc Holliday
08-05-09, 15:33
I'm pretty sure he was joking, Nymph! :)

Al - You got "SERVED" at pool by that guy with the broken hand...

Black 'n Gold, Black 'n Gold...

in this instance i feel the need to agree. al. you got served. :) i have pics to prove it when that fookin card reader shows up.

Hell-demon
08-05-09, 17:37
If it wasn't for Social Networking, if you can include skype into the equation...

I wouldn't have met my wonderful Japanese friend Keiji, who then introduced me to an American Kid being the same age and Japan Fanatic I was.
Which then wouldn't have led us both to travel to Japan together at 16...
Which then I wouldn't have experienced Japan at which I had always dreamed about going to since I was tiny...

To which wouldn't have made me have a flair and love for Traveling, in which I traveled to Japan, Egypt and Canada last year in a Three month Period :p

Social Networking Saved my life, literally!

Yeah social networking is full of the wapenese. I'd be careful going to Japan as they are very xenophobic of us westerners, especially if you are a Japanophile.

By the way did you ever see one of those used panty vending machines?

nobby
08-05-09, 21:52
I Never did see a used Panty machine.

I must admit however, that xenophobic comment is entirely true :(

My last Trip to Japan, I went about on my own more often than hanging out with my mate like before. And as a result, I experienced a LOT of Racism towards me... Or "Silent Ignorant cuntish Behaviour."

The local train which I had to get from where I was staying, to get to the main districts just 5 minutes away, had very dodgey station stop screens that would sometimes crash.
As a result, I would simply ask people "Excuse me, what station is this," the reply I got from particular Females, would be total Ignorance, to the point of turning around and walking away towards their group of friends.
I'd run up to them in a fright because of fear of missing my stop, and they'd simply give me the quick glance and still fucking ignore me.

I nearly punched a woman in the back of the head because of this behaviour which was simply out of order :mad:

Had this happen to me at over 6 different places...

I get told I look bloody 12 years old, so the last thing, someone like myself would expect, is to be thought of as a threat !
It really hurt me sometimes :(

Lexxuk
08-05-09, 22:37
Its ok Nobby, I get that all over the world, whenever I run up to a female and start talking to her, she tells me to fuck off and walks away :( :lol: :lol:

nobby
08-05-09, 22:47
At least they speak to you :(

:p

Nymphette79
08-05-09, 23:35
You can't be lonely because you have kids! Children can be annoying little skin blobs but interesting ones too. My little half-brother, bless him, his face lit up when I let him play Spore.

Childrens company & conversation is very very different to adults.
I love my babies beyond description but sometimes being a single parent is very hard, you try being judge, jury & executioner to 3 kids aged 2,3 & 4, they gang up on u & revolt lol. And yes they fill my heart to bursting & my days of laughter but at the end of the day after i've moped all the floors done umpteen loads of washing/ironing I sit & laugh at Dirty Sanchez alone, it sucks, but occasionally i'll get a text or a call from someone special and its lovely & the calls & texts I look forward to the most are from people i've met over the internet, they know who they are & they know how special they are to me, they have helped me out in many areas ;) & without them i'd probably have gone mad by now.

Im not saying that real life is bad or anything im just saying that for some of us its a little less attainable.
And as you can probably tell i've taken up violin lessons in my spare time
xxx

ROZZER187
08-05-09, 23:47
in this instance i feel the need to agree. al. you got served. :) i have pics to prove it when that fookin card reader shows up.

everyone who was dumb enough to play nath got served lol.wanna see how drunk gaz looks on those pics. :lol:

Doc Holliday
09-05-09, 02:35
everyone who was dumb enough to play nath got served lol.wanna see how drunk gaz looks on those pics. :lol:

and then there was me. who sucked it up and fluked so many shots on nick from beardy efforts that i won the first game and succeeded in potting the black before the game was over on my second. good times :)

ROZZER187
09-05-09, 13:03
i handed nick the game and he still didn't finish it up lol

Hell-demon
09-05-09, 15:08
I Never did see a used Panty machine.

I must admit however, that xenophobic comment is entirely true :(

My last Trip to Japan, I went about on my own more often than hanging out with my mate like before. And as a result, I experienced a LOT of Racism towards me... Or "Silent Ignorant cuntish Behaviour."

The local train which I had to get from where I was staying, to get to the main districts just 5 minutes away, had very dodgey station stop screens that would sometimes crash.
As a result, I would simply ask people "Excuse me, what station is this," the reply I got from particular Females, would be total Ignorance, to the point of turning around and walking away towards their group of friends.
I'd run up to them in a fright because of fear of missing my stop, and they'd simply give me the quick glance and still fucking ignore me.

I nearly punched a woman in the back of the head because of this behaviour which was simply out of order :mad:

Had this happen to me at over 6 different places...

I get told I look bloody 12 years old, so the last thing, someone like myself would expect, is to be thought of as a threat !
It really hurt me sometimes :(

Yep. That's the problem with Japanophiles. They love the culture, the language and the country, but the Japanese people...well, they don't like Japanophiles. It's sad as you get all geared up and ready to go to that land of your dreams only to be looked down on. Shame really.

Honestly? No panty vending machines?

THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU GO?!

flib
09-05-09, 17:38
Little shite wouldn't let me back on my laptop. But the love is there. Be a while till me and my fiance produce little demons but I can't wait. To hell with video games and online bollocks. I hear stories of parents neglected kids to play WoW and it makes me lose faith in the failing human species. I myself was nearly an orphan due to my dad playing Quake 2 online.
That really sucks dude..
Quake 2 sucked.

Hell-demon
09-05-09, 18:41
My dad now plays Unreal 3 and goes by the name Little Bo Peep. Just so nerds can feel humiliated by getting killed by someone with such a twee name. Dad says everyone rage quits by the 3rd round-he's that good!

Pretty good going for 55 year old.

Doc Holliday
09-05-09, 21:37
My dad now plays Unreal 3 and goes by the name Little Bo Peep. Just so nerds can feel humiliated by getting killed by someone with such a twee name. Dad says everyone rage quits by the 3rd round-he's that good!

Pretty good going for 55 year old.

dude thats awesome. ut3 really had so much potential but sucked. i have it and i do dip in at times but thats a good story

Hell-demon
10-05-09, 02:16
My dad got me into gaming. As a kid I was kept awake at night by gunfire (his study was next to my room) and so I'd hop out of bed in my little jammies and watch dad play games. He played quake 2 online and suffered really bad ping, he liked quake 3 arena too and got my uncle interested in half-life (did I mention my dad has a goatee, glasses and an uncanny resemblance to Gordon Freeman?).

Now he plays unreal tournament. He used to play unreal tournament 2004 but since a work colleague dropped his mac and broke it my dad was made an uber pc by the IT guys at his work so he thought he would dip into ut3.

Put it this way the rig has water cooling, led lights, 10 usb ports, i7 processor, 12 firewire slots two TB hard drives, shit loads of memory, dual monitors, powered by half the national grid and a sweat shop of chinese orphans. They built him this monolith of a rig to make up for busting his shitty mac.

Yet, with all the bells and whistles they forgot to put in a wireless card :rolleyes:

Doc Holliday
10-05-09, 03:41
My dad got me into gaming. As a kid I was kept awake at night by gunfire (his study was next to my room) and so I'd hop out of bed in my little jammies and watch dad play games. He played quake 2 online and suffered really bad ping, he liked quake 3 arena too and got my uncle interested in half-life (did I mention my dad has a goatee, glasses and an uncanny resemblance to Gordon Freeman?).

Now he plays unreal tournament. He used to play unreal tournament 2004 but since a work colleague dropped his mac and broke it my dad was made an uber pc by the IT guys at his work so he thought he would dip into ut3.

Put it this way the rig has water cooling, led lights, 10 usb ports, i7 processor, 12 firewire slots two TB hard drives, shit loads of memory, dual monitors, powered by half the national grid and a sweat shop of chinese orphans. They built him this monolith of a rig to make up for busting his shitty mac.

Yet, with all the bells and whistles they forgot to put in a wireless card :rolleyes:

your dad 1. the IT dudes nil.

ut2k4 is still a better game though.

Hell-demon
10-05-09, 05:01
Yeah.

MMMMMMMUUUUULTI KILL!

flib
10-05-09, 05:36
My favorite is still UT99

William Antrim
10-05-09, 13:24
Childrens company & conversation is very very different to adults.
I love my babies beyond description but sometimes being a single parent is very hard, you try being judge, jury & executioner to 3 kids aged 2,3 & 4, they gang up on u & revolt lol. And yes they fill my heart to bursting & my days of laughter but at the end of the day after i've moped all the floors done umpteen loads of washing/ironing I sit & laugh at Dirty Sanchez alone, it sucks, but occasionally i'll get a text or a call from someone special and its lovely & the calls & texts I look forward to the most are from people i've met over the internet, they know who they are & they know how special they are to me, they have helped me out in many areas ;) & without them i'd probably have gone mad by now.

Im not saying that real life is bad or anything im just saying that for some of us its a little less attainable.
And as you can probably tell i've taken up violin lessons in my spare time
xxx

I feel bad for not texting now! Ill phone you soon, its time i had a good whinge at someone and you can tell me how to sort it all out! ;)