PDA

View Full Version : Request Vista/Linux advice and solutions.

JohnGalt
02-05-09, 02:13
I have started this thread to listen and learn from all of you players about what works, does not work, configurations etc... concerning Vista/Linux and Neocron and what ever is known by some about Black Prophecy.

Please respond with any information that you think will be helpful. Some Examples of the direction of information I (and maybe others would like to know).

*Does NC (will BP) run on Vista 64 or is Vista 32 the way to go. Any os configuration suggestions?

*What laptop/desktop configurations and operating system is working best for you with Vista/Linux and NC future BP?

*How is Linux running NC? What configuration of software and hardware/drivers kick ass (for those of us who are sick of windows)?

*What do you think the best configuration (hardware and software/drivers) is to run the game?

*Any issue with hardware, configurations, and drivers you have suggestions on.? What you hate for hardware/drivers etc…?

Some of you are quite creative, share you magic with us.

Insert any links to information you think is helpful. All constructive contributions are welcome.
Attention to all: if links are provided by players please have your virus software running just in case someone uses this post to spread the swine flu.

Teach me fellow players I am all ears :) and as always thank you for your time.

Brammers
02-05-09, 02:28
If you are installing NC on Vista - Have a check here. http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140582 I'm not a Vista user, but I'm sure some of the Vista users will help out.

As for Black Prophecy on Linux, well it's not out, not even in beta yet. However considering it has some sexy graphics which will need, I suspect a Direct 9.0c card min...well who knows. Wine may run it or not.

And NC in Linux, well it works! - There is a massive thread here - http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140262 and it's summed up here on the NC wiki - http://wiki.techhaven.org/Running_Neocron_in_Linux

Selket
02-05-09, 10:30
nc in linuc works like an ace,

i ran for month and had not even one FRE. so its save, I remember to not have many issues installing it. Usuing Ubuntu (other distros didnt work very well)

Setlec
02-05-09, 19:25
adding some comments to Selket: i rum nc on wine on mandriva 2009 and Fedora 10 without problem!

on vista 32/64bit you have to run the game as administrator otherwise it wouldn't write files on the nc folder.

On both OS i didn't have much problem at all times to times i get a fatal error but it's rare...

Cheers

JohnGalt
04-05-09, 03:17
Good info and links thank-you. If your running Vista please list 32bit or 64 bit.

Those that have fixed sound issues what was your solution to your particular problem, what sound card/driver worked did not work Linux/Vista

Loading NC: It is clear from other comments that NC should be loaded directly on the C: drive in its own folder (C:/MyNeocron as an example) this should give you less headaches and if necessary enable you to adjust the permissions/authorized users and for read/write issues to that C:/MyNeocron folder without changing things in other folders. Just one F.Y.I. I have seen repeated in other posts.

Keep your solutions/suggestions/links coming.

Thank-you,
JohnGalt

"Life is good, Love the Game!"

Setlec
04-05-09, 03:26
what sound issues? i use the sound card embedded on my motherboard never had an issue since the beta driver for vista...

Good info and links thank-you. If your running Vista please list 32bit or 64 bit.what for?`it doesn't matter!

Loading NC: It is clear from other comments that NC should be loaded directly on the C: drive in its own folder (C:/MyNeocron as an example) this should give you less headaches and if necessary enable you to adjust the permissions/authorized users and for read/write issues to that C:/MyNeocron folder without changing things in other folders. Just one F.Y.I. I have seen repeated in other posts. my option is one of many possible solutions pick one that you think the best for you.

Keep your solutions/suggestions/links coming. i think that is all info that you can get no more no less...

Cheers

MrTrip
04-05-09, 05:59
Good info and links thank-you. If your running Vista please list 32bit or 64 bit.

Those that have fixed sound issues what was your solution to your particular problem, what sound card/driver worked did not work Linux/Vista

Loading NC: It is clear from other comments that NC should be loaded directly on the C: drive in its own folder (C:/MyNeocron as an example) this should give you less headaches and if necessary enable you to adjust the permissions/authorized users and for read/write issues to that C:/MyNeocron folder without changing things in other folders. Just one F.Y.I. I have seen repeated in other posts.

Keep your solutions/suggestions/links coming.

Thank-you,
JohnGalt

"Life is good, Love the Game!"

I hate that font color.

Now, continuing on...

I have had no sound issues...whats your problem?

I run Windows 7 x64.

On Vista x64 no problems.

On Linux Mint no problems.

On anything really, no problems.

Except now, but I found out thats because my hard drive is crapping its self.

And yes I always install to C:\Neocron2 instead of Program Files because I hate Program Files.

Never had any serious NC issues in all the time I have played.

zii
05-05-09, 23:25
:

*How is Linux running NC? What configuration of software and hardware/drivers kick ass (for those of us who are sick of windows)?

Sony Vaio SZ90 (Intel Core Duo 2.19Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 5400rpm disc, & I think a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400.)

Ubuntu 8.04 & wine-1.1.20

*What do you think the best configuration (hardware and software/drivers) is to run the game?

A better graphics card than mine & a faster RPM disc... ;)

*Any issue with hardware, configurations, and drivers you have suggestions on.? What you hate for hardware/drivers etc…?

None. I followed the instructions (in the end) on the techhaven.org wiki and all went like a lovely day looking up girls skirts and getting to see some...

SizZLeR
06-05-09, 11:51
In general on Vista its my personal experience, that its better to install games in a custom folder rather than their default folder under "Program Files" or "Programs" as those folders are protected and wont let your game write to files inside them.

However ive always been installing all my games onto "C:\Games" and therefore never had any problems with it.

NC runs perfectly on Vista 64 and so far ive only come accross one app that wouldnt run on 64Bit because it was a 32Bit driver that never made it to a 64Bit version.

Everything else i wanted to run ive found a solution for either thru patches or dedicated 64Bit versions.

If u go Vista, id recommend the 64Bit as it is faster and supports more than 4GB total mem (keep in mind that the 4GB limit in 32bit includes videomem etc.)

Also when u need to run games on Vista, i wouldnt recommend less than 4GB of mem, but mem is cheap and even 8GB aint gonna rip you off. :-D

If for some reason u happen to have apps u might rarely use and will only run under 32Bit OS, u can install both the 64Bit and the 32Bit vista on the same computer using dualboot.

Mine is set up like that and it works flawlessly, and when u buy a retail version of Vista it comes with both the 32 and the 64 version included.

Actually i had a long talk with MS registration desk about running both on the same computer simoultaniously.

The rules of registration says, that u may only have one installation per licensecode, but theres a grey zone, because i asked the guy from MS: "What if i install it on two different harddrives and unplug the SATA cable from the drive im not using while using the other?".

He replied that he clearly saw my point and that he couldnt argue with that. :lol:

So get the retail, install both (if u need it) and if someone shows up to chk your license, just unplug the hd with the OS not currenly running. :-D

JohnGalt
11-05-09, 14:32
I hate that font color.

Font color will not be used any more ;)
JG