PDA

View Full Version : FPS losses on a laptop (dev smoke/blood traces)

Neallys
10-04-09, 03:39
Hey,

First of all I don't know if this part of the forum is the good one to ask this but, I have this laptop:

dv9000 series HP
Intel Core2Duo CPU T7300 2GHZ
2GO RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS (HUH!)
And...Vista (DOUBLE HUH!)

Now I know the GPU is a little bit BS but I did change a few things around the Nvidia control panel and most of the times I get 90fps. The main problem is whenever I play with devourer or someone does, once the smoke is around it just kills my fps down to 20ish. This issue has probably been discussed many times, still I didn't find a way to correct this? I get the same with FA for example, or when there are a lot of blood traces (AK shots) on the ground. I noticed this problem is less important in DX7, but I can't really play in DX7 as fps are really low.

Thanks for your help!

Kalonji Faya
10-04-09, 05:17
with a video card like yours all sprites on your screens can cause lag, like drug flash, dev fire, or even some explosion
its not about your hardware, cause I have the same pbs on a 8800gtx when being shooted with a dev on df
even sometimes a df brings me to about 40-50 fps

the only way I found to avoid that is to cancel fsaa and anisotropi filter

hope you'll find a way :)

kal

nabbl
10-04-09, 15:25
I think its a 128 mb ram gpu... u need a minimum of 256mb to run neocron smoothly with devourer and everything.

the problem is that neocron tries to fill the gpu ram with bitmap graphics, which are kinda much with the fire effect of the devourer.

its always a problem with sprites...

Neallys
11-04-09, 09:56
I think its a 128 mb ram gpu... u need a minimum of 256mb to run neocron smoothly with devourer and everything.

the problem is that neocron tries to fill the gpu ram with bitmap graphics, which are kinda much with the fire effect of the devourer.

its always a problem with sprites...

Actually the 8400M GS is a 256MB RAM GPU. It's actually weird that just because of smoke my fps are like super-fucked, I mean getting down from 90fps to 11fps, you better hope no one will use a devourer around while you are fighting :p Anyway is there any way to fix this? Isn't there a legit way to delete blood/smoke sprites, or change a DirectX setting to correct it?

I usually play on my desktop and It has a 7600GS which is also a 256MB RAM GPU, and I don't have that problem at all.

Seraphin[69]
11-04-09, 11:15
Say thanks to pixel shaders your GF7 didn't know about !

Since EVO 2.1 they made changes but didn't optimized them enought

Neallys
11-04-09, 11:46
Is there anyone who knows how to tell my other Geforce 8400M GS to fuck off with pixel shaders then?

:P

Sophie
09-07-09, 11:30
I have a GF 8800 GT and the same problem with mostly all APU module animations(smoke, dust, aso.).
I did try to make nvidia profile settings for client.exe and "launcher".exe disabling AA, AF and Vsync off. I tried DX7 and DX9. Nothing helped.
Normal fps around 60-90, drops to 5 (unplayable) if APU module animations are drawn.

How can I force my graphics card to use a specific shader (1.0?) for neocron, if this helps?

flib
09-07-09, 12:00
I've had the same problem on my desktop since I started playing 3 years ago. I have a Radeon x850XT-PE. (best card of the generation)
I play on my notebook now, which has a GeForce 9500M GS, and that runs it great.

My secondary desktop had issues too. I think it was mostly due to low amount of system memory, but 9 out of 10 times, the game simply wouldn't sync into the game. If I had accidentally left Firefox or something open, and had somehow managed to sync in, I would get the same problem with certain graphics things messing up FPS. (drugflash, dev, blood sprites, etc)

tl;dr: close firefox before playing nc

Archtemplar
09-07-09, 13:48
I have a 8800gtx, with 4gb RAM, 2.2quad core and the hilariously unoptimized dev fire lags me. Dont blame your comp, blame poor optimization.

silent000
09-07-09, 16:17
On every system I have played Neocron on I have the Dev lagg issue. The outcome was always the same... Run and hide like a girl if someone uses a dev :(

Chosen One
09-07-09, 20:53
[ edited ]

Hell-demon
09-07-09, 21:16
Fire based attacks in neocron kill fps as well as the opponent. I remember having a crap rig and getting spammed by acolyte preachers. FPS dropped to a crawl.

If you are in a big fight and someone has a devourer you will go into "bullet time". If your rig is big so will your score be and your penis! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sophie
10-07-09, 16:30
I dont think the problem belongs to the shader-version or unoptimised shaders.

If I'm using DX 7 there is no shadersupport at all, still the problem is there.

Additionaly I did a test forcing my GPU to Pixel Shader 1.4 and Vertex Shader 1.1 and it had no impact under DX9. (using Rivatuner)

Any other ideas?

Trilaac
10-07-09, 16:44
my home pc has no problems with dev or fire (i have a dev for my tank and an apu with a range of spells, including fire) and there are no problems there.
My graphics card there is an Nvidia 8600GTS with 512MB RAM.

Now at work my machine is crap, the graphics card is an ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 (that's what is says, it seems to span 3 different generations of gfx card).

Now, while on my home pc I have a constant FPS of 90-100, the machine at work usually has between 12 and 60. When i'm in a base or empty zone the fps is up around 60, but some areas drops the fps to 12 (like if i go to the Juggernaut facility, walking near the Anarchy Breed lags me bad, but standing ont he other side of the zone is fine).

Unfortunately I haven't found out why it does this and what causes the lag around the anarchy breed, especially since there's no fire or weapons going off.

VegaH
10-07-09, 19:59
[ edited ]

Hell-demon
11-07-09, 01:30
[ edited ]

Neallys
11-07-09, 01:50
[ edited ]

Dont Mess
11-07-09, 03:30
[ edited ]

Hell-demon
11-07-09, 17:57
[ edited ]

danmalone
11-07-09, 18:18
Pff...90fps?

Get used to 15-20fps in fights. My pc sucks ass and thats all i ever get, worked fine for me altho used to get even worse in big op wars hence me usually on a ppu or rifle char ;)

Trilaac
11-07-09, 19:24
well, i get a continuous 80-90 fps during big fights, even with devourers..

at work though i just move away from where the problem is and that usually sorts it out just fine.

Nidhogg
11-07-09, 23:21
It's been a while since I did a mass edit. Thanks for wearing my fingers out.

Please, no more trolling/flaming/spam, ta.

N