PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting up NC2 O.o

cip299
06-04-09, 12:16
Hi there, I'm attempting to return to playing Neocron for a bit (I got nostalgic all of a sudden) but after installing and patching and ensuring all my drivers were up to date i try to run the game and it crashes.

The game displays the developer logos (10tacle, Reakktor etc.) but then goes onto the loading screen (PSI monk with fire in hand and mutanty things in background) where it then proceeds to stop responding and do nothing until I ctrl+alt+del and end the process.

I've searched through the forums a bit but can't seem to find a solution, anyone got any ideas as i would reeeeeally like to play again xD

cheers in advance

~Spanners

Nidhogg
06-04-09, 12:36
Firewall problem?

N

Kozmos
06-04-09, 13:11
open the ports in your firewall settings.

From the FAQ:
TCP/IP: 7000, 8020, 8040, 12000, 13000
UDP: 6000, 6001, 5000 - 5016

nobby
06-04-09, 13:49
God...

I was the person that found the Solution TWICE to this and yet people including niddy bloody forget... :(

When it crashes dear boy, open task manager, but instead of closing neocron.exe or what ever it is, close each and every other process (except NEEDED system ones)
one by one, close, close... etc

then suddenly the game'll start.

The last person that had this problem found that ending explorer.exe fixed it.

I better get a bloody hug ><

Nidhogg
06-04-09, 14:01
What do you want, a hero biscuit? :p

If that's the problem then you could use some more memory.

N

Zefrian
06-04-09, 14:50
"explorer.exe" is a central GUI component of Windows. 8|

If killing that process is the "solution", then i recommend a plain Reboot of the system, otherweise - as NidHogg already suggested: more RAM.

Also an solution might be to investigate, which Processes are started automatically and secretly. That might be some "Update watchers" or "fast start components". And: Investigate your Tray icon list in the right down corner!
Microsoft implemented an process to hide "unused icons". What they realy do with that is to hide the problem of many many many (some unneccessary) background tasks, which also eat up system recources. Do you really need for example that 'xyz' Messenger loaded into memory, even if you do not created an account for it? Do you really need that "CD Burning program tool" remaining in memory, if you need it one time a week maximum? That are just examples ... simply check your System a little bit.

Nidhogg
06-04-09, 14:54
An easy way to check on all the hidden startup crap is to run "msconfig" from the command prompt. Then just hit the "Startup" tab.

Be careful in this tool!

N

Biglines
06-04-09, 15:03
or just do what nobby said and play, worst that can happen is having to reboot, while ur hints of playing around with systems settings can do far more damage with the average computer user

Kozmos
06-04-09, 21:15
God...

I was the person that found the Solution TWICE to this and yet people including niddy bloody forget... :(

When it crashes dear boy, open task manager, but instead of closing neocron.exe or what ever it is, close each and every other process (except NEEDED system ones)
one by one, close, close... etc

then suddenly the game'll start.

The last person that had this problem found that ending explorer.exe fixed it.

I better get a bloody hug ><

so the solution is to poke in the dark untill your PC either crashes, freezes, or neocron works ... Closing explorer.exe stops windows gui functioning, yeah free's up a bit of ram but practically renders your PC useless as you wont be able to load anymore programs untill a reboot... bit of a 'gaffertape' solution...

Reaction77
06-04-09, 21:34
You can start it again. Ctrl + Alt + Del > File > New Task > explorer.exe

But, if memory is the problem. I would personaly prefer just to buy another stick or two then to go through all that everytime I want to play.

Biglines
06-04-09, 23:37
You can start it again. Ctrl + Alt + Del > File > New Task > explorer.exe

But, if memory is the problem. I would personaly prefer just to buy another stick or two then to go through all that everytime I want to play.

remember most people don't know how to install ram (and I wudnt advice most people to do it themselves..), and paying the average 20 euro for installing something, + time spend bringing it to them means if closing explorer works, it is probably less of a hassle

it all depends on his skill with computers, plus it isnt even sure that it is lack of ram thats stopping neocron, cud be anything (jaffoo for example had steam interfering with neocron... which is something I never experienced, so tbh, neocron clients are not something a default cure is available for)

cip299
07-04-09, 00:17
Hmm, seriously wierd this...

Firewall isn't affecting it at all, but the task manager closing random processes does seem to work...to a certain degree...

After closing nearly everything my PC was running, including 2 of the windows service hosts, i got to the main menu, and was able to log in and create a new character on Terra. However on attempting to run the tutorial ( I haven't played in ages...) or indeed jump straight into the game after that, the game locked up again and refused to move until i closed more processes! Sadly every time i try to close more I am forced to close more of the svchost instances, and invariably one of these buggers up my PC and makes it have to reboot.

Surely there must be a better way to get this damn thing to work? :(

Yearning for neocron back...

~Spanners

L0KI
07-04-09, 09:19
I'd guess at the best way to getting the game to work is to purchase more RAM, as I would guess that is the cause of your problems.

Closing processes frees up RAM.

Out of curiousity; when was the last time you re-installed your OS?

rob444
07-04-09, 09:56
Nobby's solution might work because the user terminated the firewall process :lol:

Biglines
07-04-09, 10:50
svhost is a bugger because it's not actually required, try searching the web on how to disable it, it also solves the issue of explorer being fucking slow since IE7

L0KI
07-04-09, 11:12
svhost is a bugger because it's not actually required, try searching the web on how to disable it, it also solves the issue of explorer being fucking slow since IE7

From what I recall, Svhost is part of a worm virus, and SHOULD NOT be on your PC, at all.

If you're referring to SVChost, then that IS needed by Windows, as it controls the dynamic link library (dll's). Granted, you don't necessarily need so many instances of it running; as it groups itself up with certain application types and opens various instances to prevent it crashing and killing all applications.

I personally wouldn't bother disabling Svchost unless you know exactly what you're doing. Guide or no guide, it's going to cause problems.

Nidhogg
07-04-09, 11:26
svchost is a stub program that is used to run Windows Services that are distributed as "naked" dll's. Some services are executables that can run on their own but most modern services are just link libraries these days. Of course you can't run a DLL on its own as it has to be loaded by a legit executable - hence svchost.exe.

It's therefore common to have potentially lots of svchost.exe processes running. Using a tool like process explorer you can actually see which Windows Service each one of them represents.

Top tip - don't just kill these things willy nilly because many of them are important! The correct way is to stop them properly is by using the services control panel applet.

Biglines
07-04-09, 12:03
k sorry, the one I was talking about is some kind of alternate input devices dll from office, which is the one that according toa lot of sites gets bloated gigantuanly

Doc Holliday
07-04-09, 14:06
svchost is a stub program that is used to run Windows Services that are distributed as "naked" dll's. Some services are executables that can run on their own but most modern services are just link libraries these days. Of course you can't run a DLL on its own as it has to be loaded by a legit executable - hence svchost.exe.

It's therefore common to have potentially lots of svchost.exe processes running. Using a tool like process explorer you can actually see which Windows Service each one of them represents.

Top tip - don't just kill these things willy nilly because many of them are important! The correct way is to stop them properly is by using the services control panel applet.

another top tip. dont insult nids intelligence. this is the reason he is the man around here.

nobby
08-04-09, 00:20
Hmm, seriously wierd this...

Firewall isn't affecting it at all, but the task manager closing random processes does seem to work...to a certain degree...
~Spanners

See !

Nobby was right afterall

To a certain degree :p

MrTrip
13-04-09, 08:49
Try going to your run box and doing

c:\path\to\NC\Client.exe -precache

Then see if you can launch.

If not, try changing the settings in the config window of the NC Launcher.

If that fails, check for spyware.

MrTrip
13-04-09, 08:52

If you use Vista, you can right click on svchost.exe that is taking up the most memory and click Go To Service(s) and it will highlight all the services that are running under that svchost.exe