PDA

View Full Version : New Black Prophecy cinematic trailer released

SnowCrash
30-03-09, 14:39
Amongst others, the trailer shows never before seen in-game epic battle action between the two dominant races, the Tyi and the Genides, and gives a first glimpse on the mysterious alien race known as “The Restorers”.

Check it out now! (http://blackprophecy-game.com/index.php?id=5)

L0KI
30-03-09, 14:52
Ooooohhhh - Can't wait to see this!

Downloading as we speak! I'm really looking forward to BP.

Oh, btw... Patch Neocron :D

EDIT - Nice vid. I was really hoping to see a little more than just a fight though. I'd love to see some of the planet/station docking footage, and the interface!

Looks very nice graphically! I wonder what the minimum specs will be... Will it require a 4870 to look half decent?

flib
30-03-09, 15:15
Looks very pretty. When do we get to test it? >_<

CMaster
30-03-09, 15:35
Looks absolutley stunning - JG:E and EvE don't have anything on that. Like Loki however, concerned about the system reqs - and also actually about the rather heavy use of effects at points.
Voice over man was terrible - really hope we don't have to put up with him in actual game.

@ Loki - it was a "cinematic trailer" - designed to be dramatic and impressive.. For what you want to see, the convention is to release seperate "gameplay" videos these days, often with some developer chat attached.

Brammers
30-03-09, 15:41
It is an awesome trailer, loved the music, but like Cmaster I didn't like the voiceover.

Can't wait to try it! :D

L0KI
30-03-09, 16:14
@ Loki - it was a "cinematic trailer" - designed to be dramatic and impressive.. For what you want to see, the convention is to release seperate "gameplay" videos these days, often with some developer chat attached.

Ahaaa, thank you.

The term 'cinematic trailer' should have been self-explanatory, but apparently not in my case ;)

In that case; yes, it was graphically stunning. I still remain concerned about the minimum system requirements, and I'd like to see a planet in more detail!

I'm hoping a gameplay video will follow shortly! Followed closely by the beta, of course.

Mortum
30-03-09, 16:20
Really nice :)

Hell-demon
30-03-09, 17:01
Hey I see they got Tony the Tiger to do the voice over.

mmmmmmm frosties.....

Skusty
30-03-09, 17:20
Looks nice, but I laughed at the voice. :lol:

Hell-demon
30-03-09, 17:26
[ edited ]

L0KI
30-03-09, 17:40
Hey I see they got Tony the Tiger to do the voice over.

I lol'd.

I wondered where I recognised that voice from!

Tratos
30-03-09, 18:31
Looks awesome! Especially the Restorers at the end, woop woop.

Kanedax
30-03-09, 19:08
Looked awesome, I hope my poor PC can run it with 2 4850s a Q6600 and 8 GB RAM :O

Mr_Snow
30-03-09, 19:56
Looks funky, I dont know why everyone keeps comparing it to EVE, to me its more like Homeworld. Hoping it turns out to be a good game, havent enjoyed a joystick game since the x-wing versus tie fighter series.

And the voiceover dude sounds like tont the tiger trying to do a Worf from star trek impression.

Hell-demon
30-03-09, 20:29
The guy is schitzo. WE WILL FIGHT!!!!!11111!!!!!

omg we will get pwned for pwning!!!!111

Trivaldi
30-03-09, 20:39
Hell-Demon, cut the spam. If you have criticism, keep it constructive.

Selendor
30-03-09, 22:43
Great trailer, what an enthusiastic voice over man, reminded me of those 300 film spoofs about Sparta ;)

Soo...did anyone notice the Copyright at the end - AAA Capital Games (http://www.aaacapital-atlantic.de/index.html) = funding the game?

CMaster
30-03-09, 22:53
Great trailer, what an enthusiastic voice over man, reminded me of those 300 film spoofs about Sparta ;)

Soo...did anyone notice the Copyright at the end - AAA Capital Games (http://www.aaacapital-atlantic.de/index.html) = funding the game?
Yeah, apparently KK's new (ish) owner, of exactly how long we're not sure, found out about this over at the TPN about a week ago. Very hard to find out much about them by googling. Were involved with GTRII (another 10T game), Holger Nanrath worked there for a while and they are a privatley owned company, so hopefully less prone to overreaching than 10T.

nobby
31-03-09, 02:18
I was really getting into the it, the prettiness was awesome, then i chuckled at the voice-over through the rest of it :D

It was a bit unneeded imo :p

Animated
31-03-09, 11:29
Its certainly generating some attention:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/03/31/voiceover-dude-is-scaring-me-black-prophecy/

Nidhogg
31-03-09, 13:27
See, they like the VO dude. :)

N

aKe`cj
31-03-09, 13:40

N

Dont worry - nobody is ever going to find out it was you :p

Brammers
31-03-09, 14:14
Dont worry - nobody is ever going to find out it was you :p

I think the betting between the TPN staff had Nidhogg as the hot favourite! :p

I don't know why, but in the end you start to like the voiceover. It does work beautifully at the end when those restorers appear. :eek:

Chosen One
31-03-09, 14:35
never thought id say this...but wow, it looks really really good :wtf:

Nidhogg
31-03-09, 14:49
It's an American accent. Doesn't sound anything like me. :p

N

CMaster
31-03-09, 16:41

N

Massivley (http://www.massively.com/2009/03/30/black-prophecy-cinematic-trailer-reveals-ancient-restorer-race/) readers don't however.

Hell-demon
31-03-09, 16:46
So far all we have is eye candy, and pretty graphics don't make a game. We know nothing about the gameplay, system requirements or even how KK are fairing after the insolvency.

Can't we have footage of gameplay and not just ships or colourful yet empty space?

How about a view from a cock pit or an interview with a developer with behind the scenes stuff. This isn't nothing new to us after the last trailer albeit with a hammy voice actor off his meds.

Trilaac
31-03-09, 17:16
Interesting looking game. Looks like it could be a threat to EVE-Online if it's good :D

Got a release date yet?

nobby
31-03-09, 17:17
That is true.

We've seen enough of these eye-candy trailers.

I too really want to see how the user interface will look, realism of cockpit view etc...

Chosen One
31-03-09, 17:47
Massivley (http://www.massively.com/2009/03/30/black-prophecy-cinematic-trailer-reveals-ancient-restorer-race/) readers don't however.

well look at most of the comments made...they all play WoW...what do you expect from people that dont play real games :lol:

Hell-demon
31-03-09, 18:43
well look at most of the comments made...they all play WoW...what do you expect from people that dont play real games :lol:

Good point. Although WoW had Mr. T in their ads. We need him in BP.

"I ain't getting on no ship!"

flib
01-04-09, 05:09
They should get Chuck Norris; I hear he's cheap these days.

L0KI
01-04-09, 09:50
Although WoW had Mr. T in their ads.

Wasn't that Snickers, air fool?

Biglines
01-04-09, 11:46
Mr T was in soo many commercials it was sad (snickers, WoW, tellsell)

Hell-demon
01-04-09, 14:28
It does need A-Team goodness.

This should do click (http://tubedubber.com/#6iAwfPaZous:wyz_2DEah4o:0:100:0:0:true)

-FN-
02-04-09, 19:38
Yeah... the voiceover guy needs to be punched in the throat and forced into a new line of work. Not only do I hope to never hear that voice in a trailer again, he just has to be better at something else :rolleyes:

Trailer was... m'eh ok? It's still in the Vendetta Online/EVE Online/Jumpgate Evolution genre and pretty much instills zero interest in me.

Chosen One
02-04-09, 20:22
Yeah... the voiceover guy needs to be punched in the throat and forced into a new line of work. Not only do I hope to never hear that voice in a trailer again, he just has to be better at something else :rolleyes:

Trailer was... m'eh ok? It's still in the Vendetta Online/EVE Online/Jumpgate Evolution genre and pretty much instills zero interest in me.

100% agreed

drop BP and patch NC :D

Hell-demon
02-04-09, 22:44
No one like my vid? :(

Biglines
02-04-09, 22:51

lolled at that, dint even sound too bad (only watched first 20sec or so though ;))

Hell-demon
02-04-09, 22:54
It actually kinda fitted the whole thing :wtf:

phunqe
03-04-09, 11:30
Please note that my following comment does not seek to trivialize or condescend the work being done on BP in any way. I have the utmost respect for the developers.

NC made such an impact on me that just by seeing the Reakktor logo in the beginning of the trailers gives me goosebumps. Unfortunately, I then cannot help thinking what could have been if the work being put into BP instead would have taken the best and what have been learned from NC1 and NC2, making a new MMO in the same genre (not necessarily named Neocron even).

I cannot divulge any information due to NDAs, but on a general note I can say that a few (two in particular) upcoming sci-fi/cypunk mmos have nothing against NCs originality and ideas. Basically the whole atmosphere of NC is something that cannot be copied (or at least it hasn't been yet).
I try to believe in the coming games, only to be disappointed.

I want to believe again...

L0KI
03-04-09, 12:56
Neocron and most of the ideas behind it came from the head of MJS. The team at ReaKKtor made it a reality.

MJS’s departure from KK left them with a game based on his ideas. The way I look at it, BP is a way for the new team to make a game based on their ideas.

I might be wrong, but they’re my thoughts on it!

CMaster
03-04-09, 13:12
I personally can certainly understand that after how long they spent on Neocron, the team wanting to work on something different, something new - game development is a creative as well as a technical industry, and that has to start to feel stifled after 6 years or whatever on the same game.

Edit:
For contrast with this, Kotaku have a new Jumpagte:Evolution video (http://kotaku.com/5195403/jumpgate-evolution-when-darkness-falls) along much the same lines (showing the different factions fighting it out). In contrast, the art style is much more sleek and simple, much more primary colour driven. Nothing like as pretty. Rather than having a terrible voiceover, they just have equally cliché, badly written text phrases flash up on screen. However their entry into the "so stupid you laugh at it" contest has to be the skyscraper city glued to a metre thick, very wide rock in space. Probably a bit silly that an overexcited voice over.

Hell-demon
03-04-09, 13:59
Good point. However Neocron is very unique and creative, where as a space sim mmo isn't. Be like making a fantasy role playing game.

L0KI
03-04-09, 14:42
Good point. However Neocron is very unique and creative, where as a space sim mmo isn't. Be like making a fantasy role playing game.

I see your point, and generally, I'd agree with you. It just depends I guess. It depends what they do with the world/universe; and it depends on what they do with the gameplay itself. As phunqe said earlier in this thread, there are plenty of sci-fi/post apoc MMOs soon to be in beta; not one of which looks even a fraction as good as Neocron was/is. If BP follows the same suit, its gameplay could make up for its rather generic theme.

The questions I keep asking myself are: 'Will it be better than Jumpgate: Evolution?' and 'Will it attract players?'.

Infinity Universe looks astonishing too; but I don't expect that to be released before 2011.

I just don't want to see BP following Neocron down the same path of sparse patch dates and a comparitively tiny community.

Hell-demon
03-04-09, 15:45
I guess it is too early to say. All we have are computer generated pixels at this point. However making space fun is hard.

Think about it space is made up of mostly...nothingness. Gotta make that interesting, so you put in ships to fight. Now if the ship gameplay mechanics are crap the game starts to have very little to go on. You can fill space with asteroids and planets but there just spheres and blobs essentially.

NPC's will be in ship or space station form so there really is never gonna be as much depth as talking to a human avatar as there is by talking to a generic ship or station. Travelling through space is boring too.

Thrusters engaged, warp gates active...wait...wait..wait...destination! Trade, make money, buy stuff then explode. Repeat.

Chosen One
03-04-09, 16:23
I guess it is too early to say. All we have are computer generated pixels at this point. However making space fun is hard.

Think about it space is made up of mostly...nothingness. Gotta make that interesting, so you put in ships to fight. Now if the ship gameplay mechanics are crap the game starts to have very little to go on. You can fill space with asteroids and planets but there just spheres and blobs essentially.

NPC's will be in ship or space station form so there really is never gonna be as much depth as talking to a human avatar as there is by talking to a generic ship or station. Travelling through space is boring too.

Thrusters engaged, warp gates active...wait...wait..wait...destination! Trade, make money, buy stuff then explode. Repeat.

couldnt put this in better words, :)

L0KI
03-04-09, 16:36
I guess my mildly geeky side is coming out here, but I find the nothingness of space to be quite intriguing (even if that space is a fictional one), and as has been proven in Eve, areas of it will be more renowned than others. Space games have the ability to provide a completely ‘sandbox’ experience.

Players will make that nothingness into somethingness; that’s guaranteed.

As you say though, IF the combat mechanics are flawed, it’s all for nothing.

Hell-demon
03-04-09, 16:53
EVE has been doing well with the random wormhole thing, I'll give you that. Wormhole fucks you off into a barren dangerous part of space and then if you're unlucky the wormhole closes. This isolation has thrilled the players. That is creative.

A space sim mmo needs a lot of creativity and KK have that. What they don't have is good implementation. They may have a team of coders and big bucks behind this, but if all you're gonna show is pretty graphics, ships flying and a laughable voice-over then you might as well put up a trailer for the star trek movie.

If Neocron is the father of BP then lets hope the sins of the father do not pass on to the son. What I mean is don't patch things which don't need patching, don't implement something for the games image rather than something players want (e.g texture revamps of the wasteland despite still not fixing the floating tree bug) and most of all listen to the community not just throw them a discarded bone but a meaty joint filled with what they want.

L0KI
03-04-09, 17:06
You make more than one very good point.

The biggest lesson to be learned, which, to this day I STILL don't believe KK understand, is COMMUNICATION IS EVERYTHING.

Be part of YOUR community, KK. It's simply not good enough to leave the responsibility to ‘Community Managers’ and ‘Forum Moderators’; however great they may be at communicating with us. If they don’t know, or they’re not allowed to say, then what’s the point?

/end slightly off topic rant.

Selendor
03-04-09, 17:52
We still know comparitively little about BP, whether thats because its still too early or because they are keeping their cards close to their chest, time will tell.

In terms of the setting, I agree that Eve's latest expansion will have given them food for thought, for me space should be about exploration as well as combat and mining. I hope that many secrets are hidden deep in the depths for people to discover (like in the wastelands before NC became fully explored).

Communication? Yes, it needs to be better, I think BP has the technology and creativity to beat Jumpgate but needs to gather a lot more column inches than its getting right now. And of course the communication between the community and the devs will need to be better than in Neocron. As you know, Eve's community includes a committee of elected players who meet with the devs to discuss player needs.

Hell-demon
03-04-09, 18:26
If we can customize ships into a giant pink phallus it would sell like hot cakes. Worked for Spore....kinda.

Kanedax
03-04-09, 18:30
If we can customize ships into a giant pink phallus it would sell like hot cakes. Worked for Spore....kinda.

It would definetly ensure the return of assman atleast.

Hell-demon
03-04-09, 18:31
And me.

But let's be serious, BP would have to do be something pretty special. Otherwise people will play it then go back to Eve because that has more depth.

nobby
03-04-09, 23:30

The vid just looked like it was buffering and never loaded for me.

You know what I'd like in this game... True roleplay.
Not startrek geeky style... but real immersion into people's job roles.

Say your clan pots their cash together and buys a nice space station to themselves.
Someone wants to dock their ship inside your space station, they have to get clearance.

Remember freelancer, guy's "webcam-like" face would appear in the top right and give you clearence, talk to you.

I'd love for real job roles like these, customer representatives, etc.

maybe a live webcam feed, small headset, talking to the player's ships, etc. Would be one of the most interesting things i would have EVER seen in an MMO.

Anyone agree?

Kanedax
04-04-09, 00:14
The vid just looked like it was buffering and never loaded for me.

You know what I'd like in this game... True roleplay.
Not startrek geeky style... but real immersion into people's job roles.

Say your clan pots their cash together and buys a nice space station to themselves.
Someone wants to dock their ship inside your space station, they have to get clearance.

Remember freelancer, guy's "webcam-like" face would appear in the top right and give you clearence, talk to you.

I'd love for real job roles like these, customer representatives, etc.

maybe a live webcam feed, small headset, talking to the player's ships, etc. Would be one of the most interesting things i would have EVER seen in an MMO.

Anyone agree?

With this community? You know how many people would be naked?

Hell-demon
04-04-09, 01:58
And how many people would mic spam?

Not really plausible.

nobby
04-04-09, 11:58
I only said station Reps being able to communicate freely to incoming ships.

I guess you could always incorporate a "team" mic chat to eliminate all spamming pricks.

Job done :p

Tratos
04-04-09, 13:52
Why not head over to the Prophecy Network (http://prophecy-network.com/) for all your speculation and Black Prophecy discussion needs ;)

Hell-demon
04-04-09, 14:44
We would but the neocron staff posted about black prophecy on the neocron forum. So they must want us to talk about it :)

Heavyporker
05-04-09, 03:26
Damn you people... all requiring and having nice, big, strong computers with new, damn you, new graphics cards! Man. My insides are liquifying at this... all this blasted beauty!

CMaster
05-04-09, 18:06
RPS still can't get the voiceover out of their head (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/04/04/that-giant-is-made-of-bricks/#more-9874).