PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Xbox or Playstation??

Nymphette79
04-02-09, 13:23
Am wanting to get a new console, have a Wii but the novelty of that wore off quick so want something else.
In the past I have always been a Sega lover & after that stopped then I always prefered the xbox to the playstation but now im not so sure.
Have been getting alot of mixed reviews from people, alot say that Playstation have normally had a wider selection of kids games & seeing as I have a 4 yr old who is already an avid gamer I need to consider him too.
He doesnt like the Wii as the people look stupid, he likes people that look normal lol.
Any opinions would be very helpful.
Thank you as always
xxxx

Jaffo
04-02-09, 14:01
does advising get both for when you xbox breaks help?

NAPPER
04-02-09, 14:35
Xbox for the win but it has to be the 360 plus u can play the normal Xbox games on it as well

Biglines
04-02-09, 14:38
xbox has more games atm, but is damn buggy and bricks itself pretty fast (have heard of people having sent it back 3 times already)

ps3 is big, fat and plays blueray

Lexxuk
04-02-09, 15:10
I don't think either of the consoles are particularly aimed at children, more towards the more mature gamer which is why the Wii is so popular, they went for gameplay over omgwtfbbq graphics.

Visually there isn't really all that much to split the 360 and PS3 up, both use pretty decent technology, although the Cell processor is a beast of a CPU.

Game wise, unless you can find a PS3 with the emulator to play PS2 games, you'll be stuck with PS1/3 games, and whilst the PS1 library is large, they are bloody old! However you can download PS1 games (theme hospital!) from the PS3 store on the PS3 for a couple of quid, but I can do that on my PSP.

Both consoles are pretty much just a variation on a PC though, just a bit more custom, kind of like how a Mac is a PC but with OSX and a superiority complex "Hi, I'm a Mac and I can make video's, and umm, thats fun!! - Hi, I'm a PC and I can play thousands of games, do everything a Mac can do, and I don't make you look like you have a tiny penis in Starbucks! So Mac, hows the gaming scene looking like on your side? - Well PC... bugger".

Hit somewhere like Play.com, look at the library of available games for kids and see which appeals to you more!

If you're a film buff and want HD movies, the PS3 really is the only option, it was until recently the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market, and it is still the best Blu-Ray player in its price band, heck its the best Blu-Ray player for under £1k, games console comes free :D

Downside of the PS3 is the cost of controls, it costs about £35 for a new controller for the PS3, but its wireless so the lil'uns can't pull the console down off the table, but that means it needs to be plugged in to recharge.

I got my mother a PS3 and she loves it :lol:

StevenJ
04-02-09, 15:22
I'm getting a 360 shortly, as I think it offers the better online play for the games I'm looking at, and all my brothers have a 360, it'll be good to whoop their arses once more, like when we were a rabble of four kids crowded around Mario Kart, Street Fighter or Goldeneye.

Downside of the PS3 is the cost of controls, it costs about £35 for a new controller for the PS3£35 is a lot - didn't realise they were that much... but Sony make the best gamepads ever... The controllers were one thing I was hung up about when choosing a 360.

Biglines
04-02-09, 15:31
hehe I heard they use playstation controllers to control real vehicles

IceStorm
04-02-09, 16:08
For current-gen gaming, I prefer the 360. I prefer the exclusives (timed or otherwise) on the 360 and for multiplatform releases I prefer the 360's "you must have" achievements vs PS3's hit or miss Trophies.

I prefer the 360's controller. Both feel fine, but when a DualShock 3 runs out of juice, I can't just swap the battery and continue. Instead, I have to tether a 15' USB A to mini B cable to the controller. With the 360, I can just swap out the battery pack and recharge it on another controller or use AA batteries (rechargable or otherwise).

I don't care too much about Blu-ray or HD DVD. I have movies in both formats. I don't typically sit still long enough to watch one all the way through. Netflix, though, is pick up, watch, pause, stop, come back to it later, which I like.

I have three 360s - a North American Launch unit, a Halo 3 special edition from Halo 3 launch, and an Elite from last year when Dell sold them for $300. Of the three, the Launch unit failed about two years, seven months after launch. The other two have been fine. My profile lives on a 512MB MU. The most frustrating thing about having multiple 360s is that you cannot move XBOX Originals save games between them (XBOX 1 save games).

Both of my PS3s are 60GB units, which means they have full PS2 backwards compatability. BC is a godsend. I've been playing Persona 3, and I've made at least 40 virtual PS2 memory cards so I didn't have to overwrite my save games. Without BC, my PS3 would be collecting dust. If you can find a PS3 with full BC, by all means go for it. If not, buy a 360, a PS2, and a stack of memory cards for the PS2 or a PS2 mem card to PC adapter of some sort.

rob444
04-02-09, 16:32
Xbox for the win but it has to be the 360 plus u can play the normal Xbox games on it as well

There are a lot of old xbox games you CAN'T play on the 360.

But I'd say get a 360. More games and not to mention better, better multiplayer service (Xbox live) etc.

Nymphette79
04-02-09, 16:42
Still confused lol, we did have a PS2 but I sold that to put towards the Wii but my son now wants it back lol.
We both have PSP's as when he tried the PSP & DS he said he prefered the PSP because it looked like a film not like drawings as the DS does according to him. He's not big on racing or sports games & I wont let him play fighting games so it would be for RPG / strategy type games.
Although the Wii is fun, I can't play Tomb Raider on it for shit so haven't even tried Res Evil
I like Xbox Live, does PS3 have that sort of thing??
xxx

L0KI
04-02-09, 16:46
The popular console is the 360 currently.

As an owner of both, I can tell you that the PS3 wins, hands down. In every way, it's superior.

People that say 'There's not much difference graphically'; I'd recommend that you tried both consoles on the same TV. You'll notice a huge difference. It's like putting a GeForce 7600 GS with it's graphics turned to medium against an 8800 GT with graphics on high. It doesn't take a keen eye to spot the clear differences in quailty of picture.

These debates always end in a victorious XBox 360, but it's the inexperienced, non-technical people of the nation that latch on to this console, which does, to be fair have FAR more games released on it.

I have a lot against the 360. My first one over heated daily, and inevitably went BANG. This is my main concern with it as a console. There have been numerous reports published about the 360's failure rate, and one thing that cannot be denied, is that it's FAR too high. The reports indicate it's between 16-40% of ALL consoles die. In contract, less than 0.2% of PS3 consoles break. 0.2% - wow.

My final point would be... If you really are in doubt, find a way of playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift on the PS3: Watch as its graphics not only startle you, but immerse beyond all immersion, then say the 360 is on a par.

(Nymph - the PS3 now has it's own 3D version of Live)

PS - selling XBOX 360 (Refurbished, again) for £80, with games.

Someone take this vile piece of shit off me, and leave me with a console that will last for years to come.

/end rage.

Lexxuk
04-02-09, 17:57
I can make the choice easy for you nymph dear! You've never had a headache, you'll get some if you get the 360! :D

Kanedax
04-02-09, 18:40
I have personally never had issues with my xbox360. I would, however, get the ps3 in a heart beat except for the fact that to get a decent package I'd have to spend atleast 150 dollars more for a ps3 than a 360. I'd say either wait for more price drops on the ps3 or get the xbox360 now.

Lodar
04-02-09, 22:11
The level of maturity on the PS3 vs 360 debate seems to decrease exponentially in these kind of threads, on almost every forum I've seen them on. I'm not aiming at anyone on this thread, but if you're considering posting something containing the word "fanboi" or anything similar, please reconsider.

That is all.

:angel:

rob444
04-02-09, 22:37
Loki is right about the 360 failing a lot - it does. My 360 is brand new and I occasionally get freezes which forces me to hard reset it. Everyone I know that owns a 360 has gotten that red circle which indicates damaged hardware of some sort or that it's near damaged.

I remember reading an article about the 360 over a year back and I was shocked to see that 30% of the units Microsoft sent out had hardware errors right from the start.
I'm sure they have rectified their "little" mistake but the console is still an unreliable gaming console imo. You can buy extra cooling fans and stuff for the 360, it's ridiculous that you even have to buy extra stuff for a console to make it work properly! I remember Nintendo, Sega, Sony Playstation 1 & 2 days and I don't recall any freezes or hardware failures AT ALL.

Doc Holliday
04-02-09, 23:06
i have a 360. its pretty cool but the games i play nymph you dont want the little guy playin. xbox live is pretty smooth. a good mate of mine in australia and me play cod4 regularly ( and i get rinsed even more regularly ) which i like plus a few of the guys at work have 360s so we play alot of coop shooters for fun.

ps3 is an awesome piece of kit (a friend has one and it is sick) and my opinion is really that you get what you pay for.

as for the red ring of death it was a reported fault that shipped a while ago with the console which has "allegedly" been fixed. i have mine now for about 2-3 months and its fine so far so good. my mate had his go die on him from overheating. he sent it away due to warranty and it was returned inside 2 weeks (over xmas to boot) with half of the insides brand new and a free month of xbox live to cover it. i think that aint bad personally.

of course some people will hate the fact its microsoft and hate on it for that reason the same way its popular to bash EA. cut through the shit and you will make a decision.

(if you get a ps3 i cant play with you tho :()

Obsidian X
04-02-09, 23:21
An objective listing might help:

XBox 360
Pros:

Cheaper
No Hard Drive installs required
Wider selection of games
Exclusives: Gears of War, Mass Effect, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Halo to name but a few
Generally better Downloadable Content (GTA and Fallout for example aren't producing DLC for PS3
Achievements more comprehensive than PS3 Trophies and supported by every game.
Controllers cheaper, and considered more ergonomic (subjective of course) by many
Multi-platform releases tend to be better on the 360 to date
Certain level of backwards compatability with Xbox games

Cons:

Prone to hardware failiures and overheating(this is true in my experience as well as everyone I know with an Xbox although I don't have any figures to support this claim)
Noisy as hell
XBox Live requires subscription fee
No wireless support without purchasing MS Wireless Adapter (also little support for non-MS hardware such as Webcams)
Limited hard drive space (again, only MS Drives can be used, and come in 20GB and 120GB varieties)
Controllers require batteries or purchase of a battery charge pack
Dashboard confusing compared to PS3s XMB

PS3:
Pros:
Reliable hardware, slight technological edge
Wi-Fi support built in
PSN requires no subscription as opposed to Xbox Live
Exclusives: Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, Killzone, Uncharted
Blu-Ray player
Support for third party peripherals (webcam, bluetooth etc)
XMB easy to use and organise multimedia
Wireless pads have built in battery
Can play most PS2 games (60GB model only, these are out of production now and thus hard to come by)
Quiet
PSP compatability
(Generally)Faster load times due to hard drive install, though not always the case

Cons:
Expensive in comparison to 360
Controllers are expensive, and considered to be less ergonomic than 360 (subjective)
Poorer selection of games than 360 with less premium exclusive brands
Limited DLC in comparison to 360
Multi-platform releases tend to suffer in PS3 ports
PSN Voice support not as commonplace as 360 as seperate bluetooth is required. This could of course be considered a pro if you've ever spent a day on Xbox live voice comms ;)
Large Hard Drive installs required for most games (usually between 2 and 5GB) Trophies not as comprehensive as Gamer Points and not fully supported on the PS3 game library.
Only out of production 60GB models are backwards compatible and can be expensive and hard to find.

I own both consoles and so have tried to be as objective as possible. I think in the end it comes down to what games you like, and which games are upcoming for which system. Whether you plan on using the system online should play a part in the decision too. Hope this helps! :)

IceStorm
04-02-09, 23:56
People that say 'There's not much difference graphically'; I'd recommend that you tried both consoles on the same TV. You'll notice a huge difference. It's like putting a GeForce 7600 GS with it's graphics turned to medium against an 8800 GT with graphics on high. It doesn't take a keen eye to spot the clear differences in quailty of picture.I have both, I use both on the same TV. I have even tried multiplatform releases on both. The 360 wins out every time for me.

There are differences in how the PS3 and 360 render the same game (GTA IV, for one). They are differences. It's not an issue of one being "better" than the other. Typically, devs turn down features on the PS3 for ports. TimeShift had lower resolution textures. GTA IV is missing a filter effect.
There have been numerous reports published about the 360's failure rate, and one thing that cannot be denied, is that it's FAR too high. The reports indicate it's between 16-40% of ALL consoles die. In contract, less than 0.2% of PS3 consoles break. 0.2% - wow.360 reliability issues have been going down as the console is revised. We're now up to the Jasper version, which integrates 256MB of flash onto the motherboard and has 65nm versions of both the GPU and CPU. If you buy an Arcade unit over here and it doesn't come with a memory card, it's a Jasper.
My final point would be... If you really are in doubt, find a way of playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift on the PS3: Watch as its graphics not only startle you, but immerse beyond all immersion, then say the 360 is on a par.And if you're not into driving games?
(Nymph - the PS3 now has it's own 3D version of Live)No, not really. Sony has the PlayStation Network. If you're looking for a fully integrated multiplayer environment, XBOX Live Gold is superior. All online games for the 360 integrate into Live. You have one friends list and you can cross-invite player from whatever they're doing (Netflix, movie, other games) into your current game. On PSN, things are disconnected. There is a store, but there's no tight, required integration with Sony's online system.

If you're not playing online, it's not a huge deal. If you are, it's a deal-breaker unless all your friends are already on the PS3 platform.
Someone take this vile piece of shit off me, and leave me with a console that will last for years to come.Ironically, it's one of my PS3 units that was RMAed first. The 20GB/60GB units have an Achilles's heel - their Bluetooth antennas aren't very powerful. There is a known issue with original SIXAXIS controllers dropping out at random intervals in high noise environments. I live in such an environment. The problem got so bad that I stopped playing the PS3 for about a year (not an issue - there wasn't anything to play for a year anyway). Sony is fully aware of the problem, but provide no support for the issue. The only "fix" is to throw out the SIXAXIS and buy a DualShock 3. Sony won't provide one in exchange.

Both consoles have issues. Neither is perfect.

Oh, Obsidian X, you don't need a sub to use Live. Live Silver is free. You miss out on demos for a week or two on some games, can't play games over Live, and can't use Netflix, but that's all Silver is missing. Gold gives you access to some demos earlier, Live gaming, and Netflix.
12+1 month sub cards have been going for $30 USD over here, so Live works out to less than $3/mo if you use sub cards.

|R@zor|
05-02-09, 00:00
I've currently got a 360 which is my 2nd in 2 years, first one had a DVD drive failure 1 month out of warranty (which is always the way).

The newer revisions dont suffer as much with overheating as the old ones did, although it can still happen.

There is also a 60gb version of the 360 but i'd recommend the 120gb version if you decide to buy one, you can install games onto the hard disk now, which cuts down on noise from the dvd drive (although you still need the disk in to play them.) The disks are external, and slot onto the side so if you get a smaller one you can upgrade it if you run out of space.

Like someone said before about the PS3, only certain models have backward compatibility with ps2 games, so watch out for that if you still have old ps2 games you'd like to play.

Lexxuk
05-02-09, 00:43
I remember Nintendo, Sega, Sony Playstation 1 & 2 days and I don't recall any freezes or hardware failures AT ALL.

Sega screwed up badly with their console. They went from a semi-dominant position to being thrown out of the market. 32X followed by the Sega-CD, both flops that Sega didn't support properly so their fans jumped ship straight to the PS when it first game out. The PS was a revolution in the gaming market, although the 3DO had a better copy of Need for Speed.

Currently the 360 has some fantastic titles, Halo 3, Fable 2 to name two, the PS3 is suffering a little, even more now that SE decided the next FF will be on the 360 and not just the PS3 (except in Japan where its not on the 360).

The PS *needs* some locked in titles, losing Final Fantasy is a major blow to them and would have guaranteed a gazillion PS3 sales. But the PS is the Japanese console, so all the best JRP's should appear on that, its just slightly very hard to programme the Cell, so we're not seeing anywhere near the full power that the PS3 can handle at the moment, and we may not for a long time to come.

The 360 is basically a PC running on the .NET framework, if you are so inclined you can make Xbox games on your PC, but its technology is about up to its maximum, and until the PS3 programmers can start to programme the Cell CPU betterer then we'll see only a fraction of what the PS3 can provide in terms of power.

Although if you wanna go for power, some geeky fella linked up a few PS3's together to use to crack passwords, the Cell really is a wonderful chip and Apple are probably crying over dropping IBM for Intel when Mac's woulda been using the Cell by now rather than Intels :D

nobby
05-02-09, 01:18
Those that say the PS3 is better, i REALLY cannot see why!

Sure the hardware is better in the PS3 and has a bluray, but look at the choice of games available.

It's been out for over 2 years now and the "unique" choice of games are just plain crap. I've not found ONE PS3 game that "amazed" me in any way.

I got a Japanese console early and was HEAVILY dissapointed. There's only three games i've ever played on the console in the time i've had it.

Them being:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gran Tourismo HD
and Tekken 5 online.

That's it.

The online part of the playstation 3 is not rubbish, but not great either.

You still face the "slight lag" like you do with a 360 due to games being hosted off machines.

Hardly any games have leaderboards/ voice support like their exact xbox360 counterpart.

I'm just a pure online player really, and playing games where NOONE talks is very... lonely ? and can be boring quickly.

Consider these facts before shelling out the extra money for a playstation 3.

Not Worth It At All !

Lexxuk
05-02-09, 02:04
I kinda think you answered your own question there nobby, better hardware and blu-ray. Sure the games scene is a bit bleak on the PS3 and it really needs some blow you away titles, and the price could do with a drop.

But if you want to buy HD, you have to buy Blu-Ray, and they still cost around £200 for a "basic" model, for a little bit more you get one of the best players on the market, with a games console thrown in just for fun.

Resident Evil 5, Gran Turismo 5 are both due out this year on the PS3.

The problem is that MS will happily throw money down the drain for the 360 and buy exclusive titles left right and centre, they still get beat by the Wii mind you, but Sony isn't throwing the money away, they have their in-house developers making games, and Psygnosis which makes Wipeout, but if MS offers companies a lot of cash to make their title 360 only, the companies listen, if they offer SE a ton of cash to get the FF title onto the 360, SE will listen, and they did.

We also have the issue that the PS3 is a Japanese console, the 360 is a US console, what does that mean for us mere mortals? It means the Japanese get the best of the games, some of which never get released outside of Japan, and when they are released it can be up to a year later whilst the 360 will be more prone to making English games so do not have the translation barrier that the PS3 has.

Then we have the divergence of consoles, we have maybe one or two generations of consoles left before they will no longer be made, the home entertainment of the future will be a cross between a PC and a console, along with a media player and probably a fusion reactor. But at the moment we have the Wii, DS, PS3, PS2, PSP, 360 and even mobile phones trying to get in on the act. The lines are beginning to blur a little as to what a console really is, it is still a games platform, but when your MP3 player can start playing games, its the end of the world!

The PS3 was a first brave step in that direction, its not *just* a games console like the PS2, it plays Divx, Blu-Ray, all manner of films and music, browses the internet (soon to have iPlayer) it even has a frikken virtual world (Home), you can do your online banking on your PS3, so it isn't just a console, its so much more than that, its a complete home entertainment system, and with firmware updates more and more is being added.

Sony took a huge gamble with the 3, and that is why it had such a huge price when it came out, they could have taken the easy route and made a much cheaper system with less bells and whistles, but they didn't, they made a very expensive, very powerful system, and it still has 5 or 6 years left before its replaced with the PS4, which may be the last generation of Sony consoles as we know them.

Archtemplar
05-02-09, 04:36
What it boiled down to for me was everyone has an xbox, and I really enjoy playing with people. Achievements and gamerpoints makes playing singleplayer games that much more interesting, and I fell in love with the selection of DLC. I spend like $10 to get Duke Nukem 3D, 8 player Dukematch anyone?

The live subscription fee for me was minimal, $50 for a year is something I can swing. Also, where so many people own an xbox, its so very easy to come across used copies of games - I obtained 8 games since christmas, and only the 4 included in the box set were new.

The whole thing about hardware failure is what initially turned me off to the Xbox, but after a couple years I figured most were stable enough for a casual gamer. My friend must be one of a lucky few though, as his Xbox is from launch and it still works, albeit a little loudly.

I work in a place that allows people to sit down and play the xbox, so I've had much exposure to it, and what kids want. I believe that there is a large selection of games for kids, especially popular titles are the Lego series, which even I find are a blast to play.

But again, what it really boils down to is sociability - a lot of Xbox titles are geared towards online play with people, while (as I heard) PS3 had a large selection of great single player games.

IceStorm
05-02-09, 06:12
But if you want to buy HD, you have to buy Blu-Ray, and they still cost around £200 for a "basic" model, for a little bit more you get one of the best players on the market, with a games console thrown in just for fun.This must be a regional pricing issue. In the USA, a basic Blu-ray player is $150 USD. Even in the current economy, that's, what, 100 GBP? A Profile 2.0 player that's upgradable goes for around $260 USD (180 GBP). The PS3 is $400 USD (277 GBP).

A year ago, players were still north of $300 USD without 2.0 capabilities, so it made sense. This past holiday season? Not so much.
Resident Evil 5, Gran Turismo 5 are both due out this year on the PS3.Of those two, RE5 is coming to 360 at the same time. GT5, well... believe it when you see it. After all, these are the same people who were supposed to relase GT4 Mobile for the PSP...
The PS3 was a first brave step in that direction, its not *just* a games console like the PS2,The PS2 was never "just" a games console. It played DVD movies out of the box at launch. It had a Linux kit about a year later (I have one) that came complete with a keyboard (which I use daily), a mouse, and a VGA cable.

Hell, even the original PSX had a home developer kit, Net Yaroze. Sony's consoles doing more than just play games is nothing new.

flib
05-02-09, 06:16
Well, the PS3 is pretty boring and very expensive. The Xbox 360 is great, but might not be the best option for a younger player.
TBH, go old-school and get PS2.

naimex
05-02-09, 09:54
I didn't bother reading this thread.

But you should be very aware that Sony sent out a press note a month or two ago, where they said they would most likely stop all production of playstation 3, and that caused a lot of games developers to hold or cancel all further playstation 3 game projects.

Sony's reason was:

'It's just too expensive to build the playstation 3, which means it can't compete with the other console stations on price'

Not exactly what they said, but it's the same meaning.

rob444
05-02-09, 12:03

But you should be very aware that Sony sent out a press note a month or two ago, where they said they would most likely stop all production of playstation 3, and that caused a lot of games developers to hold or cancel all further playstation 3 game projects.

Sony's reason was:

'It's just too expensive to build the playstation 3, which means it can't compete with the other console stations on price'

Google returns nothing about Sony canceling the PS3. However, google returns an article that was written in November 2008 that they have halved the production costs of the PS3.

Obsidian X
05-02-09, 14:28

Sony's reason was:

I love it how spurious facts like this get posted with any attempt whatsoever to verify such an audacious claim. As I said earlier in the thread, its impossible to keep this debate objective, as everyone ends up chipping in with their own "my console > your console" agenda. Therefore my advice is to look at the games...both those released, and those upcoming, and see which console is best suited to your needs.

Doc Holliday
05-02-09, 17:14
the head guy for the project at sony got canned after launch of the ps3. that is a fact. i dont know the full details but he did get fired due to the massive overbudgeting on the project.

beyond that i dont know of anything like what naimex is reffering too. he might have spent too much time with is mannequin and she told him it was happening. ;)

now. as for the rest of it i think there are some good views and points but guys honestly 2 things.

wheres the lag/loading times on the xbox? i cant find any.

i have found 2 issues with it. fable 2 and gta 4. both of them crashed randomly on me during games. i dont know if this is the game or the xbox. i have installed both to the HDD and it was fine. they run like a charm. i will just uninstall when im done. if anyone else has ever had this issue tell me what you found out tho pls :)

and the noise of the console? please. who really plays with the sound on the tv lower than the sound of the console. its not a jet fan cooling system its a console. i think some people are being picky for the sake of it. (personal op only)

Nobby. Lonliness > Racist american assholes.

Im sorry for a generalisation and if you do feel it needs editing please feel free mods i dont mean to be causing issues but i play cod4 online and constantly listen to a barrage of racist flames back and forth when playing late at night UK time. never found this in pc games due to the fact you can join specific voice servers with friends whereas you have to put up with it on xbox live. yes there are ways around it to mute it etc i know and i do regularly but it is a shame you have to suffer it

that said party chat on voice is wicked when you can play with friends.

Lodar
05-02-09, 17:40
Lonliness > Racist american assholes.

Im sorry for a generalisation and if you do feel it needs editing please feel free mods i dont mean to be causing issues but i play cod4 online and constantly listen to a barrage of racist flames back and forth when playing late at night UK time.

I'll uphold that based on the fact you're making a generalisation of the user base within that particular time slot rather than a slur against Americans in general. I can tell you however that if you play earlier in the day (3 to 4pm GMT) I guarantee you'll get at least as many racist idiots on your average game of CoD from our side of the pond. ;)

Kanedax
05-02-09, 19:00
Internet asshole theory.

You take a normal person, put them in the anonymity of the internet and suddenly they're a douche.

And before you generalize based on country of origin look inward. I'm sure there are just as many morons in the country you reside.

nobby
05-02-09, 19:08
On that note, i must say I never discovered racism until i went on xboxlive against "them" (race assumed).

One hint that you're "British" then it's shit-mouth from there on... references to false facts about Teeth, who owes who's countries favours after saving their ass in "war X" and how country X "Got their ass kicked in the X war".

oh and wtf about "tea."

Same shit...

EVERY SINGLE DAY, EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Lexxuk
05-02-09, 19:38
The thing with tea Nobby is an historic one. Whilst most countries enjoy being civilised and putting normal water into their tea, the Americans tried salt water in a place called Boston, and had a quaint "tea party" there.

However, salt water isn't very good for you, in fact it makes you go rather insane, milk yes, sugar yes, a touch of lemon if you so desire is also fine, but salt water is a no-no.

Ironic fact #57629864, tea is zero tax item over here, you don't pay tax on it, in the US you have to pay sales tax on tea. :lol:

Kanedax
05-02-09, 19:41
The country you're from doesn't qualify as race. I also think people need to grow thicker skins. I catch a lot of shit from pretty much every type of person you could imagine for being American, that's fine, they're ignorant and I'm cool with it.

nobby
05-02-09, 20:18
[ edited ]

Lodar
05-02-09, 20:46
Enough. Like I and others have pointed out, idiots prevail online, regardless of race, creed or indeed nationality. Lets not tread any further down the nationalism path; it'd be a shame to close an otherwise sensible (if somewhat opinionated) thread. :angel:

naimex
05-02-09, 21:38
Google returns nothing about Sony canceling the PS3. However, google returns an article that was written in November 2008 that they have halved the production costs of the PS3.

I love it how spurious facts like this get posted with any attempt whatsoever to verify such an audacious claim. As I said earlier in the thread, its impossible to keep this debate objective, as everyone ends up chipping in with their own "my console > your console" agenda. Therefore my advice is to look at the games...both those released, and those upcoming, and see which console is best suited to your needs.

Now that you've asked, of course I can't find the news thread i saw it in, on a danish news site.

But it was a prelude to all the firings they are doing now.

Where they had said that because of all the expense of manufacturing the ps3, it was too expensive to keep going until they found a way to make them cheaper.

And because of that statement, several games developers put the ps3 versions of their games on hold.

But it appears that Sony has found a marketing way to break out of the problems:

and just for you, i will bother putting a link in.

http://kotaku.com/5115781/playstation-3-will-be-3d-ready-in-2009

Asurmen Spec Op
06-02-09, 00:27
PS3, by far.

Xbox360 has an insane failure rate(I believe it was about 30%)
PS3 is great for things beyond games, it is also my home entertainment system(on my server is 1TB of movies/music that I stream to it)
PS3-> better games

Enough. Like I and others have pointed out, idiots prevail online, regardless of race, creed or indeed nationality. Lets not tread any further down the nationalism path; it'd be a shame to close an otherwise sensible (if somewhat opinionated) thread. :angel:
what if my nationality is Internetian?! :P

Doc Holliday
06-02-09, 02:21
Internet asshole theory.

You take a normal person, put them in the anonymity of the internet and suddenly they're a douche.

And before you generalize based on country of origin look inward. I'm sure there are just as many morons in the country you reside.

im not trying to tar one country with a big brush saying " you are all assholes " kanedax far from it. i made a point which is completely true and did happen. it was unfortunate. it got worse when a couple of lads joined who were english because then it booted off big time between the 2 "sides" despite different guys being on different teams. a friend of mine is in australia and experiences much the same "witty banter" from and 2 aussies and others.

to me its pretty apparent that the asshole syndrome is multiplied by 20 when it comes down to console gaming. i think its also because consoles are cheaper than their pc counterparts meaning they are more accessible to lower forms of life we call human to get out at and spew shit at each other on.

i find in general any pc game brings a much higher level of intellect in gaming than it does with consoles. personal opinion here again but it is pretty clear to me.

please dont take the post as a nationalist flame. hell these guys could have been north of your border :P (and i cant tell the difference in accent)

seriously i didnt mean to cause offense with it. i know and have had the chance to call friends some really fucking cool people from the states both in neocron and in life and i dont think for one minute its a microcosm of the entire population.

sadly however some of my other console loving countrymen do hence this being a vicious cycle.

to me if your a tool your tool it dont matter what you play or where your from.

Lexxuk
06-02-09, 03:38
Its not that a PC is cheaper than a console, I mean a PS3 is still about £400 quid and you can get a Dell for about that much, its that a PC requires more knowledge than "push a button to turn it on", obviously people who can't figure out *how* to use a PC resort to consoles, and you tend to meet them in games where they actually use voice chat to prove their lack of intelligence :D

Biglines
06-02-09, 12:09
if ur saying a console is for stupid people and pc for smart people... have u ever seen nc ooc?

Selendor
06-02-09, 12:30
For me the Xbox wins because of the type of games that lead on it, and because of the Live social features, my group of friends meet regularly to play. I don't feel that the Playstation offers anywhere near the value, must-have games or online features of the Xbox.

However, for casual gamers I can totally see the attraction of the Wii, even if the game attach rate is very low and most of them are destined for a life in the attic alongside their peripherals, covered in dust.

Of course, I lament the state of PC gaming as its my true passion, its a shame that the great, complicated, polished games we used to see so rarely appear anymore. Flight Sims and Space games, oh how I miss thee!

Lexxuk
06-02-09, 14:26
if ur saying a console is for stupid people and pc for smart people... have u ever seen nc ooc?

I have, but consider this... one requires typing the other doesn't :lol:

Biglines
06-02-09, 16:26
I have, but consider this... one requires typing the other doesn't :lol:

i repeat, have you ever seen ooc? :P

Doc Holliday
06-02-09, 16:49

naw. never even played the game. i just hover around the forum pretending to know what im talking about ;)

There is an exception to every rule big :)

Kanedax
06-02-09, 17:03
im not trying to tar one country with a big brush saying " you are all assholes " kanedax far from it. i made a point which is completely true and did happen. it was unfortunate. it got worse when a couple of lads joined who were english because then it booted off big time between the 2 "sides" despite different guys being on different teams. a friend of mine is in australia and experiences much the same "witty banter" from and 2 aussies and others.

to me its pretty apparent that the asshole syndrome is multiplied by 20 when it comes down to console gaming. i think its also because consoles are cheaper than their pc counterparts meaning they are more accessible to lower forms of life we call human to get out at and spew shit at each other on.

i find in general any pc game brings a much higher level of intellect in gaming than it does with consoles. personal opinion here again but it is pretty clear to me.

please dont take the post as a nationalist flame. hell these guys could have been north of your border :P (and i cant tell the difference in accent)

seriously i didnt mean to cause offense with it. i know and have had the chance to call friends some really fucking cool people from the states both in neocron and in life and i dont think for one minute its a microcosm of the entire population.

sadly however some of my other console loving countrymen do hence this being a vicious cycle.

to me if your a tool your tool it dont matter what you play or where your from.

It's all good man. (Probably was those no good dirty Canucks!) :p

Isec
06-02-09, 17:28
X-Box 360 RuleZ

Asurmen Spec Op
07-02-09, 06:53
X-Box 360 RuleZ
And if you play Xbox, you'll play with people who spell like they're from the warez scene, talk like they are 12, and have a larger ego than Niddy's ban hammer.

naimex
09-02-09, 16:32
And if you play Xbox, you'll play with people who spell like they're from the warez scene, talk like they are 12, and have a larger ego than Niddy's ban hammer.

Are you implying that Niddy's ban hammer is a sentient being? :confused:

Asurmen Spec Op
09-02-09, 22:04
Are you implying that Niddy's ban hammer is a sentient being? :confused:
in 2007 it gained sentience, it 2012 it will gain access to the nuclear arsenals of the world...