PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Linux Distro?

MrTrip
03-02-09, 07:36
So I have been stuck to Ubuntu since I got really involved in Linux.

I use CentOS for all the servers we build at work, so I'm used to RPM based linux distros, and debian based linux distros, what else should I try or do you recommend?

Looking for something small, however I enjoy gnome over KDE or xfce, but I really don't want some fully bloated linux distro either (lots of useless crap I'll never use haha)

Selket
03-02-09, 09:56
i usually recon Mandriva, but i guess in your case u should consider using arch linux.

Its nice fast and u get it fast.

If u dont want to build ur system u could wait for debian Lenny

Bruder Malmsdoo
03-02-09, 14:20
If you are the type of user, who don't want to join the upgrade rally every half-year, then I suggest Debian Lenny. It seems to be ready at 14th February and it is not only faster, it's also much more reliable than Ubuntu relating to bugs. If the packages in Debian Lenny are too old for your taste, you could also try Sidux. Arch Linux (KISS, Rolling Release Cycle) rocks too but needs a lot maintenance.

Brammers
03-02-09, 15:31
You could look at Gentoo, but I'm moving away from that for stability reasons. Too often, you will find a package that's broken something, making me, and other admins scream blue murder. However for it using the lastest bleeding edge packages, it's good for that.

On my home server, I'm running Debian Lenny, and have been for the last 3 months. I've had no issues with stability using what is considered a testing distro. However since Ubuntu is based on Debian, going from Ubuntu to Debian is a bit pointless unless you want stability.

@ Bruder Malmsdoo - where did you hear Lenny would be out on the 14th Feb?

Setlec
03-02-09, 15:38
I would recommend Mandriva (as user easy to handle with the MCC) and fedora. I really hate Ubuntu to messed up for my taste and easy to be hacked.

pottburter
03-02-09, 16:00

There you go...

LWN.net (http://lwn.net/Articles/317565/)

The weekend of February 14th is going to be our tentative target for
release.

So it seems like this is the first time i'm actually longing for the 14th Feb. :D

Lexxuk
03-02-09, 16:26
A simple solution if you *really* want to get down and dirty is the LFS Book.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Basically you use the base system (Ubuntu) to create the runtime files which are linked to Ubuntu, then you remake them linked to themselves and eventually you have a base system, kernel, boot loader, all the stuff you need to start making your very own, custom compiled Linux.

Then add Xorg (you can use Ubuntu to download the required bits) and on top of that add Gnome.

It takes a while, but once its done you'll have the fastest distro possible as every component is compiled to your system rather than generic (although PC's are so fast these days it doesn't make much difference), and then you can call it something like MrTripLinux :D

If you want Unix though, try OpenSolaris, hardware support isn't as mature as Linux however.

Brammers
03-02-09, 16:28
There you go...

LWN.net (http://lwn.net/Articles/317565/)

The weekend of February 14th is going to be our tentative target for
release.

So it seems like this is the first time i'm actually longing for the 14th Feb. :D

Ahh so the date has only just been announced! It's about time they got Lenny out of the door.

And why the 14th of February? Got much more important things on...like watching the 6 Nations Rugby! :p

MrTrip
03-02-09, 17:24
Ooo... looking at LFS right now, kind of interested... do want...

Guess I'll have to set aside a day for it, or at least a weekend.

Bruder Malmsdoo
03-02-09, 17:37
However since Ubuntu is based on Debian, going from Ubuntu to Debian is a bit pointless unless you want stability

In my experience Ubuntu has really severe bug-problems. Especially a lot of the packages beyond the average desktop-activities are buggy like hell. So stability may be a reason. Furthermore: Ubuntu became slower and slower with each version since "warty warthog". The longer support-periode and the bigger package-universe may also be an argument pro "Debian stable".

Lexxuk
03-02-09, 17:48
Ooo... looking at LFS right now, kind of interested... do want...

Guess I'll have to set aside a day for it, or at least a weekend.

More than a weekend, a life time, it will suck you in and you'll spend your free time wondering "what should I install next?" you'll create your base system, archive it so you'll have time to play, install Xorg and Gnome, archive that then spend hours playing, compiling, installing, building MrTripLinux to your specifications and loving every second!

You'll get hold of the source code for Firefox and instead of rpm or deb, you'll compile it to your system, adding your own flags.

And your life will never be the same again, when people say "Ya, I use Ubuntu" or "heh, I use Fedora" you can say "I compiled my own from scratch" and chicks will want to tear your clothes off... ok, maybe not the last one, unless you get with my ex who for some reason got turned on by geeks and nerds.... :angel:

/edit - fair warning though, cause I'm nice, the stable LFS sometimes requires older packages, so your free time may be spend resolving conflicts and stuff, you'll also need to find your own deps unless you install your own package manager, but hey, its your distro, you can go rpm or deb :D

Asurmen Spec Op
03-02-09, 19:33
Gentoo, I use it on my server, on my laptop, on my desktop.

You could look at Gentoo, but I'm moving away from that for stability reasons. Too often, you will find a package that's broken something, making me, and other admins scream blue murder. However for it using the lastest bleeding edge packages, it's good for that.

On my home server, I'm running Debian Lenny, and have been for the last 3 months. I've had no issues with stability using what is considered a testing distro. However since Ubuntu is based on Debian, going from Ubuntu to Debian is a bit pointless unless you want stability.

that happens from time to time(Much less now than a few years ago), if it doesn't totally frag the system the fix is easy, just use /etc/portage/package.mask, mask the newer versions and emerge again