PDA

View Full Version : [OT] GPU Blues

MrTrip
02-02-09, 08:30
So, my GPU in my system (XFX GeForce 7900GS) runs hot as hell. Occasionally causing Fallout to lock up, or the whole system to crap its self.

Seeing as the stock fan was kinda crappy, I made a little addition...

Behold gentleman!

http://digitallyevolved.net/img/uploaded/images/4c0f1b5b1aad2c4c7eecabdeef806374.jpg

http://digitallyevolved.net/img/uploaded/images/b7cbb3219fe241c9dbebff970c23aeb8.jpg

http://digitallyevolved.net/img/uploaded/images/d07685698450f6321bd5bf50afb80869.jpg

The fan that came with the motherboard, that I can't use anyway went nicely on it haha.

I need a new graphics card =(

vices
02-02-09, 10:49
I have the same motherboard :)

Haven't found any use for the extra fan, I'm glad someone did :D

MrTrip
02-02-09, 11:08
I have the same motherboard :)

Haven't found any use for the extra fan, I'm glad someone did :D

Spits that hot air out nicely. :D Now I have another fan pointed up at it to push cold air towards it.

Seems to work fine now, just completed the Fallout 3 expansion pack, so all is good.

Lexxuk
02-02-09, 19:50
I'm using an 8800GTS and that gets so blooming hot, at stock speeds (65%) it'll easily do over 80C, ramp it upto 75 and I'll idle around 65c playing NC, going upto 70+ if I dual log >.< One day I will figure out what the ideal temp is for it, and if it is running hot stick on something like, ice cubes, yeah, water cooled GPU :D

Setlec
02-02-09, 20:14
that's pretty hot for a gfx card mine is working at 46°C in a 30°C environment. It's a 9600GT 1024 MB DDR3 running on an Asus P5N-T deluxe.

Lexxuk
02-02-09, 20:38
I checked, upto 80 is normal, it can go upto 140c apparently O_o Still with the snow it keeps me nice and toasty :D

-FN-
02-02-09, 20:42
Is that a rubberband? lol What happens when the other side of the GPU gets so hot it melts/burns the rubberband?

Kudos on the custom work tho. My northbridge heatsink was getting pretty damn hot so I fashioned an 80mm fan over it using a 'customized' coathangar.

MrTrip
02-02-09, 23:06
Is that a rubberband? lol What happens when the other side of the GPU gets so hot it melts/burns the rubberband?

Kudos on the custom work tho. My northbridge heatsink was getting pretty damn hot so I fashioned an 80mm fan over it using a 'customized' coathangar.

Thats totally a rubberband.

The GPU doesn't get hot enough to melt the rubberband, luckly.

On another note, I just played FEAR2 Demo, and came inside my shorts. I suggest anybody with half a brain play it.

Lexxuk
03-02-09, 03:33
There is a FEAR2 Demo? I have F.E.A.R. and omg that is the most terrifyingly scary game ever invented, its just so psychologically terrifying, a masterpiece of err masterpiecinensness /coff

I tried to get my brother to play it, he gave up after 10 minutes cause he got scared :lol:

MrTrip
03-02-09, 05:58
There is a FEAR2 Demo? I have F.E.A.R. and omg that is the most terrifyingly scary game ever invented, its just so psychologically terrifying, a masterpiece of err masterpiecinensness /coff

I tried to get my brother to play it, he gave up after 10 minutes cause he got scared :lol:

You think F.E.A.R. was scary? Holy. Shit. Batman.

I crapped myself like 3 times. You get something freaking SWEET at the end of the demo that makes you feel like godmode +1

http://wbads-43.vo.llnwd.net/e1/wbol/us/fear2/Fear2.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXFIvry-O8&fmt=18

Asurmen Spec Op
03-02-09, 06:01
FEAR was only scary at the start.
Every single scary scene I saw coming, it was a major let down.

But the multiplayer was ok

MrTrip
03-02-09, 06:17
FEAR was only scary at the start.
Every single scary scene I saw coming, it was a major let down.

But the multiplayer was ok

You should play fear2. I hated FEAR multiplayer, people just ran around gun butting everybody. No fun.

Asurmen Spec Op
03-02-09, 07:09
You should play fear2. I hated FEAR multiplayer, people just ran around gun butting everybody. No fun.
step 1) get a friend over to play with you
step 2) have him put all the remote nades on your face
step 3) run into the enemy
step 4) have him press the button
step 5) rofl

MrTrip
03-02-09, 07:33
step 1) get a friend over to play with you
step 2) have him put all the remote nades on your face
step 3) run into the enemy
step 4) have him press the button
step 5) rofl

Haha I have to try that.

Tratos
03-02-09, 13:32
I didn't really enjoy the demo for FEAR2, there wasn't enough freaky shit and the freaky shit present was predictable and not that scary :wtf:

MrTrip
07-02-09, 21:12
Great Success!

Trading a 48 port Dell PowerConnect Managed switch for an XFX GTX 260 Black Edition.

*waits*

aKe`cj
07-02-09, 21:32
FEAR wasnt the least bit scary imho... the pale-gun combined with ragdoll physics was hilarious tho :)

Lexxuk
08-02-09, 00:32
It was scary, running down a dark tunnel with your flashlight, then slowly the battery runs down and BOOM pitch black and scariness!

It also had the prephiral vision, oh god my spelling sucks, anyhow you would see something in the corner of your eye, look at its gone, and you'd be like "wtf was that?"

Same with, I think it was perseus mandate, I was going down a ladder and I looked up and saw someone peeking around the corner at me, I was like "ARGHH!" it was scary :lol:

Nidhogg
08-02-09, 00:52
Same with, I think it was perseus mandate, I was going down a ladder and I looked up and saw someone peeking around the corner at me, I was like "ARGHH!" it was scary :lol:
Agreed. I think I remember that scene and it made me jump. And I jump for no man. :p

N

Lexxuk
08-02-09, 01:12
It made you sit a little on the edge too, the peeking person appeared a few times and you were always waiting for something to happen which just made it even more scary.

Its not scary in the sense that Resident Evil was scary when you were walking down a hall way, the music was tense then CRASH dogs jump through the window and you jump and the PS controller hits the floor, its more a psychological scary where you're waiting for the dogs to come through the window, but they never come, and you are like "where are the frikken dogs? gimme the dogs already?"

I have an urge to play f.e.a.r. now, only its err dark outside :o

MrTrip
08-02-09, 09:05
Agreed. I think I remember that scene and it made me jump. And I jump for no man. :p

N

Allow me to fix your post kind sir.

Agreed. I think I remember that scene and it made me jump.
I jump for Alma. :p

N

MrTrip
13-02-09, 00:52
Just beat FEAR2, changed my underwear, ready to go!

Had to play it on my 7900GS, but holy SHIT the graphics are AMAZING on it still! And not a single frame skip, I was VERY impressed. They totally know what they are doing over there designing games...if only Fallout 3 would work so nice :(