PDA

View Full Version : [OT] iPhone prices in the US

SizZLeR
27-01-09, 22:02
So ive been told from some ppl here in Denmark that they've been able to buy iPhones for $200 at small vendors in malls etc.

As i think that sounds very odd because in Denmark u will pay at least 4.800 Dkr (approx $800) for such a device unless u make a very expensive subscription with a phone company and let them lock your iPhone and in the end, the cost comes to the same with the subscription anyway.

So can anyone confirm that it is possible to buy an iPhone in the US withput any subscriptions and sim lock for $200?

Garfield
27-01-09, 22:08
i got told u can buy iphones in italy w/o any subs but sim lock
mean they sell it there with prepaid cards around 100euro
easy to hack a sim lock mby worth a try .........

SizZLeR
27-01-09, 22:14
i got told u can buy iphones in italy w/o any subs but sim lock
mean they sell it there with prepaid cards around 100euro
easy to hack a sim lock mby worth a try .........

Well actually im not interested ion having one myself, but i got curious when ppl start telling me about it, because if its legal imma start selling these back here.

At the distribution partner where i buy goods for my store, i cant get anywhere near that price, actually the prices here around the $800 are so close to the price the dealer pays so u hardly get anything for selling an iphone here! :lol:

But thx ill chk out italy. :-D

.....and yeah ebay is flooded with iPhone unlocking software for almost no cost at all... :-P

Garfield
27-01-09, 22:46
if that works u own me 10% of your win :D

Lexxuk
27-01-09, 23:10
US iPhones are locked onto the AT&T Network for about 2 years, you can get one for $200 reconditioned, however you have to sign up for a 2 year contract with AT&T.

Wait for the new Palm though, the Palm Pre!

aKe`cj
27-01-09, 23:45
.....and yeah ebay is flooded with iPhone unlocking software for almost no cost at all... :-P

Whatever you do - under NO circumstances buy some dodgy h4ckZ from ebay. The "iphone dev team" (talented folks from here and there) are pretty much the only reliable source and they offer their tools at zero cost.

I wouldnt want to unlock mine though - there's plenty of software available (it's still a phone - no need for shell access here), most functionalities rely on good 3G/HSDPA bandwidth and -at least in germany- taking into account the net-quality of the provider, compared to the other carriers, I do see nuff value for my money.
The iPhone aint half the fun without a decent network and unlim. bandwidth :)

StevenJ
27-01-09, 23:51
There's a lot of people getting scammed too, with offers too good to be true on PS3s, and high end phones.

In short, if it's really cheap, and they ask you to pay in a weird way, don't do it.

Powerpunsh
28-01-09, 18:01
Hmm, found this (http://www.focalprice.com/Mini_IPhone_Quad_band_FM_Touch_Screen_Mobile_Phone_Black_MH206B_6829.html).

This phone seem to be a real one. Here are the comments (http://forums.focalprice.com/Forums/Discussion.htm?sku=MH206B&ThemeID=1250) of this product.

I belive this site is serious. On the other hand i believe the Hard and Software on this phone are less qualitative as on the phones of the mobile-stores.

aKe`cj
28-01-09, 18:24
I belive this site is serious. On the other hand i believe the Hard and Software on this phone are less qualitative as on the phones of the mobile-stores.

:lol:

utter rubbish

SizZLeR
29-01-09, 12:19
Thx for all the feedback guys, ill try and do some more reasearch and see what happens. Cheers!! :-P

specranator
02-02-09, 08:33
i live in california im pretty sure you can only buy them for that price if you agree to a contract for a couple years or so..

if you buy one without a contract though they are unlocked, and also cost alot more. i dont think its quite $800, maybe closer to $600?

dont quote me on anything though :rolleyes:

nobby
02-02-09, 10:44
Ebay is the way !

I saw you could get unlocked ones that work with pay-as-you-go sim cards.

So i might get one for 100 quid :p

IceStorm
03-02-09, 06:12
AT&T sells refurbed 3G iPhones for $50 off regular price with two year contract. It used to be $100 off. $50 is not much of a discount off the regular $199/$299 price.

aKe`cj
04-02-09, 13:15
AT&T sells refurbed 3G iPhones for $50 off regular price with two year contract. It used to be $100 off. $50 is not much of a discount off the regular $199/$299 price.

thats $2 saved per month for using a return device. Seriously... why would anyone want to do that?

IceStorm
04-02-09, 16:11
thats $2 saved per month for using a return device. Seriously... why would anyone want to do that?That was my point. At $100 off, it was much more attractive - iPhone for $99? That's 1/2 price.

At $50 off, it's an insult.

Kanedax
04-02-09, 18:49
So ive been told from some ppl here in Denmark that they've been able to buy iPhones for $200 at small vendors in malls etc.

As i think that sounds very odd because in Denmark u will pay at least 4.800 Dkr (approx $800) for such a device unless u make a very expensive subscription with a phone company and let them lock your iPhone and in the end, the cost comes to the same with the subscription anyway.

So can anyone confirm that it is possible to buy an iPhone in the US withput any subscriptions and sim lock for $200?

800 bucks? Thats fucking crazy. Why people would even buy this thing is beyond me. Fucking morons.

aKe`cj
05-02-09, 01:33
800 bucks? Thats fucking crazy. Why people would even buy this thing is beyond me. Fucking morons.

- cellphone with a crappy 1.3MP cam and a huge display and just about everything you'd expect from a cell.

+

- push email
- perfect & instant sync of contacts, to-do's, calendar, mails, RSS, bookmarks... w/o even to connect it to the notebook.
- google maps in your pocket
- easy wikipedia access
- local train/tram/bus info incl. delays
- top-notch interface...

+

iPod touch

=

1 device thats about 1100€ including 2 years of 3G/HSDPA flatrate on the iPhone and notebook, 2400 min nationwide incl. cells, 1200 SMS.

... to me, it's among the 3 most useful things I've bought in the last couple o' years and totally worth it's cost. If that makes me a "fucking moron" so be it.

Biglines
05-02-09, 11:39
all the things you said there are also available for every windows mobile/android phone, except the pricetag, but instead the ability to literally customize everything u don't like about it.

don't get me wrong, the iphone is a great phone out of the box, but any proper windows mobile phone beats it easily with some personal customization (and yes, there is even an iphone interface for windows mobile devices)

so, if you're looking for a phone that will say "hi, i want a phone that shows what a big apple i have in my pants", or just cba to do some work on your phone, the iphone is a very nice phone.

if you're looking for a phone that will do everything the iphone does, but needs a bit of work but will end up being more suited to your specific needs, I'd look into the new mobile series

ps. the new palm phone looks good too

(note for me an android phone is a windows mobile phone since they can both be interchanged with some work)

Kanedax
05-02-09, 16:17
- cellphone with a crappy 1.3MP cam and a huge display and just about everything you'd expect from a cell.

+

- push email
- perfect & instant sync of contacts, to-do's, calendar, mails, RSS, bookmarks... w/o even to connect it to the notebook.
- google maps in your pocket
- easy wikipedia access
- local train/tram/bus info incl. delays
- top-notch interface...

+

iPod touch

=

1 device thats about 1100€ including 2 years of 3G/HSDPA flatrate on the iPhone and notebook, 2400 min nationwide incl. cells, 1200 SMS.

... to me, it's among the 3 most useful things I've bought in the last couple o' years and totally worth it's cost. If that makes me a "fucking moron" so be it.

I have that, minus the iPod touch, and I got it for 170 USD. To be completely honest though I hardly use any of the features other than texting and calling. That's why I don't see the point.

aKe`cj
05-02-09, 22:13

I've used both - a blackberry and a palm treo, but for me, the iPhone beats them hands down and it just so happens to best fit my needs (including the hassle-free use and superior mac integration). This whole "ego boost toy" thing is out of perspective – it's a phone, not a status-symbol. Where I work, every other (non-ugly) phone is more likely to catch attention ;)