PDA

View Full Version : Vista issues...

JohnGalt
26-01-09, 18:21
Hello,
I loaded NC2 on Vista 32bit and it won’t patch after client downloads the updates.
Yes, I did check virus protection and that is not the issue, all permissions are set to “ALLOW” and I enabled each file.
Yes, I checked write permissions for the main NC2 folder/subfolders in the programs files folder.
Yes, I checked the client.exe file for write permissions
Yes, I loaded the game from the primary C: drive and let it create its own folders.
Yes, I checked the hard drive to make sure there was enough room for the game, there is 346GB free space on the drive.
I did notice that there is no "Patch" folder in the main NC2 folder and a few others didn’t show up either like when we load it in XP, yet the patch server still downloaded the patches to some place.
The error states "ERROR: couldn't open: client.exe, possibly write protected patching failed"
Any comments?

Brammers
26-01-09, 18:31
This thread any help? http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=140582

james_finn
26-01-09, 18:36
You could try making a patch folder then downloading them separately to the folder from ftp://ftp.neocron.com/patches

Alternatively I think the THN (http://www.techhaven.org/) has the patches, else try running the program as Administrator?

/Delphi

nobby
26-01-09, 18:54
did you right click > open as administrator?

Riddle
26-01-09, 19:37
Had exactly that error when i got Vista, it should just be an admin issue. i.e right click run as admin.

JohnGalt
26-01-09, 20:46
Brammers posted a link to another post by Zefrian(Shown below)

What I did after reading Zefrian's post suggested to me by brammers.
I uninstalled NC in Vista and did the following like the post by Zefrian suggested.

Have ADMINISTRATOR Privileges first for this particular procedure please.

On primary C: drive I downloaded the NC client loader (did not execute/load the game yet)

On Primary C: I created a folder called NCGame

I then as ADMINISTRATOR highlighted the NCGame folder and went to properties/security and gave all the selections i.e. Administrators, Users, System and Authenticated Users full control (put a checkmark in all the boxes to the right except "Special Permissions" after selecting the particular user.

An Administrator account with an Administrator log in should be all you really need to adjust if necessary. I did them all because I was fed up:)

I did the same thing above to the NC game loader.exe, I highlighted it in the C:drive (not opened it yet) and then right click, properties, security , then modified the permissions like above.

After, I rebooted the computer because I have old habits I cannot break yet.

Then after I logged into my user, went to C:Drive, found the NC loader and doubled clicked it to activate it.

The loader did its thing till it asked me what "FOLDER" I wanted to load the game in, I "browsed" to the NCGame folder I made on primary C:drive and selected that. Just highlight the folder and click ok.

Then I followed the rest of the normal game loader prompts and the game loaded.

I then went into the options for Norton security BEFORE I LAUNCHED THE GAME, I added the internet permissions to allow the client.exe, the neocronlauncher.exe ect… to work/operate without being bothered.
Now your internet security program "should alert you and allow you to select "allow" the program to operate but, I was again just micromanaging the situation so I could eliminate issues if they arose after installation.

I opened up the client and clicked "Play With Neocronette" :) oh sorry I mean "Launch Neocron" is the correct term.
The patches downloaded and I am about to enjoy my virtual life again:)
Thank-you both for your assistance.

JohnGalt

I admit having no Windows Vista. But There's a common main problem with every Windows with NT kernel (2000, XP, ...) and NTFS file system:

NC needs write access to its own directory.

Therefore it SHOULD NOT be installed at "c:/programm files/", but at some other destination like "e:/games/nc2/" and then give the user-group your login belongs to "full write access" to this directory.
Why?

Windows prevents "normal users" from writing into "c:/programm files/" for security reasons. Therefore it's a bad idea to change the permissions of this directory.
In oder to run a game like Neocron as "normal user" (NOT administrator) and without undermining the security of your System, create a folder like "e:/games/nc2/" and the tell the game setup to install it there (as administrator), and after that change permissions of "e:/games/" and all directories thereunder recursively -> "full acces to this folder for any local user".
After that you should be able to run and patch Neocron without administrative permissions.

boreal
26-01-09, 20:47
do something for me

RIGHT CLICK and then Run AS : windows XP SP2.

taht solve the probleme for my GF, hope it help you

JohnGalt
26-01-09, 21:35
Yes I saw that option to. To do that you need to right click the actual .exe file such as the NeocronLauncher.exe; then after the window opens select the "compatability tab" then you will see that option you mentioned "Run this program in compatability mode for:".

There will be a drop down menu there, usually the "Win XP Service Pack 2" option shows up first unless it has been preveiously checkboxed and selected with somthing else.

I am glad she had a simpler solution than mine. Thanks for your suggestion.
JohnGalt

Asurmen Spec Op
26-01-09, 23:35
Disable User Access Control, it is a joke.
Control Panel-> Users->Turn User Account Control On Or Off
There you go, those permission problems disappear.

Plus, real men run in root, am I right?

NAPPER
27-01-09, 07:05
Yes I saw that option to. To do that you need to right click the actual .exe file such as the NeocronLauncher.exe; then after the window opens select the "compatability tab" then you will see that option you mentioned "Run this program in compatability mode for:".

There will be a drop down menu there, usually the "Win XP Service Pack 2" option shows up first unless it has been preveiously checkboxed and selected with somthing else.

I am glad she had a simpler solution than mine. Thanks for your suggestion.
JohnGalt

I had the same problem just click the window that says run as admin worked for me and alot of others but becareful if u use ventrilo or TS because sometimes happens u wont be able to speak over the game and then if that happens just run them as admin all be ok ;)

Kanedax
27-01-09, 15:23
The C drive is write protected in Vista, change that for the NC folder.

Riddle
27-01-09, 22:02
Glad you got it sorted.

By the way, the SP2 compatible mode fixed a problem i had with no sound in game.

Good Luck.