PDA

View Full Version : Windows

Nymphette79
24-01-09, 23:18
My current copy of Windows on my laptop is part of a volume key but its due to be cancelled soon so will I need to buy a new copy & if so can I put that on both my PC & laptop as i've just discovered my PC Windows is fake.
Also should I buy Vista as i'm hearing mixed reviews on it?
TIA
XXX

25-01-09, 01:12
Unless you buy a volume licence copy (which I suspect is unlikely) product activation should prevent you from installing it on more than 1 PC by prompting you to activate by phone the second and subsequent installs (and then explaining to the operator why the hardware generated code is different to that of the first activated install)

Note however that siginificant changes to your hardware (such as a replacement motherboard) can change the hardware code significantly enough to require reactivation even when only used on a single PC.

I'll let you read into that what you like

You may struggle to get XP retail anymore, and like it or not Vista is here to stay, having said that the next version (Windows 7) isnt not a million miles away so you might be better holding off until you can at least get a free upgrade to Windows 7 offer when you buy Vista (assuming they do such an offer)

nobby
25-01-09, 01:18
Don't get Vista, if you're a bit of a computerphobe, getting vista will kill your brain.
Things are all in different places, not all hardware works properly or at all and games run slower.

I'm not a computerphobe, hell i started playing with computers 17 years ago, and still Vista aggravated me to the point of getting a copy of XP ><

naimex
25-01-09, 02:19
My current copy of Windows on my laptop is part of a volume key but its due to be cancelled soon so will I need to buy a new copy & if so can I put that on both my PC & laptop as i've just discovered my PC Windows is fake.
Also should I buy Vista as i'm hearing mixed reviews on it?
TIA
XXX

uhm. isnt your windows serial key labeled with a sticker on the bottom of your laptop?

then you just reinstall with that key or use a program to switch out the current serial key from within windows.

Lexxuk
25-01-09, 02:43
Wait for Windows 7, I'm using it myself and its a lot faster than Vista even in Beta. I even have it on my laptop (dual core Intel but only 1GB RAM) and its pretty smooth.

If however you *can't* wait for Windows 7, nip down to your local college, go into one of their computer rooms and write down the serial key on the top of the Dell's :lol: :angel:

NAPPER
25-01-09, 06:09
i have been using Vista now for a year and a bit it did take some getting used to but now its fine and i have no prob and it warns u about anything that is trying to get on or off ur pc witch i think for u is a good thing lol ;)

Nick

Nymphette79
25-01-09, 12:07
Lol thanks Nick x

The Windows on my Laptop was tied to a Volume Licence from Uni but after running updates it didn't pass validation as the licence has been cancelled.

Am still unsure what to do lol, its not right to be this confused on a Sunday
O_o

Thanks for all ur input guys, don't know what i'd do without u all sometimes
xxx

zii
25-01-09, 12:48
Or install Ubuntu Linux and run NC on that instead of Windows.

http://wiki.techhaven.org/Running_Neocron_in_Linux

Its dead easy now.